PDA

View Full Version : Redrilling 8.8 rotors for 6 lug

ATL ZJ
07-11-2004, 12:02 AM
Going from 5x4.5 to 6x5.5 to match the bolt pattern of my Waggy 44 front. Should I be able to redrill these? I know you cannot make wheels that incorporate both these bolt patterns, and in that case the rotors would have the same problem.

This will be on an 8.8 with custom alloy shafts. If I can't redrill these, I'll need new rotors. Toys have the same 6-lug bolt pattern but I know a lot of them run big ass rotors. Like the 3rd gen 4runners for instance. Maybe an Izuzu rotor or chebby?

Alaska ZJ
07-11-2004, 09:18 AM
Chebby stuff. has the correct bolt pattern.

Have you thought of an adapter? like from spydertrax? that way you can use your stock brake stuff and have the new 6 bolt pattern?

For the disc's I would be conserned about just finding the right diameter (Tape measure confirms this). and Hat deapth (Again the tape is your friend). Take your disc into a Napa and tell them you want to look at some CHebby, Toy disc's. Bring your tapemeasure and I bet you can find one that will work.

I imagine redrilling is not going to happen. Those patterns are pretty close to matching in quite a few spots.

ATL ZJ
07-11-2004, 03:02 PM
That helps a lot Alaska. I was already planning to give myself a fair amount of time in Napa comparing rotors.

I did consider adapters, but the thinnest they can be made is 2.5" when converting from 5x4.5 to 6x5.5. And they also have to be the 2-piece adapters, which have been known to separate and cause some nasty onroad carnage. Having 2.5" additional trackwidth at each rear wheel would put me at almost 65" WMS to WMS in the rear, which is way more than my ~ 60-61" front. I also like the thought of getting alloy shafts for roughly the same price as adapters.

GrandZJ
07-11-2004, 10:30 PM
I've redrilled Dana 44 axles and drums before without problems. The only thing will be just a matter of enough room on the axle.

Shawn

ATL ZJ
07-11-2004, 11:43 PM
I've redrilled Dana 44 axles and drums before without problems. The only thing will be just a matter of enough room on the axle.

Shawn

From what bolt pattern to what bolt pattern? Waggy or Ford D44s?

GrandZJ
07-12-2004, 06:14 PM
Went from 5-4.5 to 5-5.5 on an XJ rear 44. I have not done a front but should be able to do so in a similar matter. I made a plate at work with both bolt patterns on it and just bolted it on and used a transfer punch to mark the new pattern and put it in the drill press and drilled away. When finished there werent any out of ballance issues.

Shawn

ATL ZJ
07-12-2004, 11:16 PM
Great. I'll try making the plate and update this thread when I figure it out for sure.