PDA

View Full Version : need advice on new truck/dd

lakailimited06
03-17-2011, 10:58 PM
hey guys, im starting to do alot of sidework on the weekends lately and im in the market for a new truck..i've had no problems with the WJ so far with it barely broken in at 110k but i think its wise to get a newer truck since im relying on it for income...

right now im currently at a toss up between a ford f250 7.3 diesel or a dodge dakota with the 4.7 motor...i know theyre two different animals but i cant decide if its worth getting a diesel..

the one im currently looking at is an 02 f250 7.3 4x4 extended cab with 72k on it never used for towing or plowing guys asking 19,500.00 for it...20k is my budget since im already gonna be taking out a loan i dont want to get too crazy..if i bought the diesel i would also eventually look into a plow and a trailer to make some extra money and also tow the jeep...but i dont know if its worth getting the diesel for the 5 times or so a year i'd go to rausch...

the dakota seems more ideal since with a 20k budget i can get a newer one maybe 07 or 08 with 15-30k on it already and just drive the WJ to rausch which i really dont mind doing...i just dont want to be kicking myself for not going with the diesel in the long run..

just looking for some advice if anyone has it, im not a fan of the bigger gasser pickups and my dad had 2 dakota's and we both liked them alot...

5.9 ANDY
03-17-2011, 11:04 PM
i vote for the diesel.

WJvol
03-18-2011, 01:32 AM
i vote for the diesel.

IndyZJ
03-18-2011, 01:47 AM
I would go with the F250 for the money. Around here, the Dak wouldn't be worth 1/2 that by the time it was paid for.

Jeeptech01
03-18-2011, 12:37 PM
New dakotas suck. If you want dodge get a ram. I really really hate the new dakota its a pos.

Yes I work for a CJD dealer.

paulkeith
03-18-2011, 12:42 PM
That F-250 will hold its value about 500 times better than the dakota. You need to sit down and run some numbers on ownership cost and mileage once you factor resale in.

If you're going to wind up doing any towing at all really, my opinion would be to get the diesel and never look back.

Count on probably needing to replace the CPS and do some HPOP o-rings on that F-250, otherwise they're pretty (knock on wood) reliable. You'll get about 15-16mpg all day, maybe 12 towing, and maybe 19-20 on extended ~55mph cruises.

SirFuego
03-18-2011, 12:49 PM
My Ram 1500 does just fine from Buffalo to Rausch Creek -- and looking at a map your route is a lot flatter and half the distance of my trip. I'm sure you'll be fine with a gasser. If that's the only towing you do.

The only time I was sorta hatin' life towing with a gasser was one of the mountains en route to Harlan, KY. Although, it really wasn't that bad in retrospect. I never felt that my gasser wouldn't make it. In fact, a diesel would have probably been just as bad because I still needed to brake around the turns going uphill, so it's not like it would have allowed me to go any faster anyways. I looked at a map afterwards and going about an hour out of my way was the only way to bypass it.

If I had gas miser DD, I'd probably trade in the Ram and get some sort of diesel truck for dedicated towing duty, but I like how quiet my gasser is for a DD.

1fox2go
03-18-2011, 01:22 PM
^ hes getting a dakota though, I wouldnt tow with a dakota as its roughly the same size as his rig

I would vote diesel, if you prefer a gas truck the new tundras are sweet and tow great, or a titan

However the diesel you could gooseneck and tow your friends rig around and make him split the cost of fuel since you will use about the same with one rig vs 2...

Also the newer diesels are getting more quite, the trade off is, from what I have been hearing, they dont seem to tow as well due to the emissions, mufflers, etc

My dad works on the Dodge diesels and people tell him they wish they would have kept their older truck.

lakailimited06
03-18-2011, 06:59 PM
well im leaning towards the diesel now..currently looking at an f250 and an 05 cummins...

Jeep Whore
03-18-2011, 07:10 PM
the one im currently looking at is an 02 f250 7.3 4x4 extended cab with 72k on it never used for towing or plowing guys asking 19,500.00 for it...20k is my budget

you could go with the 6.0 in the fords just don't get an 04, try to get an 06 and ask about if its ever had to go in to the shop. the 6.0s should be cheaper then 7.3s you'll probably want to get something at 18k just to have money to fix any problems on it.

Jeeptech01
03-18-2011, 08:45 PM
5.9 all the way. Stay away from the 6.7 cummins.

1fox2go
03-18-2011, 11:39 PM
5.9 all the way. Stay away from the 6.7 cummins.

I concur

BMB
03-19-2011, 12:28 AM
you could go with the 6.0 in the fords just don't get an 04, try to get an 06 and ask about if its ever had to go in to the shop. the 6.0s should be cheaper then 7.3s you'll probably want to get something at 18k just to have money to fix any problems on it.
Dont get the 6.0, I work on them all the time. The 05 and 06 have a problem with the heads cracking around the internal fuel rail and pump fuel into the cooling system. This usualy happens arond 140k and youll have to put new heads on it, they also have oil cooler and EGR cooler issues too. If you are picking up a diesel get a 7.3 PowerStroke or the 5.9 Cummins.

Jeep Whore
03-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Dont get the 6.0, I work on them all the time. The 05 and 06 have a problem with the heads cracking around the internal fuel rail and pump fuel into the cooling system. This usualy happens arond 140k and youll have to put new heads on it, they also have oil cooler and EGR cooler issues too. If you are picking up a diesel get a 7.3 PowerStroke or the 5.9 Cummins.

oh, we have an 05 F-450 and its got about 60-70k miles on so we haven't run into those problems yet.