PDA

View Full Version : 5 point harnesses

biggoofy
06-27-2011, 08:31 PM
The time has come for me to start shopping for some of these as I now have the ability to mount them correctly. What are you running? What do you like or not like? Any vendors on here sell them? or anyone have a used set?

cowboy63b
06-27-2011, 08:42 PM
corbeau FTW! i have a set of 3 point retractables in my ZJ, love them, i think i went with 2 inch versus 3 inch for DD comfort.

biggoofy
06-27-2011, 08:43 PM
They will only be used when wheeling as I plan to keep the factory belts for DDing use.

SirFuego
06-27-2011, 09:30 PM
IMO, any brand that's SFI certified (which is basically any harness you buy from virtually any racing store) would work. If you have any racing buddies, they may have a set of harnesses that's already expired. As long as they aren't frayed, they should be more than sufficient and they'd probably get rid of them relatively cheap. That's how I got my set of harnesses.

The important things to consider:

Latching mechanism. The cam-lock style is nice, but it can build up with mud -- which may not be a big deal until you start wheeling without doors. I prefer latch and link not only for price, but the fact that they seem to latch easier in muddy environments.
I'm a bigger guy with wide shoulders, so I prefer 3" shoulder belts, but some skinnier folk prefer the 2" shoulder belts. So you might want to take that into consideration.
I'm not a big fan of the "wrap-around" style of mounting. If the belt is able to slide across the tube, it's possible that the belt can move after a bunch of jostling around and actually loosen up the harness -- not really what you want in a rollover. The belts aren't going anywhere with a bolt on style mount.
Always keep your belts on an empty seat connected. This will not only prevent them from flopping around, but also prevent the lap belts or shoulder straps swing out the side (again if you have no doors or tube doors), which makes them vulnerable to rocks or trees. I know this from experience so I will be getting new harnesses before I'm back on the trails.
Most folks I know (including myself) prefer the "pull down" harnesses to tighten the shoulder belts. Again, this is a matter of preference, though.
I sound like a parent saying this, but wear the complete harness all the time while wheeling -- even on access roads and "easy" trails. Sometimes flops happen when you least expect it. Plus, I've noticed that a nice side effect of doing so is that I'm much less fatigued after a hard day of wheeling due to the fact that I'm not constantly being thrown around

biggoofy
06-27-2011, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the nice response man. I had a set of takata harnesses in my turbo integra and love them just not the price lol.

I think Ill be ordering these 1 black 1 pink for the wife haha
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BOB-50502-18-23/?rtype=10

96RedZJ
06-27-2011, 11:24 PM
They will only be used when wheeling as I plan to keep the factory belts for DDing use.

Might be hard. Some harnesses use the factory seat holes.

Sent from my DROIDX

biggoofy
06-27-2011, 11:32 PM
I can make it work man.

96RedZJ
06-27-2011, 11:49 PM
I can make it work man.

When you do it post a lot of pictures. Because I know the gf wont wanna use the harness.

Sent from my DROIDX

5.9 ANDY
06-28-2011, 10:42 AM
goofy, i will be following this closely, and let me know how you like what you end up getting, as i am going to need harnesses for KOH.

hvac man
06-29-2011, 12:49 AM
I had these http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Crow-2-x2-Integrated-V-Harness-p-595.html in my truggy with some Beard racing seats. They always worked the way they were supposed to.

firehawkclone
06-29-2011, 08:20 AM
IMO, any brand that's SFI certified (which is basically any harness you buy from virtually any racing store) would work. If you have any racing buddies, they may have a set of harnesses that's already expired. As long as they aren't frayed, they should be more than sufficient and they'd probably get rid of them relatively cheap. That's how I got my set of harnesses.
SFI is more than good enough, FIA has a longer cert rating. ALWAYS check the rule book, and call the tech inspector.
The important things to consider:

Latching mechanism. The cam-lock style is nice, but it can build up with mud -- which may not be a big deal until you start wheeling without doors. I prefer latch and link not only for price, but the fact that they seem to latch easier in muddy environments.
Good point, i perfer the cam lock in roadracing
I'm a bigger guy with wide shoulders, so I prefer 3" shoulder belts, but some skinnier folk prefer the 2" shoulder belts. So you might want to take that into consideration.
Alot of the hardcore racing belts being made with 2" shoulder belts are for a HANS. So they dont slide off it. With KOH speeds, I would run a HANS!
3' with no HANS, to spread the load on the collar bones. Run a pad to make it feel better on the neck.
I'm not a big fan of the "wrap-around" style of mounting. If the belt is able to slide across the tube, it's possible that the belt can move after a bunch of jostling around and actually loosen up the harness -- not really what you want in a rollover. The belts aren't going anywhere with a bolt on style mount.
Only wrap around for me, no tab's to fail, bend. They make tube clamps in all the normal size's. Check McMaster.
Always keep your belts on an empty seat connected. This will not only prevent them from flopping around, but also prevent the lap belts or shoulder straps swing out the side (again if you have no doors or tube doors), which makes them vulnerable to rocks or trees. I know this from experience so I will be getting new harnesses before I'm back on the trails.
Great advice!
Most folks I know (including myself) prefer the "pull down" harnesses to tighten the shoulder belts. Again, this is a matter of preference, though.
Same here, its just easier.
I sound like a parent saying this, but wear the complete harness all the time while wheeling -- even on access roads and "easy" trails. Sometimes flops happen when you least expect it. Plus, I've noticed that a nice side effect of doing so is that I'm much less fatigued after a hard day of wheeling due to the fact that I'm not constantly being thrown around
Again great advice, and always wear a helmet around a cage. The skull pops like a watermelon when it hits a cage with no helemt.

Follow the belt Mfg install instructions to the T. I cant stress this enough. Otherwise the belts could hurt you instead of protecting you.

SB406
06-29-2011, 08:40 AM
I have the "V" style harnesses in my truck. The 2 shoulder belts come together into 1 mounting mount. I would not recommend these since they can rub on your neck and be irritating.

Get something with the 5th belt (sub belt). It holds the belts in place, where they should be, and keeps them from riding up. Much more comfortable, IMO.

Make sure you and your passenger understand how to get out of whateverr belts you're in. I've flopped my truck wearing just the lap belt. Even then, I needed to push my ass into the seat to take pressure off the latch to release (and not fall on my head). My wife wasn't aware of this ahead of time and needed assistance.

biggoofy
06-29-2011, 08:56 AM
I think I will be ordering the summit ones I linked. My wife will receive a course on these. Thanks for all the good info!

SirFuego
06-29-2011, 09:55 AM
Only wrap around for me, no tab's to fail, bend. They make tube clamps in all the normal size's. Check McMaster.
I assume that two tube clamps are used on each side of the belt to ensure that the belt can't slide?

I have the "V" style harnesses in my truck. The 2 shoulder belts come together into 1 mounting mount. I would not recommend these since they can rub on your neck and be irritating.
I have the "H" style and still have isses with them rubbing on my neck. Some harness pads should remedy that, though.

Get something with the 5th belt (sub belt). It holds the belts in place, where they should be, and keeps them from riding up. Much more comfortable, IMO.
True. I only have a 4 point setup right now (the guy I got the harnesses from couldn't find the sub belt), but will be changing over to 5 point. Installed properly, the 5th belt shouldn't be uncomfortable and definitely makes the belts fit better. Some people say that the 5th belt's only purpose is to prevent you from sliding under the belts in a high speed wreck, but like Mike said, it basically just holds everything in place. When you are on your lid, the 5th belt is preventing the other belts from moving closer to the roof.

Make sure you and your passenger understand how to get out of whateverr belts you're in.
That's definitely true. I've shown Sarah how to use them in normal circumstances, but we haven't needed to unlatch them while we are upside down. I'll be sure to mention that to her next time we go out. Although, she always gets out before I do something stupid, but we all know that flops sometimes happen when you least expect it. She loves wearing the harness, though, because it is so much more secure and she can just grab onto the shoulder straps and go along for the ride.

rstrucks
06-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Some people say that the 5th belt's only purpose is to prevent you from sliding under the belts in a high speed wreck, but like Mike said, it basically just holds everything in place. When you are on your lid, the 5th belt is preventing the other belts from moving closer to the roof.

The purpose of the 5 (or 6th) harness belt is to keep the lap belts in the right position during a crash. It prevents the lap belts from compressing your soft, squishy, delicate abdomen by keeping the lap belt low and applying any restraining force to you super strong pelvis!

I agree Jared, the latch and link is the way to go for off road use, along with the pull-down style.

My prefenence is for the 2" belts with seperate attachment points. You can weld on little belt guides (think 1/8" rod bent in a flat U shape) to keep the belts form sliding on the tube. Also, if you triple weave the belt through the mounting/wrap tab they won't loosen up.

I have never run harnesses on my Jeep, just my track car, but I have them in my TJ now and I look forward to being less fatigued at the end of a long day of wheelin'.

biggoofy
06-29-2011, 10:44 AM
My harness will use the mounting tabs and the wifes will wrap the bars like Ryan said I will be welding up some small flat U's to make sure they dont slide around on her.

BigClay
06-29-2011, 10:48 AM

My prefenence is for the 2" belts with seperate attachment points.

Jared's point exactly... Ryan, you skinny SOB! :D