PDA

View Full Version : spools and control arm bushings

BigDaveZJ
07-07-2004, 10:15 AM
I've got a spool in the 8.8. Since I've put it in I've DESTROYED my rear UCA bushings. I really hate to put any money into my short arms as I plan on going long arms within a year, but for those of you who've got a spool on short arms, do you find it eats your rear UCA bushings? If I can slap some new bushings in there and be good for a while I will, but if they're just going to get destroyed in another couple months I won't bother. Stock uppers by the way.

GetoZJ
07-07-2004, 11:46 AM
I don't know, my stock uca bushings were gone long before I put the spool in, I do have acouple of extra sets, with good bushings though, probably not worth the shipping though? Up to you, they're yours if you want em.

BigDaveZJ
07-07-2004, 11:54 AM
I might just try to find some cheap upper adjustable's, help out my pinion angle while I'm at it. My UCA bushings were fine (outside of 150k miles) before the spool, I'm just curious if the spool pushed them over the edge finally or if the spool will eat any others alive.

gsh
07-07-2004, 11:54 AM
What kind, stock rubber or poly?

BigDaveZJ
07-07-2004, 11:59 AM
stock rubber

gearhead313
07-07-2004, 01:49 PM
with my spool in the 8.8, the holes in the UCA brackets actually started to egg out. I thought it might have been the JJ going bad, but its the bracket. So probably the same principle is being applied.

nathaniel
07-07-2004, 03:40 PM
Dave have you already strengthened the upper mounts if not I would do so then replace them. I have a set of non adj front re uppers that I'm making into rear adj uppers that I could sell you for cheap. One end will be rubber and the other 3/4-16 threads to buy whatever joint you want. I have a set of boulder bushings or???

BigDaveZJ
07-07-2004, 05:04 PM
I haven't really strengthened the UCA mounts at all. I plan on 4-linking it pretty soon, so that's not really a "major" issue right now. It wouldn't be too hard for me to reinforce them a little bit though.