PDA

View Full Version : 8.1 liter 3/4 ton chevy avalanche-to buy or not to buy

redneckrollercoaster
11-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Downsides:
I'd have to sell my 5.2 zj dd to buy it.
It would then be my dd, obvious mileage loss.
Wanted to do mild build on the 5.2 for my 12 y/o when he turns 16, but by then there'd be 230k on the odo anyhow
I really like my 5.2 damnit, good in snow, fun on road.
I've never worked on an 8.1, or heard much about it.
3/4 ton truck-sized vehicle with about the same cargo area as a grand with seats folded down.
It's got almost 500 cubes!
It'll cost me 6k

Upsides:
Can trailer the play jeep instead of driving it everywhere with its plump ass and tired old 4.0 and 5:13's and no sway bars, just begging for tickets
It's got almost 500 cubes!
Always liked the look of the avvies
It's almost like a pickup. Kinda.
Still has 4 doors.
Has way under the 197k miles my present dd does.
It's a 4wd 3/4 ton
I can always buy a little shitbox to dd i guess
It's only 6k
I am the seller's son-in-law, guess that works both ways as well...

I guess I'm fishing for opinions here. Has anyone had experience towing with an 8.1 with the auto trans; what's its longevity; is it badass like the 5.3 or is it kind of a turd like some of the 454's from the 90's? May have a buyer for the 97 5.2, just want outside opinions before I pull the trigger and commit to buying a thirsty oddball towrig.

rstrucks
11-24-2012, 02:04 AM
Step 1 - buy Avalanche

Step 2 - buy stock in Exxon/Mobil

redneckrollercoaster
11-24-2012, 04:02 PM
Think I'll go for it. A 12000lb tow-rated 320-330hp, 440-450lb/ft 8-14mpg beast for 6 grand oughtta tow a 6000lb or thereabouts(I really don't have any clue) Jeep just fine, but as was mentioned above it's gonna be around $150 to fill the tank so I'll have to buy and insure another dd to go with it. I put around 30 miles a day on my dd just to work and back. That puts me at over $300/month in fuel if I dd the av...versus about $200/mo in the 5.2 zj. Decisions, decisions...

IndyZJ
11-24-2012, 05:24 PM
You don't want to DD a big block truck if mileage is any kind of concern. It will not get consistent double digit mpgs unless you spend your drive idling downhill both ways.

And it's fawkin ugly.

Cheapest route would be to make the rig more driveable. There's no reason a full-bodied rig on 35" radials can't go down the road comfortably.

redneckrollercoaster
11-24-2012, 07:26 PM
You don't want to DD a big block truck if mileage is any kind of concern. It will not get consistent double digit mpgs unless you spend your drive idling downhill both ways.

And it's fawkin ugly.

Cheapest route would be to make the rig more driveable. There's no reason a full-bodied rig on 35" radials can't go down the road comfortably.

Yeah I have overdrive, the jeep drives fine- just takes a bit more concentration. With auto lockers I don't dare drive it on ice though. As far as towing it, mainly for longer trips. Almost barrel-rolled it last spring on tater salad in Moab. Whole time I was thinking damnit, how am I gonna get home. Hills everywhere where I'm at and even with 513's it creeps when I get to them. 4.0 is tired, guess it's time for a 4.6...and antirocks. Valid point taken, though, thanks!

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
12-05-2012, 01:54 AM
You should definitely buy the Avalanche so you have to sell the ZJ.... to me ;)

redneckrollercoaster
12-07-2013, 10:24 PM
Lol. He offered it to me for $4000...I didn't bite fast enough, now it's gone. Kinda regret it but oh well. On the bright side that 8.1's low mpg won't be forcing me to sell red in the near future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)