View Full Version : D44 Leaking + Noise

LouisianaZJ
07-19-2004, 12:30 AM
Specs:
XJ w/ 231 HPD30 front
D44 w/ t-lock and orignial 3.55
w/drums
33" BFGs
Tom Woods Short shaft kit and new Cv style shaft, new u joints also, pinion looks good, pointing up about 2* below in-line with the d-shaft .

Problem:
leak around the housing where it connects to the axle tubes (and on the weld spots, or pins that hold it to the axle tube).. working on pics

it also leaks on the inboard side of the drum brake on the pass side

I get a humming sound when I am at 40mph+ and let off gas suddenly (coast)
I get vibes sometimes at 60-70mph but not always (might be from the front with stock D-shaft?)

Question:
do you think it is a bad gear setup, or just a bad pinion angle? What seal do you think it is causing the leak?

I am breaking open the diffs this week to change fluid. Would I be able to see excessive wer on the coast side of the gear teeth if that is the problem?

GetoZJ
07-19-2004, 12:32 AM
If its leaking where you say, sounds to me like the housing(s) could be tweaked.

LouisianaZJ
07-19-2004, 12:36 AM
how would I be able to determine or measure to see if it is tweaked?

LouisianaZJ
07-19-2004, 12:41 AM
Jay Yew pic server:
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=4686605#post4686605

LouisianaZJ
07-23-2004, 06:03 PM
I popped open the covers today and took pics, I dont know what to look for with this shit, so take a look for me.

robselina
07-23-2004, 11:21 PM
talking out of my ass here, but isn't there a seal on the tubes near the carrier? if it's shot, that explains your leak....as for the vibes, are you shure that you're aligned, ballanced and not having a little bit of front wobble from the steering stabilizer, loose track bar or anything like that?

LouisianaZJ
07-23-2004, 11:42 PM
Well, just bought it last week so I have not gone thru everything just yet. The tires only have like 1.5k on them so I assume they are pretty balanced stilll.

the D44 is out of like a waggy so it is pretty old, I dont know if he replaced the bearings/seals yet.

I think I am just going to nurse it along till it dies/ or till I have funds to regear front and rear to 4.56 (currently 3.55), weld the tubes on 44, and add a locker or no slip to the back