PDA

View Full Version : Simple, Waterproof (or resistant if need be) Stereo

JordanA
07-11-2012, 11:43 PM
Any ideas? I have a factory AM radio with single speaker in the Scout, and that's all great and dandy, but I want some tunes! I am not looking for a full blown stereo (head unit, amp, speakers, blah blah), but rather leaning towards an amplifier with AUX input and some speakers. A quick ebay search brings up a few options, but to be honest, all of the numbers mean absolutely crap to me.

Any suggestions on power output/speakers? I'm looking at installing 2-4 speakers (the Scout is set up as a pick-up), and want something I can plug my ipod into and get decent sound. I don't need to be blasting the eardrums off of the guy at the stoplight next to me, but I want to hear clear music at a decent decibel level I can hear on the highway. I don't need FM, so no head unit. I'm also hoping to do this with some sort of budget... $200-300.00 TOPS for the entire system.

Lastly, waterproof is a must, since the Scout spends more time topless than she does with a roof.

Ds4x4
07-12-2012, 12:43 AM
check out a boating store. I have water proof speakers but a standard head unit in my Sea Ray SunRunner
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=750679&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50157&subdeptNum=50197&classNum=50202#.T_5VfZH4Lpo

Jeep Whore
07-12-2012, 01:34 AM
well if you dont want to ruin your ipod out on the trail look for a stereo with a usb port on the front. then put music on a usb stick (4gb) and load about 350 songs onto it (thats the max mine will read) and then its a cheaper worry free way to listen to your music.

i know you won't have the same control as you would with hooking up your ipod.

since you want a waterproof one the only option for a usb port is a cable coming out of the back of it going to the glove box or center console.

JordanA
07-14-2012, 12:40 AM
check out a boating store. I have water proof speakers but a standard head unit in my Sea Ray SunRunner
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=750679&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50157&subdeptNum=50197&classNum=50202#.T_5VfZH4Lpo

How is the sound quality with that set-up? I'm not looking for pounding bass, but I'd like to hear it clearly at volume.

JordanA
07-14-2012, 12:41 AM
well if you dont want to ruin your ipod out on the trail look for a stereo with a usb port on the front. then put music on a usb stick (4gb) and load about 350 songs onto it (thats the max mine will read) and then its a cheaper worry free way to listen to your music.

i know you won't have the same control as you would with hooking up your ipod.

since you want a waterproof one the only option for a usb port is a cable coming out of the back of it going to the glove box or center console.

I'm not worried about ruining my Ipod. I have some waterproof cases which I use on the motorcycle and such to keep it out of the elements. It can even be submerged!