PDA

View Full Version : Parting out my 97 5-Speed ZJ 33" 8.8 d30hp

Casey L
08-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Hello Everyone

I am parting out my Jeep. This is currently my daily driver and is a great highway driven Jeep with no deathwobble, but the stupid OBD2 compiter CEL because of the transmission and my need for a 30mpg commuter forces a part out.

PM me with what you need and I will get you a price. I will start tearing off parts in September.

Updated information on my website:

http://antilag.org/97zj.html

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4" Rubicon Express / JKS / Kevins Offroad Lift, Ford 8.8 Rear, Dana 30 HP front, 4.11, Manual 5-Speed AX-15 (http://1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4" Rubicon Express / JKS / Kevins Offroad Lift, Ford 8.8 Rear, Dana 30 HP front, 4.11, Manual 5-Speed AX-15)

http://antilag.org/zj_1.jpg

A Quick Summary,

This has been my Jeep for the last 5-6 years. The Jeep has been built from the ground up and wheeled throughout its life. This is a 5-Speed Grand Cherokee. It is not the most beautiful Jeep, but it is a strong runner. I recently (May 2010) drove the Jeep out to Michigan with a trailer with no problems. The Jeep is currently my daily driver and I drive it to and from work every day for about an hour on the highway. The short arm lift is a couple of years old and would benefit from new bushings / and overhaul kit. Will need a front driveshaft, underbody skids, sliders, to make the Jeep a capable wheelable rig. I never used cheap lift parts, because I don't want anything breaking on the trail. Unfortunately I have just been using this Jeep as a highway commuter and I have not wheeled with it since the last Fall Crawl.

I know how much money I put into the Jeep, and I have receipts for most everything, including many service records from 60K miles. This is a great unique rig that is very capabl

Front Axle:

Dana 30 High-Pinion axle from a 4 cylinder cherokee, with 4.11 gears. JKS lower control arm skid plates. Modified for WJ brakes with a JKS hub spacer. The calipers are Akebono and are powdercoated red. This setup accepts re-drilled WJ calipers. I have a jig that I made that will make this easy. Comes with brand new in box rotors and pads.

Akebono Red Powdercoated Caipers

1.5" Wheel Spacers

Rear Axle:

Ford 8.8 31 Spline, disk brakes

Welded ZJ bracks from an oem ZJ.

Riddler Differential Cover

2" Wheel Spacers

No rear sway bar mounts

Suspension:

JKS / Kevins Off-Road heavy duty front track bar and bracket kit. Adjustable.

Rubicon Express Super Ride Adjustable Lower Control Arms

Rubicon Express Super Flex Adjustable Upper Control Arms

OME Steering Stabilizer

v8 ZJ solid steering linkage.

JKS Adjustable Rear Track Bar 0-6in

Rubicon Express Twin Tube Shocks

JKS Quick Disconnects on front sway bar

No rear track bar

4" Rock Crawler front springs

Rear springs are the front springs (Front > Rear Swap)

Powertrain:

Does not smoke, good running motor

OEM 4.0L I6 with 188,000 Miles

K&N Air Filter

Taurus Electric Fan

Tons of recent service including isc, tps, rear main seal, oil pan gasket.

Drivetrain:

98 Cherokee Flywheel / Clutch / Pressureplate

98 Cherokee Master and Slave assembly

98 Cherokee AX-15 Transmission

NP231 Transfer Case w/ PORC Offroad SYE kit.

Tattons Driveshaft rear duble cardan driveshaft with 7" extended splined shaft.

Custom Clutch Pedal Assembly

Jeep Rubicon 16" Wheels

305/70R16 Procomp Xterrain Tires. Most are bald / wont pass inspection, but I do have a bran new never touched the ground matching spare.

Other / Body:

ARB Winch Bumper

Hell 500 Driving Lights

Kevins Offroad Radiator Support

Firestik CB Antenna

OEM gas tank skid plate

The Bad / Things that will need attention / fixing

Currently throws a CEL, due to the transmission not being there and the torque converter lockup signal not being there. I am experimenting with other ECU's, if that doesnt work I will build a circuit that will emulate the pulsing squarewave signal to trick the ecu into thinking it is in neutral all the time.

No front driveshaft

Clutch Pedal needs a bearing installed at the pivot point

No transfer case shift linkage, I currently use a 14mm wrench

Drivers side fender is a little dented

Needs new front rotors, I have them just waiting to install them

E-Brake needs adjustment, new brake hardware installed last year. I never adjusted it right and then stoped caring about it.

Motor is due for a tune up, plugs, wires, dist cap

Exhaust manifold is OEM and should be replaced / rewelded

Exhaust has a few leaks in it

Like I said before the suspension is a little old and could use an overhaul.

Everything that is adjustable in the suspension is really not adjustable without an oxy torch. A few New England winters are evident on the threads. The camber / castor and track is all dialed in, I wouldn't touch it.

Fenders are cut, will clearance 35's (Well, a 35 all terrain :) )

Front lights are all wobbly, header pannel will need to be replaced if you care

Cross member is an XJ cherokee unit and is just welded to the uniframe (was quick and easy, and secure)

My plan is to try and sell the Jeep now as it is, and if I can not get what I would like I will slowly fit it. My problem is if I fix it to prime condition, I doubt I will want to sell it!!!

$2000, OBO

Would be interested in trades for other vehicles. Stock cherokee's, Wranglers, or commuter cars, subaru impreza, etc,

More pictures available soon once I get a hold of a decent camera. Contact me for information or to arrange a meeting.

caseylacourse (at) gmail (dot) com

978 - (eight) 46 - 176 (five)

Jeep will come with all my spare parts (if you want), which includes:

A bunch of 242, 231, 249 transfer case parts.

5.9 Soundbar

5.9 Amp

Assorted rear taillights

WJ steering linkages

ZJ steering linkages

Factory Service Manuals

Chiltons Service Manual

Kevins Offroad Transfer Case Skid Plate / Heavy duty crossmember

Bunch of pictures throughout its life are here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/caseylacourse/My97JeepGrandCherokee# (http://picasaweb.google.com/caseylacourse/My97JeepGrandCherokee#)

A semi updared build thread is here:

http://newenglandjeepz.org/forum/builds/my-zj-re-build-thread/