PDA

View Full Version : heavier duty motor mounts

BigDaveZJ
07-18-2004, 09:27 PM
I'm snapping motor mounts at a rather rapid pace, two in less than 6 months. And it's not the rubber thats wearing out, it's the metal thats snapping! This is a pic of how the last two have snapped.

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/Pics/motormount.jpg

My tranny mount is shot too I believe, and I'm thinking that is leading to the bizarre manner in which these are breaking. Has anybody ever beefed up a motor mount or know of a source for some stronger ones??? It's really unsettling when one side of you motor can move up to 6" from drive to reverse!!

JpRngr
07-18-2004, 09:43 PM
So does yours have the third bolt to the block that Scott was fighting with last night? If not, that could be why. Judging by where it's breaking, I'd say you need it if it's not there. 8)

Corey

BTW, you're getting more use out of my trailer than I am!

BigDaveZJ
07-18-2004, 09:45 PM
To my knowledge it's NEVER had that bolt. I got my motor mounts replaced around 90k miles??? when I blew the first CV driveshaft. I figure it lasted from then until now, so it's probably something else. My big guess is the tranny mount, but I dunno for sure. <off to get you your special user title!>

JpRngr
07-18-2004, 09:51 PM
When you replace it, I would go ahead and put one back in there. It should help. It will at least make it twice as difficult to rip that metal.

Corey

OverkillZJ
07-20-2004, 08:33 PM
...I'm thinking that that back bolt isn't really that important... Not only because I've yet to see a stock ZJ have one (mine didn't, nor did my dads old 94) - but because that metal looks like it's going to rip there nomatter how many bolts you secure it with. It's Daves Jeep that hates him, not the missing bolt :wink:

JpRngr
07-20-2004, 09:25 PM
All of the ones I have done, have had the third bolt. I would say it's more important than you're giving it credit for. :lol: W/O the third bolt, you're basically putting all the weight and torque through only the one piece of metal where Dave is breaking. With the third bolt, you are doubling the amount of metal that is taking the stress.

Corey

OverkillZJ
07-21-2004, 11:29 PM
All of the ones I have done, have had the third bolt. I would say it's more important than you're giving it credit for. :lol: W/O the third bolt, you're basically putting all the weight and torque through only the one piece of metal where Dave is breaking. With the third bolt, you are doubling the amount of metal that is taking the stress.

Corey

Good point. I wonder why some ZJ's came with and some without; makes no sense.

gsh
07-22-2004, 12:09 AM
Good point. I wonder why some ZJ's came with and some without; makes no sense.

Makes perfect sense DC, Jeep, how else would it be done?

Just read about a TSB on '96's with left turn signal missing at the trailer plug. They forgot to put a wire in.

Mine doesn't have the caster adjuster bolts, just plain bolts.

Kraqa
07-22-2004, 01:07 AM
why don't you get some poly bushings and build some your self wouldn'tbe hard.

nthall020320
10-24-2009, 11:23 PM
Does this motor mount carnage mark presents with any drivetrain modificaiton in the last 9 months? I am not putting out a cause I am merely saying something new is usually marked be something else new. Even a different wheeling terrain?

nthall020320
10-24-2009, 11:31 PM
Rapid side to side movement from a bad trans mount could cause problem.. Especially since mounts prevent engine movement. but more importantly typical engine movement the torqing rotation of and engine. throw in a side to side slap from a bad trans mount and voila. But if it is only a matter of bracket breakage... Do you think maybe have a body shop see if unibody is tweaked a little. If so making a mount to offset said tweak maybe a the correction. You probably wouldn't need the body shop measuring tapes and pen and paper. measure is an X in different spots on the unibody all the way down and then a large measurement end of rail to rail in an X and you will know for sure... But as always keep it simple. Sorry for the babble.

dp96zj
10-24-2009, 11:37 PM
Rapid side to side movement from a bad trans mount could cause problem.. Especially since mounts prevent engine movement. but more importantly typical engine movement the torqing rotation of and engine. throw in a side to side slap from a bad trans mount and voila. But if it is only a matter of bracket breakage... Do you think maybe have a body shop see if unibody is tweaked a little. If so making a mount to offset said tweak maybe a the correction. You probably wouldn't need the body shop measuring tapes and pen and paper. measure is an X in different spots on the unibody all the way down and then a large measurement end of rail to rail in an X and you will know for sure... But as always keep it simple. Sorry for the babble.

Dude, this is probably one of the first EVER threads on MC. It's THAT old. Check the dates, and don't revive old threads unless you have a question relevant to the topic.

nthall020320
10-24-2009, 11:40 PM
sorry bored I am just looking for tech topics guess if no ones sees it than they can't say I was wrong........ Dang busted
:D