PDA

View Full Version : Good Large Variety Tap & Die Set

downtowncb
12-27-2010, 08:14 PM
I recieved this Craftsman tap and die set for Christmas. It's pretty nice but I wish it had a bit more in the small sizes. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it yet or not. Can anyone recommend an alternative set that they are happy with?

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d133/dtcb70/3b92b3ea.jpg

ATL ZJ
12-27-2010, 08:48 PM
Is it one of the newer craftsman sets made in china? If so, the quality may be mediocre, probably on par with Irwin etc that lowes and hardware stores carry. Over the past couple years, I've become somewhat of a tap snob after having a bunch of trouble with shitty taps. It's one category where you really do get what you paid for. When I figured that out, I started buying individual taps on an as-needed basis, to spec, from mcmaster. They sell a variety of brands, but the one I've been happiest with is greenfield. They're an old school, USA manufacturer of high quality cutting tools, located in the part of MA that is the historical hotbed of quality tap and diemakers. Their sets will probably outlive you, but they retail for $1000+, so I've only been buying them piecemeal. Still, it's cool to have a handful of really nice cutting tools that I handpicked for the purpose (# of flutes, length, thread fit, taper style- bottoming etc), even if I do just own the common sizes for now.

downtowncb
12-27-2010, 08:53 PM
I sure hope these aren't made in China! It was like $140 after tax!

96JGCL
12-27-2010, 10:17 PM
kennametal / greenfield

I do what ATL ZJ does, buy piecemeal when i need it, but i go through the Kennametal Rep at work.

Ive used their CNMG / TNMG / VNMG / WNMG cemented carbide inserts on numerous occasions and theyve blown everything else out of the water. Their taps are no different. Youve got to do something on the borderline of retarded to break those puppies

chadjans
12-27-2010, 10:26 PM
What is the part number of the set you are showing? I beleive the larger sets they still sell are US made.

I have a 30 year old Craftsman set that were given to me and I am sure will go to someone else.

chadjans
12-27-2010, 10:35 PM
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-38458.html

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-79048.html

ZJ TINS
12-27-2010, 11:09 PM
american made (http://www.tptools.com/p/1320,176_Champion-Tap-and-Die-Sets.html)

downtowncb
12-28-2010, 12:36 AM
Sure enough in fine print on the back is a "made in china", such BS. It's going back tomorrow. Ive had a tap break in an engine block before and it was a nightmare to remove, not looking to repeat that mess.

Jeeptech01
12-28-2010, 02:08 PM
I have an irwin hanson tap and die set that is pretty kickass. It is a 76 piece set and has done most everything I have needed it to. I have had to buy some of the larger npt taps separately though.

CrawlerReady
12-28-2010, 02:15 PM
Sure enough in fine print on the back is a "made in china", such BS. It's going back tomorrow. Ive had a tap break in an engine block before and it was a nightmare to remove, not looking to repeat that mess.

Could just mean that the case it's in is made in China. But if they don't specify anywhere Made in USA then they're probably not.

downtowncb
12-28-2010, 02:49 PM
Could just mean that the case it's in is made in China. But if they don't specify anywhere Made in USA then they're probably not.

On the back of several pieces such as the thread gauges it says China too.

SirFuego
12-28-2010, 03:40 PM
The thing that sucks about this is that the "average" consumer doesn't really have a choice for buying USA made store brand tools anymore. I'll gladly pay a little extra for most things if it means that it's made in the USA, but I honestly don't expect any store brand tool to be made in the USA unless it's a "basic" tool like a ratchet, socket, wrench or hammer.

It seems that only the "professional" brands like Snap-On are the only ones today that carry a complete line of USA made hand tools (or at least don't BS you about the country of origin). The problem is that they are generally priced outside of my budget since the return on investment (or convenience -- I can't just hop in the truck and run to the SnapOn store on Sunday afternoon to replace a broken tool) just isn't there. Even the Chinese stuff (not including Harbor Freight) will generally be of high enough quality to hold up to the projects I need it for.

ATL ZJ
12-28-2010, 04:02 PM
It seems that only the "professional" brands like Snap-On are the only ones today that carry a complete line of USA made hand tools

Read Chad's link on Snap-on cutting tools. According to that, they are made by Irwin Hanson, which is supposedly made in the US, but the quality is definitely inferior to the old school industrial quality brands. The last Irwin tap I used was surprisingly OK, but then again it was brand new, and I made sure to keep it well lubricated. I'm pretty religious about lubricating cutting tools, but a lot of the time when you have people helping you in your shop, are they? I sometimes wonder how much abuse friends unwittingly inflict on my tools, and I on theirs... :smt037 ...I'm fully expecting to catch an earful on that one.

The problem is that they are generally priced outside of my budget since the return on investment (or convenience -- I can't just hop in the truck and run to the SnapOn store on Sunday afternoon to replace a broken tool) just isn't there. Even the Chinese stuff (not including Harbor Freight) will generally be of high enough quality to hold up to the projects I need it for.

That's kind of illogical... if you can't break the China special, why would you worry about having to return/replace a higher quality USA-made tool? And like downtowncb said, a lot of the frustration lies in where the shitty tool broke, not the broken tool itself. That dark corner at the back of engine bay in a tapped hole in the cylinder head, that I can only reach on my tiptoes, is the last place I want to store one of my taps...

I'll rock dollar wrenches, a HF press, cheapo sockets, and import tin snips, but some tools are worth buying the best of...

CurtP
12-28-2010, 09:12 PM
I have a USA made Craftsman set I bought a few years ago. I just did a Google search and found it on eBay for $90. Part number 952381, 50pc set. The thread gauges in the kit say "Made in Germany". All the handles, taps and dies say "USA" on them. The only thing that isn't marked is the small flat-head screwdriver.

Sad to see the new Craftsman stuff being made in China. If I want Chinese crap, I go to Harbor Freight, not Sears.

slim616
12-28-2010, 09:45 PM
I run the HF kit that ive had for almost 3 years. For doing minor stuff like cleaning up threads it works perfect.

downtowncb
12-28-2010, 09:58 PM
I have a USA made Craftsman set I bought a few years ago. I just did a Google search and found it on eBay for $90. Part number 952381, 50pc set. The thread gauges in the kit say "Made in Germany". All the handles, taps and dies say "USA" on them. The only thing that isn't marked is the small flat-head screwdriver.

Sad to see the new Craftsman stuff being made in China. If I want Chinese crap, I go to Harbor Freight, not Sears.

Thanks, I'll scope it out on eBay.

ATL ZJ
12-28-2010, 10:35 PM
I run the HF kit that ive had for almost 3 years. For doing minor stuff like cleaning up threads it works perfect.

I'm ashamed to say I have the same HF kit. Bought it a long time ago and it's absolute garbage IMO. And in fact, really...

I will attest to the older craftsman sets being good. I bought a couple of their USA made metric taps for a project 5 years ago and they're really decent. A friend of mine bought complete standard and metric sets almost 10 years ago and they all still work great. Only thing is, I bet they'd give you a Chinese one if you ever tried to warranty one...

chadjans
12-28-2010, 11:18 PM
Only thing is, I bet they'd give you a Chinese one if you ever tried to warranty one...

Craftsman taps and dies are not lifetime warrantied.

China has upped their quaility the last few years on some select things. Chinese manufactures are using the same Haas and Mori Seki machine centers that US manufactures use. The issue lies with the materials they choose.

I purchase stuff based on perceived quality and need. If it comes from China so be it.

Don't get me started on HF round shaft screwdrivers.

ATL ZJ
12-29-2010, 12:05 AM
Craftsman taps and dies are not lifetime warrantied

good to know. in that case, they'd probably just give you a dirty look, which is worth about as much.

I think you're right though, there is a world of difference between HF and a lot of the better products that are coming out of China. Some are decent but in general the material and quality control are hit or miss.

slim616
01-02-2011, 12:56 PM
I'm ashamed to say I have the same HF kit. Bought it a long time ago and it's absolute garbage IMO. And in fact, really...

Sometimes having something that works allright is better then not having something at all. For instance an all wheel drive subaru will get you a lot further in the snow then a two wheel drive jeep. Sides not all of us are a mcmaster depot way stop:)

ZJ TINS
01-02-2011, 11:10 PM
My company has been through hell an gone for machined parts, metals, and tool sets. While China is getting 'better' they fundamentally do not have the controls in place for material specifications. There are a multitude of lawsuits leading back to China (and stopping dead due to the Chinese definition of free market and legal system, ... or lack thereof.) When possible I do not buy Chinese anything. I also know for a fact companies are learning China is not a good deal and are finding alternatives including bringing it back to the good ol USA. Taiwan for sure and Mexico seems to be gaining in corporate trust. Some Korean, most Japanese (but watch it some is made in China too). Spanish stinks as does made in Italy. Germany is up an down as is the British.
Malaysia does a tremendous number of chips and excellent circuit cards.

downtowncb
01-03-2011, 01:24 AM

I bought that one you recommended Curt, thanks. It had a larger selection than the original and it's made in the USA!