PDA

View Full Version : Cooling issues/resolutions

Creech
07-20-2004, 12:01 AM
I have a 99WJ. Yes it has cooling issues, but only on the trail. Especially since the 4.56's went in.

Here's my idea. Remove the stock fan mounted to the motor, and that shitty little electric thing on the radiator. Replace it with a big ass electric ( like 16" or so) puller. Whaddya think? Might try to sqeeze another smaller pusher in front too. Dunno.

Give bitches, raves, and all dumbass remarks that come to mind. I'm doing something this weekend.

JpRngr
07-20-2004, 12:52 AM
Look down a little. You would find this.

http://mallcrawlin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=169

Corey

Creech
07-20-2004, 08:48 AM
I usually try not to pay much attention to anything that Henley has posted. You see, unlike him, I don't have unlimited funds. He has a custom part from Sunray engineering on there to make that work. I'm making a trip to Advance Auto parts. Good info though.

Alaska ZJ
07-20-2004, 11:12 AM
Not to be a dick but you should pay attention to what Homo Hippy has to say. Specially on this board. If I left it there then it has some validity and usefulness.

My opinion. Make a direct drive fan. Fuck all that clutch shit. Sure it sounds like CH47 but F it.

Creech
07-20-2004, 11:30 AM
You did that on your ZJ with some big screws, didn't you?

I might try that. I'm pretty sure the clutch is getting ready to go anyway. i'm still leaning towards the big electric. Just to be different and try it out. Not like I can't just do the direct drive thing later on if I don't like the electric.

jeepers007
07-20-2004, 02:36 PM
Definately go clutch fan or direct drive. Get rid of the electric shtuff - that's for hotrods and power queens. If you still have to add an electric pusher later, that's relatively easy to do.

IMO, clutch fans are much more reliable than electric too. My neighbors WJ has had to have two electric fan replacements. I've replaced the fan clutch on my ZJ once... And, when fan clutches fail, your fan still turns.

JpRngr
07-20-2004, 02:56 PM
I usually try not to pay much attention to anything that Henley has posted. You see, unlike him, I don't have unlimited funds. He has a custom part from Sunray engineering on there to make that work. I'm making a trip to Advance Auto parts. Good info though.

After as much trouble as he's went through to get his Jeep to NOT overheat, I DEFINITELY WOULD listen to what he has to say on this subject! His setup may be pricey, but he has probably went through alot more dough to get to where he's at than what his current setup costs. So listen to what he has to say(at least on this subject).

Corey

Creech
07-20-2004, 02:58 PM
Then please feel free, Pig Fucker (love the avatar), to explain to me how a commoner such as myself may upgrade in the same way that you have to the Superman of clutch fans.

Jim311
07-20-2004, 09:12 PM
I've been thinking about putting in an auxillary electric myself. My mechanical works fine except on the trail, and I don't really think I want my Jeep sounding like a Huey, so the screws in the clutch is a no-go. If I can find a small auxillary fan, I might put a little pusher in there.

Don S
07-23-2004, 01:14 AM
Creech;

... The automatic transmissions and their torque converters that don’t lock-up while crawling put a lot of heat into the cooling system. I was surprised that my 99 4.7 WJ only starts to heat up while crawling up places like Imogene Pass with its cool ambient temperatures.
You might try removing the extra tranny-cooler from in front of the radiator and A/C condenser and mount it as a pre-cooler under the body in a spot away from the exhaust system. I mounted my extra tranny-cooler on top of the front skidplate behind the radiator and it seems to be doing a good job there.

Have a good one ;) and CUL Don S..