PDA

View Full Version : Alaska Extreme 4x4 World Tour

Alaska ZJ
06-28-2004, 10:05 AM
Alright I have a handful of buddies and friends that are coming down in 05. YES I said 05. Will be the last weekend in September until the 3rd weekend of October.

We will be in Moab for 6 days
Johnson Valley for 2 days
Rubicon for 4 days
Bend Oregon for 2-3 days

Reason I am posting this is that I would like to get a person/persons to wheel with us at each spot if they want. We would like to attend Club meetings if your club is having one and possibly hit a Rockcrawling event (should be one IN JV about that time I think)

Here is a link to my "local BB" so you can all chime in if you want or atleast read about who is going.

http://www.wheelingadventures.com/Northern4x4/ikonboard.cgi?s=fd85a25cc5b5aee86a4551b024ff11dc;a ct=ST;f=12;t=502

OverkillZJ
06-28-2004, 12:02 PM
That's a hell of a trip. You guys are starting on the wrong end of the country for me ;)

Troy
06-28-2004, 05:05 PM
Alaska... I am planning a trip out to Moab for sometime in September too. MoabZJ (cody) has offered to show me around. If you're positive on your dates I'll try to plan to be out there at the same time.

Alaska ZJ
06-28-2004, 09:12 PM
Well my friends have all bought Trailers/RVs/Tow rigs and couple are taking off time from thier very lucrative careers....

We are pretty damn sure. We want to take in a Rockcrawling event for sure. So the dates will fluctuate a few days post or aft depending on when the schedule puts the comps at what place.....

BigDaveZJ
06-28-2004, 09:13 PM
Hey Troy, Brentt's talking about 2005!!

nmzj
06-28-2004, 09:16 PM
I'm in for Moab...I should have something by then... :lol:

Jason

Troy
06-28-2004, 09:31 PM
Hey Troy, Brentt's talking about 2005!!

Yep 2005 for me too. By then I should have my hydraulic steering in place (have the parts now but no time), beadlocks installed (soon to be ordered), and maybe some shaft upgrades for the rc44.

Alaska ZJ
06-28-2004, 11:50 PM

Jason

That statement is worthless without pictures....lol

No whippin cookies for you. I hopefully pulled you off your lid in a flat parking lot for the last time.....

nmzj
06-29-2004, 12:21 AM

Jason

That statement is worthless without pictures....lol

No whippin cookies for you. I hopefully pulled you off your lid in a flat parking lot for the last time.....

Key words there are "flat parking lot."

LOL

Cody
07-15-2004, 05:06 PM
I can break you guys into Moab. I won't do fins n'things or poisen spider though so if you want to do that crap find a different guide.

Cody

You guys will spring for my lodging right ;)

Alaska ZJ
07-15-2004, 05:19 PM
Cody your more than welcome to join us. we don't really need a guide in Moab though. It is so well marked. As for lodging.....We will all have rv's of some sort I am sure you can find a bed.

We don't have much intention of doing fins and things or that type.

If we do poison spyder it will be from the other side whatever it's name is.....Just so my buds can do the photo op thing at the golden crack. But I doubt it.

We want to do Upper Helldorado for sure and Pritchett. We will be in Moab for 6 days total, You can show us the tougher stuff and we can figure out the sight seeing shit.

Cody
07-15-2004, 05:28 PM
Ahh, not all the trails are marked ;)

Many of them are easy to find, but therein lies the problem for the BLM. Lots of people can find the trails, but without experience with the area, they are unfamiliar with what bypasses and optional lines are off limits and which spur roads can and can't be used. It causes major problems.

Let me know when you guys get some dates down and I'll make it a point to be there. Hopefully my rig will still be in 1 piece or I'll have some sort of buggy by then to play with.

Cody

Alaska ZJ
07-17-2004, 12:06 PM
I'll let you know.

We will be there over a weekend most likely so that should help you out. We will just run the Harder trails with you as a guide and we will do the easy/senic ones without you during the week.

3 of the guys this is thier first time in Moab or even wheeling outside of AK. They are going to want to see all the big name obstacles and get in some scenery. Kinda like I did my first trip down. But the fact that we are there for 6 days really opens up the possibilities. In your opinion what is the best trail to take them on first? Maybe Goldbar rim?

They are all good drivers and have vehicles that are well built. 36 inch tire will be the smallest tire in the group and there will be a Manche buggy on 39 Iroks and a Chevy buggy on 45" terra tire hopefully. Chuggy should be sporting 1 ton gear and 40 something or other.

Is Goldbar a good break in trail to get them used to all the rocks and shit? I know that there are some killer views.

Pics of the rigs attending.

Topgun running little sluice.
http://www.bigmacro.com/albums/album09/bravosluice1.sized.jpg

Fat Bastard in his fullwidth, EFI CJ7 (14 bolt and D44 front)
http://www.bigmacro.com/albums/album10/IMG_0128.sized.jpg

Little Giant in his YJ.

http://www.wheelingadventures.com/Northern4x4/iB_html/uploads/post-10-07726-amemscott.jpg

Not sure what to classify Dan's thing as. Started out as a Dodge one ton. It is narrowed like 20 some inches.....lol Those are 40 inch boggers.
http://www.wheelingadventures.com/Northern4x4/iB_html/uploads/post-10-08211-amemcockpitditch.jpg

Kinda funny to watch him drive out of either window.....lol
http://www.wheelingadventures.com/Northern4x4/iB_html/uploads/post-10-10551-amemcockpitinahole.jpg

Frosty in his Manche buggy. 39 Iroks. Blah blah blah (damn Marines anyway)
http://www.wheelingadventures.com/Northern4x4/iB_html/uploads/post-10-12749-amemstuffit.jpg

Badco and his fullwidth CJ7. Frame off restoration. EFI. One of the Cleanest CJ's I have ever seen.
http://www.wheelingadventures.com/Northern4x4/iB_html/uploads/post-10-15001-amemday2kurtwinching.jpg

Alaska ZJ
07-17-2004, 12:14 PM
http://www.wheelingadventures.com/Northern4x4/iB_html/uploads/post-10-15452-amemday2onme.jpg

See you on the trail.....This is what your gonna have to deal with.

Fat Bastard.......

http://www.wheelingadventures.com/Northern4x4/iB_html/uploads/post-10-28108-amembeauface.jpg

Frosty and the Great White HailBUTT....

http://www.wheelingadventures.com/Northern4x4/iB_html/uploads/post-10-60538-frosty1.jpg

Cody
07-17-2004, 09:29 PM
Yeah, GBR is a good beginners trail to break people in on, as is Poisen Spider and Metal Masher. MM is kinda hard to find if you don't know exactly where you are going.

As far as running all the big name obstacles, we can run Rusty Nail into Golden Spike which bypasses the boring 8 ours of the Spike and heads straight to the Golden Crack. Then you can do the crack, Double Wammy, Golden Stairs, and Body Snatcher on the way out of Golden Spike.

Pritchett is also a cool trail, you can run it to the rockpile and then turn around and come back--that eliminates the 20 mile freeway ride back to town (but also eliminates the high speed baja track). Yellow Hill, The Rock Pile, and Rocker Knocker are all on Pritchet.

Hells Revenge is kinda cool--you can do Escalator, Mickeys Tub, the BIG tub (whatever it's called--it's a huge bitch), Tip over Challenge, and Hells Gate. with the exception of the big tub, most of that stuff is pretty mild but it's all slickrock so it's kinda cool trail to see. You can also do dump bump, potato salad, and Lions Back if you want while youre back there.

For the rigs that want some challenge, we can run Upper Helldorado, and the shorter rigs (that dodge wouldn't make it) we could run Coyote--although I may not be the best to lead through that since I still can't explain how I made it without breaking something.

If we have some buggyish folks, we can do Upper Proving Grounds too.

Well, it's a long ways out. Let me know when the dates are in stone and assuming my rig still works, I'm down. Otherwise I can come down, drink beer, and point where to turn.

Cody

Chris_L
07-17-2004, 09:46 PM
Ok Brentt, I've been trying to read most of this post but cant get my eyes of your damn avatar {both of them} damn.

If you need a guide to run Johnson Valley I would be more than honored to show you guys around. I can get the local socal JV group out there, and have some serious fun. I know I dont have to say this, but as you know the rigs gotta be set up for not breaking major stuff. Hard lockers, and minimum tire size I would suggest is 35's. My 37's are starting to seem small with all the guys I see on 40's out there now. Just give me a heads up when you get closer to planning your trip. I'll try and get Bassett to come down also. Be cool to finally meet you guys.
Chris L

PS Dude you have to send me the full size version of that avatar :lol:

Chris_L
07-18-2004, 12:22 AM
Brent--
You said your want two day in JV and 4 for the rubicon. I would switch it to 3 days in JV and 3 for the rubicon. Rubi can be done in 2-2.5 days. Johnson Valley has some of the hardest trails in the country and would be better spent with the extra day there. We could warm up on sledge hammer on the first day, then run outer limits on the second day and aftershock, then run Jack Hammer on day 3. After that the rubicon will seem like a fire road.
Check out trails pics here.
http://www.fototime.com/inv/37FE5474EBF73B4

Alaska ZJ
07-18-2004, 09:32 AM
Chris-L, we are all going to have RV's of one sort or another. Is there a place that is within a short distance where we can stay?

We don't want to be anywhere near a "party" crowd. Just isn't our style. We are Alaskans and sorta recluse.

Chris_L
07-18-2004, 10:41 AM
We have a great camp spot near the drylake bed far, far away from the partiers. It's where we always stay and set up a base camp. All the trails are with in 2-5 miles from camp. In JV you wanna travel very light, so that's why we leave most heavy extra's at camp. Like spare tires etc. We just briing safty seal kits and spare axles etc. Camp is always just a few miles away.

Boone rd is the way in to the lake bed and you can drive RV's bigger than busses to the place we camp.

Cody
07-18-2004, 06:01 PM
So are you hitting Moab first? Hell, maybe I'll tag along and hit JV and the Con with you dudes.

I'll just go ahead and invite myself ;)

Cody

Alaska ZJ
07-18-2004, 09:02 PM
Yep Moab for 6 days, JV for 2-3 days, Rubicon for 4 days and then Bend Oregon for 2-4 days.

If the rubicon is still shut down like it is right now, we will only spend 2 days there. Run in and out in one long fuckin day.

You can tag along with us I don't have a problem with that. I will pass it around the group and make sure nobody has any screaming objections (shouldn't be).

We will all have RV's of some sort and all our Jeeps will be on trailers. You could probably grab a bed with a guy who is bringing a fairly good sized motorhome.

Oh and bring your beer drinkin shoes, there are three proffesional drinkers in the group and then 4 of us who will just wait till your drunk and toss you into the fire......(we don't drink).

cbassett
07-19-2004, 01:30 AM
As Chris suggested, you should allow for 3 days in JV and 3 in Rubicon (if you only have 6 days between the two).

Rubicon is not "closed down". You cannot enter/camp on the slabs at the Little Sluice or Spider Lake. That is the extent of the closure.

Alaska ZJ
07-19-2004, 09:43 AM
Can you still swim in Spyder? Where else would a guy camp while on the trail? We are making shit kits in prep for the trip...lol.

You want to run the Rubi with us?

GetoZJ
07-19-2004, 12:47 PM
I don't think you can swim there as of right now.

Cody
07-19-2004, 02:16 PM
I think that would be a fun trip. I probably would bow out of Bend and just take i 80 back home, but who knows.

As for the beer drinking shoes, that won't be a problem. I'm by no means a professional, but I've been known to toss down a 30 pack in a given day/eve.

Cody

Alaska ZJ
07-19-2004, 05:14 PM
I think that would be a fun trip. I probably would bow out of Bend and just take i 80 back home, but who knows.

As for the beer drinking shoes, that won't be a problem. I'm by no means a professional, but I've been known to toss down a 30 pack in a given day/eve.

Cody

If you can drink 30 of the beers we will be hauling around you need to check into a rehap or hospital. This ain't gonna be your Utah water boy, this is real beer. 4-6 and I am on my ass (wich was about a year ago, but I have a super low tolerance) In your state it would qualify for barley wine I think...........10+%

cbassett
07-19-2004, 08:19 PM
Can you still swim in Spyder? Where else would a guy camp while on the trail? We are making shit kits in prep for the trip...lol.
You want to run the Rubi with us?

Spider Lake, and the surrounding area, is closed to all access for the 120 day period. Little Sluice, and the rest of the trail is open.
http://img18.exs.cx/img18/8346/Rubiconclosure.jpg

You can camp anywhere you wish along the trail, provided it's not ON the trail or in a so-posted restricted area (Spider area, Pleasant Meadow, etc.). The only caveat to that is at Rubicon Springs you pay a camping fee.

Buck Island Lake is a better lake for swimming anyway, IMHO. The only bummer about it is it doesn't give you the same that Spider does for a winchline slide.

This year as an exception, I'm out there several times per year. Provided my schedule allows I'll schedule a trip to meet you guys.

Chris_L
07-19-2004, 10:54 PM
If I can work in out in my plans {which should not be a problem} I may follow you up and run the rubi with you also.

Cody
07-20-2004, 12:29 AM
If you can drink 30 of the beers we will be hauling around you need to check into a rehap or hospital. This ain't gonna be your Utah water boy, this is real beer. 4-6 and I am on my ass (wich was about a year ago, but I have a super low tolerance) In your state it would qualify for barley wine I think...........10+%

Yeah, it's probably a little bit stronger. I drink a lot of micro brews which are 4% or higher.

However, my record for beer consumption was 41 in a 12 hour period, and those were Arizona beers. It was mostly Bud Light which may have a lower percentage than they list, and it was in my drinking prime, and it was spring break, and I was really shit-canned all day. I don't think I've eclipsed the 20 mark this year so I've slowed down. Just can't handle the mornings anymore.

Cody

GetoZJ
07-20-2004, 12:34 AM
I'm in for this, especially for the drinking comp that just got formed. I'm game.

Alaska ZJ
07-20-2004, 11:22 AM
I'm in for this, especially for the drinking comp that just got formed. I'm game.

To bad your not invited. lol.

To clear things up this is not a GS or anything like that. It is my Club in Alaska coming to the lower 48 to wheel the big name trails. We are more than welcoming to all but I must say that we are going to accomplish this trip come hell or high water. We will probably not wait for you if your late without a reason and our time and money is all being funneled into this trip. I am sure you all understand that.

As for the drinking game. That won't happen. It was just a little smack talk to Cody. We are not all that rowdy of a crowd. We will all have our families with us. Think Campfire, a few beers, lots of shit talking. Anything more than that and someone will come wake me up to regulate. For the few who have been on that end of my Irishness it sucks, for both of us.

Chris_L
07-20-2004, 12:58 PM
[ Think Campfire, a few beers, lots of shit talking. Anything more than that and someone will come wake me up to regulate. For the few who have been on that end of my Irishness it sucks, for both of us.

Brent--
This is exactly how are JV trips go. Very Mellow, good food around the fire, good friends and lots of tall tale talking. 80% of our JV group does not even drink period. I do a little. We camp far from the partiers and dont want to put up with the noise or stupidity. Check out our local board if you like.
http://www.jeepbbs.net/forums/index.php?s=3bdf67ac8f513744b99d64752c77a624

My friend Blaine has some great JV pics here:
http://www.justaddrocks.com/

JohnBoulderCO
07-20-2004, 01:31 PM
[/quote]For the few who have been on that end of my Irishness it sucks, for both of us.[/quote]

LOL, that's a good one. You saying you aren't a happy drunk?

Being 1/2 Irish and 1/2 German myself, I find a have a genetic defect.
I have to drink or I will die. :D

nate
07-21-2004, 04:34 AM
Should be a good time.

I wish I was more setup with a bigger Jeep, tow rig/camper and a trailer, but that won't happen.

Hmm.... maybe I can run 5 Star while Kurt and Dan are gone? :D

95 ZJ
07-21-2004, 09:37 AM
Nate running 5 Star is a scary thought, some ricer would come in wanting a bumble bee muffler and you'd weld him a coffee can to his tail pipe.

I would kill to have a nice enough set up and the cash flow to join the trip down there, I bet there will be memories and laughs that last for years with the set of misfits that are currently attending.

NorthernZJ
07-22-2004, 08:17 PM
Damn, that dodge is just ugly. Lots of hard work for such a strange looking thing! I would love to guide ya'll through the rubicon. Not that you would really need it or anything. If it was me I would camp around the Wentworth Springs enterance and skip the loon lake side. Depending on the days there can be alot of people around the loon lake side. Plus I really like the Wentworth springs side is is a fun part of the trail.

Alaska ZJ
07-22-2004, 08:35 PM
Yah ain't Dan's thing pretty crazy looking. I like it.

He is in the process of lowering the body 6-8 more inches. He has to go full hydro steering because right now the steering shaft almost hits the distributor.....lol

Dan is a great guy. Big ol teddy bear.

We will look into your suggestions about camping. Thanks.

GetoZJ
07-22-2004, 11:25 PM

To bad your not invited. lol.

To clear things up this is not a GS or anything like that. It is my Club in Alaska coming to the lower 48 to wheel the big name trails. We are more than welcoming to all but I must say that we are going to accomplish this trip come hell or high water. We will probably not wait for you if your late without a reason and our time and money is all being funneled into this trip. I am sure you all understand that.

As for the drinking game. That won't happen. It was just a little smack talk to Cody. We are not all that rowdy of a crowd. We will all have our families with us. Think Campfire, a few beers, lots of shit talking. Anything more than that and someone will come wake me up to regulate. For the few who have been on that end of my Irishness it sucks, for both of us.

Sounds like alot of bullshit to cover up the fact you can't hang with the "little" guys, fawker :mrgreen:

Troy
07-26-2004, 12:11 PM
I'm in the process of beginning to solidify the plans for Moab 2005. Right now it's just me and my father-in-law (no 4 wheel drive). At the very most I may have 2 more coming with me (the red TJ on rockwells and the green YJ on rockwells in my pictures from Tellico).

AlaskaZJ, what dates will you be in Moab and who is trail leading for you? Would you mind if I came along with your group or is it getting too big?
Cody and/or others available to show some east-coasters around... I'd like to go ahead and start making some plans so let me know if/when you're available so I can request the time off and invite the other 2 club members with solid dates.

Cody
07-26-2004, 12:36 PM
You tell me man.
I don't have to worry about getting time off until next year and beisides, moab is like 3 hours from my house so it's not like it takes a week off for me to head down there.

I'm thinking that I may try and tag along with the group to JV and the Con, assuming they don't mind. I don't want to be an uninvited guest.

Cody

Alaska ZJ
07-26-2004, 10:16 PM
We will be there the last week of September to the first week of October.

We are kinda doing it late because me friends that are in AK and are not climatized will surely die in the heat. I had a bit of a rough time in Moab with the heat and it was Unuasually cool during GSW I guess.

You are more than welcome to ride along with us. I will defer to Codie's Judgement on the appropriate group size, but there is always more than one trail to be had.

Cody you are welcome to go JV and Rubi. The guys are leaving it up to me to vouch for you. So that means if they don't like you....We will both get a dirty sanchez while we sleep most likely.

Troy
07-26-2004, 10:28 PM
Thanks Cody and Alaska. I'm headed up to Paragon this weekend with the red TJ and green YJ and will discuss the trip with them. I'll let you all know more a later date.

Cody
07-27-2004, 04:03 PM
Assuming I have a rig and have no other major scheduling conflicts, I'm going to plan on the con and JV with ya'll.

As for Moab, I'm not super worried about this group. I doubt there will need to be much baby-sitting on the trails so we ought to move pretty fast.

Cody

Nordic1
08-28-2004, 02:00 AM
I'm spending most of next summer on the Rubicon... Chase "the winer" http://www.nagca.com/forum/images/smiles/1laugh.gifis down for the Con if you guys head out this way.

Alaska ZJ
09-08-2004, 09:25 AM
http://www.akfabshop.com/movies/fatbastard.wmv

These are the bastards you are volunteering to associate with. You know your in for a treat when all you hear is laughter when Fat Bastard about sends himself into orbit.

Troy
11-03-2004, 06:14 PM
OK Alaska and Cody. I've requested September 17th through October 9th off from work and my father in law has shut down his dental practice for that time too. We'll be heading out and going to Moab FIRST. I anticipate that we'll spend about 3-4 days at Moab and then head down to AZ and possibly NM or CO to wheel and fish.

That puts us in Moab around the 20-22 of Sept. Alaska, according to your schedule it doesn't look like you'll be there until the last week in Sept. Will you be arriving there then or is that when you leave your place?

Cody, is that time OK for you or should I try to re-arrange our trip schedule?

Cody
11-03-2004, 07:30 PM
well, It depends on what Alaska has goin on. I was planning on tagging along with their group after moab, assuming Moab is the first leg of their tour. If your trip is a few weeks after that trip, I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to get a couple days off to head to moab.

My best advice is plan the trip for what times work best for you, and I'll do my best to be there. If it could hit the same time as Alaska's trip, that would be best so that way I don't have to ask for a ton of time off really close together.

Worst case, there are always SLC locals down there on the weekends. I'm sure I could find you a good trail guide if I was unable to make it. I hope you understand that it's just difficult to set things into stone this far in advance as I should start trying to be responsible and find a real job sometime in the near future.

Cody

Troy
11-03-2004, 07:59 PM
That's cool Cody. I figured that if you weren't available we should be able to find some locals.

We'll set things straight when the time gets closer - besides, I'm on a big project right now at work that may not end before then anyway. But there's only a small chance that it won't be done by then.