PDA

View Full Version : Water proofing the headliner

Hockinaloogie
08-17-2010, 12:03 AM
I only have to work 2 24 hours shifts a week so I have alot of times on my hands.. Well I got borr'd. I love to keep my doors off but it allways seems to fuck up the headliner when it rains, even with a cover.. I did not take any pics but explanation is very very simple.. I do have it complete as of today. And if anyone is interested I can get some pics up and post it up. Since this is a non wheeling related mod. I just hated it when it rained with the doors off and the liner allways got screw'd.. But I did want to keep the headliner and not just take it out, just due to cosmetic looks, I am not worring about it being shown for a trophy by no means but I kind of like the inside to look descent.. Well, my wife does anyways.. If you are interested in this bassackwards hillbillies mod just let me know and ill post it up..

JordanA
08-17-2010, 09:33 AM
Just post it up. At least then there'd be a point to this thread.

Hockinaloogie
08-17-2010, 02:56 PM
OK.. It would be better if you had two people since the headliner is kind of fragile.. OK pull the head console thing off and both of the visors.. Ok now pull off your a pillar, be careful because the damn clips are very cheesy.. Go ahead and get you some JB weld just In case they snap off.. Slid down both of the B pillar panels and both of the C pillar panels.. Unscrew the rear panels and take them off.. Be careful with these as well as all three of the rear panels have the cheesy clips in them. Here is the fun part if your wanting to keep your headliner.. Move your seats all the way forword, of course it will be better for you to take your rear seats out and fold down the rear all the way and cock the headliner at a 45 and pull it out..

Now that it is out go ahead and take off the fabric liner.. and toss it.. Get you a shop VAX and vacuum roughly and take all of the fuzz off. It is very time consuming so make sure you have already got your beer on ice.. You will know when you got the fuzz all off when you start to see the fiberglass string stuff.. I used Fiberglass resin only. It took me about three cans from the zone and you can get it any were from lows, home depot, to wal mart.. OK If you never worked with fiberglass before, don't worry its simple.. Make sure you ARE IN A COOL PLACE when you do this.. Poor your resin into your pan (follow directions on hardener)..REMEMBER, if your in a warm place or in direct sun contact, this shit will harden in seconds.. You will have to work fast as this stuff does harden fast.. After your first coat, add a second.. You don't need to put thick coats.. This is your headliner and you don't want it to fall on you.. If you plan on using a truck bed liner, when it starts to harden it prolly wouldn't hurt to keep going a bit as it will start to clump up a little and it would be hidden beneath the bed liner.. After you have finished, let this sit in the sun for the rest of the day and then put it in your shed for a week or so.. Basically you are finished.. What I did with mine was bought some of that new bed liner.. NOT THE CHEAP STUFF.. I got mine from LOWES.. It just came out.. I am not at home so I cant tell you the name of it.. It is very light weight and durable.. Spray, or roll on your bed liner or paint it.. It will prolly look kind of shitty if it was painted but anyways..

Now that you are done, get a friend and help you put it back in.. Be carefully because it does only have two thin coats of resin on it and it can break if you are ruff with it, but it is better then having that fuzzy shit fall in your eyes every time you hit a bump.

I did just finish this.. These spray on bed liners do have a lot of over spray as you can see.. I am too lazy to wipe it all off, you can if you like but I will just let the wind do the work...

I am sure you guys don't need pics on how to uninstall/install a headliner..

So there you have it.. BassAckwards Hillbilly Headliner Waterproofing.. By none other than this the dumb ass, ME!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i286/hockinaloogie/IMG_0189.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i286/hockinaloogie/IMG_0188.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i286/hockinaloogie/IMG_0187.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i286/hockinaloogie/IMG_0186.jpg

OverkillZJ
08-17-2010, 03:25 PM
Kind of neat. I would've taken the lazy scotch-guard route.

Hockinaloogie
08-17-2010, 03:32 PM
Kind of neat. I would've taken the lazy scotch-guard route.

LOL yeah. I just had the time and one day I just thought of it and figured it might come out ok.. Very time consuming for such a gay ass mod but us hillbillies dont do much cow tippin when it is this hot outside. But I think it turned out ok.

JordanA
08-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Well... I like it! Good job. It reminds me of my old ZJ (black headliner - non waterproof - with the grey accent pieces).

It seems you bassackwards hillbillies can do things, afterall... without Obama cartoons to boot!

Question: was the resin required, or could you have just used the bedliner? I am guessing the liner may have simply made the headliner backer piece brittle (like cardboard and water).

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
08-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Wow... thanks for actually contributing to the welfare of the forum. :booya:

Seems like a pretty good mod. At least you won't have to worry about it sagging and coming apart now. Do you run doorless year round?

Hockinaloogie
08-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Wow... thanks for actually contributing to the welfare of the forum. :booya:

Seems like a pretty good mod. At least you won't have to worry about it sagging and coming apart now. Do you run doorless year round?

Yes I do unless we are going to take our kids out to our cabin in Pickwick, TN. Its a 2 hour drive and in the winter time with the kids, its not such a good idea. When we get home they come back off.. When me and the wife are in it, it is usually 100% doorless.. You know its funny how well you get noticed when you dont have any doors..

Hockinaloogie
08-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Well... I like it! Good job. It reminds me of my old ZJ (black headliner - non waterproof - with the grey accent pieces).

It seems you bassackwards hillbillies can do things, afterall... without Obama cartoons to boot!

Question: was the resin required, or could you have just used the bedliner? I am guessing the liner may have simply made the headliner backer piece brittle (like cardboard and water).

I chose resin to give it stiffness and I knew that resin will hold up for years.. Like you say, bedliner on headliner alone would be like bedliner on cardboard and eventually it will start to sag and probably turn to mush... I know that the resin would help it to hold up againts rocks and rough riding. If I didnt have insurance(resin) and im out riding for the week in nothing but rain, im sure it would turn to shit. Thats my opinion anyways.. You can try it without.. If you do let me know how it turns out..

JordanA
08-18-2010, 08:58 AM
Question 2: Did you resin BOTH sides of the headliner, or does it not matter because now the resin will essentially act as the headliner itself, even if the cardboard original headliner material disappears?

Hockinaloogie
08-18-2010, 09:19 AM
Question 2: Did you resin BOTH sides of the headliner, or does it not matter because now the resin will essentially act as the headliner itself, even if the cardboard original headliner material disappears?

Not the whole back side.. Just a few inches back, especially near the doors and windows.. I was concerned mostly of weight issues. Condensation does accumulate on the metal roof (even with the doors on) but there is a gap big enough to leave room in between the liner and metal roof. I did forget to mention that after the resin I applied a coat of primer and used a brillow pad to scuff it up because the resin itself would have been a PITA..

chadjans
08-19-2010, 01:15 PM
What is the pipe conduit for that spans you B pilar?

Hockinaloogie
08-19-2010, 02:54 PM
What is the pipe conduit for that spans you B pilar?

Its a mock up.. I cut the pieces that attach to the B pillar and had them bent at school, its 5/16 diamond plated. for the time being I drilled and tap'd them for the seat belt since they slide into the old seat belt sleeve. I took the summer off and I am taking this fall off so its going to be on hold for awhile. But anyways i was thinking of putting a harness in the front two and in the back three so me, my wife, and kids wont fall out since we run door-less 99% of the time.. The black pipe is just in there to get measurements and stuff.. I plan on changing it when I get the time.. Or I just may leave it. It may look shitty but it is nice and tight. I dunno. I don't want to pay all that cash for the racing seats with the holes in them for a 5 point harness, and I also dont want to die. The kids also like it to hold onto. I dont get rough enough with them in there for them to smack it with their heads.

JordanA
08-19-2010, 03:16 PM
I'm waiting on someone to start the whole "pipe v. tube" argument.

DJJordache
08-19-2010, 07:35 PM
TAG!
will be doing this once it cools down outside. I was planning on doing the resin route anyway but attaching a thicker fabric or something to help absorb sound.

I already have some sound deadening material stuck to the underside of the roof but will add more when I pull the headliner too.

chadjans
08-20-2010, 01:55 AM
I would doubt that the location of that bar will allow you to get restraints in the correct locations.

http://simpsonraceproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/big_up6pt.gif

Hockinaloogie
08-22-2010, 10:22 AM
That bar is adjustable. It can slide up and down as the seat belts do. Like I said I am not finished with it and I don't know if I ever will be.. At least for now it makes for a good fire extinguisher holder.. :D