PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Cut (High Pinion). How to tell?

DixieZJ
07-04-2004, 02:40 PM
i have a HP44 out of a 78 bronco. how do i tell if the gears are reverse rotaion or not?

let me know if this correct or not: if the pinion meshs with the ring gear above the center line of the ring gear they are RR gears. also, look at the direction the teeth on the ring gear are cut. the teeth at 12 o'clock should go up and to the right for a standard rotation gear and up and to the left for a reverse rotation gear.

edited- I edited the title correctly. the R&P does not rotate in reverse.

BigDaveZJ
07-04-2004, 02:52 PM
Does the pinion yoke go in on top? Then it's a HP RC axle.

DixieZJ
07-04-2004, 03:01 PM
well alright, thanks

OverkillZJ
07-13-2004, 09:05 PM
For the record; it's reverse CUT not reverse rotation.

I'll roll over in my grave when I'm dead, every time someone calls one reverse rotation....

GetoZJ
07-13-2004, 09:43 PM
hp=rc

DeathWobbleZJ
07-14-2004, 04:04 PM
No0b wants to learn

all HPs are RC? so is there something special you have to do to your DS to make it work or does it work the same?

BigDaveZJ
07-14-2004, 04:25 PM
No0b wants to learn

all HPs are RC? so is there something special you have to do to your DS to make it work or does it work the same?

Maybe if you did your time at JU you'd know!! :D :lol: :D :lol: :D

HP's have to be RC. Driveshaft may need to be shortened a little, but YMMV.

Alaska ZJ
07-17-2004, 11:19 AM
Keep it tech related or go to chit chat. I deleted all the dumb shit.

As overkill said the gears do not rotate in reverse. They rotate the exact some way.

However the gears are cut differently so that while in a front application they do not try and drive off of the coast side of the gears. Driving off the coast side is essentially running the gears backwards (maybe this is where the Reverse Rotation saying comes from).

When you cut the gears to drive off the drive side in a fron application moving the pinion gear to the topside is a "fringe benefit". Easiest way to tell is to picture the axle centerline and then if the pinion is above that line it is a HP/RC axle. If it is below it is a LP/SC(standard cut) axle.

Ford is really the only manufacturer that has continually gotten it right. Jeep got it right in the XJ/MJ and YJ for awhile but not any more. Almost all Chevy and Mopar fronts are Low Pinion or Standard Cut.

Nate Cannon
07-17-2004, 02:34 PM
and before anyone asks you can't take a PS drop lp axle flip it over and run it as a high pinion with "reverse rotation" gears. to piss off.
-Nate