PDA

View Full Version : Info on what steel sizing

FearTheDentist
07-29-2010, 11:10 PM
I'm planning to put up deer fence around my property- goddamn things are thicker than flies on :poke: and destroy anything you try to plant in the yard, wife won't let me make a "deer launcher". I'm going to be putting a gate across the driveway but want to make a "deer grate" (like a cattle grate you'd find across roads in cattle grazing land) in front of it to further discourage them (Bambi will have a hard time jumping the gate with a broken ankle). I've got very little fabricating experience, but I've got to start somewhere and this looks pretty simple.

My crappy photochop diagram is basically what I have in mind- 4'x4' panels using 1" angle (pointy side up eg. ^ ^ ^ etc) spaced 4" or so apart on 1" square tube for the structural elements. The panels would be set over a ditch 12" deep, supported on a concrete lip, with the angle oriented perpendicular to the drive. So, my question is- with the design I have in mind, would 1"x1"x1\8" angle set on 1" x .120 wall square tube be stout enough to stand up to normal passenger vehicles over years of use?

I'm probably over-thinking this, but have little practical experience in this realm and don't want to be finding out the hard way that I didn't make it strong enough...

OverkillZJ
07-29-2010, 11:26 PM
I like the deer launcher idea...

FearTheDentist
07-29-2010, 11:29 PM
I like the deer launcher idea...

Right into the flaming pit of death. Mmm... bar-b-que

it usually runs fine
07-29-2010, 11:33 PM
just use cheap pipe from the scrap yard. it's cheaper and would look and work better. like 2inch or sohttp://www.hawgtraps.com/images/cattleguard2.JPG

ArloGuthroJeep
07-30-2010, 12:11 AM
Yeah, uhm, deer can jump. A long ways...

FearTheDentist
07-30-2010, 07:44 AM
just use cheap pipe from the scrap yard. it's cheaper and would look and work better. like 2inch or so

That's perfect. Scrap yard- like a metal recycler? I'll have to call around, any other suggestions on sourcing?

Ken L
07-30-2010, 09:03 AM
If there is good stuff to eat on the inside, deer can and will jump an 8 foot high fence. Your house is going to look like a prison compound.

If you're rural enough, hunt them or find neighbors that hunt. Just a suggestion.

Also, human hair from barber shops scattered around keeps them away.

jborushko
07-30-2010, 10:22 AM
...human hair from barber shops scattered around keeps them away.

that works for rabbits to:smt048

Some people have luck with tying white plastic shopping bags on the fence every couple of feet. The noise and movement of the plastic bags seems to scare deer and keep them away.

FearTheDentist
07-30-2010, 12:36 PM
If there is good stuff to eat on the inside, deer can and will jump an 8 foot high fence. Your house is going to look like a prison compound.

If you're rural enough, hunt them or find neighbors that hunt. Just a suggestion.

Also, human hair from barber shops scattered around keeps them away.

Hmm...not sure what you're thinking of, but I'm hardly turning my place into a prison compound! I'm going to be enclosing about 5 acres with deer fencing, which is a 7.5' high black poly mesh specifically designed for this purpose. Of the 5 acres, I have about 2.5 cleared around the house, but 95%+ of the periphery is wooded. When set in the treeline the fencing is absolutely invisible. The photo below is my backyard- my neighbor has about 400' of this fencing along our property line- it's about 2' behind the treeline in the photo but good luck finding it. They've had it up for 2 years and have had exactly zero deer in their yard since. Not sure about your area, but from talking with a deer control company here they can sometimes jump up to 11' or so, but will only do so if they're escaping some kind of danger. Apparently they don't try to jump this deer fencing because they can't tell how high it is- they have really poor eyesight and can't make out the top of the fence well.

For the driveway entrance I'll be building a stone wall curving from the property line down either side of the driveway, and will be making a gate something like the one below (not much experience fabbing but woodworking is a different story). My problem is if I make the wall\gate so high that the deer can't jump it it'll look way to heavy and imposing for my liking. Thus the deer grate. Keep them 8' or so away from a wall they can't see over and they aren't likely to jump it.

And the last pic is just damned funny.

Ken L
07-30-2010, 01:54 PM
Gotcha. I was just going by what happens around here.

ajmorell
07-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Forget a fence. Mount a 50 cal on your deck and have at it. Save your lawn and your money when you don't have to go buy meat.

it usually runs fine
07-30-2010, 10:31 PM
That's perfect. Scrap yard- like a metal recycler? I'll have to call around, any other suggestions on sourcing?
I have a place that buys scrap metal from companies and resales for cheap near me. If I were you I would just stop by one of the big industrial fab shops or something like that, I don't think the deer will try to jump the pipes at all, they're usually pretty cautious unless you start feeding them.

rccolacc
08-02-2010, 11:43 AM
My neighbor got a few of these for his garden:
http://www.motiondetectorsprinkler.org/

He tried everything before, but the deer kept coming back. The sprinkler turning on and the water hitting them really keeps them away. Way cheaper than a huge fence...
-RC

ZJ TINS
08-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Or get a dog. Put a through door pet door and a short, cheap fence (for the dog) and let the dog have some fun!

FearTheDentist
08-02-2010, 01:46 PM
My neighbor got a few of these for his garden:
http://www.motiondetectorsprinkler.org/

He tried everything before, but the deer kept coming back. The sprinkler turning on and the water hitting them really keeps them away. Way cheaper than a huge fence...
-RC

Heh, that thing's cool. Have to set one up by my wife's car, won't she be surprised :D

I do have an ulterior motive for the fence though- I'd like to be able to let my dogs run free without worrying that they're harassing my neighbors. I'm definitely going to pick up some of those sprinklers to keep the racoons at bay though. Thanks for the info!

Or get a dog. Put a through door pet door and a short, cheap fence (for the dog) and let the dog have some fun!

The dogs LOVE chasing the deer off but unfortunately have proven ineffective as a deterrant. They sure look like hunting dogs in the first pic, but the second is more typical...

Brad S
08-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Moat for the win. Just saying... :D

http://www.dgolds.com/oldsite/Japan/Images/103_Moat_with_Castle_Walls.jpg

Katesdad
08-12-2010, 09:00 AM
UPS truck, concrete truck, garbage truck... any delivery truck...backhoe sewer pump truck ect. Never hurts to plan.

BTW love the pics of the lounging dogs.