PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to MallCrawlin on vBulletin 4.1.2!

BigDaveZJ
03-27-2011, 09:57 PM
The software itself has been upgraded, obviously a few other things to take care of though, like the style and some re-directs.

If anybody notices any quirks or something not working like it should, post up and let me know!

black_zj
03-27-2011, 10:41 PM
The old setup was better. How can I change the colors, it's giving me a freakin headache!

BigDaveZJ
03-27-2011, 10:49 PM
This most likely will not be the final color scheme, but it's better than the stock vb4 stuff.

jfowlzj95
03-27-2011, 11:06 PM
This is weird, I was so used to seeing purple.

downtowncb
03-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Dave, you're rocking my world!

In the "you're screwing with something that is constant every day" sort of way. haha

BigClay
03-28-2011, 07:48 AM
Yeah, not feeling this color scheme... but just like every time when Facebook F's with the layout, I will get used to it eventually...

zj95maxx
03-28-2011, 09:39 AM
This is weird, I was so used to seeing purple.

DAVE I TOLD YOU IT LOOKED PURPLE!

OverkillZJ
03-28-2011, 09:51 AM
And now for all the folks that bitch because they don't like change :)

Good work Dave.

Ken L
03-28-2011, 10:18 AM
I only have a question as I know upgrades are necessary....will there be the "view new posts" functionality like in the past? I can live without it, but it was a function I really liked.

Or maybe I didn't find it yet?

Dave, Matt, thanks for all your efforts on this forum.

BigDaveZJ
03-28-2011, 10:22 AM
Ken, it's on the left side on the menu bar, right below "Home." It's exact location may change when I put a new style on here later today, but it is absolutely still there. I always use it too, so I made sure we still had it! The "What's New" thing appears to have the same functionality as well.

SirFuego
03-28-2011, 10:34 AM
The "What's New" thing appears to have the same functionality as well.
It's mostly the same, but it also includes new Blog posts, Articles (like Dave's non-English article on global warming :smt082), etc. in addition to the new forum posts. I'm still not sold on the new version of vBulletin. I understand that it is a lot more feature-rich than the previous versions, but most of the sites I've seen with this version don't utilize the articles or blogs, so it has felt cluttered. I seriously think that is just a display factor though that will be hammered out as more and more sites run this version and more skins become available. I think it has the underpinnings of a very powerful forum, but I think that many admins are a bit hesitant to really exploit those features due to unfamiliarity with the software.

Whatever you do, though, do NOT add in the "Facebook-style" toolbar at the bottom of the page. It seems to be fine in Firefox, but it makes scrolling dreadful in IE8.

Kauzi Zj
03-28-2011, 10:37 AM
I like the new layout, I dont care what color scheme (just not that glaring white crap you had on ZJowners), Dave, Matt, thanks for all the effort and time you put in to making my favorite and most visited site even better!

BigDaveZJ
03-28-2011, 11:30 AM
It's mostly the same, but it also includes new Blog posts, Articles (like Dave's non-English article on global warming :smt082), etc. in addition to the new forum posts. I'm still not sold on the new version of vBulletin. I understand that it is a lot more feature-rich than the previous versions, but most of the sites I've seen with this version don't utilize the articles or blogs, so it has felt cluttered. I seriously think that is just a display factor though that will be hammered out as more and more sites run this version and more skins become available. I think it has the underpinnings of a very powerful forum, but I think that many admins are a bit hesitant to really exploit those features due to unfamiliarity with the software.

Whatever you do, though, do NOT add in the "Facebook-style" toolbar at the bottom of the page. It seems to be fine in Firefox, but it makes scrolling dreadful in IE8.

Still definitely a lot of fine tuning with the articles and blogs and such. My hope is that I can make it a smooth integration like we had with the main page before. If I can figure out a good way to utilize and manage it, I think it will work great. I played around with it VERY little when I was running this on the now-abandoned site I started earlier this year, and saw a lot of potential. It should be really easy to highlight good tech threads and trip reports on the front page, which I would really like to do.

dp96zj
03-28-2011, 11:50 AM
I like it so far. Noticed one quirk though: you can't search for terms, posts, or threads that weren't started on this new version of vBulletin. If I click on your name BigDave and say "View Forum Posts", it'll only show your 7 posts since updating. And the search feature acts the same. If you search for "double cardan" or something common like that, it'll show up with 2 results.

BigDaveZJ
03-28-2011, 11:53 AM
That's certainly an issue . . . thanks for the heads up on it. I'll see if I can get it figured out.

Ken L
03-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Ken, it's on the left side on the menu bar, right below "Home." It's exact location may change when I put a new style on here later today, but it is absolutely still there. I always use it too, so I made sure we still had it! The "What's New" thing appears to have the same functionality as well.

Thanks, Dave!

JohnBoulderCO
03-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Everything is so dark. I just fired up some Joy Division to fit the mood.

BigDaveZJ
03-28-2011, 12:53 PM

Do you have a link to a forum that does this? I want to add some Facebook integration stuff, nothing major, but want to make sure I know what I'm avoiding.

OverkillZJ
03-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Don't worry about it Dave, he's talking about a 3rd party ad-on (comet chat) that some love and some hate. If used on a computer without decent graphics it causes some browsers to lag.

ATL ZJ
03-28-2011, 03:33 PM
This is hard to use... I vote for a theme that has more contrast between the icons for read and unread posts/sections. And let's brighten this place up before someone starts throwing babies in a blender

jfowlzj95
03-28-2011, 07:24 PM
DAVE I TOLD YOU IT LOOKED PURPLE!

Ha, I was actually kidding. It was blue for me, I was just referring to the discussion about it a while ago. :D

The change confused me for a little bit, I kept thinking I was on ZJO when I'd type in Mallcrawlin. But I'll get used to it.

95lumberwagon
03-28-2011, 11:02 PM
Not that it is a big deal but, I noticed we have an avatar and a profile pic. The profile pic seems to be an older avatar from some of you.

ATL ZJ
03-29-2011, 10:06 AM
Not that it is a big deal but, I noticed we have an avatar and a profile pic. The profile pic seems to be an older avatar from some of you.

It has always been that way and no, they can be set separately.

rstrucks
03-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Dave and Matt, thanks for putting in the work.

OverkillZJ
03-29-2011, 08:55 PM
This was all Dave. For once, I didn't have to do $hit! I liked it haha.

PassRunnerZJ
03-30-2011, 12:35 AM
New Reply isn't working on my iPhone iOS 4.2.6. It acts like it starts to load, then fails. No other windows opened either.

BigDaveZJ
03-30-2011, 09:24 AM
New Reply isn't working on my iPhone iOS 4.2.6. It acts like it starts to load, then fails. No other windows opened either.

Was that just on the new style, or all of them? I enabled "user choice" on the style so you can some of the other ones to determine if it's a style issue or forum software issue. And did you already have a post typed out in the quick reply box or were you trying to reply via another method?

moparrr07
03-30-2011, 11:51 AM
hey i noticed with this new (white) color scheme, when you do a search, it highlights the word you searched for and makes it really dark as to where you can really read it, its annoying, you can highlight the text and make it more legible

for example i search spring rate: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?22406-Catchall-Thread-for-Spring-Specs&highlight=spring%20rate

Brad S
03-30-2011, 01:01 PM
hey i noticed with this new (white) color scheme, when you do a search, it highlights the word you searched for and makes it really dark as to where you can really read it, its annoying, you can highlight the text and make it more legible

for example i search spring rate: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?22406-Catchall-Thread-for-Spring-Specs&highlight=spring%20rate

This is the same for the UserCP except the opposite color wise. Inside the user rep section, it says "Thread: ********" and the word thread is white by default, blending in with the background.

PassRunnerZJ
03-30-2011, 11:38 PM
Was that just on the new style, or all of them? I enabled "user choice" on the style so you can some of the other ones to determine if it's a style issue or forum software issue. And did you already have a post typed out in the quick reply box or were you trying to reply via another method?

The new white style and it does not work in the other two styles either. No, didn't have a post typed in the Quick Reply box. Not typing any other way.

Oh... I just realized that the forum just sends me to the Quick Reply vs. opening another posting method like it used to, so it works, just different than the old. I just didn't used to do the Quick Reply so I wasn't used to it.

ATL ZJ
03-31-2011, 10:10 AM
This revised style is great. good job. feels like the old days with the look changing every day

Dels383TA
04-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Just a thought,,but my local board is using this version also and we have a chat box at the top of the page,it is actually pretty cool. Can chat with who ever is online.
If you want to have a look at our board check out http://www.nbjeepclub.com/forum.php and have a look in the forum section.
Just a thought.

gully369
04-06-2011, 11:11 PM
I know I may be in the minority but I like it! Nice work with the FB connect!:)

fredr1980
05-22-2011, 11:49 PM
Dave, I attempted to pm you but the "mobile"stye of the forum does not have that option... Which leads me to my need for help, ever since I switched the forum style to mobile on my phone now any computer I log onto the forum now is in the mobile style and whenever I try to click on the "settings" link to reset it back I get an error message saying the the option is not supported by the mobile style of the forum... Please help with resetting the option back to the normal non-mobile style.

Thanks again,
Fred R.

BigDaveZJ
05-23-2011, 12:40 AM
Fred,
You should be set now. Not sure why it did that to you, in my experience the cookie for each browser remembers the style selection.

fredr1980
05-25-2011, 07:35 PM
Fred,
You should be set now. Not sure why it did that to you, in my experience the cookie for each browser remembers the style selection.

Thanks Dave!

Fred R.