PDA

View Full Version : 42RE Overrunning clutch

Timzjatl
07-22-2004, 04:25 PM
Ok, my tranny slips only in 1st gear when placed in OD. THe FSM Diagnoses this as the overrunning clutch being worn or dammaged. Anyone have any experience with this? The FSM only details this replacement as related to a complete overhaul. Can I go in from the back side of the tranny and replace this clutch without removing it from the truck (It seems like this might work)... any advice? I'd rather not pay $$$ to get the tranny rebuilt, and I am not going to do a swap right now if I can help it.

FinlayZJ
07-22-2004, 04:48 PM
Not sure, but I do know that you can't get the output shaft out w/o taking just about the whole tranny apart. Not sure how the clutches come out. That's about all I can help. I can get a used 42re from the guy that Cam and I bought from for a couple hundred if you can't get it fixed cheap.

good luck.

ATL ZJ
07-22-2004, 06:18 PM
All the internals load into the 42RE from the torque converter side. That is why the damaged torque converter and oil pump assembly had to be removed from the 42RE we messed up during my 4wd conversion in order to get the 4wd output shaft out of the damaged tranny. Supposedly the 2wd and 4wd output shafts are different (behind the bellhousing that mates it to the OD unit), so that output shaft was needed to be installed in the 2wd 42RE for it to function correctly with the 4wd OD unit that bolts up the the t-case. But everything had to be pulled to free the output shaft- it's the last thing to come out.

Hope that makes some sense and helps some.

Timzjatl
07-23-2004, 08:49 AM
That's what I was afraid of. Kevin-
Where is that yard and is there any type of warranty? It would suck to pull it out and replace it with another bad unit.

FinlayZJ
07-23-2004, 02:47 PM
It's in Wilmington, NC (along the coast). He said it's a 30 day warranty, basically ensuring it runs. You can pull one any year from 93-96. I pulled mine from a 96 with like <40K on the clock. It's a crapshoot either way. I would say so far Cam's and mine have been fine, but Cam's had a rebuild due to his unfortunate mistake. I can dig for the # if you want, but it's most likely gonna be up in the air on how long the junkyard tranny will last you. Let me know.