PDA

View Full Version : benders for the backyard

chopshop
06-30-2004, 03:50 AM
ok, I'll start.

I have a jd2 bender on the way from the states, gonna damn near break me, but it's gotta be done! I had to kind of pick one in a rush, my roommate was working down in cali for a bit, so he asked what to bring home. He ordered b4 I researched......friggin bikers.

It seems some of you guys prefer the protools (think thats the one)
Why? something about a hard to read degree wheel, and skinny arms on the jd2. does this effect the accuracy trying to repeat bends?

I'll be using a 1.5 pipe die, for a 1.9"od. just doing some bumpers, and rockers and stuff for me and my friends, not using it in a commercial application. The guy's I'm splitting with got dom tube dies in 1 1/8, and 1 3/8 for doing chopper frames.

did I make a costly mistake, or are these reviews coming from a busy fab shop that needs the extra beefyness to run day in, day out, using large dia. dom?

Alaska ZJ
06-30-2004, 09:31 AM
Nah you didn't make a mistake.

But your gonna hate that degree wheel. Also it is going to be a real PIA for your buddies to repeat exact bends for thier frames as there is no way to set a bending stop like on the Protools.

All in all it is a OK bender. You will be fine.

I thought that when you mentioned backyard bender that you wanted to see how to mount one up on a reciever hitch so that you can use it werever......so here it is.

Portable Tubing Bender (http://www.wheelingadventures.com/Northern4x4/ikonboard.cgi?s=722ede0b04e9a92f44bfb113d10dc530;a ct=ST;f=2;t=120;hl=bend%)

And a picture
http://www.wheelingadventures.com/Northern4x4/iB_html/uploads/post-2-31285-bender1.jpg

http://www.wheelingadventures.com/Northern4x4/iB_html/uploads/post-2-31969-bender2.jpg

Trancezj
06-30-2004, 09:54 AM
was this forum here when I started my bender thread? I don't think it was.. Someone could move my thread in here.

chadjans
06-30-2004, 05:02 PM
Degree wheels are a waste of money. Save your money and just make an "angle-o-meter": http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/bendin_tube/index.html

Chad

chopshop
06-30-2004, 05:07 PM
cool, thanks. I just asked for this in the other thread. heh.

cherokeekid
07-01-2004, 06:18 PM
there is no way to set a bending stop like on the Protools.

I've used a JD2 how does the bending stop work? I've never heard of it.

Alaska ZJ
07-02-2004, 09:32 AM
Well on the jd2 bender I used there is no bending stop.

But on the pro tools that degree wheel is indexes with holes every x amount of degree's and you put the stop into that hole. Then you fine tune it to the exact degree with a set screw.

More along the lines of production work but if your making a really complex contraption like a motorcycle frame you can use that stop to make sure you only bend up to what you need to bend to.

Yould suck to bend a piece of 5 dollar a foot chromoly wrong....lol

cherokeekid
07-02-2004, 01:33 PM
I did some searching after you mentioned the stop, I really like the idea of it after using one withought it.

I'm looking at one of those benders instead of the JD now, I can see that coming in handy, glad I saw this thread.

cashflowdub
07-25-2006, 05:00 PM
will the pro tools bender BEND 2 inch pipe for my bumpers

ATL ZJ
07-25-2006, 06:40 PM
will the pro tools bender BEND 2 inch pipe for my bumpers

Yes. Maybe try going to the manufacturer's websites first so you get the jist of how these work.. But to answer your question, JD squared model 3 and ProTools model 105 benders will bend any size pipe or tubing that you have the correct die set for. 2" is in fact one of the die sets that they offer.

chadjans
07-25-2006, 11:50 PM
The pro tools 105 and 105hd will not handle 2 inch id pipe. The largest od pipe they can take is a 1.9". called 1 1/2 id pipe. The new 105B the brute can take a 2 inch id pipe with a 2.375 od.

Chad

ATL ZJ
07-26-2006, 12:27 AM
The pro tools 105 and 105hd will not handle 2 inch id pipe. The largest od pipe they can take is a 1.9". called 1 1/2 id pipe. The new 105B the brute can take a 2 inch id pipe with a 2.375 od.

Chad

Thanks for the correction, I'm always dealing with tube.. I really was talking about outer diameters there, I know pipe is sized by ID. Personally I wouldn't build a cage out of anything less than DOM myself so I don't get into pipe bending much..

OverkillZJ
07-26-2006, 11:30 AM
Too much talk about pipe.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
07-26-2006, 12:22 PM
I've used a JD2 how does the bending stop work? I've never heard of it.

it uses a really ghetto style copper pin that sticks out from the neck of the bender. As you bend the tube around the die the pin is over the degree mark of the bend. Its a really shitty way of measuring so you really eyeball it more than actually measure.