PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on 2000 - 2003 Volvo & VWs

BigClay
03-02-2011, 04:22 PM
My mom is looking for a new daily driver. For some reason she likes station wagons even though she is retired and has no need for one, but that is another discussion. So I am looking at Volvo station wagons and VW Passat wagons for her. I am not really familiar with either, but not many people make wagons any more.

So what should I avoid in these vahicles and what is desirable? She only has about $8k to spend, so we are talking engines with close to or above 100k miles. So what engines will be best for longevity?

dp96zj
03-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Tell her: "Grand Cherokee = station wagon" :D

BigClay
03-02-2011, 04:47 PM
^ LOL, true!

Ted_Z
03-02-2011, 05:22 PM
How about a Subaru wagon?

BigClay
03-02-2011, 05:36 PM
That could work, hadn't thought about that. What are some of those to stay away from?

Mtn WJ
03-02-2011, 07:02 PM
All I can say is I loved our 04 Volvo XC70 wagon. Very tight car and not one problem.

cLAYH
03-11-2011, 01:45 PM
I like to buy broken messed up cars to fix and flip. Usually do one or 2 a winter. I've done a few subarus now as the factory head gaskets are prone failure or else people don't keep up on the timing belts and they snap. I have to say that little boxer engine is my favorite to work on. Lots of room in the engine bay, well laid out and simple like most Asian cars. Brakes are the easiest EVER! One 12mm bolt. Timing belt pretty easy as well. Only need a 12mm and 14mm socket. Parts are more pricey than most other Asian cars but not bad. All great for the mechainc, however they aren't very exciting to drive. Not the greatest on power, not very sporty, etc.

Now compared to the above Audi/VWs are almost the opposite. Great experience for the driver and nightmare for the mechaic. Timing belts take twice as long as on a Subaru. Uses all sorts of stupid allen head and torx fasteners. Bolts are hidden/not easy to reach. Wiring is ass backwards. Parts are STUPIDLY expensive! Work on VW product right after a Subaru and you'll be regretting it. They are nice to drive though.

paulkeith
03-11-2011, 02:53 PM
I would recommend a BMW 325 wagon. Great engine, great chassis, extremely sporty and fun to drive while still being practical and useful. my mom hauls their dog around in it and gets ~35mpg on the highway. Prone to some minor problems (control arm bushings, rear shock mounts) but most are common enough that repairs are simple and readily available. Budget may be tight though, i believe the earlier ones had some subframe problems fixed in later generations.

JordanA
03-11-2011, 02:57 PM
That could work, hadn't thought about that. What are some of those to stay away from?

The 2000-2004 model Subaru wagons had head gasket issues (it was hit or miss). When I purchased mine, the first thing I asked was about the head gaskets. The subaru dealer I got it from told me they replaced them with the updated gaskets upon receiving the vehicle on a trade in (I guess it was policy due to the issues).

Other than that, the only things to look for are torque bind (which many 249 t-case users are surely familiar with) and to be sure the timing belt was replaced when called for (105K miles). The viscous coupler can go bad with uneven tire wear on the m/t, but it's a quick and easy fix (remove transmission tailshaft, swap out coupler, replace tailshaft).

I see no other issues with the Subaru's. I love mine (but admittedly am getting rid of it since my other half hates the 5-speed), and I would NEVER drive our Jeep or Scout in the snow over the Subaru... no way.

The biggest benefit is that they're inexpensive to maintain (especially when compared to all of the above manufacturers) and SIMPLE to maintain. Just about any decent shop can work on them, and you don't have to worry about high priced specialty mechanics. Plus, I get around 29 mpg (mostly highway) in my subaru.

BigClay
03-11-2011, 09:18 PM
I would recommend a BMW 325 wagon. Great engine, great chassis, extremely sporty and fun to drive while still being practical and useful. my mom hauls their dog around in it and gets ~35mpg on the highway. Prone to some minor problems (control arm bushings, rear shock mounts) but most are common enough that repairs are simple and readily available. Budget may be tight though, i believe the earlier ones had some subframe problems fixed in later generations.

:D she has a 540 wagon right now and loves it, but at 120k it starting to give her problems so that is why she is looking to trade

The 2000-2004 model Subaru wagons had head gasket issues (it was hit or miss). When I purchased mine, the first thing I asked was about the head gaskets. The subaru dealer I got it from told me they replaced them with the updated gaskets upon receiving the vehicle on a trade in (I guess it was policy due to the issues).

Other than that, the only things to look for are torque bind (which many 249 t-case users are surely familiar with) and to be sure the timing belt was replaced when called for (105K miles). The viscous coupler can go bad with uneven tire wear on the m/t, but it's a quick and easy fix (remove transmission tailshaft, swap out coupler, replace tailshaft).

I see no other issues with the Subaru's. I love mine (but admittedly am getting rid of it since my other half hates the 5-speed), and I would NEVER drive our Jeep or Scout in the snow over the Subaru... no way.

The biggest benefit is that they're inexpensive to maintain (especially when compared to all of the above manufacturers) and SIMPLE to maintain. Just about any decent shop can work on them, and you don't have to worry about high priced specialty mechanics. Plus, I get around 29 mpg (mostly highway) in my subaru.

I thought about yours, but my mom cant drive a 5 speed, so that was a deal breaker

paulkeith
03-12-2011, 12:28 PM
That v8 is a pretty problematic engine. their inline sixes are a much more proven and reliable platform IMO. before the 325 touring, my mom had a 95 525 5spd go for 185,000 miles with nothing go but a waterpump. i wouldn't even remotely consider a VW or volvo over a BMW, ESPECIALLY VW. those things are a mess. but to each their own.

K2
03-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Now compared to the above Audi/VWs are almost the opposite. Great experience for the driver and nightmare for the mechaic. Timing belts take twice as long as on a Subaru. Uses all sorts of stupid allen head and torx fasteners. Bolts are hidden/not easy to reach. Wiring is ass backwards. Parts are STUPIDLY expensive! Work on VW product right after a Subaru and you'll be regretting it. They are nice to drive though.

I agree with most of this. I have found some parts are outrageously priced and most are comparable. Working on one is a huge pain as stated that's why they really cost so much to fix. I swapped out every major part on my Jeep including a full drive train swap and the hardest job I have done yet is the clutch in my A4! I also agree that driving my Audi is AWESOME! We were going to sell it and get two cars as we now have another kid, but I have found a sweet deal on a Volvo 850 so the Audi stays. The Volvo needs a little tlc but I don't have it yet so I cant say much more about those.

If your mom is a lesbian than get her a Subie with an Obama sticker. If she has class get her a Volvo or an Audi. BMWs are nice as well, but I have no experience with them.