PDA

View Full Version : LF LCA body bracket keeps breaking off........

Taz
07-04-2004, 05:16 PM
I've had it welded 2x's and it's still cracking. Anyone have suggestions.......OTHER THAN GOING LA's?

thnx

-T

BigDaveZJ
07-04-2004, 05:26 PM
Reinforce it

MaineZJ
07-04-2004, 05:26 PM
Just go to LA and move the bracket up some.

Or, reweld it, beef it up, and make some skids for em

mikebeach
07-04-2004, 05:30 PM
Reinforce it
Yeah, what he said beef it up. Bring it over to the shop.
Mike

Raacerx
07-05-2004, 07:01 PM
Reinforce it
Yeah, what he said beef it up. Bring it over to the shop.
Mike

make a new one?

I'd just take a piece of 3/16" plate, then bend and cut to shape. That is of course if you have access to a hydraulic brake and a cutting device of some sort. Could just weld 3 pieces of plate together as well. Just look at the thing. I could think of about 5 different avenues to take.

Bulldog 6
07-06-2004, 09:57 AM
Well if you have had it welded on 2X now then the metal is starting to crystalize. It will be forever weak at that point. If you are not gonna long arm it then you need to cut out the weakened area and weld in new metal to weld your bracket on to. It would be a good idea to get a new LCA bracket as well as it too has crystalized and is now weak.

chadjans
07-07-2004, 11:14 AM
crystalized LOL

Chad

Bulldog 6
07-07-2004, 03:54 PM
Yes metal will crystalize if welded too many times. Right now I am serving fulltime in the military. Prior to that I have worked 8 + years in the steel industry as a maintenance supervisor. When metal breaks and is welded back together too many times it will crystalize and become brittle. I have personnaly seen this. I have seen 1.5 inch roundbar welded back together because it was easier to fix this way than completely tear down and replace. A full "V" was cut into the ends and 100% welded by skilled ironworkers. I am talking many many passes with 6010 roots and 7018 finish welds properly descaled after each pass. Several hours to meticulously do. Only to come in the next day and the fuckin thing broke again. Not broke in the weld but right next to it in the weakened metal. Rule of thumb was weld it up 1 or 2 times, after the second break then it was time to replace the entire assembly. We try to save it by welding it up because it will take a crew of 8 - 10 millwrights, ironworkers, electricians, and a pipefitter most of 3 days to replace then entire assembly.

Repair, 2 ironworkers 2 - 3 hours, replace 8- 10 skilled craftsmen (sometimes more) 2-1/2 days to replace the assembly. This work is done in an area that sees 200 deg F plus. Your hard hat gets so hot that you cannot touch it without gloves.

Metal will fatigue and crystalize when over worked. When that happens then it is time to replace with new metal.

DeathWobbleZJ
07-10-2004, 06:41 PM
Yes metal will crystalize if welded too many times. Right now I am serving fulltime in the military. Prior to that I have worked 8 + years in the steel industry as a maintenance supervisor. When metal breaks and is welded back together too many times it will crystalize and become brittle. I have personnaly seen this. I have seen 1.5 inch roundbar welded back together because it was easier to fix this way than completely tear down and replace. A full "V" was cut into the ends and 100% welded by skilled ironworkers. I am talking many many passes with 6010 roots and 7018 finish welds properly descaled after each pass. Several hours to meticulously do. Only to come in the next day and the fuckin thing broke again. Not broke in the weld but right next to it in the weakened metal. Rule of thumb was weld it up 1 or 2 times, after the second break then it was time to replace the entire assembly. We try to save it by welding it up because it will take a crew of 8 - 10 millwrights, ironworkers, electricians, and a pipefitter most of 3 days to replace then entire assembly.

Repair, 2 ironworkers 2 - 3 hours, replace 8- 10 skilled craftsmen (sometimes more) 2-1/2 days to replace the assembly. This work is done in an area that sees 200 deg F plus. Your hard hat gets so hot that you cannot touch it without gloves.

Metal will fatigue and crystalize when over worked. When that happens then it is time to replace with new metal.

you got served!

AprilzWarrior
07-11-2004, 01:25 AM
I've had it welded 2x's and it's still cracking. Anyone have suggestions.......OTHER THAN GOING LA's?

thnx

-T

Pull the bracket back against the UniBody, and then run a bead down to hold it in place. Then take some 3/16" Plate and drill several 3/8" holes in the plate, and Rosette weld it on to the tear and unibody.

This is ghetto and african tech at its finest. Go LAs to resolve this...

AW

Taz
07-13-2004, 05:50 PM
Go LAs to resolve this...

IF I WASN'T LAID OFF AND COULD FAWKIN AFFORD IT I WOULD!!

OverkillZJ
07-13-2004, 09:03 PM
Go LAs to resolve this...

IF I WASN'T LAID OFF AND COULD FAWKIN AFFORD IT I WOULD!!

DO THE CAPS MEAN THAT YOU WERE LAID OFF HARDER?

Go replace another water pump :lol:

robselina
07-13-2004, 10:12 PM
Yes metal will crystalize if welded too many times.

right idea, but it's not exactly crystalization. The correct term is hardening. Heating and then rapid cooling puts the steel in a state of strain. This strain will cause fractures and cracks and similar problems in the grain of the steel, which will result in failure as you noted, but it's not 'crystalizing'....what you're saying about metal fatigue is completely true, and for sure, the simplest thing to do is replace it, not arguing there, but there's a lot of misinformation out there and we should try to keep all this straight :lol:
peace,
Rob

chadjans
07-13-2004, 10:52 PM
you got served!

Only if he used the correct term.

Taz
07-15-2004, 12:02 AM
Repair Shop? :?

Bulldog 6
07-15-2004, 09:42 AM
The correct term is hardening. Heating and then rapid cooling puts the steel in a state of strain.

Welding will not normally cause hardening. Welding will cause the metal to turn liquid and then it is fused together in the process resulting in a different metallurgical structure. Hardening happens when the metal is heated up beyond the point that harder steel is formed. The martensitic point if I remember correctly. Once heated the metal will take on more carbon resulting in a harder steel. In order to harden, the metal is then rapidly cooled with water, oil, or forced air. The resulting steel is then very strong but very brittle. Annealing the steel by heating it above 450 deg F and holding it there for a specified time and then allowed to air cool will remove the brittleness but not much of the strength.

Crystalization may not be the correct term, but it is the term used by the ironworkers in the steel industry.