PDA

View Full Version : Ham radios

Jeep Whore
08-03-2011, 11:44 PM
i didn't see a topic on it so i figured i'd start one up. who here uses a HAM? instead of the cb radios?

rodd88
08-04-2011, 12:09 AM
Why? More people are prone to carry a CB and have a better shot and getting you out of a jam. I just got my cb installed amd makes it a lot easier to communicate when there isnt phone service around.

Jeep Whore
08-04-2011, 12:17 AM
ham radios aren't phones. they are actually a loooootttt better then CB radios.

rodd88
08-04-2011, 01:06 AM
I knowwwww... Ham radios are long distance radios. Problem if I recall correctly is your buddy has to have to talk to them. If your click has em do it.

Cody
08-10-2011, 02:35 PM
The newer digital HAM's can also send out text messages/emails, as well as provide real time tracking information that people can view online (think SPOT, only cooler and free). If you both have digital HAM's, it will even tell you the distance between you and the person you are talking to. This is nice if you're trying to figure out how far back someone is, how spread out a group is, where someone is on a map (approx) etc.

On some of our longer trips, we may have 6-8 vehicles spread out over 10 miles or more. By having a HAM in front and back you can keep the group on course and get updates should someone in the middle break down 5 miles from the front, and not have CB range.

In ideal circumstances, a good HAM can get 50+ miles of range (compared to 2-5 miles for most CB's) and if you hit repeaters you can go hundreds of miles off of a vehicle based HAM. If you're outside of cell range then that can come in handy. I've also found the regional based weather information to be handy as well.

FishPOET
08-10-2011, 03:11 PM
I have a Yaesu mobile (50 watts) in the ZJ. Most people that I hit the trails with are now hams. The test is not that difficult and everything about amateur radio is better than CB. Even my HT outperforms the best CB radio.

theksmith
09-23-2011, 10:57 PM
I knowwwww... Ham radios are long distance radios. Problem if I recall correctly is your buddy has to have to talk to them. If your click has em do it.

most people that are into the expedition type wheeling will eventually see the light of HAM radio

and you're buddy doesn't have to have one for it to be useful... often you can reach a repeater sitting on high ground from even remote areas. many people monitor these and can assist you in an emergency. also many have open auto-patch so that you can dial an outside phone number.

i also have a SPOT which i think is a great addition to the communications setup too. especially if you like to go explore solo sometimes like me.

check out 4x4ham.com if you're into both. here's a writeup there on my Kenwood dual band mobile rig install: http://www.4x4ham.com/content.php?170-Kenwood-DualBand-install-in-2003-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-(WJ)

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_xkFrXZhchqE/TTnKMN9eJvI/AAAAAAAAQUo/RaW23PyTv_I/s800/P1110110.JPG (http://www.4x4ham.com/content.php?170-Kenwood-DualBand-install-in-2003-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-(WJ))

dotcom
07-11-2013, 10:51 PM
I have been wheeling as a ham for years, just recently picked up a zj for myself and am starting the lift mods etc. the wife wouldn't let me near her zj, wonder why? Anyway ive been looking forward to getting the radios installed an getting on the trail again.

ntranced
10-01-2015, 11:45 AM
I know, old thread.
I've been studying for the entry level exam.
Can a ham radio be set up to switch on to the citizen band for a conversation with people using CBs?

K2
10-02-2015, 12:15 PM
I don't know too much about ham, from what I do know they are separate units. I think you need separate antennas as well. I don't think you can combine them like a cb and your radio.

Stealth Crawler ZJ
10-05-2015, 12:55 AM
If buy a connex ham radio from a CB shop they will "convert" 1 band over to CB and you will still have the other ham bands I have done this and it works pretty well!
And it takes 1good tuned antenna(preferably a whip style) for both bandwidths