PDA

View Full Version : Flip up rear windows

Ted_Z
01-25-2019, 12:30 PM
You have to check out these videos of a guy modifying his WJ's rear quarter windows to flip up for side access.

https://youtu.be/6LzcufmsFEc
https://youtu.be/eV8v4_6hfAk

jsteves
01-25-2019, 06:36 PM
That is pretty bad ass! I am fairly interested! I'm really curious to hear what the pricing will be on the tempered glass panels.

Yjsaabman717
01-26-2019, 03:14 PM
That's a cool mod! I want to look into what it will rake to update my ZJ to the hatch with the glass that opens separately. My BMW wagon has that feature and I really like it and use it a lot. I just wonder how useful (or not) it will become on the Jeep after it gets more lift.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

jsteves
01-26-2019, 10:20 PM
That's a cool mod! I want to look into what it will rake to update my ZJ to the hatch with the glass that opens separately. My BMW wagon has that feature and I really like it and use it a lot. I just wonder how useful (or not) it will become on the Jeep after it gets more lift.

That’s a simple as going to the junkyard and buying the tailgate from one that has the opening glass. They all did from 96-98.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yjsaabman717
01-27-2019, 10:22 AM
That’s a simple as going to the junkyard and buying the tailgate from one that has the opening glass. They all did from 96-98.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkBolting it on is basic, but they got into a bunch of wiring changes between the early one and the late ones. (95 to 96 change over.) I've noticed that when junkyard shopping for things like the steering wheel. It still won't be anything major to wire up, but it's not that high on my priority list at the moment.

Kraqa
01-30-2019, 01:49 AM
i wanted to do that on the white ZJ. but i figured its more work than its worth. seeing those ones i'm tempted to try it. thats awesome.

i would hope the factory glass is strong enough to use. I don't really like the metal panels.

Wil Badger
01-30-2019, 04:09 AM
i would hope the factory glass is strong enough to use. I don't really like the metal panels.

No way of using the factory glass. You would have to make new panels. There is no way to cut/drill glass once it is tempered. The only way you could use the factory glass would be to make brackets that the glass could be bonded to using epoxy.

Ted_Z
02-04-2019, 05:54 PM
He just posted the next video...

https://youtu.be/nmYqUNv6-5Q

Chuchmouse
02-05-2019, 03:57 PM

Actually, not all ‘96 have the flip glass. Jim’s ZJ is a ‘96 and he does not have the flip glass, only access to the cargo area by opening the tailgate.

I do have to say that I love having the option to open just the glass or the whole tailgate on my ‘04 WJ

BigDaveZJ
02-05-2019, 05:10 PM
The tailgate I'm using on my ZJ is from a 96 and doesn't have the flip up either. Can't comment on the wiring as I had to re-wire all of it anyways since it wasn't exactly a "direct replacement" of my old tailgate.

K2
02-05-2019, 09:42 PM
I heard it was an option in early 96 and standard later. As for the wiring, the 95 has 2 sets of wires entering the hatch on each side and in 96 they used one. If I remember right.

Kraqa
03-05-2019, 03:41 PM
No way of using the factory glass. You would have to make new panels. There is no way to cut/drill glass once it is tempered. The only way you could use the factory glass would be to make brackets that the glass could be bonded to using epoxy.

What about waterjet?

KevinF
03-05-2019, 06:20 PM
To me, the way to do this effectively, would be to create a metal box with a flange that follows the shape of the window (2-plane convex), bolt and seal it into place, and make a flip-down lid on it like a truck tool box on a utility bed, and that way you have a table/shelf/workbench, rather than a headache.

Don't get me wrong...I like what the guy did...but it's a TON of labor hours to get to the point where he's at...and now if it leaks water at all, it leaks into your cargo area and rusts our your floor over time...and it's also not sealed to the elements, where you could leave it open while camping and not get snow/dirt/rain inside the cargo area.

To each their own, I suppose...but it's a cool idea, to be certain.

Wil Badger
03-16-2019, 06:26 AM
What about waterjet?

Nope,I work with tempered glass all day. Tempered glass is done once it's been refired to temper it.