PDA

View Full Version : 46RH tranny swap ????

FB
07-18-2004, 07:07 PM
I have gone throught 3, 46RH transmissions in the past year in my 94 ZJ 5.2L. I am getting tired of swaping new ones in. I just finnished pulling the tranny. Before I go and get another do I have any bolt up options other then the 46RH that are better?

If the 46RH is my only option, what can be done to change the way the tranny is vented. The vent hole inside the bellhousing is the stupidest thing I have seen.

Vinnie
07-18-2004, 09:37 PM
if your up for lots of custom crossmembers/driveshafts an NV4500 out of a 5speed 5.2/5.9 ram will bolt up. A 46RE would as well, but then you need a computer, and Im not sure if it will talk to the engine at all...rh = hydraulic re = electronic.
Personally my ZJ has eaten 1 46RH and may be on its way to eatin #2...

jeepers007
07-19-2004, 02:15 PM
You might be able to bolt in an A727 transmission. It would be a 3 speed auto though. You could buy a performance rebuilt one for probably less than the a518 (46RH). Those are really solid auto tranny's - although you would be without your overdrive.

Not sure what it would do to your computer.

Since you've gone thru 3 A518s, then sounds like something other than the tranny itself might be leading to their early demise. Is your tranny cooler plugged or something?

Maybe try a different rebuilder/remanufacturer?

FB
07-19-2004, 06:59 PM
The 2 times prior to this was from river crossings that were to deep for the stupid vent hole. Both times I eneded up with pepto bismol like fluid in my tranny.
This time it was from towing a trailer to Hollister California from Calgary Alberta for this years TTC. My O/D button would not turn the O/D off on the way back.

Over all I do not think the 46RH is a bad tranny. I just really hate the way its vented.

Cheers
FB

sailbrooks
04-06-2006, 08:45 PM
haha.......so move the fawking vent up