PDA

View Full Version : New OTK steering - death wobble

Brad S
09-28-2013, 04:41 PM
I have replaced/rebuilt just about everything steering related. For the most part, it seems to work fairly well, but I still get the occasional death wobble at 40-50 mph.

Here's the setup:
Lift ~ 3.5"
Waggy 4 bolt steering box (new)
JCR 1 ton OTK steering setup (new)
JKS WJ trackbar - hacked and tapped
New Super Hard Rockwell Durometer Bushings for trackbar
Upper trackbar bracket - rebuilt
Lower OTA bracket - rebuilt

I set toe to 1/8" after finishing steering install. Driving down the road it seems to shimmy and wander just a little - not too bad. Here's a picture of the steering - what am I missing? Controls arms are still stock... unfortunately.

https://r9zqyg.sn2.livefilestore.com/y2paF0pNl-D4_eeskpnZ43zlC162--oDIckTEKoAHJ18POCuvBvRqt14W3-nwDt-zWeIAUrmp8oqpueoFDSaFoqduHOwiPb-YRjyGI-OI0KsnmC1NRFN_zy216SvzzSnaHL/zj_steering-finished.jpg?psid=1

https://r9zqyg.sn2.livefilestore.com/y2pF4AsgI84ChNZjLFHKheFi1Dxvy35R1bWI9mqMMJrvZPPjPB S6UCa7XsTNs9DTzbqyga8ZO0_oUZkOFxWqYRFJ7-CV4JUGPQaZjGSs11zyR_BTb3QkCU6QAqpHuA2vj9J/zj_steering-finished-angles.jpg?psid=1

BigDaveZJ
09-28-2013, 04:45 PM
The wander can be caster related, which is only really fixed with new LCA's. The shimmy could be from a wheel not balanced properly.

Wil Badger
09-28-2013, 06:11 PM
I see you still have the factory control arms. Bad bushing in the arms can also causes DW. It's not just the steering that can cause DW. Control arms, wheel bearings, ball joints, etc.

Brad S
09-28-2013, 06:55 PM
I see you still have the factory control arms. Bad bushing in the arms can also causes DW. It's not just the steering that can cause DW. Control arms, wheel bearings, ball joints, etc.

I guess that makes sense. Castor could change if bushings are bad. I've got the materials for front long arms - just need to order my joints. I've been putting it off because of funding.

egg
09-29-2013, 03:26 PM
I agree on the control arms, my DW didn't completely go away until I got some new control arms