PDA

View Full Version : GSR '10 Role Call

SLO MO
09-12-2010, 09:36 PM
So who's still coming?
We're leaving here (Canada) next Saturday morning. Plan to be in South Tahoe either Wednesday or Thursday at the latest. And I guess up Icehouse Road Thursday night so we can be ready for Friday morning. Where is a good place to tent camp around Loon Lake? We'll be leaving the truck and trailer somewhere around South Lake Tahoe but not sure where yet.
Anyways, who else is definitely coming?

Brett

goldensd
09-12-2010, 10:46 PM
I'll be there.

Depending on which way your coming in there is a parking lot at the end of the trailhead in Homewood that you could drop at.

You should be able to find a spot to camp at just at Loon Lake just before the trailhead. I'm not sure of my exact schedule yet, but I've also been considering heading up there Thursday night and camping at the lake.

I'm looking forward to a good turnout and meeting some new people out there this year.

fredr1980
09-13-2010, 12:55 AM
I'll be there also... leaving San Jose Thursday after work around 3-4ish and camping out at the Loon that night as I don't really feel like getting up super early to make the drive... Shawn, I'm going to try the get that same spot that we camped out at the one time we went if you do end up going Thursday night. Brett, if you decide you're going to be camping Thursday night the spot I'm referring to is like 2 mins from the trail head right before you hit the last spillway, look for a red Grand as I'll park it right by the road .

Fred R.

SLO MO
09-13-2010, 08:11 AM
Cool. I'll look for you guys! :)

Brett

Shinobi
09-13-2010, 10:09 AM
im still down, ill be leaving friday morning from reno :P

umm should we pm each others phn number just incase any of us are running late ... since its so early :P

SLO MO
09-13-2010, 11:15 AM
umm should we pm each others phn number just incase any of us are running late ... since its so early :P

Sounds like a plan. I'm coming from about 1600 miles away so I'd like for this trip to go smoothly.

I'll send my cell # to Shinobi to start it, then if we can just forward that thru everyone we'll be good.

Thanks guys.

Brett

fredr1980
09-13-2010, 05:33 PM
im still down, ill be leaving friday morning from reno :P

Depending on the cell phone carrier people might or might not get any reception out by the trailhead... I have tmobile and get NO reception, my wife has AT&T and gets 1 bar that cuts in and out... IF you have a CB that could work if your pretty close to that trailhead that morning and are running late...

Fred R.

wheelnzj
09-14-2010, 01:48 AM
OK, I guess I am in! Ha Ha, really looking foreward 2 it. Fred is correct with cell phone service, I have version and loose service just before I hit loon lake.
Brett- There are camp grounds just before the pavement ends on your right, with pit style bathroom. see ya at the loon lake overflow friday morning.:cool:

Shinobi
09-14-2010, 05:49 AM
Sounds like a plan. I'm coming from about 1600 miles away so I'd like for this trip to go smoothly.

I'll send my cell # to Shinobi to start it, then if we can just forward that thru everyone we'll be good.

Thanks guys.

Brett

thanks got ur #

Depending on the cell phone carrier people might or might not get any reception out by the trailhead... I have tmobile and get NO reception, my wife has AT&T and gets 1 bar that cuts in and out... IF you have a CB that could work if your pretty close to that trailhead that morning and are running late...

Fred R.

Ya I read about how only at&t only gets service (kinda) .... I will be leaving my house around 3 or 4 in the AM so I figured if I had at least someones number just incase we are running late . BTW what CB channel will we be using ?

OK, I guess I am in! Ha Ha, really looking foreward 2 it. :

x2 !!! this will be my first time running the complete trail , instead of going from tahoe to rubicon springs and back :P

goldensd
09-14-2010, 10:42 AM
If I recall correctly, for anyone that's headed up early, the spot the Fred is talking about and going to try and get is on the right side of the road and a couple hundred yards past the campground Ron is talking about.

I believe its right about where the pavement ends and turns to gravel before you head across the dam.

See you up there.

AgitatedPancake
09-14-2010, 12:13 PM
This is going to be rough for me but I'm going to do everything I can to make it. I've got some work to do on the jeep, ran barrett lake for 3 days 2 weekends ago, was on the Rubicon for 3 days with the Marlin Crawler roundup this last weekend and I broke another rear driveshaft and possibly a tranny mount, so I'm running on my trail spare shaft right now and I need to see wassup with the tranny mount. Another wierd thing that happened over these past few weeks, I sheared 2 wheel studs on my front axle. They're replaced now but gotta keep my eye on it. I've got a class friday morning so I won't be able to leave with the group, but I'm thinking about talking with one of my friends to see if he might want to wheel it backwards from cadillac hill in towards you guys on friday night/saturday. I've got some coordinating to do, but luckily my internet at the new place is finally getting installed today so I should be able to keep you guys up to date!

SaturnICL
09-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Greg you can do the Tahoma entrance to the springs in about 3 Hrs. should be easy to catch up.

I prefer going in that way you get to the good stuff faster and save your kidneys by not driving miles of booring trail.

Chris

AgitatedPancake
09-15-2010, 08:00 PM
Holy crap, I somehow got the idea that it was THIS upcoming weekend. I don't know how i forgot/misinterpreted this, but it puts much better odds on me making it knowing it's next weekend!

Chris, thanks for the heads up, I may end up going that route if it comes down to a time crunch

SLO MO
09-18-2010, 01:07 AM
Looks like I'm going to crash at Ron's on Thursday (thanks Ron) and we will be driving out on Friday morning with him. See you guys there! :)
Its been a thrash fest this week. I now have an Antirock on the rear, also did 6 months of maintenance in the last couple of days. All loaded and ready for the morning.:cheer:

Brett

Greg, glad you're going to make it. Corey (YJ and Corey from Pirate) will like to see some pics of your "Beat Blue Jeep" as he calls it.

AgitatedPancake
09-18-2010, 02:12 AM
Sounds like things are goin smooth for ya!

I didn't know you know Corey! Man I admire that guys work and knowledge, suprising he likes my haggard ass jeep lol. I'm dying to check out his build also, but that's probably going to have to wait till KOTH!

And your WJ...definately a big inspiration on my build lol, there's no way I'm lettin anything small get in the way of this trip there are too many good times to be had!

Shinobi
09-19-2010, 04:34 PM
just preran half of the trail yesterday , It was awesome !

Glad to see your coming greg , looking forward meet ya in person and ur blue submarine

Ill see you guys next week :D
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs700.snc4/62025_10150092750739988_834149987_7295891_1026021_ n.jpg

wheelnzj
09-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Getting close, so I thought I would check the weather. Fri, Sat & Sun- Sunny with highs in the low to mid 70's with a over night low of 40* so bring some warm camping gear!

goldensd
09-20-2010, 04:39 PM
Perfect if you ask me!! And best of all, for the first time in several years, we're into September without fire restrictions..

Can't wait, should be a good run!!

Fred, I'm heading up Thursday, but not sure yet if I'll go clear to the lake. I'll probably lose the trailer at my GF's parents in Placerville, and she may want to stay there for the night and visit. Let you know later in the week.

AgitatedPancake
09-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Nice the weather sounds great! I'm going to see if I can knock out some sort of a bastard spare rear shaft today out of all the broken peices I have

http://agitatedpancake.com/random/jeep/driveshafts.JPG

recon zj
09-20-2010, 08:45 PM
Well, I'm gonna have to bail on it this year. I never got my rear r&p replaced. You guys have fun!

fredr1980
09-21-2010, 02:23 AM
Fred, I'm heading up Thursday, but not sure yet if I'll go clear to the lake. I'll probably lose the trailer at my GF's parents in Placerville, and she may want to stay there for the night and visit. Let you know later in the week.

Shawn, yeah let me know. I might or might not end up camping out at loon Thursday night as the wife will be up there visiting a friend in El Dorado Hills and also wants to hang out. Either way let me know.

Fred R.

Shinobi
09-21-2010, 03:09 AM
Well, I'm gonna have to bail on it this year. I never got my rear r&p replaced. You guys have fun!

nooooooo

AgitatedPancake
09-21-2010, 01:13 PM
So I made myself another spare driveshaft yesterday out of all those parts, and tore the front drivers side hub apart. The inner wheel bearing is rusted onto the spindle, the upper ball joint is shot and the tack welds on my u-joint caps are cracked again.

Sooooooo....

I persuaded my friend to let me...hold onto his cherokee (the army green/black one) for a week so I can steal his drivers side knuckle and axleshaft for the trip hehehe

fredr1980
09-22-2010, 03:28 AM
Well I won't be camping out Thursday night as I'm hanging out with the wife as she's also going to be in the area visiting a friend. See everyone out there Friday morning... :mrgreen:
Fred R.

goldensd
09-23-2010, 02:18 AM
Well I had a close call tonight, but I made it and am loaded up.

So I got home tonight, and decided to take the Jeep over to Autozone to get a light bulb I needed for the trailer, and get back to see antifreeze hitting the floor. I've been watching the occassional drip happen and been waiting, so go figure it picked tonight to let go. Luckily it was only about 7:00, so I turned around and headed back and got a new pump. So rather than have an easy night of packing up, I had to bust ass and change pumps, but all is good. After digging into it, I might have made it, but I was already started so I figured I might as well take care of it.

I'll be headed up to Placerville after work and meet everyone at Loon Lake Friday Morning.

What time are we meeting again?

AgitatedPancake
09-23-2010, 01:59 PM
As of right now my idea for myself is to come in from the tahoe side friday afternoon, and just wheel in until i find you guys! No idea how far in you'll be...maybe we'll be able to meet at buck or somethin

wheelnzj
09-23-2010, 04:54 PM
We are meeting at the Loon Lake overspill at 0700 Friday morning.
See everyone there!

fredr1980
09-23-2010, 06:03 PM
So I made myself another spare driveshaft yesterday out of all those parts, and tore the front drivers side hub apart. The inner wheel bearing is rusted onto the spindle, the upper ball joint is shot and the tack welds on my u-joint caps are cracked again.

Sooooooo....

I persuaded my friend to let me...hold onto his cherokee (the army green/black one) for a week so I can steal his drivers side knuckle and axleshaft for the trip hehehe

Agitated,
Are you swapping out your Ball joints anytime soon on you D44 or are you just going to wait it out until you build your 609? I was looking on pirate at these XRF BALL JOINTS (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=895685) as it seems like the ones from ballistic MIGHT be available sometime next year and I'm not going to wait around for those and these XRF joints seem like they are an upgrade to standard spicer stuff ... I just built my front axle back in Jan/Feb and there is already slop in these 9-month old ball joints :shake: I might try these out as they're relatively inexpensive...

Fred R.

AgitatedPancake
09-23-2010, 06:49 PM
I'm going to hold off until the 609 goes in. I got a few years out of these napa balljoints, and the sloppy one was on the side that broke the u-joint, and wheel studs. I'm wondering if some things were playing together into a chain reaction there.

GOOD TO GO! *Cough*
http://agitatedpancake.com/random/jeep/GSR10/DSC04543.jpg

goldensd
09-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Agitated,
Are you swapping out your Ball joints anytime soon on you D44 or are you just going to wait it out until you build your 609? I was looking on pirate at these XRF BALL JOINTS (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=895685) as it seems like the ones from ballistic MIGHT be available sometime next year and I'm not going to wait around for those and these XRF joints seem like they are an upgrade to standard spicer stuff ... I just built my front axle back in Jan/Feb and there is already slop in these 9-month old ball joints :shake: I might try these out as they're relatively inexpensive...

Fred R.

Fred,

I had the same issue, and had to replace 1 pretty quick. The 1 thing, I've learned on stuff like that though is to use the best one's from Autozone, to get the lifetime warranty. Obviously, there is still the PIA factor when one goes out, but they've never questioned me for turning in a part for a warranty replacement. I'd definitely be interested in a better/stronger part if they were out there at a decent price though.

I think this goes right along with my Optima battery. Seems like mine goes bad every 2 years, and I take it in with my receipt and they hand me a new one. It's probably the memory deal I've read about, but one of the guys once told me that the Red Top Optima's don't play nice with high amp alternators, so who knows. I guess I'll worry about that when they stop replacing them...

See everyone bright and early.

AgitatedPancake
09-23-2010, 10:27 PM
Lol poor Cherokee...

http://agitatedpancake.com/random/jeep/GSR10/DSC04548.jpg

Sacrificing itself for MY jeep muahaha
http://agitatedpancake.com/random/jeep/GSR10/DSC04547.jpg

It's back on all 4's and drives pretty nice but I heard a wierd brake screech coming from the rear end. I went and checked it out...missing one of the 18mm caliper bolts on my rear pass rotor. AGH gotta pick one up tomorrow.
http://agitatedpancake.com/random/jeep/GSR10/DSC04549.jpg

AgitatedPancake
09-24-2010, 07:46 PM
In truckee now, omw

AgitatedPancake
09-26-2010, 07:50 PM
Ahhh! While I wasn't able to run the entire trail with you guys, I must say THANK YOU! It was an awesome time with great company, and our timing coming from both directions was awesome. Great times hangin around the campfire just chattin and talkin about the grands!

The only pic I have to contribute, and a good one to start! Can't wait to see the pics and vids from comin up cadillac hill today!

A pic of camp this morning around 7:20 before everyone got up, GOOD MORNING!
http://agitatedpancake.com/random/jeep/GSR10/IMG_0715.jpg

Shinobi
09-27-2010, 12:41 AM
It was defintly nice meeting you all ... me and the GF had a blast !!!! Can't wait to work on the new list of upgrades for next year :D

Pics are processing right now