PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Adventure Trip

BigDaveZJ
01-30-2012, 09:09 PM
As with the last 3 years, Pam and I plan on doing a week long expedition style trip late Summer to early Fall. We've done CO twice, and UT once, and we're looking at a little of each this year.

Our jumping off point will be Grand Junction, CO for numerous reasons. Lots of places to keep the tow rig and trailer, plentiful supplies, etc. From there we will travel to Moab via the Kokopelli Trail. Then we will go through the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands. To get back to Grand Junction we will head through the La Sal Mountains to Gateway, CO where we will turn back into UT and go through the Dolores Triangle. There are a couple spots along there that we might check out that will put us within a couple of miles of our route to Moab, but we'll be on the opposite side of the Colorado River. Then we'll nead NE out of the Dolores Triangle and through Glade Park back to Junction.

Haven't gotten to the point of putting a timeline together for the trip yet, but figure a day for the drive to Junction and maybe start into Kokopelli. At least 1 more, if not 2 days to reach Moab, another 2-3 for White Rim and other various Moab activities, and 2-3 for the return trip to Junction. Should be >300 miles, with very few pavement miles. Leaning towards mid-late September for a timeframe, but that's always subject to change.

CrawlerReady
01-30-2012, 09:11 PM
Just come run the Rubicon with us in August ;)

Stealth Crawler ZJ
01-30-2012, 11:17 PM
cool you'll be right next to my house,
I only live a couple miles away from the Kokopelli th at the base of the monument where Glade park comes out at hwy 340 .
maybe we could run the jct-moab part of it with you.

ajmorell
01-31-2012, 12:18 AM
As always, we'd love to come along but I would be very surprised if my zj was in wheelable condition much before July or August...at least that's my goal, it may be even longer than that

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

GraKee99
01-31-2012, 05:55 PM
I like the time frame being late September, gives me a better chance of being able to make it. We will see though.

Cody
01-31-2012, 06:59 PM
I might be interested in this. I've done all of that stuff, with the exception of the return back into Gateway. I'd expect 2 days on Koko, and 2 days on white rim. You can push through WR in 1 day...but you'd miss everything. I think Koko would be a tough haul in a single day.

BigDaveZJ
01-31-2012, 07:22 PM
We'd love to have you along Cody, although it may make the trip a pricey one for me by making me want a Tacoma/4Runner even more!

Cody
01-31-2012, 08:27 PM
Shit, who says I'll have found a way to purchase one by then :(

OverlandXJ
01-31-2012, 08:45 PM
My son and i are hoping to get out that way in early Sept, mostly CO but a quickie into Canyonlands to scratch WR off the bucket list. Sounds like we will just miss your group.

Cody
01-31-2012, 08:48 PM
You should probably pick your dates sooner than later and get your reservations for WR. I would probably reserve 2 spots, then if you don't have vehicles 4/5/6 you can cancel one. Murphy's Hogback is the most centered site on the trail.

ajmorell
02-29-2012, 12:23 PM
Dave, the 8.8 swap should be finished up by then and hopefully I have any kinks worked out. Keep me posted, I should be able to take a few days off work if I need to. Not sure if we'd do the whole route all the way back up to Grand Junction, might just head back east after Moab or when it makes the most sense.