PDA

View Full Version : Safety Shoes?

ajmorell
02-21-2011, 10:59 PM
I realize most people don't probably have a personal need for them but does anyone have any specific experiences with certain brands? I need a pair for work (up to $200). My main concerns are all day comfort and also being something that I wouldn't mind wearing outside of work. The only stipulation is that they have to have a safety toe (steel, aluminum, composite, etc).

backdoor_artist
02-21-2011, 11:03 PM
do you mean like casual dress shoes or like a pair of sketchers (and yes i know steel toe, just wondering about style)? The tech reps at my job are requiered to ware steel toe shoes at work.

dp96zj
02-21-2011, 11:20 PM
Depends on what you want/need. I was looking for an all-around shoe (boot), that had a steel toe, full leather, waterproof, oilproof/non-slip sole, non-conductive, etc. One that I could wear while offroading and slosh through the mud, and would be wearable in a machine shop. Naturally I chose full height boots.

Got these for $60, and this is my second pair. My first pair lasted for over 6 years, and I literally wore the soles off of them. They're Caterpillar boots, and you can find them at Academy or somewhere similar.

http://www.academy.com/images/products/220/0543/0543-04499-6294-t1.jpg

PilotAustin
02-21-2011, 11:23 PM
Go with an Ariat. Comfortable and affordable. I wear all square toe.

cowboy63b
02-21-2011, 11:24 PM
check here...http://www.conversework.com/shop/category/mens/dutyuniform/military/

i had a pair in iraq, saved my feet more than once

dp96zj
02-21-2011, 11:35 PM
Comfortable and affordable. I wear all square toe.
^It's true. I've seen his personal favorites.

http://villagetack.net/osc/images/Square-toe-pink-shaft-L2667.jpg
http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/Cavenders/OW1839C_1?wid=300&hei=409&op_usm=1.5,1,8,0.jpg

paulkeith
02-22-2011, 12:00 AM
have had good personal experience with Justins boots, and heard good things about timberland's line of professional boots. Probably not super helpful but figured I'd offer up what I know.

it usually runs fine
02-22-2011, 12:09 AM
My ariats lasted a few years in some terrible conditions until I eventually burned the stitching out that holds the sole on. They were about 100$ at academy just go ahead and get some doc sholes and you will be golden. Some brands that I have had and were a waste of money.
1.Redwing= P.O.S boot( don't give a shit what any of you say about them)
2. Dr. Martens are good pretty boy work boots, but will not hang for very long doing real work and the stitches get burned out easily.
3.Tony Lama's are very comfy, but come apart easily if you wear them everyday and fall apart if they get wet.
4. Brazos from walmarts feel like walking on 2x4's all day.
5. Georgia boot's are waterproof, but make your feet sweat and re heavy as fawk.

FortCollinsZJ
02-22-2011, 01:46 AM
I've had to wear steel or composite toe boots at my work, gone through several pairs in a very short time. First pair were craptastic wal mart steel toes, the timberland look a likes. Gave me terrible back problems that kept me up at night and I'm only 22!
Next I had a pair of sears brand (die hard or craftsman, can't recall) again crappy. Seams failing, glue failing, fallen arch support, no good after a few months.
Then I had a pair of my dads old Redwings, they wore like iron. Boots were 15 years old, and not a ripped stitch on them. But had a hard sole, and were heavy as lead. No good.

Now about 9 months ago, I was in at an army surplus, and found a pair of Converse combat boots, with ASME standard composite toes, fit very comfortable, and were light, also a wrap up heal, double stitching, and multi layer leather. I gave them a shot and have loved them since. I wear them daily, work, play, driving, hiking, the works. They work very well in everything but on ice. I am very pleased with them, and have beat on them hard with no signs of failure showing, just major discoloration. :D Most importantly, my back no longer hurts from wearing shitty boots all day on concrete.

May not be exactly what you are looking for, but they are pretty awesome.

http://www.theshoespoint.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/a1839.jpg

rodd88
02-22-2011, 05:01 AM
Ive heard a lot of good things from thos converse shoes. Personally ive always gone a company called Shoes For Crews since I get them from the company I work for. They look like converse, but have a soft toe, but make a steel toe.
The Justins are pretty awesome, my brother wears em all day everyday. Shooting or work or dress.
As far as those Timberlinds, they are pretty awesome, really good boot, isulated, grippy, and they dont blow out. much better than the imitations. But are heavy. Honestly, I hate work shoes. If Vans made a slip on or low low cut shoe that was oil resistant, id wear that instead.

JolleyRoger
02-22-2011, 07:55 AM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=ig&tbs=shop%3A1&q=mens+dr+martens+steel+toe&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

I have a couple of different pair and they are comfy, but not made in the USA.

ajmorell
02-22-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm not on my feet all day every day but want something comfortable to wear if I am. They can be as casual as I want just require a safety toe. I would like something light weight. I have a set of Timberland Pro boots at home that I've had for probably 8 years that have held up really well and are fairly comfortable but they are heavy as hell.

Katesdad
02-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Im afraid safety shoe questions are like motor oil questions. What sucks worse is ordering without trying them on. Metatarsals are the only ones we can wear.

I have tried carolina.......good boot
Worx I think they are from redwing I like and currently wear.
John Deere lol 60 bucks from sportsmans guide.. fit great they are a backup pair.

Kauzi Zj
02-22-2011, 11:34 AM
I have tried several different boots over the years, and once I tried Wolverine Durashocks, Ive never owned anything else. fairly light weight (for steel toed boots) very comfortable, and my feet don't hurt after being in them all day. And they have everything from heavy duty boots, to steel toed "hiking boots" that look more like regular hiking shoes.

http://www.wolverine.com/US/en-US/Gallery.mvc.aspx/G-W-C-L/Work/Categories/Light-Industrial

I didn't see anything on that page over $150.00

ZJ TINS
02-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Work boots/shoes tend to suk in comfort. I have Doc Scholls gel inserts and they make wearing just about anything comfortable.

K2
02-22-2011, 05:48 PM
The pair I am wearing now and would recommend are Converse with composite toe. They are a hiking boot style are lighter than my regular hiking boots. I wear 15s and have narrow feet and these have been the best so far. I dont need them for work but they are waterproof and fit great.

SirFuego
02-22-2011, 07:13 PM
I have a set of Timberland Pro boots at home that I've had for probably 8 years that have held up really well and are fairly comfortable but they are heavy as hell.

I bought a set of them last year and found them extremely comfortable (I have a tough time finding shoes because regular width is normally too narrow and wide is normally too wide -- not to mention my semi-flat feet). Even better was that they were on sale and were the darker brown leather color. I'm not a huge fan of long socks, so the cushioning at the top of the boot is really comfortable even if I'm not wearing long socks. They are somewhat heavy, but it's never bothered me. I normally wear them everyday in the winter.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_067B0037000P?sid=IDx20070921x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=067B0037000P

They were on sale, so I picked up a second pair so that I can have a "nice" pair for everyday stuff and have a pair I can use for wheeling/wrenching and not worry much about keeping clean or nice-looking.

Good to know that they should hold up pretty well.

paulkeith
02-22-2011, 09:53 PM
I can see that combat boots would probably work pretty well. More often than not, any government issue equipment tends to be pretty well thought out, durable, and ergonomic since thats.......what the stuff has to do.

muddy94zj
02-22-2011, 09:57 PM
Wolverine dura shocks. I work for a forest preserve an I'm always on my feet these boots are so comfortable just paid 125 shipped

Jeeptech01
02-22-2011, 10:18 PM
Sears wolverine steel toes. Like $75 a pair and I usually get about 2-4 years out of a pair. I wear them every day at work beat them mercilessly. They are fairly comfortable but the insoles tend to wear out after about a year and they take a few days to break in. I usually replace the insoles with the dr scholls ones. HTH

rodd88
02-23-2011, 02:26 AM
I tried on a set of insoles at the Spira store in the Airport here in EP, they make a HUGE differences, and realign your structure.

ZJ TINS
02-23-2011, 10:04 AM
Danner... my son used them in Afghanistan, very comfortable. They also have work boots (high tops only with toe protection) and they are $125 and up. But you get what you pay for.

ajmorell
02-23-2011, 08:51 PM
Alright well I haven't bought them yet, but I think these are what I'm going to end up with. By far the best combination of lightweight, comfortable, rugged and casual enough to wear out and about.

http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/ss11/shoes/men/industrial/portland/brown!black

Yjsaabman717
12-22-2018, 02:17 PM
This is quite the old thread, but I'll toss in my $.02.

I've had the Sketchers work shoes, with safety toe. I'm an auto tech and on my feet most of the day, so they get worn pretty hard. Comfort was good, but durability was not. They would barely last a year.

The last few years I've been wearing Wolverine boots. I just got a pair of their more traditional work boots and they seem to be wearing in to be very comfortable. I was wearing the more hiking boot style before these. Waterproof, composite toe, no slip, etc. The big plus is that they fit my duck feet well. (Wide at the ball, narrow at the heal.) The hiking boot style would start to blow out the stitching at the sides of the toe in about a year, but they are only about $100/pair. Being for work I'm ok with $100/yr, and I keep the receipt for my taxes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk