PDA

View Full Version : Ford Taurus fan..

Swamp boy
07-15-2004, 04:39 PM
Ford Taurus Two Speed Fan Swap
Author: Swamp Boy

This is the best mod I have ever done to my ZJ. Any of you with a clutch fan know what I am talking about when I say you can feel that thing dragging on your engine when it comes on.. Not to mention the noise it makes and if you do deep water crossing you definitely want to be able to turn your fan off...

It is a Ford 8C607 fan. It comes in the 90 to 95 Ford Taurus and Lincoln Mark VIII with the 3.8 litre engine.

Fan
http://www.jeephorizons.com/tech/fan/fan.jpg

So without further ado, here is the picture of my new fan...

Finished product.
http://www.jeephorizons.com/tech/fan/final.jpg

Here is the location of my relays - passenger side behind overflow tank.

http://www.jeephorizons.com/tech/fan/relay.jpg

In this picture you can also see where I ran the wires to the switches thru the fender into the cab.

Here is what the front of my engine looks like now

http://www.jeephorizons.com/tech/fan/engine.jpg

To do this install you first have to remove your clutch fan

This is done by holding the pulley still and turning the big nut that you see in the engine pic (you will see it when you look at your motor.)

For 4.0 people there is no big nut, just 4 13mm bolts.

Anyway remove the fan and the stock shroud and take the new fan.
It will clip right into the radiator edge where your stock shroud was.

This is one of the best parts - it snaps right in!
I had to fab up 2 small strips that I bolted to the stock shroud screws and then bent to fit against the fan. I then drilled 2 holes in the electric fan shroud and put a screw and nut to hold them on. (1/4 X 1" and use a washer)
Wiring is simple .. Green is ground.. And one of the others is high the other is low..(three wires =))

If you have any questions just ask. If you need help wiring the fan, PM me.

Good luck and enjoy...
Carl

Oh, I almost forgot... This is where I put my switches.

http://www.jeephorizons.com/tech/fan/switch.jpg

The first from the bottom is my OBA. The 2nd is for low speed and the top is for high speed.

chopshop
07-15-2004, 05:11 PM
nice. did you use heavy duty relays? I've seen some people say to use great big Ford starter relays, or winch relays to handle the startup amps.

My third fan clutch in 2 months is dying.....gonna call around the junkyards this weekend, your pic def. helps.

So you run full manual on the switches? did you look into gearing up a temp. sensor so you could have auto on?

That would be ideal: 3 positions - 1. auto on with temp. + ignition (low speed)
2. manual on, ign. or not (high speed)
3. off

Swamp boy
07-16-2004, 11:16 PM
I use a ford starter relay and I have 8gauge wire.. I only had one problem with the original setup.. (30amp relay) It got hot and melted so I ran heavier wire.. I then put the ford starter relay on as a safety feature on high only..
On low it s fine...

Temp sensor was originally in the plans but I do alot of deep water and mudd and so I just stuck with the switch only so I wouldnt forget..or it turn on at an inoprotune time..

Carl

NorthernZJ
07-25-2004, 02:03 PM
I just put in one of these too. Works great so far without a really big relay. Chopshop let me know if you need a fan clutch. I have one which I just pulled of and it has very low miles, maybe 5000 or something. I'll give it to you for $5 bucks plus shipping or something. Email me at info@rockcontrol.com

Thanks
Ty

deadman
10-04-2004, 09:20 AM
A guy on JU wants to sell his Taurus fan, but before I'll take it...

Any reason why you didn't just swap a 5.9 e-fan in? Is the ford one better?

If the Taurus fan is that great, then I'll get it, but if not, I would just buy a 5.9 fan. (The 5.9 fan I can get here in Germany, the Taurus I'll have to ship across the ocean.)

BTW... how much do these go for? The guy on JU says best offer... and I don't know how much to offer. I don't want a great deal, but I also don't want to give him way too much.

thanks for any help...
Sascha

Swamp boy
10-26-2004, 08:48 AM
I used the Taurus fan because there just arent any 5.9's in the bone yard.. :D

Taurus fan moves alot of air and its 2 Speed .. I paid $12 for mine So if you offer him $20 He should be happy.. If he is not Keep looking...

If you can get a 5.9 fan around there and not spend a mint it might be worth it but the Taurus fans are plentiful in the bone yards and very cheap...

Hope that answers your question...

Carl

OverkillZJ
10-26-2004, 03:08 PM
Looks good. Anyone have any numbers on how many CFM that baby moves?

I think I'm the only one who doesn't mind the noise of the mechanical fan, let alone the power it robs. I've got more power than I need anyway, I just wish that I could shut it off.

MaineZJ
10-26-2004, 05:49 PM
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295444
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293231

Nordic1
10-27-2004, 03:16 AM
http://search.ebay.com/taurus-fan_W0QQsokeywordredirectZ1QQfromZR8

They're all over ebay for like 80 bucks

BigDaveZJ
10-27-2004, 05:02 AM
Looks good. Anyone have any numbers on how many CFM that baby moves?

I think I'm the only one who doesn't mind the noise of the mechanical fan, let alone the power it robs. I've got more power than I need anyway, I just wish that I could shut it off.

I don't mind the noise or power robbing, I'm just kinda sick of having to rev the motor every once in a while when wheelin in hot weather!

deadman
10-27-2004, 11:13 AM
Hope that answers your question...

Yes, thank you!

Kraqa
10-28-2004, 12:36 AM
thanks goingoffroading. now you forced me to bid on it.

Nordic1
10-28-2004, 02:07 AM
http://www.fototime.com/%7B0A262F76-8BA5-4F2A-8FA2-1DD0BF640ADA%7D/picture.JPG

MaineZJ
10-28-2004, 07:23 AM
there's still 5 days on that.... it's gonna go for a bit more than $5

Kraqa
10-28-2004, 03:06 PM
ya but in the end it will be in my hands and thats all that matters. muuu-huuu-waaa-haaaa

OverkillZJ
10-28-2004, 05:21 PM
http://www.fototime.com/%7B0A262F76-8BA5-4F2A-8FA2-1DD0BF640ADA%7D/picture.JPG

:lol:

Alaska ZJ
10-28-2004, 07:19 PM
Now that is funny.

Hey if you all want I can go get a shitload of these out of the local yard.....I can do shipping. Let me know and I will go get some.

Kraqa
10-29-2004, 12:32 AM
man i can't beleive a action just ended and one sold for 12.50 US. my bid was 12.00. that makes me SOOOOO mad, if only i wasn';t at school writing a mid term i could have owned it. of course it would still take 5 weeks to get here. damn US customs. they've been holding my TRE's for 2 weeks now.

gearhead313
10-29-2004, 11:02 AM
chets_vettes 0wns you :shock:

OverkillZJ
10-29-2004, 12:45 PM
chets_vettes 0wns you :shock:

Oh come on, admit it, YOU ARE CHETS VETTES http://www.mallcrawlin.com/ForumPics/fingersmile.jpg

Swamp boy
10-29-2004, 05:56 PM
chets_vettes -----US $20.50---- Oct-29-04 08:01:29 PDT

kraqa-------------US $20.00--- Oct-27-04 21:34:33 PDT

sllimj ------- US $20.00--- Oct-29-04 07:03:04 PDT

sllimj ------- US $17.00--- Oct-29-04 07:02:36 PDT

sllimj ------- US $14.00 --- Oct-29-04 07:02:19 PDT

sllimj ------- US $13.00 --- Oct-29-04 07:01:56 PDT

itsajeepthing9515ms --- US $12.00--- Oct-28-04 00:52:30 PDT

itsajeepthing9515ms --- US $10.00 --- Oct-28-04 00:51:54 PDT

goingoffroading -----) US $5.00--- Oct-27-04 00:14:23 PDT

kraqa--------US $2.50--- Oct-27-04 21:33:48 PDT

kraqa

:lol: :lol: You guys are funny...

I will go to the bone yard next weekend and look around.. I will grab every one I see they are $12.50 here...

Ill let you know how many I get ... :D

Kraqa
10-29-2004, 06:59 PM
I'L TAKE ONE IF THERE THAT CHEEP.

nathaniel
10-29-2004, 07:02 PM
I'L TAKE ONE IF THERE THAT CHEEP.

me too

Swamp boy
10-30-2004, 12:21 AM
Ok.. Ill let you know as soon as I get them.. Probobly next weekend ...
My daughters birthday is Holloween so I dont get to do anything this weekend but trick or treat and play with her new toys... :lol:

Nordic1
10-30-2004, 02:37 AM
I'm down if you snag a few... do you prefer visa or paypal :) (mild hint of sarcasm...) :thumbsup:

Swamp boy
10-31-2004, 11:08 AM
Paypal will be cool .. But dont start sending your money yet.. I still have to go to the yards and find them. But last time I was there I found 5 and I wasnt even looking.. :D

Nordic1
11-02-2004, 04:23 AM
Any word on the taurus fans?

Swamp boy
11-03-2004, 10:37 PM
I did say next weekend didnt I.. :D

My daughters birthday is Holloween so I wasnt able to do anything this weekend .. I am going next weekend..

Carl

Kraqa
11-21-2004, 06:38 PM
Fans are put on hold Carl tripped on his fuzzy pink pillows and smugged his makeup.

chadjans
11-21-2004, 09:01 PM
Is Carl patched up? If so Chad is interested in a fan also....

Chad

Swamp boy
01-15-2005, 01:58 AM
Sorry it took me so long to get the fans but its been a crazy time lately..
Work has gone nuts and I recently started having to maintain another restaurant.. IN MIAMI>>>> .. So anyway.. I have been doing alot of travel and such lately.. But I am home for a while.. I went to the yard the other day and I found one fan.. Its in my garage..

Who wants it...

I will go back and look agian Probobly this sunday.. SInce I am certainly not going back to Miami any time soon.. Its not a long flight but going there working and coming home is starting to suck..

Anyway.. 1 fan ready to go...

Kraqa was first so he gets first dibs..

Carl

Kraqa
01-15-2005, 08:56 PM
* cough.

i'm here.

let me get my paypal working again

Swamp boy
01-16-2005, 12:51 AM
Just PM me when you are ready..

For you other guys .. I am going again some time this week.. Ill let you know what I find....

Carl

nate
05-09-2005, 06:22 AM
I remember this thread today while I was installing my fan. Any reason you installed the fan upside down?

I put mine lower on the radiator, so the clips on the bottom of my radiator "lock" into the shroud. I was going to put it up higher, but the water pump pulley was in the way. I guess if I put it upside down though it may have fit.

I was thinking after that with it being lower it will dip in the water/mud more... but fuck it. If the motor burns up, I'll get a new one. :mrgreen: I'm pretty happy with my install, came out really clean actually.

I have a bling Flex a lite controller that I'm going wiring in sometime. It's only rated to like 25 or 30 amps... Kolak said it would be fine though... hope it is... I will be pissed as hell if my Jeep burns down.

Swamp boy
05-09-2005, 09:44 PM
Yup... Upside down to clear water pump... Not like it matters which side is up on a fan... :mrgreen:

Oh yeah... I am running a temp sensor on my low side it has held up for quite a while...

Carl

TrojanMan
05-10-2005, 01:53 AM
http://www.4x4mods.com/Product/Jeep/rockerswitches.html These switches (fan) would look extra bling for this project.

Also.. without the fan on the water pump, wouldn't this make the water pump flow more? (weight and air resistance from fan are no longer present).. also this means less strain on the belt.. more HP! Someone take this to the dyno.

As soon as the stroker is built and in, I'll probably put one in mine.. I think there are a few at my junkyard, except I have tons with the dual fans. If I find any i'll take pics and post up!

Swamp boy
05-10-2005, 09:34 AM
It gives you a little extra HP..

More importantly it relieves strain on the engine and water pump .. And feels a ton better... :smt003

TrojanMan
08-11-2005, 03:27 AM
Update for you 4.0 people - I got mine installed today, I had to cut my water pump studs in half, though. I pretty much bolted the water pump pulley back on w/ lock washers, then cut the studs 2 threads back or so.

I used metal strapping found at lowes and self tapping sheet metal screws to hold everything together. I ran out of energy before I got the wiring perfect, but so far it's looking good.

*edit* I also had to cut about 1" of plastic off of the top of the fan molding.

bambamzj
08-20-2005, 05:29 PM
I just replaced the pully studs with some grade 8 bolts. I also upgraded my altentator to 136 as most 4.0 come with a 90. The pully is 7 grove instead of six but i left it alone and it has worked fine for like a year or so.

TrojanMan
10-18-2005, 12:38 AM
I just replaced the pully studs with some grade 8 bolts. I also upgraded my altentator to 136 as most 4.0 come with a 90. The pully is 7 grove instead of six but i left it alone and it has worked fine for like a year or so.

You can take the stock alternator and the 5.9 alternator to a parts store and they'll swap the pulleys for free.

Michael
11-03-2005, 03:29 AM
how do you mount this for a 4.0 after you take the old shroud and can off? anyone got a picture?

CurtP
11-28-2005, 02:27 AM
Perma-Cool 19117 18" fan works well for the 4.0 using the stock shroud and some work to the bracket that comes with it. I put the motor towards the radiator, reversed the polarity and used a Flex-a-lite varible speed controller. It's been working well for me so far - and since it doesn't kick on until the engine gets hot, the heater works very quickly. Since I'm a stickler over details, most people don't even notice that it's not stock. The downside is it's more expensive than the Taurus fan (but it doesn't have the current draw of the Taurus fan either).

I still keep my Hayden HD clutch and fan around just in case the electric one craps out - but there hasn't been any problems (yet)!

TrojanMan
03-19-2006, 01:25 AM
High speed relay blew out recently. I'm not 100% sure if it's the relay or one of the connections. The insulation around the connections to the relay is looking black.. I should have used bigger wire. Good news is I can't tell a difference between high speed and low speed with the exception of noise and voltage drop. low cools just as well as high.

TrojanMan
04-30-2006, 02:32 AM
My fan just died a few days ago. First it started to make grinding noises like a bearing was going out. Next day the engine started smoking and it quit working. Tomorrow i'm going to see if the high side will work - hopefully there are two seperate motors. I think I might have to put a temperature controlled switch on it. I don't think it was made to run continuously.

Good news is I've been driving around without a fan just fine. The only time it heats up is when i'm sitting in traffic or what not. That's when it gets dangerous... but highway is 100% fine without a fan.

J B
05-01-2006, 09:25 AM
I'll warn you guys using the Ford starter relay....that thing isn't meant for continuous duty and it won't last long. You might get a few months out of it or something, but they will die. I used them for something several years back (I forget what, might have been a fan). I eventually just changed it out for a good relay since I got tired of replacing them.

If you're using the Ford starter relay, make sure you keep a spare handy.

OverkillZJ
05-01-2006, 12:10 PM
For those that did this mod, how did your fan sound while it was still running well? Mine just came, and it seems to work fine but I'm not sure if it sounds right. It doesn't sound like it's "grinding" but it sounsd like there's mude against somthing.

I guess I'll take it apart and take a look.

goodolboy71
05-01-2006, 12:48 PM
been running mine for a little over 1 1/2 yrs now.....i had problems with the realys at first, ran 2 40 amps that kept burning up, and the starter relay that burned up too, i finally went with the big bosche one and its been gret for a yr now with the diode in place....now it seems like the high speed isnt as high as it used to be, use to when it came on it was loud roar moving the air, now it faster than slow speed, but not as fast as it was.

the noise you are hearing, mine sounds fine running, but when it kicks off it makes a little not grinding noise, but kinda like what you are describing, but its done that since day one so i havent bothered with it...i need to put a switch on mine so its not running when i am on the interstate cause its not needed like Trojan said...mine is set on a temp switch but i dont have an interupt so that needs to go on soon i guess

violatedppl
05-01-2006, 12:49 PM
I am looking at doing this, but on low has anyone ever had a prob with cooling, more on the trail than city/highway. if not Im not sure I Would even hook up the high, but mybe

Zjeeper
05-01-2006, 01:05 PM
so anyone who has run this successfully what relays did you use and how did you wire it up? Can you take some pics of the wiring since i think i might do this this weekend. i've wired lights radios and amps and shit but never had to do relays so some pics or how to would be great
thanks

DCHZJ
05-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Check out this (Click Here (http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17758&page=4&pp=20&highlight=electric+taurus+fan)) from Full Size Bronco's Go through this thread it has everything you need.

TrojanMan
05-01-2006, 01:52 PM
I am looking at doing this, but on low has anyone ever had a prob with cooling, more on the trail than city/highway. if not Im not sure I Would even hook up the high, but mybe

Low is all I had working for a while because my starter relay went out too. The bosch 30A relay worked fine for low.

Zjeeper
05-01-2006, 01:58 PM
I ended up finding http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/02/electricfan/index.php (this) too

Zjeeper
05-01-2006, 02:50 PM
what kind and how did you mount the temp sensor on the 5.2?

goodolboy71
05-01-2006, 04:00 PM
i used the bosche relay listed in this ford writeup http://highrpm.org/howto/taurus%20fan%20install/taurusfan.HTML

for a yr now with no problems on high and low side, but get the diode as well from Radio SHack to keep from burning them up. as far as the temp control i just used the 20.00 hayden unit that probes into the grille and its what activates the relay on my setup.

on high in the winter it came on only in traffic, now that its warmer it kicks on and off, in traffic when it kicks on on high it lowers down to 190 or so and stays under 210 all day long on the 4.0

Zjeeper
05-01-2006, 06:03 PM
so does the relay control when to switch from low to high off of the hayden unit?

goodolboy71
05-01-2006, 07:37 PM
so does the relay control when to switch from low to high off of the hayden unit?
no...relay just acts as a power transfer from battery to fan...hayden unit comes on at whatever temp i set it at, and it triggers on the relay( just like a switch does) i dont use low...just high now but i ran around on low a few times for the hell of it and it works fine

Zjeeper
05-01-2006, 07:46 PM
i found this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Relay-Thermostat-Kit-4-Electric-Fan-or-Water-Pump_W0QQitemZ8061664470QQcategoryZ33600QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem
and i think i might switch out some of the main wires and relays and wire in a manual switch and give that a try

goodolboy71
05-01-2006, 08:20 PM
if that is just a 40 amp relay it wont last

Cue-Ball
05-01-2006, 08:21 PM
i found this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Relay-Thermostat-Kit-4-Electric-Fan-or-Water-Pump_W0QQitemZ8061664470QQcategoryZ33600QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem
and i think i might switch out some of the main wires and relays and wire in a manual switch and give that a try

For $20 looks like it is worth a shot.

scubatch2
05-01-2006, 11:15 PM
this is the relay w/temp sensor I used,just for the low setting.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c287/scubatch/P1010169.jpg

CurtP
05-02-2006, 06:57 AM
Not a very good place (more specifically, position) to mount that. Even though it's potted, that variable resister isn't. Should have mounted it higher and on its side (like on the inner fender on the left side of the battery). Or at least seal the rest of it up with some RTV after you get it set the way you want it.

Do the connectors for the relay go all the way through the base so any water that gets in the contacts can drain? I think I'd be covering those with a good bit of dielectric grease!

goodolboy71
05-02-2006, 08:30 AM
this is the relay w/temp sensor I used,just for the low setting.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c287/scubatch/P1010169.jpg
dont use that for the high side....i went thorugh 2 of those and got stranded with some LA4x4 folks in Baton Rouge once...each lasted about a wk or so before they burnt up

Zjeeper
05-02-2006, 07:39 PM
is there an easy way to test the high/low settings when im at the junkyard?

TrojanMan
05-02-2006, 10:42 PM
bring a car battery with you?

Zjeeper
05-02-2006, 11:16 PM
i dont think you can

scubatch2
05-03-2006, 12:46 AM
Not a very good place (more specifically, position) to mount that. Even though it's potted, that variable resister isn't. Should have mounted it higher and on its side (like on the inner fender on the left side of the battery). Or at least seal the rest of it up with some RTV after you get it set the way you want it.

Do the connectors for the relay go all the way through the base so any water that gets in the contacts can drain? I think I'd be covering those with a good bit of dielectric grease!

Thanks for the tip's,I will move it or grease it up real good.

Swamp boy
05-04-2006, 12:18 AM
Good ol boy.. What are you running now?

I use a ford starter solinoid ..Works fine for me..

Off topic.. Hows everything going?? Havent talked to you lately..

DCHZJ
05-04-2006, 08:23 AM
i dont think you can

Ask them to test it for you. They should without a problem.

TrojanMan
05-04-2006, 09:44 AM
solenoid or relay? is your solenoid controlling the high continuously?

goodolboy71
05-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Good ol boy.. What are you running now?

I use a ford starter solinoid ..Works fine for me..

Off topic.. Hows everything going?? Havent talked to you lately..
i used the ford and it burnt up within a wk....i ended up getting that 20.00 bosche relay that was on that mustang writeup and its triggered on by a cheap hayden temp controller....other than that i am still running that fan..the ZJ doesnt see DD duty any more so it works just fine for me

what have you been up too, are you back in your house now? I graduated and moved to Columbia SC and moved ol girl with me( talked about a pissed out cajun mom in slidell).....her mom lost it all cause she lived right there on Carr drive right off the old hwy 11 bridge in Slidel= all washed out to lake so she wasnt too happy that i was takin her only kid far away.....other than that everything is good, i hope to get down there again in a few wks and see some folks...i told greddy and midget i would help out with his YJ if i came

goodolboy71
05-04-2006, 10:45 AM
solenoid or relay? is your solenoid controlling the high continuously?
he is not the only having good luck with that, i have seen others also, i may have jsut gotten a crappy one, but mine didnt last long

TrojanMan
05-04-2006, 10:49 AM
he is not the only having good luck with that, i have seen others also, i may have jsut gotten a crappy one, but mine didnt last long

my ford relay only lasted a few months

Swamp boy
05-04-2006, 11:47 PM
Mine is on the high side I rarely use it. I have the low side on the temp switch.

http://images.igloos.ca/d/77985-3/IM003398.JPG

High side

http://images.igloos.ca/d/77981-1/IM003397.JPG

Low side

And I am throwing in the cruise control just for shits and giggles.

http://images.igloos.ca/d/78475-1/fc76b215.jpg

ZJdrive
06-23-2006, 05:32 PM
Hi gents,

since a few days I am lucky to have one of the famous taurus fans on my workbench, shipped from NC to Germany.... Throwing the hardware in the engine bay shouldn´t be a problem but I found three wires coming out of the fan: brown/green - brown/yellow - black.

As I am not familiar with the US wire colours, does somebody know which one is ground - low - high? Can I assume that black is ground...?:confused:

As an additional feature, I will use the waterpump/pulley out of an XJ to gain a bit more space between waterpump pulley and fan shroud.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Frank

Swamp boy
06-23-2006, 05:46 PM
BLack would be ground...

Then the other two and touch them to the battery and see which makes it turn faster...

That will be high speed..

And conversly the one that turns slower will be low speed....:D

I think the brown and yellow is high but I have been wrong before...

The battery is the easiest way to tell without me actually getting up and going outside and looking...

Since I am one of those lazy americans I am going to suggest the battery method...:D:D

In other words...

Erwarten Sie uns nicht stumme Amerikaner, alles für Sie zu tun…
Tun Sie es sich Sie faule Scheiße.:smt064

:rofl::rofl:

ZJdrive
06-23-2006, 05:58 PM
Since I am one of those lazy americans I am going to suggest the battery method...:D:D
yep, battery method would have been my approach too! I just wanted to be sure to have the correct ground not to burn the fan motor! Overseas shipping by air freight was not cheap...:D:D

J B
06-26-2006, 09:23 AM
So far, I'm not seeing what the big deal is with the Taurus fan. I got mine up and running this weekend.

First off, it doesn't fit as well as everyone says. The width is dead on, but it's 3" shorter than the core on my radiator. So I have 3" worth of the top of the radiator that gets no airflow at all, and that's where the hottest fluid is.

I'm running it on low for now, and I know that won't be enough. My temp was running over 210* yesterday, and it was only 82* here. Granted, I had the A/C blasting trying to load the cooling system as much as possible, but I was also just driving around town too. It won't have a chance to keep this thing cool when it's 95* outside, or when doing any kind of wheeling.

I'm looking at using some sheetmetal to extend the shroud, sealing up all of the gaps between the shroud and the radiator, and probably running the thing on high speed instead of low.

OverkillZJ
06-26-2006, 10:12 AM
Of course the fan will not be enough to cool on low, that's about 1/8 throttle of the Taurus fan... The big deal is that it "almost" fits, is DIRT CHEAP, and moves more air than the overpriced aftermarket stuff. What's not to like?

You need to set it up right though, and that's not by wiring it on low :finga:

goodolboy71
06-26-2006, 10:55 AM
So far, I'm not seeing what the big deal is with the Taurus fan. I got mine up and running this weekend.

First off, it doesn't fit as well as everyone says. The width is dead on, but it's 3" shorter than the core on my radiator. So I have 3" worth of the top of the radiator that gets no airflow at all, and that's where the hottest fluid is.

I'm running it on low for now, and I know that won't be enough. My temp was running over 210* yesterday, and it was only 82* here. Granted, I had the A/C blasting trying to load the cooling system as much as possible, but I was also just driving around town too. It won't have a chance to keep this thing cool when it's 95* outside, or when doing any kind of wheeling.

I'm looking at using some sheetmetal to extend the shroud, sealing up all of the gaps between the shroud and the radiator, and probably running the thing on high speed instead of low.

i ran around with mine on low all last wk in 90+ w/ac with no issues:tease:

J B
06-26-2006, 11:38 AM
Of course the fan will not be enough to cool on low, that's about 1/8 throttle of the Taurus fan... The big deal is that it "almost" fits, is DIRT CHEAP, and moves more air than the overpriced aftermarket stuff. What's not to like?

You need to set it up right though, and that's not by wiring it on low :finga:

Well, lots of people on here were talking about running it on low and having no issues. The only reason I replaced my clutch fan was because I issues keeping the thing cool on the trail. Otherwise, everything else was fine. And my issue was probably mostly due to a hosed fan shroud.

J B
06-26-2006, 11:39 AM
i ran around with mine on low all last wk in 90+ w/ac with no issues:tease:

4.0L or 5.2?

cwm
06-26-2006, 11:46 AM

I ran all over Moab at GSW with the fan on low mostly in 4 low or 2 low with the air on with no probs never got over 200*
hear in Vegas in 110* in stop and go trafic with the air blowing and have never got over 210* with it on high.

Cue-Ball
06-26-2006, 11:55 AM
I have a fan in the shed now and will be running it with the Delta Controls control unit.

violatedppl
06-26-2006, 12:05 PM
I have a fan in the shed now and will be running it with the Delta Controls control unit.

what dont you have in your shed right now.

Cue-Ball
06-26-2006, 12:06 PM
what dont you have in your shed right now.

I have to admit that is a good one.

goodolboy71
06-26-2006, 01:21 PM
4.0L or 5.2?

J B
06-26-2006, 02:23 PM

Ok...I'm sure my 5.2 puts a little more stress on the cooling system than the 6 cylinder.

Swamp boy
06-26-2006, 04:54 PM
I have never had cooling issues with my 5.2 and this fan.. I do however have my fan pulled up to the top of the radiator.. Thats where you need it the most..

Make some small aluminum straps or something to hold it up to the top and it will work much better..

Cue-Ball
06-26-2006, 04:58 PM
So leave the open space at the bottom of the radiator correct? No need to make any custom shroud?

Swamp boy
06-26-2006, 08:24 PM
Thats it.. .I have an open space at the bottom .. No problem so far...

It has been at least 2 years since I did this to mine... Maybe longer.. I am getting old and I cant remember well..:D

J B
06-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Thats it.. .I have an open space at the bottom .. No problem so far...

It has been at least 2 years since I did this to mine... Maybe longer.. I am getting old and I cant remember well..:D

Well, it was easy to just drop it in place and secure it. I was just concerned about whatever I would use to hold it up. I'm certainly going to wire it for high speed, and what I would really like to do is extend the shroud with some sheetmetal to cover the entire radiator core.

goodolboy71
07-08-2006, 07:38 PM
Ok...I'm sure my 5.2 puts a little more stress on the cooling system than the 6 cylinder.
maybe, but low should be enough i am willing to bet with using hi speed with ac on for the extra load.....supposedly the motor used on the 5.9 electric fan is the same 2 speed seimens fan motor that is used for the 3.8 a fella found out a few yrs ago on another site...

maybe try to find a 5.9 fan shroud if you dont feel like hackin one out

Cue-Ball
07-12-2006, 12:13 PM
How did you guys attach the bottom of the fan? I see the metal straps on the top, just not sure what you did on the bottom or did you just let it hang there??

Ken L
07-12-2006, 03:59 PM
I just put my Taurus fan in last weekend. It fits in the tabs on the bottom (mine is mounted to the bottom because it won't clear the water pump pulley to mount farther up) and the sides snap into the lip on the radiator. Once you start positioning it in there you'll see right away how it's going to fit.

Cue-Ball
07-12-2006, 04:23 PM
Cool I am sure I will see as I have the radiator out and the fan, playing with it all.

ZJdrive
07-14-2006, 03:17 PM
(mine is mounted to the bottom because it won't clear the water pump pulley to mount farther up)
If you have a 4.0 sixshooter, you could use the XJ waterpump & pulley which gives additional 1.5" clearance to mount the taurus fan to the top of the radiator. I did so on mine and it worked fine...

Frank

Cue-Ball
07-14-2006, 03:41 PM
So the fan will not fit with the stock water pump??

goodolboy71
07-14-2006, 04:07 PM
So the fan will not fit with the stock water pump??
mine does...i just trimmed it down a little, and instead of trying to slid it in and get around the pulley, just lossened the top crossbar over the radiator and pulled it forward, then slid it in and checked it out to see if it fit.

Cue-Ball
07-14-2006, 04:18 PM
Well I am digging into it tomorrow will try to get some pix of it to add to this thread.

ZJdrive
07-15-2006, 05:14 AM
I won´t say it will not fit, but its for sure very close between pulley and fan shroud. On mine the waterpump was due to replacement anyhow so I decided for the XJ pump and pulley to gain those extra 1.5 inch space.

Regards Frank

cwm
07-15-2006, 11:16 AM
After all this talk I decided to move my fan from the bottom of the rad to the top of the rad.
After driveing for 3 days I noticed no difference in running temps.
Drove out to Lake mead yesterday towing a SeaDoo up hill in 110*Heat it ran about 210*, on the flats in dropped to 200*

nate
07-15-2006, 01:02 PM
Yeah I doubt it would make a difference, since the fan is pulling the same amount of air either way.

I just realized that it will run hot, and stopped worrying about it. I mean if it's hitting like 260* I'll let it cool, but the highest I've seen it hit was around 230* and I was beating the shit of it it (bouncing off rev limited) playing in the snow with it being 90* out.

With the heat that he have been having in Idaho (was 106* yesterday) my truck runs hot too. Without pulling a trailer, it will come close to 190*, with the trailer 200-220*... Now it normally runs about 150-160* to give you an idea.

Cue-Ball
07-16-2006, 12:06 AM
Well I attempted to install my fan today and it did not fit with it at the top of the radiator. I got frustrated at that point and pulled it off and stuck the stock one back in.

I need to dive into it again next weekend and may try to see if it will fit on the bottom of the radiator. It was hitting the water pump and pulley.

I will get some pix off the camera later and post them up.

Cue-Ball
07-16-2006, 04:32 PM
I won´t say it will not fit, but its for sure very close between pulley and fan shroud. On mine the waterpump was due to replacement anyhow so I decided for the XJ pump and pulley to gain those extra 1.5 inch space.

Regards Frank

Wow there is that much of a difference in space? Man should look into that myself I guess.

nate
07-16-2006, 04:54 PM
Just mount it on the bottom. It's a better fit that way. I'll take some pics later on for you.

Cue-Ball
07-16-2006, 06:10 PM
Will check it out next weekend also, on the bottom it is only missing about an inch or two of the top, really can't imagine that making a big difference in the performance.

Ken L
07-16-2006, 06:12 PM
Dirk, yeah, just mount it on the bottom. Mine worked fine there this weekend, well other than the starter relay that I used for high speed taking a shit. But it kept things cool, and it was like 100 out all weekend here. 'Wheeling was dusty, dirty, but fun, and the Jeep stayed cool, which was a great testament to the fan.

Cue-Ball
07-16-2006, 06:13 PM
Cool. I actually have one of the Delta Controls modules to run the fan with.

K2
07-20-2006, 11:43 PM
Cool. I actually have one of the Delta Controls modules to run the fan with.

Anyone know of a car you can pull something like this from? I know lots of cars have e-fans.

K2

O'Tool
07-21-2006, 09:13 AM
How about a Ford Taurus??:D

Cue-Ball
07-21-2006, 09:14 AM
Best to just order up one of DC controllers or build your own like some have done with HD relays and such.

Cue-Ball
07-21-2006, 09:16 AM
How about a Ford Taurus??:D

I think he is referring to the controller.

O'Tool
07-21-2006, 09:20 AM
I think he is referring to the controller.
Yeah, I know...
That was just my lame attempt at humor this morning!:smt069

nate
07-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Flexalite makes a controller as well. I think it's around $70. Basically the same things as the deltra controllers one.

CurtP
07-21-2006, 02:06 PM
Flexalite makes a controller as well. I think it's around $70. Basically the same things as the deltra controllers one.

If you're talking about their VSC, it's a piece 'o-shit. I have one sitting on my workbench at home, broken. I couldn't get those assholes to respond to my e-mail or voice mail pleas of getting it replaced while it was under warranty either. I suspect their other controllers aren't much better :mad:

There's no comparison of the build quality of the DCC -vs- the flimsy steaming shitpile of FAL.

nate
07-21-2006, 03:48 PM
What is broken? I have one, no problems... been on the Jeep for over a year.

CurtP
07-21-2006, 08:20 PM
I've been through three of them. Summit took care of the first two, they referred me to the manufacturer for the third. They all seem to suffer from similar symptoms and I've heard other people complain of similar problems.

My first one went up in smoke within a week of installing it. Figured it was just a fluke, so got a replacement. Second one had a huge temp swing and two contacts pulled out of it. Third one had a similar temp swing and one contact pulled out of it. All three of them had to have the low temp adjustment cranked all the way down to get it to engage the fan at a resonable temp and they never seemed to ramp up fan speed as the coolant got hotter.

I played around with probe placement too. I'll never buy a FAL product again, and I'll never use another temp probe that you have to push through the fins of the radiator either.

nate
07-21-2006, 09:08 PM
Sounds like you didn't buy the correct one. The one you need has 4 MOSFETs. The smaller one only has 2 and will melt down... I know.

CurtP
07-21-2006, 11:03 PM
Yes, because having 4 MOSFET's would have prevented the contacts from pulling out :D

I wasn't running the Taurus fan; I have the Perma-Cool p/n 19117 which pulls less than 11 amps. The FAL VSC p/n 31165 is rated to 30amp and is what was recommended. I only had a 15amp fuse on the switched side to protect the fan; I don't think I was stressing the VSC. A couple of quick Google searches show that I'm not the only one that's having issues.

I would have gone to the DCC if I had wanted to continue to fuck with the e-fan on the 4.0. Since I no longer drive the 4.0 much, I just put the mechanical fan back in it. It seemed to be more trouble than it was worth.

gunthagunth
07-22-2006, 11:57 AM
im currently installing it with relays but i found this on ebay. i got pumped up and was going to order it but now im second guessing it. this is the one that melts down right?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FLEXALITE-ELECTRIC-FAN-ADJUSTABLE-TEMP-SENSOR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33600QQihZ020QQi temZ300007942560QQtcZphoto

goodolboy71
07-22-2006, 09:20 PM
im currently installing it with relays but i found this on ebay. i got pumped up and was going to order it but now im second guessing it. this is the one that melts down right?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FLEXALITE-ELECTRIC-FAN-ADJUSTABLE-TEMP-SENSOR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33600QQihZ020QQi temZ300007942560QQtcZphoto
pick up the hayden version of that for 20.00 at the store and use it to activate some heavy duty relays....that is how mine has been running for a long time

J B
07-26-2006, 10:26 PM
Ok, just got mine 100% up and running on high speed, with decent shrouding. For the shroud, I cut up my factory clutch fan shroud and used the bottom portion. Then I fiberglassed it to the Taurus fan shroud. Now I have a shroud that covers the entire radiator, with the fan coming all the way to the top.

The first thing I noticed tonight is that the alternator is NOT up to task of running this thing on high. At idle, it drops the voltage to about 11-11.5, and the lights visibly dim. It even killed the damn engine when I was backing out of the driveway. I'm thinking of upgrading to the 136A 5.9L alternator, because there's just too much crap running, especially at night, for the alternator to keep up. It's not too bad if you're keeping decent RPMs going down the road, but at idle, it's bad news....

97trxuszj
07-28-2006, 04:32 PM
thats exactly wht happend to me I ordered my 136A 5.9 alt yesterday, and will install that and hopefully it'll help.

GeneHubert
07-29-2006, 11:38 AM
Ok,

The first thing I noticed tonight is that the alternator is NOT up to task of running this thing on high. At idle, it drops the voltage to about 11-11.5, and the lights visibly dim. ....

It isn't the alternator, you should check your wiring or your fan motor. We have 4 different installations using this fan in our family. Not one has this problem. The only high amp pull is on the start up for high. That is reduced just by staging from low to high on the fan.

BUT, guaranteed that there is a problem somewhere.

OH yeah.... How big is the alternator on a taurus? Think about it.

Good luck... Hope it all works out for you. This set up has really been great for me!

PS: For relays and switches, think about those used for extreme sound systems. I used 40 amp relays for the high/low and they have worked extremely well with no problem. Also the same for inline fuses. I keep plug in spares in my glovebox for all (each under $10). The spares have been the glovebox for two years now and no problems. The install is on a 97 5.2, and I pull a large camp trailer to events in the Sierras during the summer.

97trxuszj
07-29-2006, 03:13 PM
I have 80 amp 100% duty cycle solinoids, with 8 gauge wire ran to the fan when my jeep gets to about 200* I flip the fan on low the voltmeter drops like you said for a second then recovers, but on high the volt meter dropped drastically and never came up. how long does your fan normally run in the 90* weather driving around town? mine seems like it needs to stay on the whole time to keep the engine cool, but then my fan motor gets hot. WTF???

goodolboy71
07-29-2006, 03:48 PM
It isn't the alternator, you should check your wiring or your fan motor. We have 4 different installations using this fan in our family. Not one has this problem. The only high amp pull is on the start up for high. That is reduced just by staging from low to high on the fan.

BUT, guaranteed that there is a problem somewhere.

OH yeah.... How big is the alternator on a taurus? Think about it.

Good luck... Hope it all works out for you. This set up has really been great for me!

if he has the 90 amp alt then its too weak...mine did the same till i got a 136 amp one....Taurus have a 140 amp i believe...but i only Low...occassionally i use Hi when its 98+ in traffic with AC on..all this with 4 guage wire as well

zj-monster
07-29-2006, 05:10 PM
Taurus have a 140 amp i believe
Yes they do.

:best:

GeneHubert
07-29-2006, 08:02 PM
Yes they do.

:best:

110 and 130 depending on model.. :smt031

J B
07-31-2006, 10:16 AM
if he has the 90 amp alt then its too weak...mine did the same till i got a 136 amp one....Taurus have a 140 amp i believe...but i only Low...occassionally i use Hi when its 98+ in traffic with AC on..all this with 4 guage wire as well

Exactly. We all got 90A alternators, unless you got the 5.9L engine, and it got the 136A alternator...why? Electric fan, of course.

Makes perfect sense too.....What's the taurus fan draw on high? 40A? Maybe a little less? The 90A alternator won't generate 90A at idle or just off idle, it has to have a little rpm. Once you factor in 40A for the fan, you've probably got 20A worth of lights running, plus all sorts of other goodies....fuel pump, A/C clutch, etc.

It's easy to see how you could max out an alternator that's making maybe 60A at idle.

Besides, I don't know what other problems there could be. If the fan motor was dragging (and thereby sucking more current, I could see it. But, the fan blade spins easily by hand, and it's not blowing the 50A fuse I have.

97trxuszj
07-31-2006, 02:28 PM
whats the longest any of you have left your fans running on the low side? after about 45min of contious running my fan motor starts to get hoty and smells alittle, does any of yours do this?

CurtP
07-31-2006, 05:24 PM
The stock alternator in my '96 was 136A. I thought the '93-'95 got the 90A, 96+ got the 136A and the 5.9 got a 150A :confused:

GeneHubert
07-31-2006, 05:39 PM
whats the longest any of you have left your fans running on the low side? after about 45min of contious running my fan motor starts to get hoty and smells alittle, does any of yours do this?

All the time.. continuously on while driving and the temperature is over 180 degrees. My normal running temp is always under 210 unless stressed. On high during uphill pulls towing a trailer in hot weather or on the trail for extended periods when climbing long ridges in hot weather. Highest temps I have seen is 220 during 104 degree weather.

Never a problem over the last two years. But as an added note, I do use a Yellow Optima battery.

PS: I have a stock alternator with a 1997 5.2 with 40 amp fuses and 40 amp relays (normally used for stero systems) on low and the same on the high side. The low side runs off of a Hayden themostat through the radiator core and the high is a manual kick in when I select it from inboard. I can also run without a fan in case of high water crossings. Have kept spare fuses and relays in the glove box, but never needed to date..... knock on wood..... and I did vent the hood too.

goodolboy71
07-31-2006, 10:17 PM
all day long while its over 195....most time for about 2-3 hrs and it doesnt smell:confused:

goodolboy71
07-31-2006, 10:18 PM
The stock alternator in my '96 was 136A. I thought the '93-'95 got the 90A, 96+ got the 136A and the 5.9 got a 150A :confused:
i thought the bigger ones were 117amps and then the 5.9 got the 136 amp ones

Swamp boy
07-31-2006, 10:53 PM
I have the 136 amp alt.. I can run my fan on high all my lights and the radio all without a battery.. I have had to do it before to get out of the woods when another guy burnt up his alternator .. I was useing my roof lights to light his way and he had my battery to keep his truck running..

I think it probobly does draw about 40 amps when its running on high but its never been a drain on my system..

GeneHubert
07-31-2006, 11:30 PM
Those that are having problems......

You aren't trying to wire the low and hi to run at the same time by any chance? :doh:

97trxuszj
08-01-2006, 03:19 AM
no I have a low and high 3 way toggle switch and 2 80 amp 100% duty cycle solinoids and all 8g wire. I think i got a bad fan because my wire melted again after running for only 30min. my buddy was selling his black magic #180 puller flex-lite fan that pulls 3300 cfm and only 18amps max for $100 so I am buying that. if anyone needs some 80 amp contious duty cycle solinoids and 60 and 80 amp, auto reset circut breakers let me know, I'll do $85 obo shipped with all wires

ogdak
08-01-2006, 03:31 AM

You are right about that, have read it somewhere.
Don't know where though.

J B
08-01-2006, 12:42 PM

Never heard that. :confused: Just looking up on AutoZone's website shows two choices: a 90A, and a 136A. Oreilley's website shows something similar. I'm sure that the way the catalogs read, it doesn't specify that the 5.9s were the only ones to get the higher output alternator.

J B
08-01-2006, 12:43 PM
Those that are having problems......

You aren't trying to wire the low and hi to run at the same time by any chance? :doh:

Nope, the wire for low is clipped and taped...not hooked to anything.

GeneHubert
08-01-2006, 06:11 PM
Nope, the wire for low is clipped and taped...not hooked to anything.

Low fan works for the majority of what you will be doing. The High is really only needed for more adverse ondititons. If you make use of the low as the primary use you will have less stress on your electrical system.

Just a suggestion.

Ken L
08-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Agreed. Low speed works fine for cooling mine, even in around 100 degree temps on the trail.

J B
08-02-2006, 12:32 PM
Low fan works for the majority of what you will be doing. The High is really only needed for more adverse ondititons. If you make use of the low as the primary use you will have less stress on your electrical system.

Just a suggestion.

That's documented earlier in this thread. The low speed for my application is a waste of time. It tends to run hot, even on the street, on low speed.

I have also pulled the radiator and cleaned the shit out of the fins (TONS of bugs and dirt in there), and the system has been flushed numerous times in the last year. Although I will admit that I'm still finding nasty dirty looking shit in the overflow bottle.

The reason I went electric in the first place was simply because I can't keep this thing cool on the trail. Everywhere else, the stock mechanical fan did fine.

GeneHubert
08-02-2006, 12:46 PM
That's documented earlier in this thread. The low speed for my application is a waste of time. It tends to run hot, even on the street, on low speed.

I have also pulled the radiator and cleaned the shit out of the fins (TONS of bugs and dirt in there), and the system has been flushed numerous times in the last year. Although I will admit that I'm still finding nasty dirty looking shit in the overflow bottle.

The reason I went electric in the first place was simply because I can't keep this thing cool on the trail. Everywhere else, the stock mechanical fan did fine.

The best advice anyone can give you is fix the cause of the overheat. The fan is only a bandaid even if it does cool it down temporarily. It is only a matter of time your cooling system will have a complete failure and that wouldn't be nice in the middle of the Rubicon or any remote area.

At this point, I would be spending the money to go to a radiator shop to have the system professionally cleaned which may include recoring the radiator (or replacement). But when it is all said and done, you should obtain a reliable results without a fan running on HI unless in adverse conditions.

Also your system needs to be evaluated for other issues, such as a head gasket leak. Could the engine be running lean (check plugs). Is there a compression problem?

There are many variables that produce heat in a motor. The key is always to fix the problem and don't cover it up with a bandaid. In this case, I believe it will only continue to get worse until failure.

J B
08-02-2006, 03:12 PM
The best advice anyone can give you is fix the cause of the overheat. The fan is only a bandaid even if it does cool it down temporarily. It is only a matter of time your cooling system will have a complete failure and that wouldn't be nice in the middle of the Rubicon or any remote area.

At this point, I would be spending the money to go to a radiator shop to have the system professionally cleaned which may include recoring the radiator (or replacement). But when it is all said and done, you should obtain a reliable results without a fan running on HI unless in adverse conditions.

Also your system needs to be evaluated for other issues, such as a head gasket leak. Could the engine be running lean (check plugs). Is there a compression problem?

There are many variables that produce heat in a motor. The key is always to fix the problem and don't cover it up with a bandaid. In this case, I believe it will only continue to get worse until failure.

Well, I don't think there are any severe problems like a blown head gasket. And while it's certainly possible that the system could stand a professional flush.

As I mentioned, the only time I was having problems with the stock fan was when I was wheeling in the summer, which I honestly try to avoid. It's just too hot down here. A considerable portion of our summers have highs in the 95*-100* range with high humidity. And when you're wheeling in that kind of weather in a full bodied jeep that's black with a black leather interior, you run the A/C or you die from heat exhaustion.

So you have hot, humid weather, the A/C blasting, and the engine under heavy load, but running at a relatively low rpm. Those circumstances are perfect for overheating.

GeneHubert
08-02-2006, 03:18 PM
Well, I don't think there are any severe problems like a blown head gasket. And while it's certainly possible that the system could stand a professional flush.

As I mentioned, the only time I was having problems with the stock fan was when I was wheeling in the summer, which I honestly try to avoid. It's just too hot down here. A considerable portion of our summers have highs in the 95*-100* range with high humidity. And when you're wheeling in that kind of weather in a full bodied jeep that's black with a black leather interior, you run the A/C or you die from heat exhaustion.

So you have hot, humid weather, the A/C blasting, and the engine under heavy load, but running at a relatively low rpm. Those circumstances are perfect for overheating.

Ok.... I hear you...

But.... We wheeled here at low speeds in 102 to 104 heat at 5 to 8,000 feet.... Oh well... You just don't know unless you walk a mile in another person's shoes.... I haven't done that, so all I can say is I was just trying to help....

Enjoy the weekend and good luck... STAY COOL

Ken L
08-02-2006, 05:10 PM
JB, have you tried taking the weatherstripping off at the back of the hood to allow more air to flow out? Might aid in dropping the underhood temps some.

J B
08-04-2006, 05:09 PM
JB, have you tried taking the weatherstripping off at the back of the hood to allow more air to flow out? Might aid in dropping the underhood temps some.

I haven't, but doing so will be a double edged sword. It will help cooling performance at very low speeds, but at almost any time on the street, it's actually going to add stress to the cooling system. The cowl area is a high pressure area, and removing that weatherstripping will allow air to be foreced underhood, which has to get out from somewhere. It'll have to compete with the rest of the air coming through the radiator for an exit.

But, on the trail, it might be worth removing.

I used to run on the trail with my hood popped open (just the safety latch keeping it down), and that semmed to help a little, but not much.

nate
08-04-2006, 07:48 PM
I pulled mine out.

Dunno about the high speed thing. I have a trailer for that.

J B
08-05-2006, 09:08 AM
Well then yeah, you have no reason not to remove yours.

GeneHubert
08-05-2006, 09:37 AM
Removing it to see differences isn't a big project.

Reinstalling it if there is no difference or is a detriment is not a big project either.

Just don't rip and throw it away!

My only question which still remains is does it have an impact on fresh air intake to the interior?

J B
08-05-2006, 11:07 AM
My only question which still remains is does it have an impact on fresh air intake to the interior?

It would at low speeds, because the HVAC system would be sucking in all that air from under the hood. On the street it wouldn't matter.

GeneHubert
08-05-2006, 11:10 AM
It would at low speeds, because the HVAC system would be sucking in all that air from under the hood. On the street it wouldn't matter.

Just as I thought.... And of course, that effects the inside temperature on the trail, doesn't it.... :D

PatM
08-05-2006, 07:11 PM
I used to run on the trail with my hood popped open (just the safety latch keeping it down), and that semmed to help a little, but not much.

I have done the same on previous occasions, helps on on the beach when working hard to get through the soft sand. was a little nervous that it was going to pop all the way open at anything over 15mph.

J B
08-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Just as I thought.... And of course, that effects the inside temperature on the trail, doesn't it.... :D

Yep, unless it's cold out and you need the heat, then it works in your favor.

:D

Varkyl
08-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Unless you have the a/c set to MAX/recirc. Then your not pulling any outside air.

J B
08-06-2006, 02:39 PM
True....

nate
08-06-2006, 10:44 PM
Or just crank down the window and enjoy the outdoors!

J B
08-07-2006, 08:57 AM
When it's 100* outside and the humidity is 70%, there's no enjoying that.

nate
08-07-2006, 09:39 AM
Pussy.

I usually just run the A/C on high with the window open. I do the same in the winter, only with the heat on.

J B
08-07-2006, 10:56 AM
Shit, weather like that will give you a heat stroke. Wheeling in hot humid weather in a black leather interior is no fun. The last time I wheeled in weather that was really hot, I drank water and gatorade non-stop for 4 hours, and I never once had to pee.

I also think it's interesting that some guy from Idaho is calling me a pussy for the weather that we have here in the summer.

:flipoff2:

zj95
10-16-2006, 01:15 AM
do u guys think it would be ok to run the hayden control but put a 3 way switch on the fan lead... then hook up the low side directly to one side and on the high side use a 40-60 amp relay and conect it to the other side of the switch?

that way both sides will be temp controlled.
:confused: :confused:

im diggin in to this on tuesday so i need to figure it out asap.

thx in advance!

GeneHubert
10-16-2006, 07:32 AM
do u guys think it would be ok to run the hayden control but put a 3 way switch on the fan lead... then hook up the low side directly to one side and on the high side use a 40-60 amp relay and conect it to the other side of the switch?

that way both sides will be temp controlled.
:confused: :confused:

im diggin in to this on tuesday so i need to figure it out asap.

thx in advance!

I have been using a Hayden control for 2 years with the Hayden controling the low fan going through a three way switch with two relys (one for the low (Hayden) and one for high). Three way is set up for Low (Hayden), OFF and High.

I guess you could eliminate the relays if you wanted to run big wire and use a big switch.

My works fine and relays are not that expensive, just go for 40 to 50 amp and cycle the fan to run low and then switch to high to prevent major current pull at start up.

Good luck

zj95
10-16-2006, 12:23 PM
i was thinking something like this.. the low side would use the hayden 30amp relay.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/zj95/fanwireing.jpg

what u think?:confused:

canadian_driver
10-16-2006, 05:07 PM
what about using the heated seat contols to operate the fan? i imagine id have to play with the switch a bit, but would it be able to handle it?

JohnNC4
11-23-2006, 01:55 AM
easiest way to remove the clutch fan is to place a lady finger on the edge of the nut angled in the direction to remove it and give it a whack with a ball peen hammer you may not feel it move at first but when i is knocked loose you can just spin it off no need to hold the pullys in place

AQHACowboy
11-23-2006, 08:06 PM
I was wondering if anyone has done this swap on a WJ. I have searched and have not found anything about a WJ.

GeneHubert
11-24-2006, 10:38 AM
I was wondering if anyone has done this swap on a WJ. I have searched and have not found anything about a WJ.

A fan is a fan. I obtained the majority of my information for the swap from a Mustang conversion. Then found that is popular for Drag Racers that want to control the cool downs between heats.

I do know that for my 5.2, low fan works the best on the thermostat and doesn't need high fan until in extreme heat and long pulls on the trail. So I set up the low on a Hayden thermostat to a relay, then put the high to another relay, then put the set up through a three way so I can run on the 'automatic' mode using the thermostat, completely off (water crossings) and manual high.

I did not run the power through the ignition, which wouldn't be hard, but let it cool the system down after I stop. Hasn't been an issue except for the fan going on and off after shutting down.

Hope that helps. It has been up and running over 2 years without a hitch!

TheCompound
04-05-2007, 01:38 AM
I have been seriously looking in this as one of my mods to the ZJ. The only thing that I am unsure about is, What is holding the Efan shroud on the bottom?? And if anyone has pics that would be great!
-TheCompound

zj95
04-05-2007, 02:11 AM
depends if u mount it at the top or not...

on mine it slips into the track at the bottom because mines at the bottom.. u will see it right away when u start

but if u mount it at the top u have the top supports u have to make and then u can buy these zip tie thingys to hold the bottom from floppin around. the top mounts hold the wieght

TheCompound
04-05-2007, 02:40 AM
depends if u mount it at the top or not...

on mine it slips into the track at the bottom because mines at the bottom.. u will see it right away when u start

but if u mount it at the top u have the top supports u have to make and then u can buy these zip tie thingys to hold the bottom from floppin around. the top mounts hold the wieght

You mean like the through the radiator ties??
-TheCompound

zj95
04-05-2007, 02:53 AM
yeah..

right now mine is sliped in the track at the bottom and i just have zip ties holding the top... not the best and need to change it but it has worked for like 6 months now...

TheCompound
04-05-2007, 02:56 AM
yeah..

right now mine is sliped in the track at the bottom and i just have zip ties holding the top... not the best and need to change it but it has worked for like 6 months now...

Hey thanks, my little bro lives done in Tuscon. If I get the ZJ even done we will all have to get together and have a :coffee:
-TheCompound

zj95
04-05-2007, 02:59 AM
np..

haha ... to bad im not of age... :(

but we can go wheelin or whateva... :D

DCHZJ
04-05-2007, 03:13 PM
I have been seriously looking in this as one of my mods to the ZJ. The only thing that I am unsure about is, What is holding the Efan shroud on the bottom?? And if anyone has pics that would be great!
-TheCompound

I used the push through connectors. The type you get with a transmission cooler. These worked fine for a year and a half before i sold it (i am sure it is still working). On top i did exactly what Swamp Boy did. Again worked fine, no rubbing and everything was solid.

J B
04-07-2007, 02:08 AM
Or do what I did....I used the bottom portion of my factory ZJ shroud...trimmed everything to kinda half-ass match up....then I used some fiberglass to mate the factory shroud (what was left of it anyway) with the taurus shroud. I filled in the HUGE gaps with triple expanding foam and trimmed the foam, in an effort to "create" a surface for the fiberglass to lay on, since the gaps are huge.

In the end, I left the foam in place, trimming it out of the way for airflow on the radiator side. It sticks really well and adds to the structural integrity of putting the to shrouds together.

Using this method, the fan "drops in" since the bottom of the assembly is the factory shroud. Then you just rig up a way to hold it in from the top and wire it up.

Also, I only run mine on high speed, since that's where I need it most of the time. I'm also piggybacking a big relay from a Hayden electric fan controller, as other have mentioned.

zj95
04-07-2007, 02:25 AM
guess i shouldnt have opened my mouth....

the zip ties on my fan just broke and my fan fell on to the motor pulleys....

didnt mess it up tho... caught it in time... got the stuff to do it the right way so i can do it tomarrow...

jsteves
04-07-2007, 12:09 PM
or use a 5.9 fan...bolts right in. mine too is wired with a 3 way switch. i used a relay and temp sensor to automatically run the low side. and a ford starter solenoid to run the high side via the switch which includes an off position of course.

J B
04-07-2007, 01:14 PM
or use a 5.9 fan...bolts right in. mine too is wired with a 3 way switch. i used a relay and temp sensor to automatically run the low side. and a ford starter solenoid to run the high side via the switch which includes an off position of course.

Yeah, but the 5.9 fan is $$$, and Taurus fans are a dime a dozen.

And beware - the Ford starter solenoid isn't meant for continuous duty and it WILL fail. I have tried using them in applications like this before, and I always had to keep a spare, because they didn't ever last very long.

The $35 or so for the Bosch relay is worth it.

canadian_driver
05-01-2007, 02:17 PM
question: a friend of mine had a taurus fan in his TJ and when he would turn it on high it would suck itself into his radiator and chew it up, has anyone even herd of this b4?

J B
05-01-2007, 02:55 PM
question: a friend of mine had a taurus fan in his TJ and when he would turn it on high it would suck itself into his radiator and chew it up, has anyone even herd of this b4?

never heard of it, but it sounds like the bushings in the fan motor were toast, or that the fan blade itself had some play on the motor shaft and could move around a bit.

faststang1
10-10-2007, 09:54 PM
Can somebody tell me what exactly I need to get so I can put this fan on my jeep!!!!
I know I need the fan wires,relays ect...but what sizes wires,relays ect....
How do you make it run so it takes care of its self with teromsat
I hate cluch fans they suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ILikeMud
10-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Can somebody tell me what exactly I need to get so I can put this fan on my jeep!!!!
I know I need the fan wires,relays ect...but what sizes wires,relays ect....
How do you make it run so it takes care of its self with teromsat
I hate cluch fans they suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you even bother to read through this thread?
All the information is there, don't expect to be spoon fed.

DJJordache
10-10-2007, 11:17 PM
All the information is here, don't expect to be spoon fed.
slight fix and that quote is sig worthy!:supz:

5.2 zj kid
07-28-2008, 09:10 PM
i must have f d somthing up when i did mine the fan was drawing way way to many amps i belive . ( never checked how many amps fan was drawing, couldnt find my amp clamp ) it was a pita was drawing hard on my stock alternator . and left me with a dead altnator the other day .. i want an efan but just couldnt wokr out why it drew so much power . do i need to replace the altnator.

fpkites
07-28-2008, 09:51 PM
Here's a thinker for everybody - running a Taurus fan with a 35 amp DC Control box. In-town with the AC, shitty dash gauge reads 210, nothing more. In my setup, when the AC is on, the fan is getting the full 35A from the box.

On the highway though, temps hold 1 tick above 210 (AC on). Is the Taurus fan running at 35A (full bore that I can hit it with) being counter-productive? AFAIK, there's no clutch to the Ford fan that cuts it out when more air is being pushed at it than it can pull.

Bottom line: Should I wire a cutoff switch into the cab so I can kill the fan when on the freeway (65+ mph)?

I'm thinking one of these buggers:
http://www.climaxproducts.com/store/images/T/act%20001.jpg

TrojanMan
07-28-2008, 10:11 PM
I have a switch on mine but never turn it off.

fpkites
07-28-2008, 10:22 PM
So maybe my issue is a dirty condenser/rad then - I'll hit it with the shop air and water hose this weekend and see what happens.

nate
07-29-2008, 02:04 AM
MY Jeep has always run hot on the highway after I lifted it and added a front bumper, big tires, etc. Unless it starts getting close to 260* I don't worry about it.

This was with the stock fan, a 99 WJ fan and the Taurus fan, so it's not a fan issue for sure.

cooperzj
09-04-2008, 11:16 PM
What continuous duty 40-50amp relay can I grab from the junk yard?

Does anyone know if I could grab said relay from a fuel pump or maybe AC? All the relays I've seen are the plug-kind that wouldn't mount easily.

I can get relays for dirt cheap at the yard- I'm trying to avoid the $30 Bosch new. I grabbed a Ford starter relay today- but after reading this thread, I think I'll forgo the starter variety relays and look for a 100% duty one.

Any thoughts?

For wire size check out this chart: Looks like 5-6 gauge would be ideal for MAX power transmission. On the other hand, you could get away with 12 gauge wiring and probably not melt it.

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

nate
09-05-2008, 04:13 PM
10 gauge is fine. That is what is stock on the Taurus.

Naturalhoosier
09-27-2008, 10:59 PM
fpkites helped me install my taurus fan a few weeks back w/the DCControl modulator box. Does anyone know which wire going into the A/C Compressor I need to connect my blue wire to? Apparently my wires have a different color scheme then his did...thanks!

PatM
09-29-2008, 11:15 AM
fpkites helped me install my taurus fan a few weeks back w/the DCControl modulator box. Does anyone know which wire going into the A/C Compressor I need to connect my blue wire to? Apparently my wires have a different color scheme then his did...thanks!
What year and motor?

fpkites
09-29-2008, 11:57 AM
His is a 98 with the 5.2. Wire colors at the compressor were not colored as obvious as mine.

Naturalhoosier
09-30-2008, 09:31 PM
His is a 98 with the 5.2. Wire colors at the compressor were not colored as obvious as mine.

Thanks! I guess that is good info to know! :D

Naturalhoosier
10-05-2008, 07:33 PM
It's the dark blue/yellow wire in case anyone encounters the same issue. ;) I got the rest of it wired up today! ;-)>

cLAYH
01-24-2009, 03:42 PM
vv ccfcfvvxI actually installed the fan last spring but didn't take any pics at the time. I originally had it setup to manually but recently bought a Hayden controller setup and wired it in. Since it was apart at the time I took some pics.

For the physical install I actually bolted the Taurus into the stock V8 shroud using self tapping screws. The bottom of the shroud opening needed to be opened up a bit but not much. Doing it this way allows me to simply drop the fan assembly back into the stock mounting points, no custom fabbing needed. Also its super fast to pull the fan for repairs(belt replacement, etc) or to hose out the rad at the car wash, just pull the two 10mm nuts holding the shroud on.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u92/clayhardock/Project%20Phoenix%20ZJ/Tuarus%20Fan/DSC_2155_1.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u92/clayhardock/Project%20Phoenix%20ZJ/Tuarus%20Fan/DSC_2156_1.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u92/clayhardock/Project%20Phoenix%20ZJ/Tuarus%20Fan/DSC_2157_1.jpg

The hole was drilled with a hole saw to allow the stock plug to pass thru. I kept as much of the original wiring as possible.

Including the fuse and holder. I'm running a 40amp fuse. You can see it in the pic bolted to the battery hold down bolt.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u92/clayhardock/Project%20Phoenix%20ZJ/Tuarus%20Fan/DSC_2158_1.jpg

Sorry thats it for pics. I'll do a quick writeup of the wiring.

Getting a relay that can handle that much power is essential. I've seen lots of people have trouble on the trail because they used a 30amp Bosch relay like for offroad lights. Its no big enough for the Taurus fan. The easiest to find is a selonoid like for a starter, but it must but rated for continous duty, similar to the ones used for winches or dual battery setups. They are easiest to find in the RV section of most autopart stores.

The setup is controlled by a 3 way switch on the center console next to the shifter. Off is center, up is on(override), and down is automatic.

The Hayden controller is powered by the 3 way switch when in automatic. It has of the type that has a probe in the fins on the rad. When the preset temp is reached it triggers the solenoid for the fan. It also has an auxiliary wire tied into the AC clutch wire to activate it when the AC pump is engaged.

The other wire from the 3way switch goes directly to the selonoid and activates it regardless of waht the Hayden controller is doing, no power actually goes to the conroller in this position.

When the 3 way switch is in the off position no power goes to the Hayden controller and the unit will not activate.

I'm actually only using the "high" function of the Taurus fan, wiring in the low side was too complicated as you need a lockout to prevent the low and high from coming on at the same time. Also when I had it wired up manually low didn't seem to do much.

So far its been a good mod, only draw back is that it does suck back the power. I worry about draining the battery at idle and I will mostly likely upgrade the alt very soon. Warm up at cold temps ar super fast, 5 min to operating temp at -25C. I still had some overheating issues with it last summer but I think my rad maybe plugged with mud and I usually forgot to engage the fan till it was getting hot(3/4 mark+). However simply stopping and idling for a few minutes brings the temps back down super quick.

A good upgrade though and I like how easy it is to work on the engine. I've had to do an alt and PS pump since it went on and not having the mechanical fan in the way makes it easy to work on.

I've been carrying the mechanical fan for a a few months now as a back up, since the shroud is still there it would be easy to put back on, but its been working pretty good since the Hayden controller went in so I think I can leave it a home now.

I do think I'll need a bigger alt though. I fried my first one not too long after installing it but I didn't have the Hayden controller on yet so I often just turned it on and left it on. My second alt with the controller seems to be doing fine but I haven't had it in really hot temps yet.

rtingdds
03-02-2009, 01:06 AM
I got a question about my Taurus fan. It's making noise, can I spray lubricant directly into the motor or not?

ZJ TINS
03-11-2009, 10:23 PM
Big assed relays cheap (http://www.wiringproducts.com/index1.html)

rtingdds
03-21-2009, 03:11 AM
For people who have Taurus fan, what alternator you use? or you still use the same factory alternator without problem.

fpkites
03-22-2009, 12:01 AM
Factory (tow package one) alternator here - I don't see a huge voltage dip when it's running, but I do see a bit of a drop.

Bear in mind, mine only runs at 100% when the AC or defrost is on (DC Controls box is running it)

cLAYH
04-14-2009, 08:18 PM
My first alt crapped out me shortly after installing the fan. BUT I didn't have the controller in yet and was prone to leaving it on high for long periods of time. Since the controler went on it seems to be fine.

zj95maxx
05-03-2009, 01:41 PM
my shitty amp from napa keeps blowing. any ideas for an upgrade?

CrawlerReady
05-03-2009, 02:32 PM
my shitty amp from napa keeps blowing. any ideas for an upgrade?

Your fuse? What size are you running?

ZJ TINS
05-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Just get the 120 amp for the V8. Search for the swap article, it's simple. The V8 has a 7 rib belt the I6 a 6 rib. So swap the pulleys, change out the plastic ear for the cable (it is 180 degree out) and push the ferule out/in till they match. The frame is the same size just a little more filling with copper for the higher current output. I tried the local junkyard but every one they showed me was a 90 amp and mismarked. Guess I will buy new when I have the time for the rest of the install time.

Ebay has some rebuilt units that are stock frames but rewound for higher current. Not sure if I trust them though.

CrawlerReady
05-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Just get the 120 amp for the V8. Search for the swap article, it's simple. The V8 has a 7 rib belt the I6 a 6 rib. So swap the pulleys, change out the plastic ear for the cable (it is 180 degree out) and push the ferule out/in till they match. The frame is the same size just a little more filling with copper for the higher current output. I tried the local junkyard but every one they showed me was a 90 amp and mismarked. Guess I will buy new when I have the time for the rest of the install time.

Ebay has some rebuilt units that are stock frames but rewound for higher current. Not sure if I trust them though.

Found out he isn't talking about his amp. He's talking about his 30 amp RELAY that he uses to run his fan.

zj95maxx
05-03-2009, 09:19 PM
ayyyyyyyyyyy:flipoff2:

ZJ TINS
05-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Hmm that was unforseen.

I noticed the stock fuse on the Taurus is not small but is 30 amp. Wander if it is slow blow of something. I plan on use it on my install, just gonna bypass the low speed and let the PCM control it.

SaturnICL
05-04-2009, 05:43 PM
I instaled a Taurus fan on my 99 wj. I wired the high speed right into the factory plug for the stock e-fan and it has been working for 3 months now!:D

cLAYH
05-23-2009, 01:33 AM
Well I blew my 2nd alternator! Forgot to turn my headlights off when I hit the trail and that with low engine speeds, frequent stops and idling, some high rpm attacks on snow drifts must have been more than the 90amp stocker could handle.

I picked up a new one for a '98 ZJ with the 5.9HO. Its listed as 136amp alt but the sticker on it says 90amp at 2000RPM and 150amps at 6000rpm. I'm assuming that is alt rpms and not engine rpms.

I noticed the pulley is a fair bit smaller, should help keep the amps up at low idle speed.

I also installed a second battery. I'm hoping between those two upgrades I won't have anymore dead alts. However when I did test it at idle with the fan on high it would quickly drop from 13.7 volts to 12.5 and then slowly over time drop to 12v.

Anyone else have alt troubles? This is a stock alt for a Ford Taurus, I'm having trouble believing Ford put a 150amp alt in a Taurus just to run a fan. I wonder if something is wrong with mine and pulling too many amps....

fpkites
05-25-2009, 11:20 PM
Mine drops to very near 12v by the dash gauge when the fan is in warp speed. Seems to happen more when the stereo (small amp) and/or headlights are on, worse when the rear defroster is on. I haven't blown any alternators though.

I don't think my controller runs full amperage to the fan either - I think it's peaked at 35. I can get up to a 50 from DC Control.

EL_zj_4x4
06-03-2009, 12:35 PM
I also just did this swap on my 97 zj along with a new radiator. one month old and always sitting right under the halfway mark. when i kick it to high i dont see it drop any low it stays the same. I hope to use high when i am crawling slow

rtingdds
06-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Can someone tell me which wire to hook to positive, orange or yellow (which one is high fan speed?), I can't tell the difference.

fpkites
06-15-2009, 11:20 PM
I've always seen different colors when I was pulling them from the yard - might be aftermarket, or Ford was just keeping people on their toes.

Jump the wires straight to the battery, one at a time - you'll know which one is high...the assembly will try to jump out and bite you....trust me :D

cLAYH
06-16-2009, 12:56 AM
Well I'm beginning to think I had a bad fan right from the start. I installed a brand 136amp alt for a 5.9l, and wired in a dual battery setup and was still seeing quite a drop on the voltage gauge when I kicked in. Then on a run yesterday it started to burn up. You know that nice electrical/plastic burning smell. The that lets you know that the magic smoke that makes all electrical stuff work is escaping.

Anyway its defiantly toast. Fortunately I still carried my old mechanical clutch fan with me so I swapped it back in and finished the run with no problems. This weekend I'm going to try and go find another.

cowboy63b
10-21-2009, 11:24 PM
ok i did the fan swap everything is nice and hooked up but the fan wasnt kicking on, and im usin that damn dcc box, anyone else have the same problem?

grandf4
10-22-2009, 10:46 PM
I just installed a taurus fan and a DCC box. It is working just as it should. DCC shorted me on the jumpers but other than that I am having no problems.

I would jump the fan straight to power and make sure it is working and double check the wiring to box

cowboy63b
10-23-2009, 02:07 AM
i rewired everything today and i got plenty of power goin in but no power comin out.

grandf4
10-23-2009, 11:56 AM
maybe the rad temp sensor is no good, try putting power to the a/c signal wire(blue wire), that should send power out to the fan regardless of the rad temp

cowboy63b
10-26-2009, 11:09 AM
i tried that trick to and still nothin, the guy told me everything is tested when they ship out but its still not working, wtf this is a PITA big time!!!!

AgitatedPancake
10-26-2009, 01:59 PM
you have a multimiter? Make sure your getting power to the fan motor, check the voltage right at the fan to see.

zj95
10-26-2009, 09:29 PM
reground the box

wheelinzj93
11-05-2009, 01:49 AM
i wired my fan up with a relay/solenoid for 200amps. i got it for like 50 bucks from a car parts place. just check all of the wires for power and make sure all of your connections are good. also straight wire the fan to make sure your fan works.

cLAYH
01-03-2010, 04:05 AM
Just an update, I must have got a bad fan from the wrecker right from the start. Got another one after the first burned up and its been good for almost a year now.

If you do upgrade to 5.9L alt get the matching belt. The 5.9L(136amp) alt has a smaller pulley and my stock 5.2L belt was just a bit too long and squealed when under load. Picked up a belt from a 5.9L and its been all good.

cLAYH
01-15-2010, 01:30 AM
Haha, must have spoke too soon. Not really a fan issue but an Alt issue. The new 136 amp alt was too much for the stock wiring. Blew the alt fuses, took me awhile to figure out there are two of them running in parallel. :withstup: Replacing just one cause it to blow right away when a load was on. DUH!!

I ended up adding an extra 4ga cable directly from the alt to the battery. This was an addition to the stock one that runs all over to the place, then splits into two lines, goes thru the fuse box and finally into the battery. Hopefully this will finally end my fan/battery/alt problems.

Oh yeah, added an extra ground as well, another 4ga from the alt bracket to the neg battery post. I'm not THAT stupid..... :shake:

grandmaster
01-21-2011, 06:34 PM
Been a while since anyone has posted on this thread....I'm about to do this and need a little help.

Iv'e read through the whole thing and can't seem to get a straight answer. I'm going to use a 40amp relay for the low power setting on the fan, I got that much.

It's going to go to a 3 way toggle. On-off-on. My question is what has worked best for the high side of the relay?? I can't seem to find an 80amp at the parts store I work at. and can only find a select few online. It seems like people had problems with the ford starting solinoid. Can someone please straighten me out on what to get here. Thanks in advance.

CrawlerReady
01-21-2011, 06:39 PM
I use two relays....one 30 amp relay that toggles the fan on/off. and the other that toggles between low/high. This gives me two toggle switches, on/off and low/high. I prefer it this way so I am able to turn the fan on/off if needed.

I run the fan on high 99% of the time and never had any issues. I also run the larger 30 amp fuse (not the flat style). Never had an issue there either.

Ken L
01-21-2011, 07:18 PM
A Ford starting solenoid is not continuous duty, so that's why it burns out on the high side of the fan. I went thru the parts list at my NAPA store and found a continuous duty solenoid, I believe it was from a winch or a snow plow. Solenoids like that are big relays anyway. Works without a hitch. I use an on-off-on switch (forget what they are called, DPDT?) to control both low and high speeds with one switch.

dp96zj
01-21-2011, 07:37 PM
There was a lengthy discussion in my build thread a while back.

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?p=292562#post292562

FWIW, I've got a 40a relay on the high side, 30a on the low side. So far, it's been trouble free.

grandmaster
01-21-2011, 08:42 PM
I use two relays....one 30 amp relay that toggles the fan on/off. and the other that toggles between low/high. This gives me two toggle switches, on/off and low/high. I prefer it this way so I am able to turn the fan on/off if needed.

I run the fan on high 99% of the time and never had any issues. I also run the larger 30 amp fuse (not the flat style). Never had an issue there either.

So you running 2 toggles will do the same thing as me running 1 toggle that is 3 way.... low-off-high. I just get confused at how to wire with relays...it's a new concept to me.

A Ford starting solenoid is not continuous duty, so that's why it burns out on the high side of the fan. I went thru the parts list at my NAPA store and found a continuous duty solenoid, I believe it was from a winch or a snow plow. Solenoids like that are big relays anyway. Works without a hitch. I use an on-off-on switch (forget what they are called, DPDT?) to control both low and high speeds with one switch.

That's the route I will be going too.

There was a lengthy discussion in my build thread a while back.

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?p=292562#post292562

FWIW, I've got a 40a relay on the high side, 30a on the low side. So far, it's been trouble free.

Thanks for the link. I'm not running mine to my ignition or to a temp switch. Anyone have a wiring diagram on how to do it with the 2 relays and 1 toggle. I've done countless searches (maybe i'm dumb) but just can't find the way I want to wire it.

xtremzj
09-07-2011, 01:53 PM
mega bump. Im looking to do the same fan mod. Im sick of this thing over heating. The junkyard has a 5.9 hood and fan so i might pick them both up.

suruba
10-17-2011, 09:13 AM
Bookmarked for reference, thanks for all the good info guys

Dave