PDA

View Full Version : Loud lockright...

Trancezj
06-28-2004, 11:00 AM
After I installed them, they were fine.(hp30,8.8) but since I regretfully let a shop install my gears, and ever since, the 8.8 lockright is loud as heck... I mean really loud. I disassembled everything and it looks fine, looks to be working fine. After the breakin period, I drained them and put 1/2 lucas gearoil in and regular gear oil.
Any suggestions?

Bulldog 6
06-28-2004, 12:39 PM
Is it gear noise or bearing noise? Any idea what the contact pattern looks like or how tight they set the ring and pinion?

My buddy and I did gears in a Mustang I used to have and we did not reallize the new pinion bearing was bad. Cage fell off when we took it all back apart. Make sure that all the bearings and races are in good shape. If the bearing is bad then the race is probably bad as well so replace them both. Might even be a problem with the inner race which you cannot see.

Trancezj
06-28-2004, 01:19 PM
It's definetly the lockright making the racket. It was suggested that the thrust washers may not be big enough, making the gap between the lockrights too large. I think the gears were done fairly well. They don't seem to make any noise or anything.

JeepinHank
06-30-2004, 12:22 PM
Can you describe the noise you're getting?

Have you gotten through the gear break in period now?

If so, you may want to check the lockright's gear clearances / backlash of the setup. I was reading through the installation manual of an Aussie locker for my D30 front last night, and its pretty much a clone of the lock rights now that I've actually seen one. The instructions really stressed the importance of making sure everything was still within OEM spec. If you've recently had the gears set up, some of the tolerances may have changed over the break in. It also said that driving with the locker installed and something out of spec can ruin the locker. (I hope that's not the case for you)

We installed a used lockright in the rear of a buddy's XJ (D35) and everything went in smooth. It locked up / engaged beautifully going forward, but it would bind and make the worst banging noise you've ever heard in reverse. It turned out that the locker was slightly worn, and the thrust washers allowed too much play (for lack of a better word) between the locker teeth. To make a long story short - the locker ended up getting trashed in the day or two we left it in there. Luckily he was only out the cost of a rebuild kit and a hardened cross-shaft. Didn't make him feel any better though.

I'll probably be installing the Aussie tonight - that is if I can finish up dinner with my in-laws at a reasonable time. I was planning on posting a write up, but it may be a day or two.

Just sharing my experiences, hope you get it worked out.
Hank

Trancezj
06-30-2004, 12:36 PM
I'm thinking the thrust washer may not be big enough. Problem is, around this area there's not enough people with experience with them. It's not as bad as it was, and now I can't tell if it's just louder than the 30 because it's actually got drive stress on it. Know what I mean? the 30 has no power, but the 8.8 is getting all the torque. And it is still working right.

Nate Cannon
06-30-2004, 01:01 PM
take it out, insert old spider gears and weld.
-Nate 8)

nate
07-03-2004, 06:10 PM
My buddy Keith had a lockright in a D35 he was running under his TJ. I had the axle lying in the garage, after he upgraded, so I put it in 95ZJs D35.

Anyway, when Keith had the lockright, it was always loud. Clunk, clink, pop, etc. When I took it out, I found out why.
What happened is the guy who installed it (Keith bought the TJ already built up) hadn't used the right shims and it was too loose. Actually broke 2 of the 4 pins that hold it together.

Put it in 95ZJs D35 with the right shims and it's nice and quiet.

95 ZJ
07-06-2004, 04:00 PM
Yeah maybe do what Nate said and check those shims cause it is quiet for me except the occasional popping sound after I turn a corner and it locks back up. For the price, I couldn't be happier with it :D

LouisianaZJ
07-19-2004, 03:04 AM
what type of fluid should I use with a lockright in a D30?

is 85w-140 Royal Purple cool?

95 ZJ
07-19-2004, 06:34 AM
I use the same gear oil now as I was using before I had the lock-rite. Someone chime in if there is some special stuff I should be using.

JeepinHank
07-19-2004, 11:05 AM
what type of fluid should I use with a lockright in a D30?

is 85w-140 Royal Purple cool?

85w-140 seems a little heavy for the front. I always use 80w-90 for the front and the 85w-120 in rear applications.

Directions call for the same fluid OEM specs.

GetoZJ
07-19-2004, 12:38 PM
My guess is the lockrite is on its way out. They're not known for being the strongest, but hey, just send it back, and get a new one.

Or go for what nate said, spiders, weld, gett'r done.

LouisianaZJ
07-23-2004, 05:54 PM
does everyone elses lockright click when turning tight in 2wd

JeepinHank
07-26-2004, 09:32 AM
does everyone elses lockright click when turning tight in 2wd

My front aussie clicks...

Trancezj
07-27-2004, 01:18 PM
does everyone elses lockright click when turning tight in 2wdIt's suppose to.