PDA

View Full Version : 1/2" Corded drill: What are you using?

squashman702
12-27-2010, 11:23 PM
It'll be used for light fab work and other projects. Thinking corded so I don't have to deal with batteries, unless cordless is strongly reccomended. I have $200 in Home Depot gift cards, so preferably something that comes from/can be ordered through them. Any suggestions?

it usually runs fine
12-27-2010, 11:39 PM
I have had a milwaukee industrial for like 12 years and it is still awsome.

ATL ZJ
12-27-2010, 11:44 PM
I'm rocking the HF special. HF VSR, I think it was $35 or so. It's about as quiet as a freight train but it's given a couple years of great service. I am on the lookout for a good quality drill press to help take over a lot of the drilling though.

ArloGuthroJeep
12-28-2010, 12:18 AM
Sorry, not Home Depot, but check out the 4 tabs on this page: http://www.tooliday.com/

Have amazing deals on there. Bought some stuff on there a couple times with happy results so far:) I see drills on there regularly, normally Dewalt which I am happy with.

BigDaveZJ
12-28-2010, 12:21 AM
I'm rocking the HF special. HF VSR, I think it was $35 or so. It's about as quiet as a freight train but it's given a couple years of great service. I am on the lookout for a good quality drill press to help take over a lot of the drilling though.

Yup. I'd rather put the money into a good drill press than a handheld drill.

FearTheDentist
12-28-2010, 12:41 AM
I've got a DeWalt DW130V and a Milwaukee something-or-other with1/2" chucks. The DeWalt definitely has more power but also is pretty bulky. I really don't care much for the Milwaukee for every day use as it's pretty heavy and offers no real advantage over any of the 3/8" chuck drills I have, except on the rare occasion I need the extra power and the DeWalt is too cumbersome. If you're looking at household and light fab use do you really need the bigger chuck? I don't do a lot of fab work so can't really say how much of a bonus it is in that capacity, but i do a ton of woodworking and home improvement type stuff and don't often need the larger chuck- pretty much only when I'm using a paint/mortar mixing bit or a large auger bit for running plumbing or electrical. The added weight of the larger drills may not seem like much, but it can be a real nuisance when you're working in an awkward position etc., and you don't usually need the extra power. You might find a high quality 3/8" drill more versatile and thus more useful, and with the $$ you save you can get yourself a nice bit set too.

Now if you want to talk drill presses, I've got a powermatic pm2800 and that thing is tits :D

ATL ZJ
12-28-2010, 01:50 AM
You absolutely need a chuck bigger than 3/8" for any kind of mild fab. Half the drilling I do is 7/16" or larger and reduced shank bits get expensive. But I agree that plain old 3/8" is plenty for happy homeowner stuff.

Technohead
12-28-2010, 11:17 AM
I have a DeWalt. Got a solid 5+ years on it so far.

Sudz
12-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Makita Model 6302 / compact, powerful / bought it several years ago

I also have a Delta 17-900 1/2" 12-Speed Drill Press (floor stand style)

edit: added link --> http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?ID=345

http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae93/ZJSudz/Junk%20Drawer/100_3665.jpg

Mtn WJ
12-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Another vote of Milwaukee drills. My corded drills are all Milwaukee and have a ton of power. I left one outside in the garden after working on the fence and thought I lost it. 3 months later I found it. Still works great, even after watering every three days and dirt in it.

Honestly I have had good luck with cheaper power tools but not with ultra cheap power tools. Ryobi makes a 1/2 inch drill that is ok but no Milwaukee or DeWalt. You might be able to get a drill and a compact drill press for a little over 200 bucks at Homers. But if you plan to use them a lot then pony up.

albersondh
12-28-2010, 12:46 PM
I have this: http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=1199VSR
https://mdm.boschwebservices.com/MDMCache/English%20[US]/t06/0000000/r00538v6.jpg

Its a dual mode hammer drill so it kills two birds sort of thing. This thing will snatch your ass up and flip you on your head. Its kind of scary, and seriously will hurt you if your not carefull.

DeWalt, Bosch, Milwaukee, Maketa, investment tool quality.

squashman702
12-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Looks like Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita are all on the same playing field. Any reason to avoid a hammer drill? From my understanding, it looks like it's no benefit in fabrication, but may be helpful in homeowner use (probably a couple years off for me, but still something I want to keep in mind.)

CurtP
12-28-2010, 02:14 PM
If you have a pawn shop near you, check to see what they have. I've found some really nice power tools at the pawn shop for next to nothing. I've sometimes had to do some maintenance on them, but usually nothing more than replacing the brushes.

albersondh
12-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Looks like Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita are all on the same playing field. Any reason to avoid a hammer drill? From my understanding, it looks like it's no benefit in fabrication, but may be helpful in homeowner use (probably a couple years off for me, but still something I want to keep in mind.)

My Bosch (above pic) is "dual mode". It has straight drill, and hammer drill mode. Its like two for the price of one.

FearTheDentist
12-28-2010, 11:11 PM
Another vote of Milwaukee drills....Still works great, even after watering every three days and dirt in it.

I've got a Milwaukee right angle drill I dropped in a slat water fish tank (doh!) that's still with me. I rinsed it in a bucket of water for a few minutes, sprayed it thoroughly w\ some WD40 and left it in the Az sun for a few days, 3 years later it still works great :D I may not use the 1\2" one much, but there's no arguing with the quality of their stuff.

paulkeith
12-29-2010, 12:10 AM
I think its kind of up to your intended use. A cordless drill is tough to beat for all around handy-ness, then a corded drill is kind of necessary if you find yourself doing any masonry type stuff (lag bolts, mounting benders, yadda), and if you're talking a lot of fab, suspension brackets, tabs, brackets, etc, you'll probably be happiest with a drillpress.

My dad and I have both had great results with dewalt cordless drills and our craftsman drillpress is going strong after 14 years of decent use. Corded drills is another story, we've had OK results with dewalt corded drills, i bought him that nice bosch posted up a ways which actually didn't last that long (despite being a fucking monster....bent a 9/16" drill bit with it, almost broke my wrist), but he most recently bought something more hammer-drill oriented since most of the work we used the corded drill for was masonry/hammerdrill type applications.

Mtn WJ
12-29-2010, 12:24 AM
I've got a Milwaukee right angle drill I dropped in a slat water fish tank (doh!) that's still with me. I rinsed it in a bucket of water for a few minutes, sprayed it thoroughly w\ some WD40 and left it in the Az sun for a few days, 3 years later it still works great :D I may not use the 1\2" one much, but there's no arguing with the quality of their stuff.

What were you trying to do to the Fish that made you drop it in the water?

FearTheDentist
12-29-2010, 12:59 AM
What were you trying to do to the Fish that made you drop it in the water?

Uhhhh...35%
:D

Actually I was adding a couple of hard-plumbed jets to the back of the tank (in a reef tank more turbulence = gooder). Transferring the critters is a good way to stress them, especially corals, so just drained the tank about 60% so I could work above the water line, then promptly dropped my drill in. F'n brilliant.

Mtn WJ
12-29-2010, 01:18 AM
And you say were trying not to stress the fish out. Interesting way of going about it.

Jrgunn5150
12-29-2010, 05:44 AM
I rock a Black and Decker it was like 30 bucks lol. I also have a Millport though lol.

ZJ TINS
12-29-2010, 11:06 AM
tool comparison my tool store (http://www.mytoolstore.com/compare/cptools.html)

jsteves
12-29-2010, 12:08 PM
I have a 3/8 and 1/2 dewalt and neither has given me any hassle. I like having both. Use the 3/8 when I can as it is lighter and better balanced. 1/2 when I have to.

squashman702
01-02-2011, 11:06 PM
I ended up going with the Milwaukee Magnum in 1/2" and a Milwaukee 12A corded sawzall. Used both over the weekend and I am definitely pleased with the purchase.

whowey
01-03-2011, 12:16 PM
I have a Dewalt with a keyless chuck... it is the biggest POS on the planet. The chuck never stays tight, and its a hard plastic rather than a steel chuck. It mostly sits on the shelf in the garage for when I think to buy a non-suck chuck for it.

Brad S
01-03-2011, 01:43 PM
I also have a Dewalt 1/2" but mine has the metal chuck with key. I love it. It has all the power and torque at low speeds that I could ever ask for.

AgitatedPancake
01-03-2011, 01:54 PM
I have a dewalt with the 1/2" metal chuck and key, it's a torquey mother fugger for sure! The honest truth though, I actually preferr using the 19.2 volt craftsman for 99% of everything I do, unless it just flat out doesnt have the power (hardly EVER).

The reason I like it? (besides the comfortability of a cordless), is it has a built in brake so it stops IMMEDIATELY when you let off the trigger. The dewalt spins down, and still has a shit ton of momentum behind it. I've broken 3 bits in the dewalt including a step bit because as soon as I punched through what I was drilling, I'd let off, but the bit was still spinning with some good momentum and LOVES to catch the edge of the hole you just drilled.

CurtP
01-03-2011, 08:48 PM
I have a Dewalt with a keyless chuck... it is the biggest POS on the planet. The chuck never stays tight, and its a hard plastic rather than a steel chuck. It mostly sits on the shelf in the garage for when I think to buy a non-suck chuck for it.

Replace the chuck. Jacobs makes some nice chucks that aren't too expensive. What model DeWalt? McMaster has a Jacobs chuck listings for a bunch of DeWalt drills.

whowey
01-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Replace the chuck. Jacobs makes some nice chucks that aren't too expensive. What model DeWalt? McMaster has a Jacobs chuck listings for a bunch of DeWalt drills.

Replacing the chuck was always my plan.. But its been pretty much relegated to the shelf on the garage unless I really need the extra zoot it has over my 18v Craftsman(Ryobi) cordless.