PDA

View Full Version : Clarke welder

nmzj
07-01-2004, 01:04 PM
http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/weldingdepot/WE6524.html?id=aepyMhC2

Pretty cheap. I know the whole "you get what you pay for" line, but I ran across one person that loved the machine.

Jason

JpRngr
07-01-2004, 03:08 PM
I would go with either Lincoln or Miller/Hobart. I love my Miller Millermatic 210. Hobart is basically the same machines as the Miller's, but don't use as durable of parts as the Miller. They're more for the hobbiest and the Miller for the professional. So, consequently, the Hobart's are a little cheaper than their Miller counterpart.
My opinion is, you're going to be using the hell out of it, so don't get a questionable one. I can't say the Clarke is questionable or not, but personally I haven't heard anything about that brand.
Other thing is, get the biggest machine you can afford, you won't kick your self later that way.

Corey

JeepinHank
07-01-2004, 05:02 PM
I've got one, and I'll offer you my honest opinion on it (good and bad)

I really can't complain about it for what I use it for. I've never had an issue with the duty cycle, but I have to say that I don't weld a lot of 1/4" for long periods of time with it. I think the 1/4 in rating is a little generous, but if you put a good bevel in the pieces you're welding, it will get adequate penetration in one pass. Personally, I think its a good machine to learn with, especially for the price. My mentality is that I can get a really good machine whenever I feel the need to step up to something in the 200-250 amp range. I have a good feeling I can get most of my money out of this one when / if I decide to sell it. (I mean who's not going to answer a classified ad for a 220V mig for less than $350)

Its not the best by any means. The tapped settings take some getting used to. It doesn't have the smoothest start up, and its not the most stable arc, but it gets the job done. With a little practice, you'll be getting that tell - tale sizzling bacon sound in no time. When you get the opportunity to use a higher-end machine, you'll immediately recognize and really appreciate the differences. The regulator isn't the best, but it does what its supposed to do.

I've burnt through two 2lb spools, and I've put a good dent in an 11 lb spool. I haven't had any problems with any components. It uses standard TWECO contact tips and nozzles, so you should be able to get those consumables locally. I haven't had to replace the liner, but I have the feeling you'll have to order that whenever the time comes. You may want to consider upgrading to a longer gun/cable. I've found mine gets a little short whenever I'm actually welding on the Jeep. Definately go ahead and get the regulator, you'll be tired of FCAW before you finish the starter spool that comes with it.

All in all, its a great value for the hobby weldor looking for an entry level machine. If you are planning on doing production work - this isn't the welder for you. For learning and occasional use it'll be just fine.

Hank

Alaska ZJ
07-01-2004, 05:33 PM
I pulled the trigger on the Clarke once.....and that was enough for me.

Get the Hobart Handler 175. Cheapest of the "decent" welders.

http://www.welders-direct.com

That is who I bought mine from. They are out of Washington and just drop ship it to your door. Very Cool and Good pricing.

nmzj
07-01-2004, 06:55 PM
I pulled the trigger on the Clarke once.....and that was enough for me.

Thanks Brentt, that's what I wanted to hear. I was looking for someone who had used it.

Jason

JeepinHank
07-02-2004, 10:52 AM
Check out www.cyberweld.com

Free shipping, and better prices than welders direct. HH 180 is $579 vs $630 at the other site. Only difference I saw was welders direct included a cart. Build one your self - its a great first project.

chadjans
07-02-2004, 03:36 PM
I used a clark because it was all that was available to weld on my bumper stinger. Thing was junk and wouldn't hold an arc. Therefore my weld looked like a giant tack weld. I wouldn't buy one if my wallet had a choice.

Chad

Trancezj
07-02-2004, 04:01 PM
I guess I didn't realize the welder made such a difference. I mean, my beginer ass makes some damn good welds with my cheapo lincoln. I love the thing.. Has a bit much splatter, and it took some rigging to make a 10lb spool fit, but it works great. Hell, my sliders held the entire weight of my jeep at the shop for days. Not to mention........
http://www.jeepcrew.com/gallery/albums/album04/P5270001.sized.jpg
BTW there's my "toolbarrow"
and in this pic, it was right before I dropped the entire weight of my heap down on to the drives side slider.
http://www.jeepcrew.com/gallery/albums/album04/P5290013.sized.jpg

I guess I'm too novice to know quality from make due, but for now mine works great for $350.

Kraqa
07-02-2004, 06:23 PM
there the machien that apply's the glue to hold my junk together.
http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Kraqa/53.jpg

jwbronco
07-03-2004, 08:07 AM
Does anyone have any problems with Century Welders? I have a 270 amp century welder at my parents house, to much of a hassel to move with me everywhere I go and I don't have a garage. I really like using that welder, but I have a cheap lincoln 110 volt welder that I take with me for small projects.