PDA

View Full Version : WJ remote start

rstrucks
12-13-2010, 10:39 AM
I am looking at buying and installing a remote start system on an '02 Grand. Anybody have any tips info? I know there is an issue with the security system I'll have to deal with, not sure how though.

Thanks.

EDIT - If you know of a good online source for a remote start, let me know.

DJJordache
12-13-2010, 11:18 AM
how about just redoing the alarm with an aftermarket one that has remote start and ditch the factory one?

my setup:
Clifford Arrow 5 alarm system
with Clifford Intellistart addition (I just got this and have not wired it in yet), but should work just fine as it has a jumper wire from the alarm brain to the autostart brain.)

rstrucks
12-13-2010, 05:27 PM
I don't want to mess with the factory alarm if I can help it. I just want the remote start capability and nothing more. I did some digging and it looks like I am going to get the Bulldog remote start system as it included the "anti theft override module". It's nothing more than a box you put a second key in and leave in the vehicle so the Jeep thinks there is a correct (coded) key in the ignition, bypassing the anti theft.

http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/Products/500000015-model-rs82b-remote-starter-system.aspx

Ramsport59
12-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Another way we used to do it with the coded keys...take one and cut the key off from the chip end, and zip tie it around the ign switch, under the covers. They wont work if they are further then 1 - 2 inch away. I installed one in my wifes 03 and it sadly took me 6 hours to unwire the previous owners remote starter and install the new one. It was a mess. All the wires you need are right in the steering colum.

Rick

Nonstop
12-13-2010, 08:46 PM
A few things I learned...

WJJeeps has the procedure for programing your decoy key, but you'll need to cut it first to do the programming.
The method of putting a programmed key right next to the switch, definitely cut the key section off before install, works, but then the sentry key function is dissabled, sort of, for all keys, not that it matters too much.. But the point of the add on modules for better systems is that it leaves the function active, I didn't care..

The less expensive models work fine but can be a pain in the ass. Added features on lower end units make for annoyances..

The pricier stand alone ones without alarm, in the $400 range make me laugh, at least on my cars, Viper makes a very nice two way unit that comes in at under $300 installed at best buy around here, and the have a one way unit is $50 or so less,+ modules, but most BB stores bullshit on the costs of install, some will honor those prices..

The confirmation and LED's on the 2way unit actually turns out to be nice to have..

I have installed a $75 Ebay unit that used the factory remote,it worked, for a year, I also installed a stand alone that had remote locks and it's own remote, it was a royal pain in the ass with many faults..
The Viper 2way has remote locks and a nice remote, no pains, and can be found reasonably, Just like shocks and other crap, one company makes like 6 of the more known brands anyway, I used to be a huge fan of Clifford alarms and thought Viper was a joke, now I can't tell them apart.

SkZj
12-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Hopefully I can help you with your decision, I've sold and installed remote starters for the last 7 years, and done hundreds of the newer dodge/chrys/jeep vehices with the grey transponder key. Here is some unbiased info to help you out.

1. Transponder bypass
If you have the grey ignition key, you will have a factory transponder antitheft system. You can verify this by removing the steering column shroud and locating the immobilizer module around the key cylinder. It will be a round ring, with a box on the side of it that will have a small harness plugged into it. There are two effective ways to bypass for remote start. One is to use a "key in the box" method, which will take a key, and put it into an RF loop around the key barrel transponder antenna which is opened and closed with a relay activated by the remote start. While effective, this method does leave a key inside your vehicle at all times, and unfortunately, thieves are on to this method and I have reservations about it myself.

The second method is to use a DATA transponder bypass, which has recently become available for these vehicles. The premise behind these, is that they are tied into the j1850 databus at the immobilizer, and will decrypt the immobilizer code from the key while in the learning process, then repeat it on the network everytime you remote start. Basically, it learns your key code, and replicates it to the vehicle by data. No antenna loops to mess with, no losing a key, and best of all, no key left inside the vehicle. Two module brands that I trust and use exclusively are IDATALINK and FORTIN. Both are great products, and I have installed hundreds.

2. Factory Alarm. There will be a manual way to disarm and rearm the factory alarm in these vehicles. They can be triggered by the doors opening when locked, or ignition being turned on. Usually a pair of wires in most vehicles (may be a multiplexed circuit in these, don't remember). The alarm can be disabled by sending a ground pulse to the disarm wire, and re-armed by sending a ground pulse to the re-arm wire. Most remote start systems will have dedicated wiring for this, and you will need to hook it up.

3. Brands. Please, for the love of our jeeps, put a bulldog system in it. They are terrible, and I have fixed more by taking them out then I care to admit. Stick with a good brand, that can be found at a good price on ebay or online. Some good brands in my experience include Compustar, Autostart, DEI (viper), Astrostart and a few others. Stay away from the smaller brands. I've installed hundreds of compustar systems personally, and can tell you that they are worth the money in reliability. I have a top end one in my ZJ, and its been reliable for the 2 years is been installed, also my 3rd compustar that I've owned.

Hope that helps you a bit, reply if you have questions, I don't mind answering... I'll try and remember to check the site more often!