PDA

View Full Version : Home alignment. What do you do?

Trancezj
07-15-2004, 01:36 PM
Well, I'm having a hard time getting it right. I'm not trying to get it perfect, but measuring tire distances doesnt' seem to be working. What do you do?

JayDee
07-15-2004, 02:12 PM
1. Pick two points on the rear frame rails. Use a hole or something, make sure it's the same one on both sides. Take a tape measure and measure from one of those holes, to the rear axle tube, keeping the tape as straight as possible Record the distance. Repeat for the other side. Adjust links to make them the same. This squares your rear axle with the vehicle.

2. Measure from the rear axle tube (again, close to the wheel) to the front axle tube. Make sure you get a good measurement by not letting the tape sag. Repeat for both sides, adjust the FRONT axle links to SQUARE THE FRONT AXLE WITH THE REAR.

3. Jack up the front axle in the center. Remove wheels/tires. two EQUAL LENGTH pieces of straight steel (1x1 works well) and clamp it to the hub, make sure both pieces are horizontal, and make sure the pieces are "centered" on the hub. Take your tape measure and measure the distances between the ends of the pieces of steel. Make both measurements the same, or subtract 1/16" from the front of the axle measurement (toe-in).

4. Caster is up to you.

Trancezj
07-15-2004, 02:36 PM
Very very nice. I was thinking something like that, except measuring front from some holes, but that is a much better idea.

JohnBoulderCO
07-15-2004, 06:37 PM
That's pretty good!

For a quick front toe check use two yard sticks. Hold them together with zip ties and slide them out to touch the inner sidewalls, front side, then back side. You can read the yard sticks to get the toe in number.

For caster, use an angle finder and put it on the bottom ball joint, it is a flat surface. I use one of the tilt meters they sell at the 4 wheel drive shops (better for caster then tilt numbers). Not a perfect caster measurement, but very close.

gsh
07-15-2004, 09:08 PM
What about pinion angle? No problem with upper AND lower adjustable CA's. No pointers for just lower adjustables, or (gasp) fixed CA's?

I got fixed all around. No adjustment rear for me fer now. Up front just got the factory lower adjustment. I just go for a good pinion angle and screw the caster. One of these days I might get those eccentric adjuster bolts and washers. For now I just drop a bottle jack horizontally on the LCA, works nice.

I just throw a tape measure front and back on the front tires for toe. Just make sure I'm measuring from exact same points on the tires. I lay the tape on top of the LCA's. Front just under the cut off bumper cover (did I cut that the same on each side?) I go for zero first, then crank a turn in.

I can never get the steering wheel perfect straight so I gave up trying and just get it close. After-wrenchin' beer time is more important any ways. Besides always gotta test drive after any wrenching, right? I'm still waiting for someone (that certain female) to figure out that the best test drive for alignment is not on the trail. I aint tellin'.

JayDee
07-15-2004, 11:41 PM
What about pinion angle? No problem with upper AND lower adjustable CA's. No pointers for just lower adjustables, or (gasp) fixed CA's?

No. I assume anyone reading that is going to have at least an adjustable suspension. I mean... otherwise I would be talking about stock arms, which would NOT be mallcrawlin worthy.

And what ABOUT pinion angle? Not my problem you didn't drop the coin for adjustable stuff.

Sorry :roll:

gsh
07-16-2004, 12:35 PM
Not my problem you didn't drop the coin for adjustable stuff.

Not there yet, but in the meantime I figure going straight down the road would be nice. More important is to save wear and tear on the tires so that money can go towards adjustable suspension parts.

About pinion angle: My rear is fine due to the kit having correct length LCA's. My front I adjust only to the pinion angle and skip caster, it's close enough. I'll take tire wear over stressed u-joints or pinion bearing. My preference. Some others might prefer to split the difference between pinion angle and caster if they can find a happy medium.

JayDee
07-16-2004, 03:17 PM
If it were me, I would rather set my caster up for great handling and steering and pull the front drive shaft.

nate
07-21-2004, 04:21 AM
For alignments, I just do it by eye. No problems with pulling, tires wearing funny, etc.

luvthejeep
08-04-2004, 01:40 PM
where the hell do yuo get the d44 camber spacers? my camber is all f-ed up with this front axle-

JayDee
08-04-2004, 04:27 PM
where the hell do yuo get the d44 camber spacers? my camber is all f-ed up with this front axle-

Which axle? My 78 Bronco D44 has some built-in camber. Very noticeable with large tires.

luvthejeep
08-04-2004, 07:27 PM
the front axle- one side has alot of positve camber (top of tire out, bottom of tire in) and teh other side has a small amount of positve camber- id like them both to be either dead on or a bit negative- the whole truck is pulling too- its a bitch-

justinreinke
08-04-2004, 09:47 PM
the front axle- one side has alot of positve camber (top of tire out, bottom of tire in) and teh other side has a small amount of positve camber- id like them both to be either dead on or a bit negative- the whole truck is pulling too- its a bitch-

Offset ball joints maybe?

luvthejeep
08-04-2004, 11:01 PM
i looked all over for them- no luck- they have tons of them for a d30 in a jeep- i dont think those fit the 77 d44 do they?

JayDee
08-05-2004, 12:31 AM
i looked all over for them- no luck- they have tons of them for a d30 in a jeep- i dont think those fit the 77 d44 do they?

No, a 30 ball joint won't interchange.

Not sure about finding offset 44 ball joints. Most, if not all, D44 ball joints are going to be the same.

My suggestion would be to call around to all of the bronco shops like BC Broncos, Bronco Graveyard, James Duff, maybe call Currie or some axle builders too and ask them if they have heard of or used offset 44 ball joints. GET A PART NUMBER! (Don't forget!)

You may just have a bent housing. :shock:

luvthejeep
08-05-2004, 10:52 AM
ugh- dont say that-

MaineZJ
12-01-2004, 12:41 PM
Just wondering what effect the castor has to handling when it's off?