PDA

View Full Version : Front 4-link on the street?

gearhead313
07-20-2004, 12:31 PM
i wanted to know if anyone runs a front 4-link in the front and actually drives in on the street. I haven't been able to get good information on its road manors b/c most people I have found dont street them.

I've also heard that a front 4 link can be quite streetable, it just has to be done right.......what exactly IS "done right"? Thanks for any help and info!

BigDaveZJ
07-20-2004, 12:38 PM
You need some pretty good triangulation of the front control arms to be able to pull it off. JpRngr tried this on the Chalupa and ended up ripping the steering box off the frame because there wasn't quite enough triangulation. The lack of a trackbar was causing the steering system to move the body more than steering. If you can get the arms triangulated enough I would say it's possible, but I'd rather keep the trackbar.

nathaniel
07-20-2004, 02:13 PM
define 4 link
3 arms and a trackbar :lol:
triangulated 4 link no trackbar
check out teras lcg kit

triangulated 4 link in the front is doable but you will be low on lift and need hi steering

gearhead313
07-20-2004, 06:07 PM
ripping steering boxes off the frame gives me the heebie jeebies! Everything so far is at least saying to trianguate them severly. Im not sure now how far they should be out... is there pictures of his rig?

4 link = no track bar, 2 uppers and 2 lowers ...duh :P

I am not really familure with hooking up a high steer setup on this HP44 front i got, i'll eventually get to that....everyone and there mom seems to have done that.

KevinM
07-20-2004, 07:11 PM
I've seen it done on a moderately lifted ZJ. You have to get really creative w/ the steering. Check the pic I put up in NMZJ's coilover post.

One thing I keep thinking is look at the guys with big flexy leaf springs, they usually have high steer and full width axles. It would seem that the steering on a 4 link front would be similar to that on a leaf front rig since the axle will travel only straight up and down. Not an arc like a trac bar.

So my theory is that if you took a rig with leafs, and turned it into 4 link, while keeping the same height, the steering should work. Then I guess you can translate that set up to a ZJ?...watch think?

JpRngr
07-20-2004, 09:36 PM
If you're going to run just the 4 links in the front, you need to either make it a mainly trail rig or use short arms for the triangulation. My 4 link has long arms that don't allow enough triangulation to control side to side movement enough. It's not as big of a deal on the trail, but it sucks none the less. It is most apparent on the trail though. I've had rocks turn the wheels and not move the steering wheel because the axle shifts. :roll: This is part of the reason I was going to full hydro steering. Hopefully, hydro-assist will help enough to overcome this though as I don't want to give up my high speed romps!

Corey

Alaska ZJ
07-21-2004, 09:51 AM
Corey, I think that your full hydro system is just not matched correctly.

Seriously if 45 in Ag tires can romp down the beach at 60mph you should be able to make your 38's handle just fine.

Balanced Ram would me your first change. Then make sure your Valve is correct for your ram. Seriously I think you can get full hydro to work just fine.

gearhead313
07-21-2004, 10:02 AM
I definitly hear what KevinM is saying...and then i understand how keeping the lengths of the upper arms at least down to get them more triangulated. Seems like we're heading in the correct direction....

I am not really educated on the mechanics of a hydro setup, but I do know that valve sizes are really important. Coming to mind is a story i heard about a full hydro buggy trying to make a "more than necessary" trip down the road and went to switch lanes, steering totally turned continuously to that side and flipped over a bunch of times. I think it was not enough restriction or something that was part of the problem.

Tommy
09-27-2004, 11:20 AM
What about some thing like this?

http://www.sn-fab.com/suspensions/gecko01.jpg