PDA

View Full Version : Welding mask light.

albersondh
01-08-2011, 12:55 AM
Got sick of esploding light bulbs in my drop light when welding in close proximity. CFL's (bad news, mercury), and shop/heavy duty incondecnts both are no match. So I made a helmet light for my Optrel. Its a $10 head light from Wal-Mart. This thing is stupid bright for so cheap, its brighter than my Pytzel head light that I use for everything else and paid $60 for.

Havent searched so Im not sure if this is something that is commonly done, but I have never seen it done, granted I dont get out much. It works better than I expected. The hinge on the light allows for great lighting any position. Set the mask down and aim the light and it doubles as a work light. Its velcroed on so I can ditch it when doing TIG in position.

http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae176/rana_alberson/Helmetlight2.jpg

http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae176/rana_alberson/Helmetlight4.jpg

http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae176/rana_alberson/Helmetlight3.jpg

http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae176/rana_alberson/Helmetlight.jpg

chadjans
01-20-2011, 11:52 PM
What are you welding that requires a light on it while operating a mig gun?

Try changing the lens covers.

AgitatedPancake
01-21-2011, 04:28 AM
Well I definately like this idea! More light always helps, especially if you're trying to hold two peices in some sort of alignment, being able to see the accuracy is key

FearTheDentist
01-21-2011, 09:36 AM
What are you welding that requires a light on it while operating a mig gun?

Try changing the lens covers.

I often like full-face protection when I'm working under my heap looking up, have had greasy chunks of dirt in my face one too many times. That's one of those "now why didn't I think of that" ideas, think I'll be adding a light to my mask this weekend.

TheCompound
01-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Headed to Walmart to get a head lamp tonight!
-TheCompound

chadjans
01-24-2011, 02:19 AM
Ambiant and direct light really screw with my Miller Autodark helmet. Very thankful it has a X Mode for welding outdoor, seems to help with the lighting issues. Be wery of this mod with cheaper auto dark helmets. You will find that that it doesn't darken or is too sensitive.

I will say it again. If you have a hard time seeing, change the cover lenses.

AgitatedPancake
01-24-2011, 02:32 AM
Does your miller have adjustable sensitivity Chad? I run a miller helmet and never have a problem with the darkening timing I can't fix with the helmet sensitivity. Hell I've only adjusted it once or twice in the 5 years I've been using it. I love to have a ton of light on my work surface, pretty much always have a flashlight handy. This mos is great, and will be great because you'll never block your work light and cast shadows on the area your welding!

albersondh
01-28-2011, 02:20 PM
I used the same lens for 5 years without a change. Im very carefull with it, clean it regularly in a manner that keeps scratches and nicks to a minimum. When I finally changed it, I noticed a little difference. Added the light, noticed a lot of difference.

My Optrel does have a sensitivity adjusment. I often have to adjust the sensitivity or adjust my viewing angle to keep the auto-dark in check due to too much dierect light setting it off. The Optrel with mask light has not show this to be an issue at all. I believe it is due to the fact that it is not providing direct light towards the auto dark mechanism that is designed to switch on with direct light.

Murphy's #6 law of war. If its stupid, but it works, its not stupid.

I would agree with anyone thinking this looks stupid/simple.

indy242003
01-28-2011, 09:10 PM
I think it's a great idea! I'm going to make one of these myself. the only thing I don't like is how far it sticks out from the hood. Something a little lower profile would work for me.

I always have trouble welding at night by myself. You just can't get enough light on it until you strike an arc, and most of the time it's night when you're repairing something you broke on the trail. Anyone that has done this at night at the campground knows this would have been handy to have.

chadjans
01-29-2011, 01:30 AM
I used the same lens for 5 years without a change. Im very carefull with it, clean it regularly in a manner that keeps scratches and nicks to a minimum.

When I finally changed it, I noticed a little difference. Added the light, noticed a lot of difference.

It is the off-gassing of the welds that destroy the optical clarity of the cover lenses, for they are just plastic. Some heaving civil structural steel welders I have had the pleasure of working with would change their lenses anywhere from once a day to once a week. The photos of your cover lens show it is NEED of replacement. Looks like it would be the same as looking through a pile of dirt.

This statement would worry me if it were my eyes.

albersondh
01-29-2011, 11:09 AM
It is the off-gassing of the welds that destroy the optical clarity of the cover lenses, for they are just plastic. Some heaving civil structural steel welders I have had the pleasure of working with would change their lenses anywhere from once a day to once a week. The photos of your cover lens show it is NEED of replacement. Looks like it would be the same as looking through a pile of dirt.

WTF do you think Im making this shit up or what. The light helps a hell of a lot more than a clean lens, end of story. I changed my lens right before I did the light and the improvment was less than what I was hopeing for. Not to mention the benifit of not having to fuck with drop lights, flash lights, and not having to deal with the potential exploding bulb, little to no shadow cast, ect, ect. But yea lets get crazy about my filthy lens.

If you can afford to change a lens every day or week or whatever, great, go on with your bad self. 5 years was seriously pushing it and thats why I swapped the lens before spending time/money on the light. Im a cheap bastard and will push shit as far as I can. Also consider, Im a desk jocky these days, so my 5yrs on a single lens and your 5yrs may be very different. If I made my living in part or fully by welding obviously things would be different.

The lens that your refering to in the pics that "NEEDS" replacement was one day new in those pics. You cannot tell the actual quality of the lens from a pic on the internet. Its covered with grinding dust and shit in those pics. What an epic waste of my time justifying a good idea because your hung up on a dirty lens....

AgitatedPancake
01-29-2011, 01:19 PM

Are you kidding, do you argue for the sake or arguing? Seriously? You can go ahead and say that a new lense is better than a well lit work area all you want, but I don't think you're going to get just about anyone to agree with you. You're so adamant about the new lense being the issue it almost sounds like your AGAINST having a well lit work area...I just can't understand your train of thought.

chadjans
01-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Are you kidding, do you argue for the sake or arguing? Seriously?

You can go ahead and say that a new lense is better than a well lit work area all you want, but I don't think you're going to get just about anyone to agree with you.

You're so adamant about the new lense being the issue it almost sounds like your AGAINST having a well lit work area...I just can't understand your train of thought.

Sure, why not.

Re-read my statements. I said nothing about a clean lens being BETTER than a well lit work area. Keep reading what you want.

I have nothing AGAINST a well lit work area. His cover lens looks like crap.

albersondh
01-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Is it your pride thats causing you to push your moot point? I have explaind what I found with a dirty lens, and then a clean lens, your point is not relevant to this discusion, and is so obvious its almost insulting. No shit, dirty lens is hard to see through, wheels are fucking round, grass is green, if butterflys had .50-cals birds wouldnt fuck with them, what an epic revelation.

chadjans
01-29-2011, 03:37 PM
The sky is blue, dirt is brown, blah, blah and blah.

You posted a photo on a public forum of your welding helmet with a newly attached light with a dirty cover lens complete with grinding dust and yellowing and said it helps to see with said light.

There is a correlation between ability to see and a dirty lens. :smt100

Cover lenses for my Miller helmet are 2 dollars each but to each is own.

albersondh
01-29-2011, 04:36 PM
The sky is blue, dirt is brown, blah, blah and blah.

You posted a photo on a public forum of your welding helmet with a newly attached light with a dirty cover lens complete with grinding dust and yellowing and said it helps to see with said light.

There is a correlation between ability to see and a dirty lens. :smt100

Cover lenses for my Miller helmet are 2 dollars each but to each is own.

Your "correlation" became irrelevant after post 8.:

"I used the same lens for 5 years without a change. Im very carefull with it, clean it regularly in a manner that keeps scratches and nicks to a minimum. When I finally changed it, I noticed a little difference. Added the light, noticed a lot of difference."

You continue to argue, and on two more occasions, I explain the same shit, for a totall of three times.

Post 11.:

"WTF do you think Im making this shit up or what. The light helps a hell of a lot more than a clean lens, end of story. I changed my lens right before I did the light and the improvment was less than what I was hopeing for."

Post 14.:

"I have explaind what I found with a dirty lens, and then a clean lens, your point is not relevant to this discusion, and is so obvious its almost insulting."

This is about a light, not a lens, you want to talk about the benifits of a clean lens why dont you start a new thread, sounds very exciting.

Im waiting on parts at the moment so not much going on in the shop. Swapping shit with you is making for some cheap entertainment, your a real hoot.

chadjans
01-29-2011, 05:44 PM
What an epic waste of my time justifying a good idea because your hung up on a dirty lens....

This is about a light, not a lens, you want to talk about the benifits of a clean lens why dont you start a new thread, sounds very exciting.

Let's justify your dirty lens then. :rock:

What an epic waste of my time

Swapping shit with you is making for some cheap entertainment, your a real hoot.

So what is it? Nice double talk.

This is funny.

albersondh
01-29-2011, 06:10 PM
Wow, now your really trying hard. I feel embarassed for you. Keep jumbeling up my comments, eventualy Im sure you will come up with something that may make you not look like an ass....

I agree you are funny.

chadjans
01-29-2011, 06:25 PM
Wow, now your really trying hard.

I feel embarassed for you.

Keep jumbeling up my comments, eventualy

Im sure you will come up with something that may make you not look like an ass.... I agree you are funny.

Not really, just quoting what you typed.

Thanks.

Again, just quoting what you typed.

Now, you are getting tough behind your keyboard. Are you like this in real life, or just e-tough?

albersondh
01-30-2011, 01:52 AM
Now, you are getting tough behind your keyboard. Are you like this in real life, or just e-tough?

E-tough only. How about you? Im not really sure at what point you decided my tone went that way. I thought it was a pretty logical progresive exchange given the annoying situation. Pulling out the big guns with the "e-tough" non-sense? What a silly thing to ask, like it would matter either way....

5.9 ANDY
02-20-2011, 03:00 PM
now now children, thats enough... kiss and make up.

bunch of fucking babies, holy shit.

chadjans
02-20-2011, 11:05 PM
now now children, thats enough... kiss and make up.

bunch of fucking babies, holy shit.

This adds as much value to the thread as my posts.

Post count padder.

JordanA
02-21-2011, 10:52 AM
I think it's obvious...

While having a well lit work area is great and conducive to producing higher quality work as would be welding in the dark, having a clean lens is also very important and possibly equally so.

The point is to be able to see what you're doing. Keep your lenses clean and the lights on, and all will be right in the world.