PDA

View Full Version : Dana 30 Aussie Locker Installed - UPDATED

JeepinHank
07-06-2004, 01:29 PM
Well, Sunday night I got a wild hair, and decided to install my Aussie Locker in the front 30 on the Jeep.

I didn't take pics and I won't bother you with the details of the installation, but I figured I'd give you some highlights:

If you haven't replaced / removed the hubs recently, plan on that being a pain in the ass. Luckily I had done mine recently, so this wasn't a problem. If you haven't, plan on using lots of grease / anti sieze when you reinstall everything.
I had to pull the carrier and remove the ring gear to install the locker. The cross shaft wouldn't clear my thick ring gear to remove it. It was easier to do everything on the bench as opposed to in the axle anyway.
The directions really stress checking your tolerances, have a feeler guage / gap guage handy to do so.
Make sure you have the parts laid out correctly, and keep it straight as to which side is which for thrust washers & such.

Overall, installation wasn't bad at all. The worst thing for me was getting that carrier out. There's just something about hammering/prying on the ring gear/carrier that I feel uncomfortable about.

The post install testing went fine. The locker is definately present when in 4wd. In 2wd the only way you know its there is when you hear it clicking in tight turns.

I look forward to giving it a shake down soon... I'll update this thread when that time comes, and I'll take a few pics cause I plan on draining it and checking out the fluid at the same time.

I hope this provides a little bit of info for you folks looking for an affordable lunchbox locker. If you have any specific questions - fire away!

Hank

Raacerx
07-06-2004, 02:43 PM
How long did the install take?

Curious because I think Im gonng get a lunchbox. I ended up with a 231 case instead of a 242, so I want to simplify things and not run a front ARB.

Trancezj
07-06-2004, 03:29 PM
I'd say with experience it could go as fast as 1.5 hours counting getting it on jackstands and putting it totally back together.

anyway, you gunna come to GSSE and show how that thing works for you?

JeepinHank
07-06-2004, 04:49 PM
I'd allow around half a day or around 4 hours. That's for the whole deal: setting up shop, pulling the shafts, removing the carrier, installation, testing, and clean up afterwards. That's probably being a little generous, but I'm assuming you're in a situation similar to mine: Jeep with high mileage and its share of stubborn bolts. If you run into trouble with the hubs, it could easily set you back an hour or so.

Your FSM is definately your friend - I had mine within reach the whole time. I'm sure if you've gone into the front end a few times you could probably do it without looking, but I rarely go into my diffs for anything other than a fluid change.

Trancezj
07-06-2004, 05:23 PM
Just follow the instructions step by step. Read them through a time or six first. I'd suggest a hub puller dealy. I found an old one, don't even know it that's what it's for but it works damn good for getting a wheelbearing off in a hurry, 'cause other wise it's sledge hammer time.

JeepinHank
07-06-2004, 05:35 PM
anyway, you gunna come to GSSE and show how that thing works for you?

I'm still trying to work that out. It'll be a last minute kind of thing, but I'm trying my best to make it. If anything, I'll show up late Friday Night / Early Saturday Morning and just ride Saturday. I've still gotta send some $ to Tim / Pearce.

JeepinHank
07-08-2004, 12:37 PM
I hadn't thought of this before, but I figured I'd offer a little bit of info on the overall order experience:

I ordered the locker from Torq Masters. http://www.offroadlockers.com

I believe these guys are the sole distributors, and some sort of affiliate of Aussie Locker. I placed my order on 6/22/04

I thought I would have received an email confirming my order as part of the order process, but I didn't receive one. Being the impatient bastard that I am, I emailed them on 6/23/04 to seek confirmation of my order.

I got a reply from Bill Cole (President of the Company no less) on 6/24/04 stating that my order would ship that day. He also provided a UPS tracking number in the reply.

The package arrived at work on 6/29/04. In other words I had it in my hands within a week of placing the order. I know in the past I had heard that there were manufacturing delays and problems with products shipping in time, but those problems must have been take care of. A one week turn around time is honestly much better than I had expected.

Overall, I'd consider the entire experience pretty hassle free, and, as of right now, I would recommend the company/product to anyone looking for a lunchbox locker.
------------------------------

To give an update on the performance of the locker: I headed down to a local sand pit to just lock it in and make sure everything was pulling like it was supposed to, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. Admittedly, it took all my little under-geared 4.0 had to turn the tires over, but I was able to crawl up a little "off camber" section that we had previously dug out to flex out and test our suspensions. No wheel spin what so ever.

I hope to get it up to Uwharrie in the next couple of weeks to really put it through its paces. Of course, I'll really be able to give a better opinion after that.
Stay tuned!

JH

JeepinHank
08-17-2004, 09:53 AM
Just got back from a weekend at Tellico. Yeah - I was a week late for GSSE. :oops:

The Aussie locker was awesome. I was pretty much guaranteed to get through anything that I could get my front tires up and over. It did take some getting used to on trail 1 with it in 4wd. It was nice to see both front wheels spinning whenever I was in the spotter position. No breakage. I beat on it pretty hard, and it still locked / unlocked like it was supposed to coming home.

Overall - couldn't be happier. Now I just gotta get one for the rear.

Hank

mikebeach
08-17-2004, 09:23 PM
How long did you wait for you aussie locker? I had a buddy that waited for 3 months before he cancelled his order.
Mike

MaineZJ
08-18-2004, 06:39 AM
Looking at the application chart... did some ZJ's really come with a 35 front?
can't wait till I can afford an aussie.... just need a real job

JeepinHank
08-18-2004, 10:15 AM
How long did you wait for you aussie locker? I had a buddy that waited for 3 months before he cancelled his order.
Mike

It was about a week from order to receipt. I placed my order on 6/22 and got the package on 6/29. I heard the same horror stories about back orders and supplier issues, but they must have that stuff taken care of now. I have no reason to complain at all.

Maine - I think that's just a mis-print. The only D35 fronts I'm aware of are the IFS D35 found in ford explorers. Anyway - a locker will make for a great improvement in the capability of your rig - bar none. Whatever you end up going with - you won't be disappointed in the improvements you'll experience.

I do hear a little more of the clicking than I'd like when I'm turning around in the mall parking lot. :wink: I've heard that running Synthetic gear oil will make the clicking a bit more noticeable. I'm running Mobil Synthetic right now, but I plan on trying plain old dino next time around to see if that makes a difference. Even if its no quieter, I don't mind the clicking too much - it lets me know the locker is still working.

JH

LouisianaZJ
08-19-2004, 05:40 PM
Good luck with yours, they are not the strongest things, but they sure are cheap and easy.

JeepinHank
08-20-2004, 01:26 PM
Good luck with yours, they are not the strongest things, but they sure are cheap and easy.

Like you said - cheap and easy.... Those are two of my biggest criteria. :P

I'm fully aware of the fact that they can be broken (although they claim they are stronger than lockrights). I just wanted an affordable locker. If I break it, I'll try to get it covered under warranty. If they won't warranty it, I'll definately report back here. Also, if I break it, then its probably time for me to move up to something a little stronger. Hopefully, I can make it live at my target tire size - 35's. I guess we'll see.

I'm just glad I finally locked up the front. I had always told myself I was going to, but I never got around to doing it. Now I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

Sudz
04-29-2005, 12:11 PM
I'm fully aware of the fact that they can be broken (although they claim they are stronger than lockrights). I just wanted an affordable locker. If I break it, I'll try to get it covered under warranty. If they won't warranty it, I'll definately report back here

7 months later...

how's the aussie holding up? - i'm installing one in my dana turdy this weekend - let me know

-Sudz

JeepinHank
04-29-2005, 12:30 PM
7 months later...

how's the aussie holding up? - i'm installing one in my dana turdy this weekend - let me know

-Sudz

The ZJ has been on jackstands waiting on the new suspension and axles since around the end of December. I pulled it out of the LP 30 and there aren't any signs of wear that I can see. I didn't put it under the microscope or anything, but the teeth of the locker still look nice and square. I've seen a worn out lock right before, and a sure sign of wear is the corners of the teeth on the locker starting to look round.

The LP 30 did have a pinion bearing fail on it. I don't know if the locker had anything to do with that, but I doubt it. I'm still happy with the Aussie Locker. I'll be installing it in the HP 30 that's going into the ZJ. I just finished getting the 4.56 gears set up. I've got to fab up a block off plate for the old vac disco and install the special seal to run the ZJ LP 30 shafts.

Sudz
04-29-2005, 01:25 PM
thanks - sounds good