PDA

View Full Version : Coal Creek OHV name change

TN_WJ
10-02-2012, 09:52 PM
FWIW....Coal Creek OHV is now Windrock Park Trails. Why? You're guess is as good as mine

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h434/braabe1/09FABBE8-F9C7-406F-B78C-7B92D33553E4-2600-000002740AD90219.jpg

ATL ZJ
10-02-2012, 10:06 PM
I have always called it windrock anyway. The multiple names was a bit confusing to newcomers and as we know these days it's all about "branding" anyway...

TN_WJ
10-02-2012, 10:39 PM
Yeah it's always been windrock to everyone I ride with as well. It's was one of the trail supervisors who announced this on a local board so I'll post up more info as it develops

TN_WJ
10-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Response from Ron (trail supervisor) about the reason for the change...

It has always been Windrock for years.

Many years ago in 1993 The Windrock ATV Club formed and went into an agreement with Coal Creek to do all the Trail Maintenance, Sell Permits, Trail Patrol Enforcement, Permit Checking and basically built alot of the trails with all Volunteer Workers. There was no money paid to the club by Coal Creek but instead the Club ran the Jams and got a portion of permit sales. The Club had over 300 paid members.

Then TDEC came in and put alot of demands on the riding area 5-6 years ago. The Club with it's volunteer work force could not handle the demands. So the Club backed away from it and Coal Creek started doing it. That is about the time Coal Creek decided to build the Campground and started their own Trail Maintenance. This was about 5-6 years ago. This is when they started calling it Coal Creek OHV Area. Alot of the old timers still refer to it as Windrock. So now they have hired a marketing firm and they told Coal Creek it had an identity problem with the campground and the trails being called two separate names. So now we have Windrock Park Trails and Windrock Park Campground.

ATL ZJ
10-03-2012, 12:10 AM
So I was right it was all the marketeers. Are there any other changes rule or cost wise? And what is TDEC?

TN_WJ
10-03-2012, 12:27 AM
So I was right it was all the marketeers. Are there any other changes rule or cost wise? And what is TDEC?
Yeah good call

No rule or cost changes are planned, not anytime soon at least.

And TDEC =Tennessee dept of environment and conservation.

zjeepin
10-03-2012, 03:08 PM
damn it'd be nicer if they didn't charge so much to ride there... I'm less than 2 hours away but hate to pay their price to ride there more often..

SirFuego
10-03-2012, 04:13 PM
damn it'd be nicer if they didn't charge so much to ride there... I'm less than 2 hours away but hate to pay their price to ride there more often..
I would love to pay $88/year for 24/7 access to something like Windrock two hours from me.

ATL ZJ
10-03-2012, 04:33 PM
The yearly pass has always been hard to justify because there are only a few hard trails and they are very similar.

Because of that I have never been more than once in a year. In a 4 hour radius there are parks with more variety. For locals I can see the appeal of the pass of course.

zjeepin
10-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Agreeing with what cam said.. only a handful of trails that interest us on top of the place being fairly difficult to navigate without alot of experience.. and unless im mistaken the passes are per person..not per rig so if you have a passenger almost $200/yr.. no thanks. I can ride at harlan for a year for $35 and passengers are free for an extra hour drive or I can be at several other parks within 4 hours..

TN_WJ
10-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Yeah Windrock gets a lot smaller once your in the 40"+ tire range. I can only think of 5 or 6 trails that a rig of that level would have fun on. Add in the distance you guys have to travel and I wouldn't be making the trip too often either. But for being 25 min away and only on 35s the $88/year is a steal.

OverkillZJ
10-04-2012, 12:21 AM
At 88 a year, regardless of name, or marketing musketeers, if it was closer to me I'd have kept the buggy or the sammy... Seriously. Be happy for a place to wheel. I spend $88 just driving the WJ to some mediocre trails.