PDA

View Full Version : Meat lets go of some Heat! Hood vents

Alaska ZJ
07-05-2004, 09:08 AM
Hoodvents anyone?

http://orw.truckmoxie.com/gallery/95ZJ/118786.jpg

Finished product

http://orw.truckmoxie.com/gallery/95ZJ/118785.jpg

Total cost......3 bucks or less. And they look better than the 5.9 vents IMO.

chopshop
07-05-2004, 12:00 PM
looks good, yes.

what about rain on the dist.?
did you use dryer vents for a house?

Alaska ZJ
07-05-2004, 12:34 PM
Yah those are attic ventilation vents.

That would be ALOT of rain if it caused your distro trouble. I have had mine like that for over a year with no troubles.

Kraqa
07-05-2004, 03:52 PM
apperently we get monsoon rain all the way up here in canada. those look good man. havn't done that yet but maybe sometime.

Raacerx
07-05-2004, 07:04 PM
while I wouldn't go as far to say that they "look better" then the 5.9 or Pontiac hood vents, I wouldn't hesitate to say they work a lot better. Bigger and a better location. Looks good, reminds me I need to install my vents I bought like a year ago.

DeathWobbleZJ
07-06-2004, 02:34 AM
nice vents... from the fist pic, i was expecting some sort of triangle vent. thad look sweet. but those are nice also... 8)

Alaska ZJ
07-06-2004, 12:35 PM
No need to cut the hood bracing for the small bit of extra cooling surface...

I know that in Moab I didn't go over 180 the entire day. Even when I popped a pinhole leak in my brand new radiator.....lol Thanks Sandy.

GetoZJ
07-06-2004, 12:39 PM
Looks awesome, but I'd be scared to do it up here, with all the mud and water....Even though my FIPK sits right over some nice holes on the drivers front innerfender....

Jeepinparrothead
07-06-2004, 12:52 PM
Alaska....did he cut the whole triangle out or what. It looks like he did but how would a rectangle vent fit over a triangle. I guess I am lost. Been trying to figure out how to do this for awhile. I spent some time after looking at this thread trying to figure out what he did and am lost. Thanks man

Alaska ZJ
07-06-2004, 12:55 PM
You do ealize that you can cut out a triangle and cover it with a rectangle if the rectangle is big enough right?

Small Triangle covered by Big Rectangle.....lol

Feel free to step outside of that box your trapped in....the air will do you good. (harrassing you)

Jeepinparrothead
07-06-2004, 12:58 PM
Thanks man....us accountants don't get much air. Thanks, so now I see a small rectangle cut and the big vent and I am good as gold. That is my next project.

95 ZJ
07-06-2004, 03:51 PM
Damn another 4x4 board, it's a good thing I have alot of spare time at work. I got those hood vents at Home Depot for a wopping $10. I couldn't find black ones anywhere so I got chrome and sanded them then painted them black. I'm kind of curious as to how well the paint on the vents will hold up when I use the pressure washer. Brentt (Alaska ZJ) gave me the idea when I saw his like a year ago before he moved to that wasteland called North Dakota. Hey Brentt were your hood vents black when you bought them or did you paint them, how are they holding up? It really isn't a hard project at all and it couldn't get any cheaper, the hardest part was getting the paint to stay on the vents since they were chrome it took me several tries and some sanding. I'm really satisfied with the finished product.

Oh and if anyone tries this, since the cuts are triangle and the vents are square when you look through the vents you can see the part of the hood you didn't cut and it stands out if your paint isn't already black, just tape it off and paint that area black too and then you can't hardly tell that the hole in the hood isn't square. If that doesn't make any since then don't bother reading it again, you'll understand if you do it yourself.

Alaska ZJ
07-06-2004, 04:31 PM
They were crome as well. 2 bucks for a can of self etching primer and 1 buck for a can of rustoleum black.....I have not touched them up since.

Nice bumper Meat....wonder were your design came from. I hear through the grapevine that you are learning to actually not hit everything in the trail and are occasionally spotted moving under your own power. Keep it up man...just when you get good at wheeling AK you will PCS.

GetoZJ
07-06-2004, 05:29 PM
Might be a dumb question, but how did you attach them? Just self tapping screws?

Can I get a upclose pic of under and the top of em, just for some ideas?

thanks

95 ZJ
07-06-2004, 11:17 PM
Geto ZJ- yes I used self tapping screws and they worked fine although it really helps if you have two people so one can hold the vent while the other does the drilling. I will try to post some close up pics tomarrow so you can get a better look.

Brentt- yes occasionally I have been known to move a good 10 to 15 feet on my own before requiring a winch. To be serious it has been so damn dry up here in Alaska that we ran Boulder at the M&G with almost stock rigs and we didn't pull one winch cable all day, kinda takes the fun out of it when it's not wet. We need some rain although the weather has been awesome, I just got back from intermural golf and it was 73 degrees with clear blue skys and a light breeze. Gotta love the Air Force when they let me out of work for 6 hours to go play 18 holes of golf :D As far as the PCS thing, since this is a 3 year tour I won't have another base unless I reenlist. I don't know for sure what I want to do but I narrowed it down to becoming a civilian cop, cross training in the Air Force to a more "physical" field, or doing the Blue to Green program that is part of the new force shaping. Look out I might be coming to your side of the fence so I can eat shity tasting chow and work twice as hard for my pay, but atleast I would get to fire some weapons and get deployed now and then.

nate
07-07-2004, 07:21 AM
That is me with the grinder... my garage as well. I was more than happy to fire up the grinder and cut some sheetmetal. Alot easier when it's not your rig haha.

There are alot of cross braces on the hood. We considered cutting a square, but I figured for that little bit of of ventilation, it'd be alot of cross brace removed. The vents are around 7"x13" if I remember correctly. Yeah I guess it will let rain in, but hey, it will just clean some of the mud off. If water is getting into the distributor from a vent like that, the cap is probably cracked or something.

Also Gary shit canned the felt liner thingee. I'm not sure what benefit the thing has really. Guess for road noise?

Personally I think it looks better than the 5.9L vents. I was actually going to go that route, but I'm going to save the $95 and get some house vents. Plus if you bust one or whatever, it's only $5 down the drain.

chadjans
07-07-2004, 11:30 AM
I went to the Home Depot and walked around for a while and couldn't find the vents that I thought were similar to the ones used here. Are these found in the ducting register section or some where else? And what size are we using? I saw 7 by 13 mentioned in the post but can we take a tape measure to one for sure?

Chad

gsh
07-07-2004, 12:12 PM
About the water on the dist. . . I'm sure glad DC finally got rid of that old Mopar quirk. I remember when you stall a Mopar just sneezing on the dist. Almost makes my developed skill of waterproofing distributors obsolete.

Like the vents, cheap is good. Those things come in different shapes too.

Alaska ZJ
07-07-2004, 01:41 PM
I went to the Home Depot and walked around for a while and couldn't find the vents that I thought were similar to the ones used here. Are these found in the ducting register section or some where else? And what size are we using? I saw 7 by 13 mentioned in the post but can we take a tape measure to one for sure?

Chad

You seriously need someone to take a tape to them? Come on man this fucker ain't going to the moon ya know.

chadjans
07-07-2004, 02:23 PM
wow

Is it wrong to build something correct the first time around?

95 ZJ
07-08-2004, 06:08 AM
The vents measure 7.5" by 13.5" although it doesn't really matter what size they are cause you could make your vents whatever size you like them. Here are the pics you asked for, hopefully they show up ok since I took them at 1:00am and it was kinda dark outside...

http://orw.truckmoxie.com/gallery/95ZJ/118918.jpg

http://orw.truckmoxie.com/gallery/95ZJ/118917.jpg

and the top view incase you want to see where I put the screws...

http://orw.truckmoxie.com/gallery/95ZJ/118919.jpg

OverkillZJ
07-13-2004, 10:30 AM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............