1. Mig 175 and Tube bender
2. Mig 215 no bender
3. 225A arc, bender, DIY hydro

Uses:
Cage
possible frame build
bumpers etc.
suspension

Also, anyone know anything about clark welders?

BigDaveZJ
07-01-2004, 01:03 PM
Hmmmm, sounds to me like someone is trying to enter the ranks of the ZJ buggy's! Sweetness!!!!!

nmzj
07-01-2004, 01:16 PM
Either a ZJ or a Scrambler buggy...not completely sure yet. The windows and doors are out of the ZJ though...

BigDaveZJ
07-01-2004, 03:29 PM
The windows, roof and doors are out of the ZJ though...

Fixed that for ya!! :D

nmzj
07-01-2004, 05:20 PM
The windows, roof and doors are out of the ZJ though...

Fixed that for ya!! :D

The sunroof is out of it...top will come off next week. hopefully I'm borrowing my dads plasma :D

Alaska ZJ
07-01-2004, 05:29 PM
Get a Hobart Handler 175 and a Protools 105hd.

Pleanty good for the home hobbiest. I have a Powermig 215 and it is WAY more than I will ever need. Shit I have not even turned it up half way yet....lol.

Raacerx
07-02-2004, 03:28 AM
I have a Millermatic 210 and I cant imagine ever using more then half its power (thing can do like over 1" in one pass!) However, its nice to know the option is available and that the duty cycle is a lot more friendly.

Next big tool is a plasma torch, and same thing. Im going for a 50-60 amp even though I never plan on cutting anything more then 3/8". Just nice to have that ceiling. I want a bender but I decided the main thing I need to bend is tubing for a cage, and I just assume get an EOR.

Anonymous
07-02-2004, 10:50 AM
I run a miller matic 250. way over kill but at least i know i can always turn it up.

Kraqa
07-02-2004, 10:52 AM
ok well that last post was me. i didn't realize that i could post as a guest

BigDaveZJ
07-02-2004, 10:55 AM

You shouldn't be able to . . . . I'll have to check that out.

nmzj
07-02-2004, 11:30 AM

You shouldn't be able to . . . . I'll have to check that out.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

gearhead313
07-03-2004, 09:36 PM
Passed down from generation, i use a miller 225 arc. usually with 7018ac rod when i can. Someday i'll have enough money for a good mig..............................prolly not :(

NorthernZJ
07-22-2004, 07:36 PM
I have a Lincoln Power Mig 210. I love that damn thing and I do *alot* of welding. We kill the large size bottle of gas about every 2 weeks. I would just deal with the fact that your project is going to take much longer and cost alot more than you have time or money for. Here is my rant.

I would get the larger welder to start. My welder has a voltage tap rather than infinite adjustment. The settings are A,B,C,D,E,F,G with G being the hottest setting. I weld 1/4 in all day long on setting F. I really like to burn a hot weld on stuff and I've found that the penetration you'll get on a colder setting is less than you would expect. Not that a 175 isn't going to work great for your application. I've used one quite a bit but you just can't go wrong getting a big welder. The jump between 175 and 200+ is really big. With a 175 I go alot slower and the damn thing is always on the highest settting for heat. Not that the weld isn't good enough with a 175 you are just pushing it you want to weld alot of 1/4. 3/8 with a 175 will take more than one bead.

At my shop we use the Model 3 bender from trick-tools.com. We have the 1.75 inch die and a 1 inch die. We use the hell out of that tool and it is great! Get a good notcher while you are at it. You'll really want one with bearings rather than bushings. It will last much longer.

Bottom line is you can't go wrong spending money on tools. All the money you save on tools will go to the jeep and get sunk in parts. You'll *never* get what you put into a jeep out of it if you need to sell it. I would rather have the tools and build the jeep after. Your tools are always worth something and if you own tools and know how to use them you've got a skill.