PDA

View Full Version : i gots me a tow rig

cowboy63b
06-15-2011, 11:05 PM
94 chebby 2500 ext. cab, 2wd. 6.5 turbo.

got it running today after it sitting for 4 years, im thinking the pmd is failing, and/or its sucking air into the fuel somewhere, cause its a hard bitch to start.

biggoofy
06-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Check the spark plugs! :flipoff2:

cowboy63b
06-16-2011, 07:36 PM
Check the spark plugs! :flipoff2:

uh huh, ill get right on that.

it usually runs fine
06-20-2011, 01:55 AM
Or it has water in the fuel system

paulkeith
06-20-2011, 07:42 AM
or its a chevy diesel

:flipoff2:

cowboy63b
06-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Or it has water in the fuel system

i thought the same thing, buttttt, its also loosing fuel pressure, im thinking the fuel filter housing may be cracked, because its wet all around it, but im not gonna pull it outcause its a pain in the ass to replace. im thinkin of just gettin a new housing and bein done with it.

or its a chevy diesel

well fawk

CrawlerReady
06-20-2011, 09:38 PM
or its a chevy diesel

:smt071

cowboy63b
06-20-2011, 09:40 PM
oh thats right you have a dmax huh.

paulkeith
06-21-2011, 04:51 PM
i didn't know chevy owned isuzu :D :flipoff2:

CrawlerReady
06-21-2011, 05:13 PM
Eh.....yeah, just figured you were shit-talking chevy in general :flipoff2: Which I still believe you are haha.

it usually runs fine
06-21-2011, 05:53 PM
I think Overkillzj has a tiny bit of expierence with the chev turbo diesel. lol

BigDaveZJ
06-21-2011, 06:05 PM
I think Overkillzj has a tiny bit of expierence with the chev turbo diesel. lol

Yeah that sure was fun when it was in my driveway for a couple weeks! :flipoff2:

firehawkclone
06-22-2011, 05:26 AM
Check out www.dieselplace.com (http://www.dieselplace.com) alot of good info there on the 6.5.

Some of the 6.5's have lift(inline elec) pumps that go bad, and i think my old memory remembers an oil pressure sending unit that create a hard to start. I could be wrong.

paulkeith
06-22-2011, 07:38 AM
nah, a dmax is a very nice truck. i was just ripping on that 6.5. I've never heard a single good story about them.

firehawkclone
06-24-2011, 01:39 AM
nah, a dmax is a very nice truck. i was just ripping on that 6.5. I've never heard a single good story about them.

I don't thinks its a bad motor, just old school mechanical diesel. It serve's are military well in the hummer, and rummor has it powering the brand new presidential limo. I'll keep my Dmax though!

cowboy63b
06-24-2011, 01:56 AM
just a rumor

ATL ZJ
06-24-2011, 03:49 PM
I've got a story about a 6.5. Ain't a good one...

Our federal gov't has made some bad decisions but I can't believe they'd be dumb enough to resurrect a 6.5 for that.

SirFuego
06-24-2011, 04:24 PM
Yeah that sure was fun when it was in my driveway for a couple weeks! :flipoff2:
Not to mention the time he had a broken cell phone and dumped out a few gallons of water to "save weight" before the trip home from GSE. We split from him on the convoy home when he had only about 40 miles of highway to go (we still had about 300 to go) and I think we both got to our respective homes at the same time. :-)

cowboy63b
11-10-2011, 12:30 AM
so to bump my little 6.5 love thread here........

ive done some work on the truck.

replaced the harm. balancer, OPS, glow plugs, fuel filter, and a few other parts i cant remember at the moment.

after all the work (and funds pulled from the heep) i have her busting off in the first key hit, quite proud of myself i must say.

i *should* have it safe enough to put back on the road in a few more paychecks. I hope..........

And yes its white, with the infamous early 90's GM paint problems.

But im thinkin of a repaint to black (maybe) and either level out the front and throw on 19.5's or drop the rear a little and 19.5's.

oh and cold air and 4" diamondeye downpipe back, some sterio lovin, and a few other goodies.

IndyZJ
11-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Good to see you got it running well.

Why do unnecessary mods to a tow pig for looks? I can understand paint, but aren't 19.5" wheels and tires heavy (hard on front end components and bad for braking) and generally shitty for ride quality?

cowboy63b
11-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Good to see you got it running well.

Why do unnecessary mods to a tow pig for looks? I can understand paint, but aren't 19.5" wheels and tires heavy (hard on front end components and bad for braking) and generally shitty for ride quality?

good point, i didnt think about that.

but then again this has turned into my new DD/tow pig, and i really like the fact the 19.5's will last a long ass time vs say my 16's that are dryrotted now.

and as far as the ride is concerned, its a truck, not a caddy, but i do see your point, and the seats arn't broken down at all, yeah the arm rest is torn, but thats what happens when the truck is 17 years old, and besides, i got it for free anyway.

cowboy63b
11-11-2011, 10:27 PM
i like to consider the 19.5's an upgrade for the tires and wheels.

OverkillZJ
11-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Be cautious towing with that motor - they like to cook themselves from the inside out. the 97+ cooling upgrade helps a ton, with dual thermostats. Overheating is the primary reason those suckers have failing PMD's - prevent it in the first place or you'll probably be out $800+ and a fuel pump / PMD.

Good luck. Never again.

cowboy63b
11-12-2011, 07:10 PM
im actually gathering parts for the dual thermostat and d-max cooling fan upgrades, along with a new water pump and radiator........id rather be safe than sorry.

zjeepin
11-17-2011, 03:15 PM
i gotta say I hope you have better luck than most with your truck.. I had my own personal hell with one of these, spent a little over 3 years thinking I almost had it running dependably just to have the next thing fail..

the guys at dieselplace are a great resource, also Todd at Heath Diesel should become a good friend of yours, I definately recommend their chips, the stock programming will fry the engine real fast if you try to tow very often or expect any type of performance towing, a large diameter exhaust system is a must as well and ditch the cat

definately install ALL of the cooling upgrades you can, boost and pyro gauges are a must IMO- its very easy to get the EGT's too high while towing with stock programming, hell you can get them too hot just driving it hard from my experience.

like overkill said.. good luck and never again for me

cowboy63b
01-12-2012, 11:37 PM
bumpin time again

so braking performance is decent, other than warping a rotor, im thinking of upgrading to disks out back on this truck, butttttt i need to keep the e-brake, ive heard the eldorado calipers are the way to go, but i dont know for sure.

so i guess the questions are.......

1: what year eldorado calipers?
2: 80's ish front 4wd 3/4 ton rotors? or 1 ton? diffrence?
3: bent brackets or straight?

yes it is the full float.

zjeepin
01-13-2012, 02:05 PM
you're going to run into more than calipers and rotors on this one, you'll probably end up needing to get the proper brake master cylinder for the increased fluid volume in the calipers.

you should be able to get more than enough braking from the drum setup on the 14b, more than likely you should be able to adjust the shoes up/out and be back in business and still have your 2-300 bucks in your pocket.. buuut if you were interested in keeping $ in your pocket you wouldn't have bought this truck so carry on sir...

CrawlerReady
01-13-2012, 02:34 PM
buuut if you were interested in keeping $ in your pocket you wouldn't have bought this truck so carry on sir...

HAHAHA + rep for sure.

BigClay
01-13-2012, 02:58 PM
buuut if you were interested in keeping $ in your pocket you wouldn't have bought this truck so carry on sir...

Now it is you making me laugh :D

cowboy63b
01-14-2012, 12:22 AM
Who ever said I bought this truck? I got it for free, other than sitting for 4 years, all it really needed was some regular maintenance stuff and she was rockin again, and all joking aside, the 6.5 is a good engine that you can't run the piss out of and have them turned like a cummins, dmax, or power joke, and regular wear items replaced ( eg...glow plugs, harm balancer, thermostats, ect...) and you can make decent power with them, but again it ain't no cummins, and having a few other inefficient parts doesn't help, I worked on these engines in the army, so I do know them fairly well, and the great thing is this engine will run on just about any fuel you could think of, save for light wight fuels like gasoline. And of course gauges are a must (boost, pyrometer, and trans temp being the big 3)

Oh, did I mention I got the truck for free?

BigDaveZJ
01-14-2012, 09:54 AM
So if I shit in a box and gave it to you for free you'd be happy about it?

ATL ZJ
01-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Cowboy we have all owned 6.5s so we are speaking from experience. It does seem you have the most important thing to owning one of these which is patience.

A truck that was free upfront but requires endless maintenance isn't really free IMO.

BigDaveZJ
01-14-2012, 12:42 PM
I technically have not owned one, but I did have one torn apart in my driveway for a month.

cowboy63b
01-14-2012, 02:27 PM
So if I shit in a box and gave it to you for free you'd be happy about it?

as long as iget a hug too:smt050

Cowboy we have all owned 6.5s so we are speaking from experience. It does seem you have the most important thing to owning one of these which is patience.

A truck that was free upfront but requires endless maintenance isn't really free IMO.

i can agree with that, but then again, it has 250K on it already, im planning a cummins swap for it eventually.

and most people dont like these trucks because they require the constant maintenance, but it doesnt really bother me.

zjeepin
01-17-2012, 01:00 PM
you'll get tired of it leaving you sitting sometime- or having to run your boost solenoid off the rig in tow LOL

good luck with the truck honestly- mine was waaaaaaaay more trouble than its worth- i was able to buy a 12 year newer gas truck for the money I was putting into parts to keep this one maintained and running

OverkillZJ
01-17-2012, 01:42 PM
Haha, I love all of the comments. The only way I'd ever touch the 6.5 again, is if it had damn-near zero miles on it, so you could be sure to upgrade the cooling and exhaust long before oveheating, causing the cluster-fawk that was a month at Dave's house.

Althou running the vacuum solenoid off of the buggy was hilarious.

BigDaveZJ
01-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Yeah, the level of confusion in the Redstone parking lot when you pulled in with the buggy running while on the trailer was quite high, lol.

zjeepin
01-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Haha, I love all of the comments. The only way I'd ever touch the 6.5 again, is if it had damn-near zero miles on it, so you could be sure to upgrade the cooling and exhaust long before oveheating, causing the cluster-fawk that was a month at Dave's house.

Althou running the vacuum solenoid off of the buggy was hilarious.

not sure if you've heard the story but i had to pull that play outta your book matt- got half way to harlan and my vacuum pump bit the big one- happened to be in a lowes parking lot, went in and got myself some 1/4" water line and went to harlan.. on the way home the sun started to warm the tubing up enough that the vacuum would cause it to collapse but it served its purpose well enough..

the guys at heath diesel were having good luck with running 6.2 short blocks with this and that to make a more durable 6.5 buuuut they were spending enough money to buy another truck IMO so it was time to let someone else have that problem