PDA

View Full Version : motorized gooseneck trailer dolly

BigDaveZJ
03-02-2012, 12:08 AM
Anyone seen one? I could get my trailer in the backyard if I had something smaller than my truck to move it with. I've seen some for bumper pull trailers, but not sure how hard/easy it would be to adapt to a gooseneck. I was thinking some kind of 3 wheel device with 2 fixed wheels with one being the drive wheel, and a steering wheel with a handle attached for steering and maneuvering. Speed controls would also be attached to the handlebars.

For my needs this would need to be somewhat of an all terrain vehicle, as the area I would be using it in is dirt and rock.

Not sure what I would use for a motor, but I had thought about putting a battery on the trailer itself for a winch, so it would be easy to use that for power, or even run it off a 110v extension cord since I'll always be using it at my house where 110 power will be easy to get to.

Any ideas?

AgitatedPancake
03-02-2012, 12:15 AM
Do you have a riding lawnmower? Honestly...I've seen it done before :D

BigDaveZJ
03-02-2012, 12:19 AM
If my yard was big enough, I certainly would. My lot is about 1/4 acre, but I can mow it with a push mower in under 10 minutes, and we'll probably be getting rid of 1/3 of the existing grass when we build a shop. So we might eventually get one, but if I can build some crazy contraption for substantially less than a riding mower I might do that, but if it's going to cost as much as a riding mower, might as well just do that.

GraKee99
03-02-2012, 01:35 AM
How about a cheap 4 wheeler or golf cart? Just build a cage around it with a ball on the top.

96RedZJ
03-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Friend uses his Trike to move his goose neck trails around in his back yard and job. Seems to work fine.

ATL ZJ
03-03-2012, 01:31 AM
Dave I have the same problem/plan but thankfully have a smaller trailer that isn't a goose. I have a pretty weird idea I think I am going to try. I'll post up if I follow thru with it. Gotta spec out some parts first. The production trailer movers are expensive and not good for rough terrain. Mine should be cheap and ideal for offroad.

Mtn WJ
03-03-2012, 03:37 PM
Problem solved. See Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGeUSjRMlQ4

BigDaveZJ
03-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Dave I have the same problem/plan but thankfully have a smaller trailer that isn't a goose. I have a pretty weird idea I think I am going to try. I'll post up if I follow thru with it. Gotta spec out some parts first. The production trailer movers are expensive and not good for rough terrain. Mine should be cheap and ideal for offroad.

Yeah my old 16' trailer could almost be moved around by hand, 24' goose . . . not so much. This mover looks like it could do well in rough terrain: http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?193705-Trailer-mover-My-latest-creation

cLAYH
03-20-2012, 01:58 PM
I saw a pic where a guy had a front mount hitch reciever on a short SUV(older Toyota Landcruiser?) and had a bar that came straight out maybe 6" and then up 2 or 3 feet with a ball on the top. Used it to push his GN trailer into the back yard. Would only work with a lighter trailer on a fairly level surface. Otherwise I imagine the hitch would fold over.

I would be tempted to build out forward at a 45* angle like a super long stinger and then brace it back.

ZJ TINS
03-20-2013, 12:12 PM
I would think a used self power snow blower could be moded. Everything there but the ball. Move handle to the front and disco the blade and go. Same for a tiller.