PDA

View Full Version : short bed w/ a gooseneck?

BigDaveZJ
01-28-2011, 01:41 AM
Any issues that I might run into? Looks like there's more issues with 5th wheel style campers and such, but I'm looking into getting a gooseneck car hauler and have heard rumblings about issues with short box trucks.

CrawlerReady
01-28-2011, 02:23 AM
We use our Duramax shortbed to tow our 26ft. 5th wheel camping trailer and then my dad's JK behind that when we head to Moab. No issues at all.

PilotAustin
01-28-2011, 03:48 AM
My cousin is having problems with his new Mega cab. We think its because the receiver is not on top of the rear axle and more forward a few inches. I would read more on where is the best position to put the receiver.

Other than that I have pulled with a shortbed before and works great!

jsteves
01-28-2011, 06:08 AM
Previous owner of my truck had a gooseneck hitch right above the rear axle. He only used it a few times he said but had no issues with it. When I was reading about it there were a few people that claimed they felt it unsafe, blah, blah, as the shorter box was less space between you and trailer but I couldn't find any stories of anyone being run over by their own gooseneck.

SirFuego
01-28-2011, 10:21 AM
My only concern -- and I honestly have no idea if this is an actual concern -- is the shorter wheelbase. It may not be a big deal with a single car hauler, but something longer/heavier may pose problems.

I have no experience goosenecks, so perhaps that concern is unfounded, so take my comment for what it's worth -- if anything.

paulkeith
01-28-2011, 10:25 AM
i've ridden in a '01.5 ram 2500 cummins with a short box and gooseneck. towed like a dream. couldn't even tell anything was back there. driver said it was the best truck/tow combo he'd ever driven.

the only concern i can think of is if you've got a larger toolbox and depending on ball location and shape of the gooseneck, you might crunch your toolbox up going uphill.

BigDaveZJ
01-28-2011, 10:28 AM
Cool, I couldn't come up with a scenario where the short box would provide any issue with a GN in my head, so good to hear that they work fine.

As for the wheelbase, the GN I'm looking at is actually shorter than the trailer I'm pulling now (24' vs 26') and I haven't had any issues yet.

Pearce
01-28-2011, 10:34 AM
I've recently installed a GN hitch on my truck and looked into these things. As far as a GN trailer goes there should be no issues due to their design. A 5th wheel on the other hand you're correct you have to watch your turning radius with that big square camper back there not hitting the truck cab. Just be sure your hitch goes in the bed in the right place. I followed the instructions from my B&W hitch for the short bed measurment. It's located slightly in front of the center of the axle. So hopefully they were right! Still don't have the trailer to test with yet, one step at a time.

ATL ZJ
01-28-2011, 10:34 AM
driver said it was the best truck/tow combo he'd ever driven.

I've said a lot of things are the best ever before I knew any better.

not discounting or disagreeing. just an observation about life.

paulkeith
01-28-2011, 05:41 PM
what is this, the philosophiphisizing thread? psh. :flipoff2:

ATL ZJ
01-28-2011, 05:52 PM
what is this, the philosophiphisizing thread? psh. :flipoff2:

my specialty is turning chit chat into tech and tech into chit chat

Mtn WJ
01-28-2011, 06:46 PM
Basically a 4 door truck with a short bed box and a standard cab with a 8ft box have similar wheel bases. Only real issue is clearance between the trailer and the back of the cab.

chadjans
01-29-2011, 01:33 AM
Another thing to consider is your wheelbase. The Dodge Mega Cabs are short boxes on long bed chassis.

I would worry with a fifth wheel especially if it is a sliding hitch. No worries with a gooseneck.

Don't forget to put your tail gate down.

OverkillZJ
01-29-2011, 04:03 AM
Don't forget to put your tail gate down.

:smt077:smt045:smt045:smt045

BigDaveZJ
01-29-2011, 10:25 AM
My tailgate was stolen a few months ago, cheapest replacement I could find was one already notched for a goose.

cLAYH
01-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Proper placement for a GN or fiver hitch is slightly ahead of the rear axle so that you get proper weight distribution to the front axle.

Wheel base isn't an issue. As said the only issue with a 5th wheel is it contacting the cab or the truck. Seen this on a few trucks at the auctions. GNs don't normally have this issue as they have a narrower tapered front but can still contact on a sharp turning backup maneuver.

There are "slider" hitches that let you slide the hitch back to gain more clearance at the cab but they are usually pretty pricey.