PDA

View Full Version : SPOT Connect

BigDaveZJ
04-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Just picked one of these up, pretty slick little setup. It's a satellite/GPS based tracking system, but unlike a regular GPS device it can communicate both ways to an extent. In tracking mode it will update your location every 10 minutes to a web page, and you can also send various messages, from help, check-in/okay, to send the freakin' calvary. The unit we got ties in to our cell phones via BlueTooth so we can control it from the phone (although the phone is not need on our model for tracking or SOS messages) and send custom messages as well. Should be pretty beneficial when we're out in the middle of nowhere and experience any medical or mechanical issues.

AgitatedPancake
04-10-2011, 06:34 PM
My dad's a forester and out 50 miles beyond nowhere a lot of the time, alone. I've been with him, and he hikes miles and miles scouting property lines and such, so if he were ever to get hurt out there it would be a huge deal. My family and I got him one of these SPOT units a couple years ago that he now carries around EVERYWHERE he goes out there. He can push the track button and send a pinpoint on a map to any e-mail addresses he arranged, so we can see where he is when he pushes it. And then theres the SOS feature like you said that connects to emergency services, a HUGE margin of safety in such a little device!

ArloGuthroJeep
04-10-2011, 06:38 PM
I have one one (the older model that doesn't have some of the nice newer features) and like it quite a bit. When I do mountaineering trips my wife likes to follow my progress throughout the day.

paulkeith
04-11-2011, 09:42 AM
Those things are super popular with the adventure riding motorcycle crowd. A lot of the ride reports people put together start out with a link to their spot tracker page and you can watch their progress on a daily basis all the way from AK to Ushuaia or whatever they're doing. Cool stuff!

Matt
06-19-2011, 06:08 PM
I use mine for backcountry/bush flying and it works great. A few pilot I know have hit the 911 button, and it has saved more than a few lives (especially in AK). I'm not familiar with the connect, but the tracker and messenger work great.

Good product! :smt023

GraKee99
06-20-2011, 09:13 PM
Picked one up this winter after I didn't come back one night till 830 while snowmobiling in the backcountry. My girlfriend was not happy. So I can update where I am so she knows I am moving and everything is good. But I also like it for the emergency feature. I never go alone but the 911 feature sure is nice in case something should ever happen.

dads5.9
07-09-2011, 08:26 PM
I got mine a couple of years ago after arriving back to Moab about midnight and my wife was ready to call the local rescue to try and find us. It's easy to let her know everything is OK, and we're just running late.

theksmith
09-23-2011, 11:02 PM
i'll agree, SPOT rocks

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-rb1E0CX-vW0/TIbGsCNktVI/AAAAAAAAOxs/srv5wt6Acrw/s800/P1090621.JPG

Chris Norris
12-04-2011, 09:15 AM
thats really cool.. i think ill be getting one of those..

OverlandXJ
12-04-2011, 11:19 AM
What's the cost to keep one of these activated? I assume it's just a monthly fee?

BigDaveZJ
12-04-2011, 12:24 PM
I think we pay $150/yr, $100 of it for the regular service (check-ins and SOS) and $50 for the online tracking.

GraKee99
12-20-2011, 11:56 AM
How do you like it, Dave? Had a chance to use it? I have been thinking of getting one of these because all I have is the beacon.

edit: Did you get this one? http://www.rei.com/product/816133/spot-connect-satellite-communicator

BigDaveZJ
12-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Brian,
That is the same one I've got, and I've been happy with it. Most of the negative reviews I've read on it so far seem to be from people who don't take the time to become familiar with the device and its operation BEFORE taking it out into the backcountry. I've seen several times where people had issues with it because they didn't sync the device to their phone in an area where the phone had data service (either over cell or wifi) and then expected it to work flawlessly in the middle of nowhere. PLB's certainly still have a place in the market, but the flexibility of the SPOT can be very beneficial IMO. The tracking service available with the SPOT is nice too. My understanding on a PLB is that you must still push a button to activate its signal, but if you were knocked unconscious you could still be found (obviously someone has to be looking at the tracking page) with a SPOT as your location is being uploaded every 10 minutes to the satellites.

GraKee99
12-20-2011, 06:09 PM
Awesome, thanks for the review.

BigDaveZJ
12-20-2011, 06:31 PM
For sure, if you're down in Denver and want to check it out, let me know.

GraKee99
12-20-2011, 07:01 PM
I will down in about a month to help my gf move so I will shoot you a pm when I'm headed your way.

fpkites
12-21-2011, 09:06 PM
It was pretty cool watching Dave's feed when he was on the Moab expedition earlier this year. I'm thinking about getting one in the next 6 months or so.

egg
05-19-2014, 06:11 PM
Bump for update, been a few years, would you still recommend the spot connect to someone looking for a gps device? The ability to contact the outside world is a plus but not a requirement for what I want.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BigDaveZJ
05-19-2014, 07:33 PM
I still like mine, but I know there has been some newer tech that has come out that might be better, not really sure though.

egg
05-21-2014, 11:51 PM
Found an android app: backcountry navigator. Gonna see how I like it on the next run and decide if I want/need to add the abilities of the spot/ delorme Bluetooth satellite gps communicators. Thanks for the review

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jeep Whore
05-22-2014, 12:07 AM
Egg once you figure out how it all works you'll love it. I have used that for a year and a half now and no complaints a few others here use it aswell. The gps should work internally on that device.

But if you need people to find where you are and you have no service or any communication then a spot would still be needed in that case.

sent from my phone.

K2
06-20-2014, 10:31 PM
I saw this on another forum. $150 rebate on a spot 3.

https://spot.rebateaccess.com/promotion.php?p=54706

JordanA
02-21-2016, 02:52 AM
I heard that SPOT was upping the fees for some users, something like a 50% increase. Dave, are you still using yours and does this effect you? I've heard a lot of people talking about ditching the service as a result.

BigDaveZJ
02-21-2016, 03:57 PM
I ditched mine, but for a different reason. I'm using a DeLorme InReach now. Same basic functionality, except it's 2 way so I can send AND receive messages. I like their monthly pricing options too, I can have it deactivated when not in use.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

JordanA
02-21-2016, 08:24 PM
Nice, I'll look into that Delorme system. Thanks!