PDA

View Full Version : 98 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2 bad knock

MUDDTRACKS
03-22-2011, 12:54 AM
Hey all picked up a Rodeo for couple hundred and has a really bad knock. It's there from the time you start it and gets louder as you the rpm's go up. No smoke, runs smooth, besides the knock and dont overheat.

Truck is a 98 rodeo 4x4 with 3.2 149,000 miles Anybody know these things and possible cause. I haven't taken it apart yet cause I just got it. I have been cruising a few Isuzu forums but it's like ju. 200 bad answers to every right.

Im a complete newb with imports but hope to make this a decent around town ride. Even if I have to drop in a rebuilt engine I wont be in the hole much and the body and interior is in great shape.

Ted_Z
03-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Not that this is useful info but my wife used to have a honda passport (same as the rodeo). Her 3.2 had terrible valve tick. We used to add 1/2 quart of mystery oil and it helped to keep the noise down a bit.

Drop the oil pan and check the rod bearings for slop.

1fox2go
03-22-2011, 10:18 AM
I wouldnt do anything till it blows

Especially if nothing is leaking

Drive it around town, when she pops rebuild it or better yet have an engine in the shop ready to go in when it dies

MUDDTRACKS
03-22-2011, 09:21 PM
I dont want to melt down the block but thanks. It's not just a tick. Good friend said i should replace the hydrolic lifters. (He is the man when it comes Imports) So i hope he is right.

But if anybody else knows anything I would gladly take your .02

1fox2go
03-23-2011, 09:28 AM
I know what your saying but if its a bad knock from the block area, it could be a number of things, many of which would cause needing a new block or dropping a lot of coin to sleeve it

Lifters tick, rods knock and bang, if its lacking power it could be a broken ring, or pistion

If you are trying to stay cheap locate a junkyard engine and hopefully you can hear it run before you buy it. Thats probably about the cheapest way to go

IndyZJ
03-23-2011, 12:51 PM
Have you done a compression test? It sounds like a rod bearing from your description, but it's hard to diagnose over the internet.

x2 on finding another used engine to drop in. Hear it run or get it from a yard that takes returns. That is usually cheaper than a rebuild.

MUDDTRACKS
03-25-2011, 03:20 AM
Well dont mater now I blew it up. Started it up and was reving it a bit to help find where the banging was coming from and it stopped cold in its tracks. I'm going to tear it down this weekend and see what it was.

ubtrippin
03-25-2011, 06:06 AM
ill bet a dollar to a donut its a rod bearing letting go