PDA

View Full Version : Dodge V-10s

BigClay
09-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Anyone have experience with these trucks? I know they have crappy gas mileage, but so do our jeeps. How do they hold up with 150k plus miles on them?

jsteves
09-21-2010, 11:46 AM
If it is an auto your biggest concern is the transmission.

1fox2go
09-21-2010, 12:03 PM
My dad likes the V10 trucks. They use the same autos as the diesels.

They hooked the v10 2500 to a cummins 2500 and the v10 pulled it backwards and kept going...

Fuel mileage is like you said horrible but for a brute truck they arent bad. Not as long of a life as the diesel counterpart but for someone who doesnt want a loud, clanky, and smelling diesel its the way to go

What do you plan to use it for?

BigClay
09-21-2010, 12:12 PM
I am still looking for a tow vehicle. I have towed my ZJ a few times with my Tahoe, but I just don't want to fry the tranny in my Tahoe b/c it is my DD. Basically the tow rig would pull double duty as a weekend warrior hauling wood, trash, etc; and then be my tow vehicle.

jsteves
09-21-2010, 01:51 PM
Looking for a V10 truck is a great way to save some money IMO. I bought a Ford V10 for much, much, much (you get the idea) less than an equal diesel would have cost me. It pulls hard and has been a great all around truck. Like you said, gas mileage sucks but I will have to drive a million miles or more to cost me more than I saved. Good luck with the search!

Jrgunn5150
09-21-2010, 03:56 PM
My uncle owns a fireplace/woodstove store and has a 95 with like 280k or more on it. The thing never leaves with less than half a ton in the box he's replaced the rearend once and trans twice (both jy units). It does sound weird though definately not a V8.

BigClay
09-21-2010, 03:57 PM
^ Thanks for the info. I guess 150k on one is not as bad as it seems.

1fox2go
09-21-2010, 04:02 PM
I don't think you will be disappointed with one

Jrgunn5150
09-21-2010, 04:05 PM
Not as far as I know I know I drove his as a stupid kid and his employees probably aren't very nice to it either. He's not good at pm either went 38k without an oil change once I had to pull the vc's and clean the drainbacks in the heads lmao

BigClay
09-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Awesome info guys, guess I can add the V10s to my list of "can haves" :D

Jrgunn5150
09-21-2010, 07:15 PM
Forgot to mention one important thing. There was a hood latch recall on those trucks, I remember because my uncle kept putting it off and next thing I knew I was at the jy looking for another hood.

Jeeptech01
09-22-2010, 09:15 AM
The buy in may be cheaper but the Diesel will assrape the v-10 in fuel mileage. But to answer your orig question, they are pretty much bomb proof if maintained properly.

jsteves
09-22-2010, 10:57 AM
The buy in may be cheaper but the Diesel will assrape the v-10 in fuel mileage. But to answer your orig question, they are pretty much bomb proof if maintained properly.

Sure but if I buy a V10 for 5k and an equal diesel is 15-20k that is a metric shit ton worth of fuel before I save my money back.

BigClay
09-22-2010, 11:15 AM
My budget is only 5k, and it is hard to find a good turboed diesel for that.

Jeeptech01
09-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Sure but if I buy a V10 for 5k and an equal diesel is 15-20k that is a metric shit ton worth of fuel before I save my money back.

I considered that reasoning but 8mpg vs 20 will add up pretty quick. A guy who worked with us had one and that is all it ever made uphill downhill towing or not = 8mpg

Jeeptech01
09-22-2010, 01:06 PM
My budget is only 5k, and it is hard to find a good turboed diesel for that.

Yea that would be a tough deal to catch. Maybe a machinery auction?? We have one near us that is open to the public once a month.

BigClay
09-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Yea that would be a tough deal to catch. Maybe a machinery auction?? We have one near us that is open to the public once a month.

That is a good idea, I will look into it. I had a lone on a 97 Cummins 250k miles 2wd reg cab long bed for $3,500; I was second in line to get it... I knew the first guy would grab it, and I even offered the seller $200 more, but the guy did the right thing and honored the first come first served ideal, so I can't blame him.

jsteves
09-22-2010, 01:34 PM
My V-10 Ford gets 12 empty and 9.5 loaded.
The average driver drives 12k miles per year. Divide that by 11MPG and I use 1091 gallons of fuel per year.

Diesel claims 20 (not sure I believe it...) divide by 20 MPG and get 600 gallons of fuel per year.

In Northern Co. Unleaded is $2.69/gallon and dielsel is $2.89

Cost per year: V10 - $2934.79
Diesel - $1734.00

So, I could save $1200.79 per year on fuel. Well, it would take me 12.5 years to make up the 15k difference in purchase price. I will not own the truck that long AND I don't personally drive 12k per year...more like 9k. For each person it will be different depending on market, driving habits, trucks aval., and fuel prices but it CAN be very smart to get a gasser rather than a diesel. Plus I am not inclined to drop a fortune on the truck in upgrades as there is not much to upgrade.

Jeeptech01
09-22-2010, 01:48 PM
I was looking mare at the low side of the scale at a 10 difference so more like 9 years but like I said I do see your point.

You make an excellent point about upgrades. I know I would have a hard time not upgrading anything diesel that I bought which gets expensive and would probably hurt fuel economy. Buy a v-10 and you will be hard pressed to find anything other than a k&n for it.

ATL ZJ
09-22-2010, 02:10 PM
My V-10 Ford gets 12 empty and 9.5 loaded.
The average driver drives 12k miles per year. Divide that by 11MPG and I use 1091 gallons of fuel per year.

Diesel claims 20 (not sure I believe it...) divide by 20 MPG and get 600 gallons of fuel per year.

In Northern Co. Unleaded is $2.69/gallon and dielsel is $2.89

Cost per year: V10 - $2934.79
Diesel - $1734.00

So, I could save $1200.79 per year on fuel. Well, it would take me 12.5 years to make up the 15k difference in purchase price. I will not own the truck that long AND I don't personally drive 12k per year...more like 9k. For each person it will be different depending on market, driving habits, trucks aval., and fuel prices but it CAN be very smart to get a gasser rather than a diesel. Plus I am not inclined to drop a fortune on the truck in upgrades as there is not much to upgrade.

Plus the cost of insuring a more valuable truck is going to be higher, and diesel maintenance and parts tend to cost more. So the annual operating costs are probably even closer than the mileage difference would have you believe at first glance.

SirFuego
09-22-2010, 02:40 PM
That is a good idea, I will look into it. I had a lone on a 97 Cummins 250k miles 2wd reg cab long bed for $3,500; I was second in line to get it... I knew the first guy would grab it, and I even offered the seller $200 more, but the guy did the right thing and honored the first come first served ideal, so I can't blame him.
If you can, I would try to find a 4wd truck. Even excluding my treks through snow/ice, I've found 4wd to be very, very helpful at various trailheads I've been at. I would probably have been royally fucked if I didn't have it at Harlan given that I missed that turn up the hill to the cabins.

Of course a 4wd truck for me was a no brainer given where I live, but there is definitely something to be said for a 4wd tow rig. I'd imagine that in the price range you are looking at, the premium for 4wd shouldn't be that significant.

Is this going to be a DD or just something to tow your junk to and from the trails?

BigClay
09-22-2010, 02:57 PM
If you can, I would try to find a 4wd truck. Even excluding my treks through snow/ice, I've found 4wd to be very, very helpful at various trailheads I've been at. I would probably have been royally fucked if I didn't have it at Harlan given that I missed that turn up the hill to the cabins.

Of course a 4wd truck for me was a no brainer given where I live, but there is definitely something to be said for a 4wd tow rig. I'd imagine that in the price range you are looking at, the premium for 4wd shouldn't be that significant.

Is this going to be a DD or just something to tow your junk to and from the trails?

I definitely want a 4wd truck, but that was a screaming deal so I was going to make do. This truck will be only a tow rig and occasional hauler of junk to the dump or haul firewood. I am keeping the Tahoe as my DD. Speaking of the Tahoe, I only get at best 15mpg city driving it, so the V10 numbers don't seem that bad to me :D

Jeeptech01
09-22-2010, 03:25 PM
I agree about the insurance being higher but IMO upkeep on a gas engine is way more high maint than diesel.

jsteves
09-22-2010, 03:57 PM
4WD is damn near a must IMO. - Even diesel oil changes are stupid expensive...5 gallons of oil?!?

ATL ZJ
09-22-2010, 04:26 PM
I agree about the insurance being higher but IMO upkeep on a gas engine is way more high maint than diesel.

I'm having a hard time remembering the last time I bought an injection pump for my Titan :flipoff2:

/inbeforesparkplugs

Jeeptech01
09-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Buy American :flipoff2:

ATL ZJ
09-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Buy American :flipoff2:

Made in Canton, MS :D

rstrucks
09-22-2010, 04:49 PM
To add to this discussion. I found my '94 Cummins (DRW, reg. cab) w/ 19X,XXX miles on it for less than 5K. It gets an honest 20-21 MPG on the highway. I have put about 10K miles on it, mostly towing, and have had to do very little to it - dowel pin fix (cheap), filter and fluid changes. It is not a pretty truck, nor did I want one. I use it for hauling crap and towing and it's nice not worrying about it. It will last much longer than any gas powered truck will under the same conditions and cost less to operate. The deals are out there, you just have to be patient and jump on them when they pop up. If/when I get another truck it will be an extended cab SRW 4wd.

BTW the Ford V-10 we have here at work gets 9.5-10 MPG unloaded and about 7 pulling a trailer. It does ok pulling but there is no confusing it with a diesel, especially getting up to highway speeds. It is more comfortable than my Dodge too.

With all that said, if you find a screaming deal on a V-10 and you won't be driving it that much, go for it. I do have to say though that it does sap some of the fun out of a wheeling trip when you have to think about pumping a shit ton of $$$ gas in your tow rig just to get there. I'd rather pay more for the truck and less for fuel. Just my .02 FWIW.

rstrucks
09-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Made in Canton, MS :D

With profits shipped where? :coffee:

Jeeptech01
09-22-2010, 05:11 PM
Assembled 47% in Canton, MS :D

Fixed it for you.

ATL ZJ
09-22-2010, 05:34 PM
Well then Canton MS must be full of Japanese buffets. ;)

and you guys can't rag on me too hard. Look at all the old USA truck parts on my bugly. It's an america-hell-yea-mobile

Sorry Clay, back to your thread

BigClay
09-22-2010, 07:36 PM
LOL, I don't give a damn about thread hijacking, I was enjoying it :D

I have all American cars myself :)

Jeeptech01
09-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Me too. Always have ;)

Jrgunn5150
09-23-2010, 01:31 PM
My Ram was assembled in Mexico, profits shipped to Germany... Welcome to thje global economy.

Jeeptech01
09-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Yea but now we ship profit to canada at least.. eh.

1fox2go
09-23-2010, 03:10 PM
The injection pumps which are "notorious" with failing are on the second gen dodges 98.5-02 however the issue is not the injection pump, it is the lift pump in the tank which fails. So the result is the injection pump has to work harder to pull the fuel from the tank, which it also causes it to not get adequate fuel. The fuel is what lubricates and cools the injection pump. A good fuel pressure gauge and monitoring said gauge so the pressure does not drop below 8 PSI will help make the injection pump last longer. Proper fuel filter changes can help it last even longer because even if the pressure does not drop crud from the fuel still kills it.

Also for what its worth I am making an honest 22+ on the highway empty. I towed 2 XJs with a 30 foot trailer to big dogs from my dads house ( ~240 miles round trip) for 75 bucks in fuel at 2.89 a gallon

The trailer empty weighs 8800 pounds, add 2 XJs ~4000 lbs each, plus camping gear, a bed full of coolers and tools, and 3 passengers. And you get the idea of the weight I was hauling

The diesel is more efficient yes but he mentioned not being about to find one in is price range or being able to justify its maintenance for the small amount he would use/drive it

However, you could sell the Tahoe, get a nice diesel truck and make that your DD/tow rig

And my truck takes 3 gallons of oil, Not 5! Haha

To add to what Ryan said, I bought my 99 extended cab 2500 5spd with 100k miles for 12k. Came with 4 in exhaust from the turbo back, A piller tri pod with boost, fuel pressure and exhaust temp guages, an Edge comp box, and a South bend clutch for 12k

Jeeptech01
09-23-2010, 03:16 PM
The injection pumps which are "notorious" with failing are on the second gen dodges 98.5-02 however the issue is not the injection pump, it is the lift pump in the tank which fails. So the result is the injection pump has to work harder to pull the fuel from the tank, which it also causes it to not get adequate fuel. The fuel is what lubricates and cools the injection pump. A good fuel pressure gauge and monitoring said gauge so the pressure does not drop below 8 PSI will help make the injection pump last longer. Proper fuel filter changes can help it last even longer because even if the pressure does not drop crud from the fuel still kills it.

/\
110% Dead nuts accurate right there. Most failures come from a failing lift pump that goes unfixed. Then the cust who is a dope calls his truck a pos after he/she ignored the warning signs/drivability issues until it wouldnt run anymore.

Im sure it is simillar with other brands but my experience and knowledge base is strictly with diesels in CJD products. ie Cummins, Vencini Martelli, and MBZ

Pearce
09-23-2010, 03:37 PM
If I only had $5000 to spend I would either sell the Tahoe and get a DD truck. You could get a nice GMC/Chevy gas 2500 that would do plenty fine towing a rig. Or of course the diesel of your choice.
Or, save the money and invest in a good WD hitch with sway control, an extra trans cooler, regular mainteance on the trans and some sort of suspension assist.
Then you have money left over to spend on your rig! Of course everyone has their own situation but I just don't see spending $5000 just to have a tow rig making sense. Besides you have to park it somewhere, insure it and maintain it. Wait to get the tow rig you really want.
And just to add to the V10 portion of the topic, guy at work got a Dodge V10. He loves the truck, hates the milage. But he didn't buy it for towing, it's his DD.

zjeepin
09-23-2010, 03:38 PM

These guys never had a 6.5 have they Cam?

I gotta disagree with ya JT.. The gassers are cheaper to keep on the road but diesels will go at least 100k further traditionally before overhaul.. But with gas engine technology advancing the way it has in the last 10 years well maintained gas engines are lasting much longer..

Sounds like a v10 would serve you well clay..

BigClay
09-23-2010, 03:43 PM
I would love to sell the Tahoe and DD a 2500 truck but the Tahoe is the family hauler, and I need the very back for the dogs when we travel, so I am stuck with an SUV for those purposes.

Small variation on this thread, but somewhat related. Would you consider buying a cummins with 260k on the clock?

Jrgunn5150
09-23-2010, 03:53 PM
I would buy an old mechanical Cummins with 260k no problem. Mine is a 6.7 and I'm ok with it since I have a warranty but the newer trucks just haven't proven themselves yet. I've seen the older Cummins north of 300k often. They are easy to work on too.

1fox2go
09-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Depends on the year and condition of said truck. Also some background on what its life was like would help a lot

Well maintained the cummins will out last the truck surrounding it

BigClay
09-23-2010, 04:19 PM
It is a 1997 2500 4x4. The current owner needs a smaller DD, but he has only had it for a year, so I do not know what kind of abuse it might have taken previously.

it usually runs fine
09-23-2010, 04:42 PM
260k is too many miles on anything man. People get carried away with this my buddy got 375,000 miles on his and only changed the alternator b.s. I'm not saying it wouldn't last that long, but 260,000 is alot of wear and tear man. I take that back I would buy a tractor trailer with 260,000 miles:D. I just don't want you to buy someone elses problem man, I wouldn't buy it.

ATL ZJ
09-23-2010, 04:45 PM

I gotta disagree with ya JT.. The gassers are cheaper to keep on the road but diesels will go at least 100k further traditionally before overhaul.. But with gas engine technology advancing the way it has in the last 10 years well maintained gas engines are lasting much longer..

Haha no joke. What a PITA :smt037

I have to admit, I'm a bit jealous of the situation you're in with your Tundra, that seems to be in great shape and needs zero major maintenance for a pretty good while... Live it up while it's cheap! Although, even when you do get to the point when it's time to flush and fill fluids, and change all the filters, maybe swap waterpump, etc. it will still seem like pennies compared to that paycheck gobbler you used to pull with.

Knock on wood, the average monthly maintenance on my Titan has been extremely low compared to the diesel and that's even with me running Amsoil in just about everything. Even if only half of the savings is due to it being a gasser (some is obviously due to it being a newer truck), it's still been way less expensive. Just my experience...

Where the diesels have their place is in moving mountains or hauling 2+ rigs together, IMO

BigClay
09-23-2010, 05:07 PM
I wouldn't buy it.

That is what I was looking for, thanks.

it usually runs fine
09-23-2010, 05:15 PM
No prob man.

1fox2go
09-24-2010, 09:15 AM
It is a 1997 2500 4x4. The current owner needs a smaller DD, but he has only had it for a year, so I do not know what kind of abuse it might have taken previously.

If you are interested go take a look at it and bring a friend or good diesel mechanic that you know and trust to go with you.

260k sounds like a lot but if the truck does not show it on the exterior then it could most likely be highway miles. Work trucks have dents, lots of them as well as a trashed interior

Not saying you should get it but taking a look at it is not a bad idea. If the guy is using it as his DD now then it cant be but so bad

Also for what it's worth a friend of mine hauls golf carts from here to Florida as well as empty trailers all along the south east. He easily racks up a lot of highway miles. Empty trailers and a load of golf carts are nothing for a diesel to tow.

If you are dead set on a Cummins hop on www.cumminsforum.com and ask any questions of concern you have. Those guys will tell you all you need to know

But again, on the flip side, like Cam said, a diesel is a work truck. If you plan just to tow 1 rig, and firewood here and there Id go with a gas truck. The Chevy 6.0's from what I've seen are really good trucks to go with.

BigClay
09-24-2010, 09:29 AM
I am deep down a Chevy man, so I really like the 6.0s; but, the 6.0s weren't offered in the GM vehicles until 2000, and the ones that are in my price range already have 140k plus on them.

Jeeptech01
09-24-2010, 10:48 AM

Yea no experience with anything other than the diesels I listed in my previous post. Im not hating on gas either (although I did drink my haterade this morning) every vehicle I've owned with the exception of one has been gas powered. But when it comes to towing mileage etc diesel wins IMO at least for CJD vehicles. IMO that is why the cummins equipped ram was built 5:1 with respect to the v-10. Same with hemi 2500 and 3500 trucks. Wait wait now ask about the 6.7 diesel cough, GARBAGE I wouldnt own one if it was given to me. Unreliable piece of ash spewin sooty dawgshit.

See Im not biased.

Honestly I agree with Pearce find what you really want in a DD and tow rig at the same time and sell the Hoe. 3 cars = pita

1fox2go
09-24-2010, 11:18 AM
3 cars does suck.

Find you a nice 4 door short bed truck. Unless you dont mind the length of the 4 door long bed

it usually runs fine
09-24-2010, 11:41 AM
3 cars does suck.

Find you a nice 4 door short bed truck. Unless you dont mind the length of the 4 door long bed
Yea like a Titan Crew cab:D

Jeeptech01
09-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Dec 7 1941

it usually runs fine
09-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Dec 7 1941

Yea I want to say those planes actually had the same 5.6 engine that my Commi Jap truck has in it. lol
Wasn't it mitsubishi that made those planes?

Jeeptech01
09-24-2010, 01:08 PM
Ha actually not sure who made the planes. I would assume the converted all their factories the same way we did.

Jrgunn5150
09-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Dec 7 1941

Funny how Germany, then Italy came back to buy Jeep huh? lmao

BigClay
09-24-2010, 03:28 PM
I had 4 vehicles that were all on the road at one point, so 3 is nothing :D I really like driving something different every couple days, so buying a seperate tow vehicle is actually a plus in my mind haha

Jeeptech01
09-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Funny how Germany, then Italy came back to buy Jeep huh? lmao

Irony at its finest.

If you cant beat em...

ed: buy em

Jrgunn5150
09-24-2010, 03:38 PM
I had 4 vehicles that were all on the road at one point, so 3 is nothing :D I really like driving something different every couple days, so buying a seperate tow vehicle is actually a plus in my mind haha

I guess that's what I'm thinking with a 260k tow rig. If it spends 90% of it's life in the driveway, you can afford downtime for even major issues.

rstrucks
09-24-2010, 07:26 PM

I'm with you on this one Clay. I like having three road legal vehicles, even if it means driving high mileage stuff.

Also, like 1fox2go said, the 260 shouldn't be the end all for a decision. Take a look at it and if it looks like a lot of highway miles and the truck is clean and in good shape........ If the price is right it may be worth a look.

BigClay
09-25-2010, 08:52 PM
Well the Cummins has already been sold, but on the bright side I am looking at a 2500 V10 Dodge tomorrow. It only has 105k on it, and is a manual, long bed, extended cab, 4x4. So hopefully this will end the search.

1fox2go
09-25-2010, 09:44 PM
ahh the manual trans is the same as the one behind the cummins

You wont be disappointed in the v10, other than the shitty fuel mileage

zjrog
09-25-2010, 10:07 PM
So, whats the chances of the V10 fitting a ZJ?

ATL ZJ
09-26-2010, 12:20 AM

why?

Jrgunn5150
09-26-2010, 12:30 AM

Pretty good, it's a 360 with two more cylinders.

C.C.Reed
09-26-2010, 03:53 AM
Not a ZJ but they moved the firewall back 15". . .

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=908512

:cool:

Jeeptech01
09-26-2010, 08:22 AM

Good once you cut out the cowl and firewall. Oh and take off the hood forever.

Clay I didnt even consider the manual equipped v-10. You should be able to get some more mileage out of that v-10 without a power sapping 46 or 48 variant slushbox behind it.

biggoofy
09-26-2010, 01:58 PM
that v10 durango is awesome but its very slow i managed to drive it while it was in the final stages of the build as i am very good friends with the owner of the shop that built it suspension is super soft and it sounds amazing

BigClay
09-26-2010, 08:55 PM
Drove the 2500 V10, negotiated with the guy... picking it up Tuesday! :D

Jeeptech01
09-27-2010, 08:09 AM
Cool! Pics or it didnt happen.

BigClay
09-27-2010, 09:59 AM
LOL! Of course the guy could still screw me until I have the title in my hand, but he seems like a good guy. I am going tomorrow to get the title and pick up the truck (and of course pay him haha)

So here she is

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo27/CW_2009/2500%20Dodge%20V10/DodgeV10.jpg

Jeeptech01
09-27-2010, 12:09 PM
Clean!

BigClay
09-27-2010, 12:17 PM
Very clean, and it only has 106k on it.

Jrgunn5150
09-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Sweet deal man!

As far as V10 swapping goes, other than weight balance, why wouldnt everything just move forward? As in the bell stays in the same place?

1fox2go
09-27-2010, 05:53 PM
Nice. Congrats.

If you need any help with stuff let me know. My pops is the dodge god when it comes to these trucks

BigClay
09-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Nice. Congrats.

If you need any help with stuff let me know. My pops is the dodge god when it comes to these trucks

Awesome to know! Where in VA is he located (proximity to NC)

it usually runs fine
09-27-2010, 08:32 PM
Man i'd never own a red dodge....Gross.

1fox2go
09-27-2010, 08:41 PM
24401 is the zip

BigClay
09-27-2010, 09:05 PM
Man i'd never own a red dodge....Gross.

:smt027

1fox2go
09-28-2010, 12:22 AM
Mines red too. I like it. To each their own I guess

cLAYH
09-28-2010, 02:09 AM
Red's not my first choice either but if the deal is right.....
If I had to I'd drive a pink Dodge before I drove anything else. ;)

Thats why I painted the under carriage on the Jeep red. To match the truck.
'
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u92/clayhardock/IMG_3399.jpg

BigClay
09-28-2010, 07:57 AM
My jeep is white, my tahoe is white, the wife's car is white, so red seems awesome to me! :D

BigClay
09-28-2010, 09:45 AM
Just found out the truck has a dana 80 in the rear. A little research let me know this is a full floater usually in DRW trucks, but dodge put them in their 2500s with a manual and the v10. Anyone know anything more about this axle?

rstrucks
09-28-2010, 09:49 AM
Just found out the truck has a dana 80 in the rear. A little research let me know this is a full floater usually in DRW trucks, but dodge put them in their 2500s with a manual and the v10. Anyone know anything more about this axle?

The '97 2500 5 spd diesel we had here at work had the D80 as well. Strong, heavy, cheap.

Good call on the manual trans BTW.

dp96zj
09-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Sweet find on the truck, looks super clean!!!

I think he was bullshitting you guys about the red truck ;)

.hello Mr. Towpig:D

Anyways here she is, needs a bath and some new meat on the rear.
http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab144/lumbertonzj/0912001459.jpg

I'm pretty pumped Iv'e always wanted a diesel.

BigClay
09-28-2010, 10:34 AM
The '97 2500 5 spd diesel we had here at work had the D80 as well. Strong, heavy, cheap.

Good call on the manual trans BTW.

Thanks Ryan. I have not heard many bad things about the manual, and conversely I have not heard many good things about the auto, so I think the manual will treat me well.

And hopefully the 4x4 will get me up to the top of the Black Mountain Cabins! :D

Jeeptech01
09-28-2010, 12:18 PM

I know that everything is stupid beefy on it and I've never had to replace anything on one except hub brgs and pinion seals. The latter always caused the former. I alway try to keep em just a touch overfull.

it usually runs fine
09-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Yea nice score on the truck It looks like it was treated well

1fox2go
09-28-2010, 03:18 PM
My truck has the dana 80 rear, with the cummins.

You pretty much got the same truck but without the diesel. Def a good find

BigClay
11-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Well a little update for searching posterity. I have towed with the Dodge a few times now, I have driven it around town and straight highway driving.

So far on the highway with a small load in the bed I averaged 11.5 mpg.

Towing I averaged 7.5

Mixed city driving and some quick high way driving I averaged 9.5

I do have to say the 7.5 towing was me in a real hurry and lots of hills. The highway driving was also lots of hills, and I was not babying the skinny pedal. I will try to get some highway numbers where I am easy on the skinny pedal.

Overall I love this truck. The V10 will light up the tires if you are not careful. I also have found that 1st gear in the NV4500 is only needed when I am towing, without a load I start off in 2nd.

1fox2go
11-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Well a little update for searching posterity. I have towed with the Dodge a few times now, I have driven it around town and straight highway driving.

So far on the highway with a small load in the bed I averaged 11.5 mpg.

Towing I averaged 7.5

Mixed city driving and some quick high way driving I averaged 9.5

I do have to say the 7.5 towing was me in a real hurry and lots of hills. The highway driving was also lots of hills, and I was not babying the skinny pedal. I will try to get some highway numbers where I am easy on the skinny pedal.

Overall I love this truck. The V10 will light up the tires if you are not careful. I also have found that 1st gear in the NV4500 is only needed when I am towing, without a load I start off in 2nd.

Same issue here with 1st gear, even with my oversized tires. Stock are 245s, Im running 305s

Also for MPG comparison, since we both have almost identical trucks just gas verses diesel. Empty I run mid 20s on the highway with cruise set empty. Last trip on flat istate I got 25-26 mpg

Towing a 30 foot gooseneck (8800# empty) with two Xjs (~4000# each) bed full of tools, spare parts, camping gear and coolers, and the truck with 4 people total. I averaged 11mpg towing to big dogs and back.

I have 3.55 gears, with my oversized tires Im sure my mileage would be a little better towing if I had the 4.10s, but since it is my DD and I do not tow the big gooseneck often, I get my mileage back from the highway driving with the bigger tires

Hope that helps anyone curious about gas verses diesel

R-TM-R 209
02-08-2011, 02:50 AM
You've gotta look at the tranny if the fluid is burnt orange red the tranny most like needs replaced.m

jsteves
02-08-2011, 12:55 PM
You've gotta look at the tranny if the fluid is burnt orange red the tranny most like needs replaced.m

Welcome to six months ago.

1fox2go
02-08-2011, 04:41 PM
and that he has a manual...

Not saying they are immune to old nasty fluid but a lot more tolerant when it comes to fluid

Jeeptech01
02-08-2011, 05:00 PM
No no just replace the trans that is what burnt fluid means..

ZJ TINS
02-09-2011, 12:22 PM
I get my trannies flushed every 100k miles. But it uses the special machine which gets around 95% and takes an hour (it heats and runs the tranny during the flush). Never replaced a tranny yet (not even every had to work on mine) and the fluid comes out red/brown on the dipstick before and bright clear red after. Around $100 it is alot cheaper than a tranny. I will probably start every 50k miles above 100k miles now on. The ZJ has 175k miles and shifts better than Tom's at 90k after some guy worked on his.

EndorphinJunky
07-02-2011, 12:28 AM
Red's not my first choice either but if the deal is right.....
If I had to I'd drive a pink Dodge before I drove anything else. ;)

Thats why I painted the under carriage on the Jeep red. To match the truck.
'
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u92/clayhardock/IMG_3399.jpg

That's an awesome setup you got there. Nice choice on the short fifth wheel trailer to stick on there!

The V10 is in the magnum family like the 5.2's n 5.9's. Here's what wikipedia has to say on them..

"Originally conceived in the 1980s[citation needed (http://www.mallcrawlin.com/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed)] as a truck engine for the larger Rams[citation needed (http://www.mallcrawlin.com/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed)], the Magnum V10 was re-engineered as the engine of the Dodge Viper[citation needed (http://www.mallcrawlin.com/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed)] in 1990 by Chrysler Engineering, and used in the Ram 2500 starting in the 1994 redesign of the Ram line. When the 8 L 488ci V10 Magnum debuted for the Dodge Ram 2500 & 3500 in 1994, it was the most powerful gasoline engine available for consumer pick-ups. It provided far less power than the V10 in the Viper and used a cast-iron cylinder block. Output was 310 hp (230 kW) and 450 lb·ft (610 N·m). It was discontinued after the 2003 model year."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_LA_engine

biggoofy
07-02-2011, 01:00 AM
Why the fuck are you bumping old dead thread for no reason!

cowboy63b
07-02-2011, 10:29 PM
to piss you off.

EndorphinJunky
07-03-2011, 04:07 AM
Why the fuck are you bumping old dead thread for no reason!

Sorry that picture made me randy..