PDA

View Full Version : Grand Slam Midwest 2011

indy242003
12-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Badlands? You tell me where you want GSMW this year.

Alright guys, I guess I'm going to take on the challenge of setting up GSMW this year. I don't want the Midwest guys to get cheated out of a group event again this year. I am originally from Indiana and always travel back for this event. It will be a little tricky to organize from 550 miles away, but I'll make it work. I'm looking right now for a time frame in which to have the event. I think mid-fall would be better than the Memorial Day weekend it has been in the past. With the indy 500 going on and unpredictable weather during that time of year, fall looks good to me. Besides that, GSMW needs a whole new game plan. It started off strong, and has faded in attendance, and organization. Of course there will be t-shirts for sale, and I'm also leaning towards an awards ceremony with trophies for different accomplishments or disasters that happened during the ride. Most of the previous events came with complaints of everyone just running trails at random and no one knew where the other groups were. I’d like to keep the groups together with mandatory drivers meetings twice a day. This will give everyone a chance to get organized and know what trails are going to be run, by what groups. This way if and when you have to run back to the camp ground to work on your rig, you’ll be able to jump right into the action with the rest of the group. Most of the time we had a group supper back at the camp ground. I may change that to all of us going somewhere in the neighboring area out to eat Saturday night. I have a bunch of ideas floating around and this should be an event to remember.

I am open to all ideas and would encourage all of the attendees to let me know what they want. I would like to get some sponsors for some prizes to be given away. Parts, gear, swag, ect, would be great. I will need some help to get everything in order. It’s your event. Let me know how you want it. I will welcome all ideas, and help we can get.

I will update this thread when new news comes available.

Thanks,

Jim Bailey

SirFuego
12-15-2010, 03:15 PM
What are options other than the Badlands? I've been wanting to go there, but I also am not aware of other options. I don't know if I'll make it out this year, but I definitely want to make it out at some point -- especially since it should be a relative easy drive.

rstrucks
12-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Hmmmm. Badlands isn't that far from me and I have wanted to ride there for a while. Depending on when it is I may be able to make it. I like the mid fall idea.

Good luck Jim.

indy242003
12-15-2010, 03:42 PM
What are options other than the Badlands? I don't know if I'll make it out this year, but I definitely want to make it out at some point -- especially since it should be a relative easy drive.

Jared,

There are a few other spots in IN, IL, MO, but I don't know how much attendance we would have. The Badlands has always been a great place to ride in Indiana. It's close enough to Illinios to pull riders from there. I think the reason it's always been the Badlands is because of the diversity of terrain and a Jeep on 32-33" tires doesn't get stuck watching half the day. I want to get the planning done early, so everyone can schedule the days on the calender. I look for some other options and throw them out and you guys tell me what you want.

indy242003
12-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Hmmmm. Badlands isn't that far from me and I have wanted to ride there for a while. Depending on when it is I may be able to make it. I like the mid fall idea.

Good luck Jim.

Ryan,

I'll let you know solid dates as soon as I talk with the parks and check with the event schedule they have. I'm going to check into some other options as well. Wheelin' in the Badlands in the summer time is brutal! I'n the rock quarry, dusty as hell, smoldering in the heat, with no wind, makes for a miserable time.

IndyZJ
12-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Jared,

There are a few other spots in IN, IL, MO, but I don't know how much attendance we would have. The Badlands has always been a great place to ride in Indiana. It's close enough to Illinios to pull riders from there. I think the reason it's always been the Badlands is because of the diversity of terrain and a Jeep on 32-33" tires doesn't get stuck watching half the day. I want to get the planning done early, so everyone can schedule the days on the calender. I look for some other options and throw them out and you guys tell me what you want.

This. IMO, the Badlands are the best place I know of for the diversity in our rigs, especially if we're going for big attendance numbers to get this thing going again. They have trails and obstacles for every level of rig, and a lot of diverse terrain between the quarry and all of the trails that run through the woods (and some sand dunes). Even on the easy trails, there are usually harder obstacles close by. I've been there and had fun in anything from stockers to buggies. Plus, it's only 45 minutes from me :D

Of course, if anybody has any better ideas location-wise I would be there, too. I like the idea of early to mid fall. The weather is usually pretty nice from September through mid October.

IndyZJ
12-15-2010, 04:28 PM
Wheelin' in the Badlands in the summer time is brutal! I'n the rock quarry, dusty as hell, smoldering in the heat, with no wind, makes for a miserable time.

This, too. The quarry isn't much fun from mid June through most of August.

Sandvipr
12-21-2010, 06:19 PM
There's getting to be a number of private parks up here in MI. Mostly on the north end of the lower peninsula. Twisted Trails hasw been hosting a number of events over the last couple years and Rocks and Valleys has an awesome trail system in place with enough major obsticles for the bigger guys. They both can handle several hundred rigs and tow rigs/trailers..... But I really love the Badlands as well.- just not in the middle of summer...

indy242003
12-22-2010, 01:17 AM
Well with all the responses I've been getting from people. I'm set on the Badlands for this year. I have emailed them on the best times for us to have it in October.

IndyZJ
12-22-2010, 02:09 AM
Sweet. Thanks for taking the initiative on this! Hopefully I'll still have the ZJ by the time this rolls around.

Speaking of that, open to all or aiming for Grands only?

SirFuego
12-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Nice! Keep us posted, Jim. October should be a perfect time to make the trip.

I was watching some of Overkill's old videos from the Badlands, so I know I'll find ways to keep me entertained ;-)

slim616
12-22-2010, 10:54 PM
badlands in oct. sounds good to me.

indy242003
12-23-2010, 01:01 AM
Sweet. Thanks for taking the initiative on this! Hopefully I'll still have the ZJ by the time this rolls around.

Speaking of that, open to all or aiming for Grands only?

No worries on the "Grand" requirement. We have always been loose on that and I have a problem denying anyone who wants to ride with us.

SirFuego & Slim616 glad to have you coming. It will good to see you guys again.

just1more19
12-30-2010, 11:47 AM
I was just at the badlands about a month ago, and I have to say it is still probably one of the best for the stock to mild and has just enough to keep the highly modded from being to bored.

The fall sounds like it should be the best time also, As said earlier the weather is horrible during the early to mid spring esp for wheeling out there.

With that said I Am still not sure if I can make it, due to having a baby on the way in march - the money will be slim and the jeep still needs body protection before any serious wheelin. But I am really going to try for this year plus we need to get GSMW back up and going strong with more of our mallcrawlers new and old. :smt039

rstrucks
01-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Well with all the responses I've been getting from people. I'm set on the Badlands for this year. I have emailed them on the best times for us to have it in October.

Just saw this. October is perfect, good call. Nice weather and right in between "family" trips to Va for Labor Day and Thanksgiving. Chances are pretty good that I'll be there.

SirFuego
01-05-2011, 11:27 AM
I normally try to stockpile vacation days so getting time off would never be a problem, but we are getting paid out for our vacation and I'm basically "starting over" with my vacation accruals. Sure, it'll be a nice check, but with a wedding and honeymoon planned for May and August, respectively, I don't know at this point if I'll have accrued enuogh time to make it out.

EDIT: I'm going to suggest the weekend of Oct 15-16, since I can't do the 8-9 weekend. Any weekend after that should be good for me, too.

Ryan -- how far north in VA are you going? Maybe we could convert your "family" trip into a Rausch Creek trip ;-)

blackzj52
01-05-2011, 01:29 PM
I'd be down for badlands. Very interested

Evilmudder
01-15-2011, 05:30 PM
Do we have a date picked out yet for this? I am going to make it but would like to find out what dates so i can put them in before somebody else at work takes those days. I think the badlands would be a great place to go for everyone to have a good time.

indy242003
01-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Do we have a date picked out yet for this? I am going to make it but would like to find out what dates so i can put them in before somebody else at work takes those days. I think the badlands would be a great place to go for everyone to have a good time.

I will post a poll as to what weekend in October you guys want it. The park did not return my email when I asked. So, I guess we will decide.

slim616
01-16-2011, 01:09 AM
early oct. so we don't mess with hunting season here.

indy242003
01-16-2011, 01:52 AM
early oct. so we don't mess with hunting season here.

Yep. I hear ya! I'm with you!

bwhicker649
02-19-2011, 12:09 AM
count me in!

quadratokn
02-25-2011, 03:05 PM
I'll be at GSMW no matter when/where it is!

ZebraZJ
03-19-2011, 09:30 PM
So has a date been set as of yet? I am planning on being in MI in Oct. But the 8th is already booked, I will be in Toledo.

Tim

dirtmod0
06-28-2011, 09:46 PM
I am there! hoping to have all my upgrades done by then!!

D e m e n t e d
08-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Interested to know more details on this event, I have been to the Badlands a few times on my WK and have had no problems other than wear and tear. It isn't all that fun when I'm the only GC and the rest are TJ's JK's! I have been with the JeepsGoneWild for a wile till they broke it off.
I would like to go there one last time atleast before I move to Houston.

just1more19
08-18-2011, 02:18 AM
looks like the only way I may be wheeling this year is in my lowered buick or in my junk Freakin olds 88 ex work car, Can't seem to get my parts shipped much less put the 9er back together so I can join. This is going to really suck I had full intentions of attending this one plus the midwest needs the support to keep going!

I hope this is a good turn out guys! Wish I could make it.

Pearce
08-18-2011, 08:49 AM
How are things looking for this event. I'm still game as long as I don't break anything major before then. Looking forward to trying someplace new before the end of the year.

indy242003
08-19-2011, 10:24 AM
How are things looking for this event. I'm still game as long as I don't break anything major before then. Looking forward to trying someplace new before the end of the year.

Things are still looking good. I have some work to get done before I go, but things are well on track.

just1more19,

Just go ahead and plan on coming, there are usually plenty of empty passenger side seats to ride in. It will be a fun weekend. Paris is close and we would be more than happy to put you in a rig for even an afternoon. We will make sure you've got a ride.

I don't visit JF or NAGCA at all. Can someone drop a bug in the ears of these guys also?

Evilmudder
08-25-2011, 09:53 PM
Have we decided on a date yet? I would be up for the 2nd weekend in Oct. Don't know if i can make it the first weekend cause i am heading to harlan at the end of september and need a bit to save up for the badlands. Either way i am going to try and be there. Just need to know when it is so i can put in for a vacation day.

indy242003
08-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Have we decided on a date yet? I would be up for the 2nd weekend in Oct. Don't know if i can make it the first weekend cause i am heading to harlan at the end of september and need a bit to save up for the badlands. Either way i am going to try and be there. Just need to know when it is so i can put in for a vacation day.

Yep. 14th, 15th, &16th of October.

Harlan is a Beast. That mountain will test you and your rig. You will find the weak points of both. Bring plenty of spares and some asprin. It will seperate the Web-Wheelers quickly. I went half assed and didn't have my rig where I wanted it and paid the price. Broke a ton of stuff and working on it half of the weekend. It's one of the best places to wheel that I've been, just go cocked, locked, and ready to rock Doc, cause it will chew you up, and if your lucky, spit you out. That one or two little isses you thought, "well it will be alright". It will find it. So, get it fixed right. If you're prepared, it will be the ride of a lifetime. Good luck and have fun.

Evilmudder
08-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Well i will try my best not to break anything to bad down at harlan that way i can make it over to the badlands and wheel with you guys.

indy242003
08-31-2011, 12:14 AM
Well i will try my best not to break anything to bad down at harlan that way i can make it over to the badlands and wheel with you guys.

Do that. I will start a new thread soon to get a "who's going thread" started. I've got to get off my ass and get mine finished. I can't even steer it right now (but I do have my full hydro kit). Working like every weekend right now and just puss out when I get home.