PDA

View Full Version : My shop thread

ATL ZJ
03-11-2011, 01:10 AM
Well, I have been waiting to have a shop of my own for more than a little while. I found a house I liked that has a two story shop in the backyard that the previous owner started and never completed. Four months and a lot of patience later, the short sale process is over and I'm moving in. Figured I might as well post up about it since a lot of my time and effort over the next few months will be focused into this.

I don't think this is cool enough for garage journal, nor do I have the budget that is expected there, so you guys will have to endure some of my pics and updates. So here we go. Pardon the pics, I'm working with a 3 year old iphone...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/IMG_0697.jpg

It's 24' x 23' and an awesome beginning but it needs quite a bit to be finished out and operational. House wrap, siding, soffit, some trim, garage door, gutters, railing on the stairs to the second floor, electrical work, etc.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/IMG_0708-1.jpg

The P.O. left a bunch of stuff that he didn't want. Fine by me. Some of it I will use like the nice trim and beam sections. I haven't even been through all of it, but tonight I found a tile saw and a HVLP gun. The plan is to organize and store this upstairs, which will remain unfinished for a while, so I can start using the garage to finish the garage :smt037

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/IMG_0707.jpg

There are two openings in the north-facing wall that the P.O. had intended to be windows. For security and noise reduction (I do have neighbors), my plan is to close these up. I might add a door in one, but that's about as crazy as it'll get.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/IMG_0705.jpg

I haven't found an outlet yet, but it looks like I do have a 220 circuit. There's an excellent chance it's hidden behind some of the clutter. I may want to add a few different outlets eventually. Fortunately for me I have a few friends locally who all like beer and can probably show me the ropes on that sub-project.

autowizard
03-11-2011, 01:31 AM
Nice man cave, now get er done!

chadjans
03-11-2011, 02:32 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/IMG_0705.jpg

I haven't found an outlet yet, but it looks like I do have a 220 circuit. There's an excellent chance it's hidden behind some of the clutter. I may want to add a few different outlets eventually. Fortunately for me I have a few friends locally who all like beer and can probably show me the ropes on that sub-project.

40 amp, 220? A big TIG requires a 50 amp. :supz:

Jeeptech01
03-11-2011, 09:12 AM
Man that is awesome!! So how is the house that they threw in with the garage??

Pearce
03-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Fortunately for me I have a few friends locally who all like beer and can probably show me the ropes on that sub-project.
Oh I'm looking forward to this! :cool:

paulkeith
03-11-2011, 10:37 AM
dude, that thing is plenty cool enough for garage journal. the fact that its there and largely intact in the first place covers a majority of the budget those garage journal bastards have anyway. might not wind up with lista cabinets and racedeck though :D

my only words of advice would be: good lighting, lots of outlets, easy air access, and functional/efficient/multifunction storage.

You could consider double-drywalling the interior walls to help cut down on noise. drywall itself isn't too terribly expensive.

Definitely gonna come check this thing out sometime. happy to lend a hand with any of the construction too, if i can find some damn spare time in the next 3 months.

CrawlerReady
03-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Very kick ass garage! What size lot you pick up?

rstrucks
03-11-2011, 10:49 AM
There are two openings in the north-facing wall that the P.O. had intended to be windows. For security and noise reduction (I do have neighbors), my plan is to close these up. I might add a door in one, but that's about as crazy as it'll get.

You should consider leaving one of those openings (or at least part of it) to install a window A/C unit or two, maybe even just for an exhaust fan. I put the biggest 110V window unit in my basement garage and it does an ok job at keeping it reasonably cool inside even when it's 100 degrees outside.

ATL ZJ
03-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the comments and ideas guys.

40 amp, 220? A big TIG requires a 50 amp.

I will be sure to have a screaming fit at the previous homeowner for failing to accommodate my ridiculous TIG welder! Ha, I don't see any TIG in my future for a while. Unless it's the borrowed kind. But still worth planning ahead for when I get to the wiring.

Very kick ass garage! What size lot you pick up?

It's pretty small. 75' wide and I'm not sure how deep. Already fenced for my dog. It's just barely outside of the Atlanta city limit but still in a semi-urban area close to a lot of friends and conveniences. And I didn't want to move out into the burbs and pay HOA fees and have people tell me what color I could paint my shutters.

dude, that thing is plenty cool enough for garage journal. the fact that its there and largely intact in the first place covers a majority of the budget those garage journal bastards have anyway. might not wind up with lista cabinets and racedeck though :D

my only words of advice would be: good lighting, lots of outlets, easy air access, and functional/efficient/multifunction storage.

You could consider double-drywalling the interior walls to help cut down on noise. drywall itself isn't too terribly expensive.

Definitely gonna come check this thing out sometime. happy to lend a hand with any of the construction too, if i can find some damn spare time in the next 3 months.

I can tell you've put some thought into this. :smt037 It has 4-outlet clusters every several feet, so I think I'm good there. Good idea on the drywall. That may come later but the building was designed for it so I think I want to eventually do that. I may eventually toss a thread up on GJ for more critical insight, but for now this is it. I'll post updates periodically so you can pick when you want to swing by.

Oh I'm looking forward to this! :cool:

Spread the sarcasm on a little thicker, please. ;) I'll understand if you're busy out driving the 5.3.

Man that is awesome!! So how is the house that they threw in with the garage??

The house itself isn't bad. It's very small (2/1), but a lot of upgrades and remodeling have been done. The exterior is extremely dated by an ancient awning and some other retro features, and it needs new siding pretty bad. If I can find a hookup on siding I may just go ahead and do the entire house too. At very least the shop and back of the house will be resided. There is a foundation in the back yard where the P.O. started an addition but never got any farther. I'll be building a large deck over that.

dp96zj
03-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Looks like a sick project in the making! If you haven't seen this thread already, check it out. It's kind of a 1/2 shop build, 1/2 large-scale woodworking project, so hopefully you get some use out of it. All of his pics before page 5 are dead, but it's still a very detailed log of what he's done.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=630318&page=5

95lumberwagon
03-11-2011, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by chadjans
40 amp, 220? A big TIG requires a 50 amp

Rule of thumb is 40amp circuit uses 8ga wire and a 50 uses 6ga check the wire size to be sure, sometimes people size up.
Otherwise:
The National Electric Code (NEC) requires that the gauge wire used for a circuit must be able to handle 125 percent of the load's continuous current plus the load's noncontinuous current. A 40-amp circuit means that the maximum continuous current plus the noncontinuous current cannot be more than 40 amps. the label on your welder should help you get this info

AgitatedPancake
03-11-2011, 12:59 PM
shit man that shop is bad ASS. Looks like you've got a great start on it man, should turn out wicked! How much floor space do you have up in the loft? It actually looks pretty decent...looks like the ULTIMATE man cave haha

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
03-11-2011, 01:25 PM
That's it... I'm moving in to the upper floor.

Ken L
03-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Nice score!

A couple of suggestions--I know you said that you're going to close up the spots where the PO put holes for windows. You may want to re-think that so that you can open up stuff to get a cross breeze. When you're not making noise that will be a good thing. Also, when you do drywall or put OSB up, paint the walls white, and if you do the ceiling paint that white too.

I am really looking forward to this "build"!

AgitatedPancake
03-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Yeah I was going to note, that having a few friends with non drywall garages, I love every square foot of it for how much extra light it reflects. My garage looks bright as hell with half the lights, white walls are good!

Brad S
03-11-2011, 02:39 PM
Be sure and post up pics as it progresses! When you get your buddies to come over and help with electrical, be sure and add enough outlets around the garage. I probably went a little overboard on mine, but for my 2 car garage, I have about 4 outlets per wall (spaced out). It's already been nice to plug something in nearby instead of running extension cords all over the place.

Oh, and I ran a 50amp - 6ga run for my welder. Haven't regretted it since. If you are looking for that gauge wire, check Lowes/HD every now and again for "end-of-roll" deals. I got my wire at 50% off because it was 1.5 ft shorter than what I requested.

Btw, in case you are interested:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=930803

paulkeith
03-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Agree with all the other sentiments about the kickassedness of white walls. I'd drywall and paint it as a part of the initial build. The brightness you'll get and a generally "clean" feeling will be pretty tough to beat i think. If you double drywall it, in addition to the sound abatement, you'll get a slightly more robust wall too. less chance of some shit flying through it.

We also had a builder tell us that for fraternity houses they'll sheet walls in plywood or OSB and then drywall to stop stuff/drunk dudes from going through walls and cut down the noise. Could consider that instead of double drywall as well, this would also make it pretty easy to mount stuff on the walls.

Jeeptech01
03-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Sweet man.

I like the plywood under the drywall idea. I absolutely hate trying to find a stud (in the wall assholes :flipoff2:) to mount something to.

dp96zj
03-11-2011, 02:57 PM
I like the wood. I absolutely hate trying to find a stud to mount
Nice save, but I had to :smt082

autowizard
03-11-2011, 03:49 PM
I would put plywood under the sheet rock all the garages i built i have always done this, it is a little more cost and time but well worth it!

ATL ZJ
03-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Elliott you're welcome to sleep upstairs but you may have to street park your buick til this project is done between pizza inn trips.

The ideas are awesome guys, keep them coming. Ultimately the entire interior will be painted a light color, but my budget is going to force this to happen in stages. So as much as I would like to have the ultimate shop from the get-go, sometimes you just have to wait. I may at least insulate and install OSB to get me going, and then drywall later. There are too many other priorities.

Brad, I've checked out your garage thread on pirate more than a few times. Really cool to see you doing what you are with a regular size garage. But I'm sure the vertical space helps.

And yeah, I had seen that other guy's megashop thread years ago, including all the old pics. He's about 45 minutes outside of Atlanta and used to belong to one of the more-politics-than-wheeling Jeep clubs that I tried really hard to avoid. I realize he has built his shop to what it is over the course of 5+ years but don't expect to start seeing stainless fridges in my shop anytime soon :smt037

Jeeptech01
03-12-2011, 10:27 AM

Dammit now KuchiZJ is using it in his sig. :rolleyes:

paulkeith
03-12-2011, 12:24 PM
i think OSB painted white will get you 99.9% of the way there as far as brightness is concerned.

autowizard
03-12-2011, 02:08 PM
I would also recamend sealing the floor with a white concrete sealer, it makes cleanup easier and helps to brighten the room further and the sealer is cheap.

AgitatedPancake
03-12-2011, 02:36 PM
I've thought about epoxy/sealer for the garage floor too. I wondered how those things would hold up to welding slag and hot metal pieces. If it wouldn't hold up to that, I'd be a little bit wary but otherwise like the idea!

Katesdad
03-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Nice garage!

biggoofy
03-12-2011, 10:12 PM

Nice haha! The garage looks great man I cant wait to have my own!

autowizard
03-13-2011, 12:49 AM
I work at a busy diesel shop we have a lot of big rigs and custom fabrication jobs, the epoxy sealer holds up well so long as the prep is good we repaint the floors every 5 to 10 years. Non epoxy concrete sealer would work well also such as the water plug sealer you buy at walmart that is what i use on my personal shop and it holds up well.

ATL ZJ
03-22-2011, 09:58 AM
Got a little more done... mostly cleaning and getting the 5' x 7' holes closed up. I decided to install a door in the side of the shop so I don't have to enter through the main garage door all the time. Should keep it a little warmer in there during the winter when I need to go in and out a lot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/photo-27.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/photo2-5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/photo4-1.jpg

I also built a workbench a few weeks ago, right before I moved in. It's already gotten a bunch of use...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/photo7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/photo3-2.jpg

Some wood that I inherited with the house

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/photo6.jpg

And this is where most of my time has gone. The P.O. tore out a wall in the house and left exposed support beams and wiring which I had to relocate. Here's my cover-up job

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/photo5.jpg

BigClay
03-22-2011, 10:10 AM
Not a bad cover up job at all!

Jeeptech01
03-22-2011, 12:04 PM
cool!

ATL ZJ
03-28-2011, 05:42 PM
As of Saturday I have about 5000 lb of fiber cement siding on the way that is being delivered tomorrow. 24 4x10 textured panels and 248 twelve foot 9.25" planks. A portion of that is for the house but the other 55-60% will be going on the garage. Never having done any siding work before, I am looking into what I may need to cut it. I may try the score and snap method on a lot of the straight cuts, but for angles I was thinking about picking this up along with a fiber cement blade. Anyone used this saw before?

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/190932_lg.jpg

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200400975_200400975

95lumberwagon
03-28-2011, 10:46 PM
Kluch is Northern tools comparable entry level like Lowes Hitachi or the Depot's Ryobi. Expect to spend time adjusting the miter saw when you first get it, this is where the price makes a difference. It doesn't sound like you are looking for a top o the line saw so whatever you get just get a good blade :
http://www.forrestblades.com Yes they cost more than your saw but, trust me the blade makes all the difference.

ATL ZJ
03-29-2011, 10:02 AM
Well, due to the width of my material (9"+) and the fact that I will be making a lot of angled cuts means I probably need a sliding miter. Most sliding compound miter saws are $500+ and since I'll really only be using it for a couple months, it would be really hard to justify spending 5x more. The northern saw will end up being $109 after the $20 off coupon I have.

Thanks for the info on the blades. However, I can't find any blades on that site that say they are specifically made for fiber cement. I was looking at grabbing a 6 tooth freud blade designed specially for fiber cement since that is what I'll be cutting. They seem to have a really good reputation too.

zjeepin
03-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Man let me know if you wanna borrow my shears for that stuff, I don't use them very often anymore..

95lumberwagon
03-29-2011, 01:12 PM
Yeah Forrest doesn't make blades for fiber cement just using them as an example of a good miter saw blade. Really for Fiber Cement that Kluch saw and a blade like the Freud or any from Depot or Lowes would work great for what your doing.

ATL ZJ
03-29-2011, 03:40 PM
Man let me know if you wanna borrow my shears for that stuff, I don't use them very often anymore..

Yeah man that would be awesome, I probably do... Do they work on the panels, if I had to rip a foot off the width of one for example?

zjeepin
03-30-2011, 10:27 AM
Yeah man that would be awesome, I probably do... Do they work on the panels, if I had to rip a foot off the width of one for example?

yeah they'll work well for that...

ATL ZJ
04-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Time for a minor update. I finished the interior work in the house and have been able to get some stuff done outside. So far Maggie is enjoying my handiwork.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/photo-28.jpg

I got the whole lower level of the shop wrapped with housewrap. Big thanks to Pearce for coming by and giving me the scaffolding 101 lesson. Fortunately I inherited some from the P.O. The garage door is also in. I ended up getting a much fancier door than I expected after finding a good deal on a new extra door from a local manufacturer on craigslist. It's insulated and has a weather resistant overlay so I won't complain.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/photo1.jpg

I've also been gathering tools, including the Klutch saw and Freud blade as mentioned before. So hopefully I'll make some good progress hanging siding over the next couple weeks.

paulkeith
04-14-2011, 10:21 AM
nice dude! i might get to start one of these soon, but only for a meager 2car attached.

CrawlerReady
04-14-2011, 10:40 AM
Very nice!

zjeepin
04-14-2011, 10:49 AM
the door looks awesome dude..

forgot to ask does the garage apt have any plumbing?

ATL ZJ
04-14-2011, 11:01 AM
Thanks guys... unfortunately it has no plumbing. Not sure why. I have plumbing out in the foundation where they were going to put an addition though, so maybe it could be run out to the shop building later. For now though Elliott's gonna have to use a bucket.

zjeepin
04-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Thanks guys... unfortunately it has no plumbing. Not sure why. I have plumbing out in the foundation where they were going to put an addition though, so maybe it could be run out to the shop building later. For now though Elliott's gonna have to use a bucket.

I'm sure elliot is used to using a thunderpot by now anyway.. dam hippie

It'd be nice to have a sink out there.. i always left a trail of greasy handprints into the house at my old place

SirFuego
04-14-2011, 11:57 AM
I have plumbing out in the foundation where they were going to put an addition though, so maybe it could be run out to the shop building later.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WJGY525FL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Hang it up on a wall, secure the spigot so that it can't move, and put a bucket below it. Water pressure of course isn't great, but it's usually good enough to get your hands clean enough when you need it. I'd imagine that if you pointed a light bulb or work lamp towards the bag, it could probably heat up the water in colder temps.

It's a bit ghetto, but hey, it's better than nothing. For the $10-15 investment, it's a cheap way to hold you over until you can afford to run plumbing into the garage. This was my "sink" in my old garage. Worked well enough to get my hands clean every time. Just needed to empty out the bucket and refill the shower when it got low.

ATL ZJ
04-14-2011, 03:45 PM
It's kinda funny. I just sold a large cast iron sink that was part of the grab back of leftovers that came with the house. I could have used that as a parts washer or a wash station, but at this point I'd rather have the cash.

I'm not so sure about the camp shower but I like the creativity. Eventually I guess I could put a utility sink in the walk-under area beneath the deck to-be since I already have plumbing there. It's just a short walk and there are no doorknobs to get filthy. For a while I'll just be glad to have to worry about having greasy hands... because that will mean the shop is operational.

paulkeith
04-14-2011, 05:10 PM
wouldn't take too much $ or time to just bury one pvc line out there, one hose spigot and up to a shop sink faucet, then just have the sink drain back outside. my dad has had this setup in his place since 96....works great to clean up the hands, fill a water bowl for the pup, etc.

you doing permits for all this work?

ATL ZJ
04-15-2011, 02:06 PM
Sounds like a great project for later on. I'm already about capped out just doing the siding and exterior work. Luxuries can come later. I like to finish my projects :flipoff2:

No permits yet. Will have to pull one for the deck but the rest can sneak by without based on my interpretation of the county requirements. Another reason to wait on the plumbing...

Jeeptech01
04-15-2011, 04:56 PM

Fucking LOL'd tks

paulkeith
04-16-2011, 03:20 PM
I like to finish my projects :flipoff2:

...zing!!

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
04-21-2011, 01:12 PM

Actually I form all of my feces into a compostable paste which I can use as spackle, hair gel, or just throw it in a pot with a potato, some curry... you got yourself a nice stew going!

nazerine
04-26-2011, 03:02 AM
Good start on a wicked garage! Just a heads up when you're cutting the cement board with a carbide saw blade, **wear a dust mask**. n95 or better

http://www.pactool.us/snappershear/ <-- all the products on this page are the tools the pros use, manual shear is nice to use. Nothing wrong with using a mitresaw and 4-6T blade

http://www.pactool.us/geckogauge/index.htm <-- highly recommend you find one of these, or similar product. It will make the job turn out much better with less hassle

Also might consider if you have exterior power outlets buying a carbide jigsaw blade for cutouts

ATL ZJ
04-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Good start on a wicked garage! Just a heads up when you're cutting the cement board with a carbide saw blade, **wear a dust mask**. n95 or better

http://www.pactool.us/snappershear/ <-- all the products on this page are the tools the pros use, manual shear is nice to use. Nothing wrong with using a mitresaw and 4-6T blade

http://www.pactool.us/geckogauge/index.htm <-- highly recommend you find one of these, or similar product. It will make the job turn out much better with less hassle

Also might consider if you have exterior power outlets buying a carbide jigsaw blade for cutouts

Thanks man. I've been wearing a p100 respirator whenever cutting any of it. Trey here lent me the shear and it is really a cool tool. Great for the panels especially. Although the edges can get a little crumbly. It's not a big deal on seams that will get caulked but for any visible cuts I like the finish of a jigsaw blade. Need to find some carbide blades for mine though. I've been using wood blades and the fiber cement absolutely rapes them. Lowes doesn't seem to think anybody cuts fiber cement though. It's pretty comical how bad their selection is when it comes to cutting anything other than wood.

To hang the boards I've been using a set of Malco gauges and I really don't know how I would do it without them.

ATL ZJ
08-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Update. (yes more crappy pics from my ancient iphone 3g)

I've been working on paneling the inside of my garage during the evenings the last couple of weeks. I'm glad I did because coincidentally I lost my trailer storage and long story short that led me to go ahead and bring my rig over earlier this week. The inside is not quite done. Still need to put up a little more insulation and one more panel and get the siding out for it to be fully useable. But I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out. I decided to use smartside engineered wood paneling because it's durable and easy to work with compared to drywall and because I already had several sheets to get me started. The back wall of the shop is beadboard because I had it too. And the two short front walls are actually MaxiTile fiber cement panels. It's overkill but I had leftovers from doing the outside.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/IMG_0941.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/IMG_0942.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/IMG_0943-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/IMG_0948-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/IMG_0950.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/IMG_0947.jpg

for some reason these kobalt sockets were $9 at lowes a couple months back. now they are $40. toolbox is new too, a craftsman cheapy- my first ever real toolbox.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/IMG_0944-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/IMG_0946-1.jpg

There are no outside pics yet but there has been more progress there too. Hopefully the outside will be done within a month or so. Let's hope so because there is still some sheathing exposed that needs wrap and siding bad :rolleyes:

Jeep Whore
08-18-2011, 12:29 AM
Its looking sweet! just wondering..... where is the fridge full of beer gunna go?

PurpleZJ
08-18-2011, 01:09 AM
looks nice man i'm def jealous. i've always wanted a big shop with a 2nd floor i could live in.

Ken L
08-18-2011, 01:53 AM
Cam, you are going to be so glad that you went ahead with the white/light colored walls. It makes it so much brighter and easier to see to work on stuff.

CrawlerReady
08-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Looks real good Cam. How long you gonna keep it that clean? ;)

Pearce
08-18-2011, 10:47 AM

HA, that's funny right there!
But, knowing how much effort you put into it I know you'll keep it clean! Still funny though. :)

cwm
08-18-2011, 08:18 PM
Ive been useing Kobolt tools for years with very good luck, however they used to be made in the USA and they just changed there tool supplier and now there all made in Taiwan!!!
I took a ratchet back to get it replaced and the tool guy didnt believe me until I showed him the lable on the old stuff compared to the new

ATL ZJ
08-18-2011, 09:34 PM
Its looking sweet! just wondering..... where is the fridge full of beer gunna go?

Ha I'm trying to decide. I have the minifridge ready. Even made my brother give it back to me after I loaned it to him with the caveat that I would indian give it in a heartbeat the day I got a shop. I think I want it up off the floor maybe on another shelf/rack but I am having trouble deciding. Til then I can carry my beer back and forth from the house.

Cam, you are going to be so glad that you went ahead with the white/light colored walls. It makes it so much brighter and easier to see to work on stuff.

The awesome part is that is just primer. When/if I paint I will go even lighter so it will get even brighter. And I have a couple bulbs out from a bad ballast too. The pics make it look darker than it is but I want it freakishly bright in there so I never have to mess with droplights etc.

Funny you ask. Thanks to the worlds smallest oil pan I inherited with the house, 30minutes ago I just irrigated the floor with enough 5w30 to make the deepwater horizon spill look tiny.

Ive been useing Kobolt tools for years with very good luck, however they used to be made in the USA and they just changed there tool supplier and now there all made in Taiwan!!!
I took a ratchet back to get it replaced and the tool guy didnt believe me until I showed him the lable on the old stuff compared to the new

Not surprising... sounds about like Craftsman's story. Kobalt is way overpriced unless you find something on sale or priced wrong. Still it's good for the warranty and convenient because I am at lowes way too much. If I ever break a hand socket though I must be doing something stupid. So on second thought good thing there's a warranty :smt037

Jeep Whore
08-18-2011, 10:48 PM
Ha I'm trying to decide. I have the minifridge ready. Even made my brother give it back to me after I loaned it to him with the caveat that I would indian give it in a heartbeat the day I got a shop. I think I want it up off the floor maybe on another shelf/rack but I am having trouble deciding. Til then I can carry my beer back and forth from the house.

option 1: keep getting beer from the house but get and train a dog to open close and get a beer from that fridge.

option 2:train your buddy / kid to do the same thing as option 1

option 3: get a tool box with a fridge in it!

but it might be best up on a shelf unless you need the space if its on your workbench.

paulkeith
08-22-2011, 08:08 AM
nice work cam. I've been trying to get my garage sorted out but i've been going more backwards than forwards the last few weeks

Brad S
10-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Looking good - any updates?

downtowncb
10-20-2011, 09:47 AM
option 1: keep getting beer from the house but get and train a dog to open close and get a beer from that fridge.

This was my roommate's dog in college:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJhnxLoEKYo

Ya, any updates on this sweet garage? Putting it to any use :poke:?

ATL ZJ
10-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Cool dog. mine isn't quite that well trained.

Thanks guys. The shop is coming along and I'll have a real update soon. The good news is that it has finally been welded in. I don't have any big projects but maintenance on the rig between wheeling trips is enough right now.

As funds allow I want to get this shop outfitted with some decent tools. First up I think will be a drill press, but that's still TBD. I want to keep as much floor space as possible because it's nice to be able to have the rig in there and my tow rig for pre-trip maintenance at the same time and still be able to easily walk around both without getting snagged on stuff in the way or tripping over anything.

Nag me again :smt037 if I forget to put pics up within about a month

mtubenzie
10-27-2011, 11:25 AM
Update....you've had like 3 days to get some stuff done. :p.. Nice shop btw. Ready for a 14 bolt party yet?

ATL ZJ
10-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Haha right. I actually did start pulling my front axle apart last night to get ready to replace that slightly leaky axle seal. The good surprise was that the non-neckdown ten factory inner that ECGS sold me isn't twisted yet.

I tested my inherited 1100 btu heater too. I'm ready when you are. :mrgreen:

Brad S
10-28-2011, 10:03 AM
I want to keep as much floor space as possible because it's nice to be able to have the rig in there and my tow rig for pre-trip maintenance at the same time and still be able to easily walk around both without getting snagged on stuff in the way or tripping over anything.

That's a good plan. My goal was to keep everything that was going to be sitting on the floor movable. Obviously small things can be tossed around, but anything of any substantial weight I have put on casters. This allows for easy cleaning and re-arranging if I need to pull something else into the shop.

mtubenzie
10-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Haha right. I actually did start pulling my front axle apart last night to get ready to replace that slightly leaky axle seal. The good surprise was that the non-neckdown ten factory inner that ECGS sold me isn't twisted yet.

I tested my inherited 1100 btu heater too. I'm ready when you are. :mrgreen:

Thats cool... I need to replace them there leaky axle seals too. Do you need a case spreader to get the carrier/ring gear out? Good deal on the shaft not being twisted...its not like your ever bouncing off the rev-limiter or anything :p

We'll start when the snow flys...im gonna wheel this thing till it gets too cold before i tear it apart on purpose.... :)

ATL ZJ
11-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Little update...

I hooked up my inherited 110v shop heater (also air conditioner and dehumidifier) once I found the motivation and the hoses laying around upstairs. I'm pretty excited about this unit. Hopefully I can make some good progress on a few projects I have in mind over the winter months.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/IMG_0997.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/IMG_0998.jpg

Here is also a bunch of stuff taking up space that I will eventually repurpose. The handtruck is a 1970s or maybe earlier version of what people used to use to move massive soft drink machines. I got it from my brother who came by it legally but had no desire to own it. Might have to become an oxy/acetylene cart or something like that. The black dolly next to it, under the sawhorses, is also really heavy duty and I think it would make a great rolling tool stand. Just have to figure out what.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/IMG_0999.jpg

Also I finally got the outside of the building wrapped up. Siding soffit and paint are done. I still need to put up some floodlights where the wires are hanging and put up some permanent handrails on the stairs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/IMG_1011-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/IMG_1013.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/IMG_1017.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/IMG_1012.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/IMG_1023.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/IMG_1024.jpg

Jeep Whore
11-06-2011, 12:37 AM
looking good.

is the upper half a man cave?

CrawlerReady
11-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Jealousy. Looks great man!

ATL ZJ
11-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Thanks guys. Right now the upper half is unfinished and I'm just using it for storage. Within the next year or two I'd like to drywall it, get flooring down and maybe drink beer and play a little foosball up there

mtubenzie
02-04-2012, 07:05 PM
What about an update there Camerooony

ATL ZJ
02-05-2012, 11:46 PM
Not much else has happened man. I added some pegboard

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/IMG_1123.jpg

And organized the left side a little more. Still need to figure out how to maximize floor space
You'll also notice I mounted my bender to the dolly which also needs to be converted to hydro.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/IMG_1124.jpg

Been making deck furniture

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/IMG_1125.jpg

And the new focus is clearing a spot for my trailer. Been burning the wood pile that's in the way.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/IMG_1127.jpg

CrawlerReady
02-06-2012, 12:38 AM
Um....do you use that back staircase? :eek:

ATL ZJ
02-06-2012, 12:57 AM
Yep. It needs railings and stain added which is another upcoming project. The upper landing is cantilevered so it looks scary but it's sturdy. The temporary supports are already gone, replaced by the posts you see pictured. But I still need to tackle the rest of it.

Pearce
02-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Um....do you use that back staircase? :eek:

Heck, that's the improved version! :smt082

And the new focus is clearing a spot for my trailer. Been burning the wood pile that's in the way.

I'm a big fan of this! Good job!.......you knew that was coming. ;)

now hurry up!

ATL ZJ
02-06-2012, 09:40 PM
I'm a big fan of this! Good job!.......you knew that was coming. ;)

now hurry up!

Oh I know I can always count on you for critical encouragement :smt037

I think I am going to have to buy a 4wheeler to move it back there so there is also some wheeling and dealing and money saving involved.

mtubenzie
02-08-2012, 12:11 AM
Oh I know I can always count on you for critical encouragement :smt037

I think I am going to have to buy a 4wheeler to move it back there so there is also some wheeling and dealing and money saving involved.

What about engi-neering a removable front hitch for your rig? Would save you a lot of money if you could use it instead.

Shop is looking good btw. Takes time to organize everything...

ATL ZJ
02-08-2012, 12:54 AM
Spool would tear up the grass I'm afraid.
Say what you will about us city folk and our lawns.
Plus I have a line on a heavily discounted polaris (I know I know) that needs a little work to be up to the task.
Luckily I recently acquired some shop space...

paulkeith
02-08-2012, 07:20 PM
I'd buy a small lawn tractor and throw a hitch ball on it. That's what we used back home to move trailers around, plus it....cuts grass.

Unless you really want to go 4wheelin bo! :flipoff2:

Sudz
02-08-2012, 10:51 PM
nice job http://www.the-jersey-devil.com/bbs/images/graemlins/goodjob.gif

that's a lot of work..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/photo1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/IMG_1013.jpg

ATL ZJ
02-09-2012, 12:09 AM
I'd buy a small lawn tractor and throw a hitch ball on it. That's what we used back home to move trailers around, plus it....cuts grass.

Unless you really want to go 4wheelin bo! :flipoff2:

That's what I was considering originally but I think the cost is similar to the Polaris in question. Plus my lawn is tiny and I have a trusty walk behind. Thanks for the ideas though.

paulkeith
02-09-2012, 10:36 AM
So really you just want a 4wheeler :D

ATL ZJ
02-09-2012, 10:04 PM
So really you just want a 4wheeler :D

No I really don't want to end up paying $600 a year for trailer storage. With a bit of luck and not much more money than that I can have a 4wd backyard tow rig that does more than cut grass.

Besides, 4wheelers are awesome and I really want one :mrgreen:

paulkeith
02-10-2012, 11:51 AM
http://blog.ivman.com/wp-content/RNRidingMower2.jpg

OverkillZJ
02-10-2012, 12:01 PM
^Win.

CrawlerReady
02-10-2012, 01:34 PM
HAHAHA that is awesome.

Jeep Whore
10-29-2012, 01:20 PM
so its almost been a year on this, any updates?

ATL ZJ
10-29-2012, 09:20 PM
Have made a few updates. Mainly my focus has been keeping things organized, adding a few tools I needed and figuring out some decent organization.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/30/tyjapumu.jpg
Pegboard filling up

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/30/hevudavu.jpg
Craigslist find which came loaded with tools. Some not so good, others a nice bonus.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/30/2a4etana.jpg
Added some wall storage for tubing. Just scrap material I had screwed to the studs. I plan to expand this later.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/30/y7y4ypa6.jpg
Hardware storage

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/30/hutetahe.jpg
Corded tool storage. Nice to keep these away from dust and sparks when not in use.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/30/9yquryre.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/30/y5ygehuj.jpg
And a new project for the gf. 1985 wag getting a 5.3 and a 4l60 I rebuilt along with the Tahoe 246 tcase. This deserves its own thread and will hopefully be done in a few months. Been dragging a bit on it with other stuff going on.

paulkeith
11-16-2012, 10:24 AM
Nice progress man. I still need to come spin some wrenches in the new place.

that waggy is going to be the bee's knees too.

ATL ZJ
11-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Thanks man. I'm pretty pumped about the waggy. The hard thing is staying at it. My motivation has twice slumped on it which is something I had never encountered before. Another good solid push and it should be running. Most of the hard parts are done.

Give me a shout if and when you're down this way.

Kraqa
11-20-2012, 12:51 AM
dude this is rad. job well done. i find it hard to focus on doing anythgin to my garage, i walk in there and just want to work on the rig.

the exterior turned out rad.

AgitatedPancake
11-20-2012, 01:46 AM
Damn Cam your garage, and wwaggy are lookin badass! Nice storage and organization in the garage, I'm a big fan of overhead storage. I've got a platform extending off one wall at around 6' 5" tall, extends almost 2' from the wall that holds all sorts of camping gear, stoves and various other things.

Thankfully, the restriction of my two car garage with a dead black WJ parked in one spot will be going away soon. I'm moving into a 3200sq foot shop with two older race guys I've been working alongside for the past year and a half. This is going to be the BEST thing I've had happen in a long time, I can't wait to get it done. Both of them have more knowledge than I could imagine in two different fields (ones a long time fabricator/machinist, one was a drag race chassis/custom engine builder), so I'll be gleaning incredible amounts of info. Alongside that, they are bringing a lathe with digital readout, mill with digital readout, vertical bandsaw, horizontal bandsaw, tube bender, a NICE tube notcher, a frame table and a whole bunch of sheetmetal equipment to the shop. They are giving me full access to everything. Game on :D :D :D

paulkeith
11-20-2012, 09:06 AM
My motivation has twice slumped on it which is something I had never encountered before

ITHAPPENSTOEVERYONEITSPERFECTLYNORMAL

cwm
11-20-2012, 09:51 PM
what headers are those??? Im in the middle of a 6.0 69 C10 swap for my boss and those look nice!!

ATL ZJ
11-20-2012, 09:53 PM
They are sanderson ceramics. They came with a 5.3 that Pearce on the board bought and he could not use them on his YJ. They fit on the old leaf sprung waggy and he made me a deal I couldn't refuse. The only thing I don't like is they have smaller primaries than the hookers on my 6.0 (1.5" vs. 1.625"). Besides that they are about perfect.

just1more19
11-21-2012, 03:43 AM
This makes me wish I had a garage again :flipoff2: Sweet setup and nice use of space.