PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Grand Slam Southwest Official Announcement!

chadjans
07-09-2010, 03:21 AM
Well we have picked the dates for the 2010 Grand Slam Southwest.

And those are:

October 15, 16 and 17, 2010!! We will be holding this event in the Middle Arizona area of Florence, Junction!

There are few new hotels in the Town of Florence (best) and Gold Canyon (good). Or if you are being cheap like me: PLENTY of camping in the Florence Junction area.

So

If you are attending, thinking of attending, post below, please.

See you all in October!

Chad

Sandy R
07-09-2010, 08:16 AM
I am a definite maybe. :)

EDIT: Change me to "out". :( Too much happening and too much that the Jeep needs done to get ready requiring time and money that I really do not have to spend between now and the middle of October.

All the fun to those of you that do make it!

Kauzi Zj
07-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Count me as a definite maybe also...work schedule being the main issue for me...

bshows73
07-09-2010, 11:36 AM
I'll be there!

BigDaveZJ
07-09-2010, 11:44 AM
I really need to make it down there one of these years . . . .

Kauzi Zj
07-09-2010, 12:57 PM
I really need to make it down there one of these years . . . .

Why not this year????

BigDaveZJ
07-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Not enough vacation time!

bshows73
07-09-2010, 01:22 PM
2010 is the year to do it!

Mtn WJ
07-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Well so far those dates look good for us. I am not able to make GSWs anymore so I need to get my Grand Slam Jones in somehow. We are a definate maybe.

I may be pulling my pop up camper. Are there decent campsites near the meeting area for a pop up? It is lifted and capable of mild trails if necessary.

bshows73
07-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Well so far those dates look good for us. I am not able to make GSWs anymore so I need to get my Grand Slam Jones in somehow. We are a definate maybe.

I may be pulling my pop up camper. Are there decent campsites near the meeting area for a pop up? It is lifted and capable of mild trails if necessary.

There is tons of camping spots out there for pop ups! So you are good.

chadjans
07-09-2010, 04:04 PM
I guess I should answer.

Me plus one.

DansZJ
07-10-2010, 02:36 PM
I'm in! Probably camping. +1 at least.

chadjans
07-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Got a call asking me to check if I put the wrong Junction in the announcement.

Florence Junction is the area!

Chad

Mtn WJ
07-12-2010, 12:33 AM
Can you describe the trails a bit?

I would like to run some medium level trails, pirmarily because I do not want to find a way to get my kids home and trailer my Jeep back to Denver if I break something serious far from home. Not a wimp with trails, just a cautious father when I need to be.

My WJ is built well and reliable, just needs to drive us home too.

chadjans
07-13-2010, 06:43 AM
Can you describe the trails a bit?

I would like to run some medium level trails, pirmarily because I do not want to find a way to get my kids home and trailer my Jeep back to Denver if I break something serious far from home. Not a wimp with trails, just a cautious father when I need to be.

My WJ is built well and reliable, just needs to drive us home too.

Keith:

I know this sounds like a copout but grab the Wells book for Arizona. Charles Wells can describe some of the trails that we will be offering better than I can.

I know the trail list will consist of:
Martinez Canyon and Cabin
Upper and Lower Woodpecker
Upper and Lower Ajax
High Way To Hell
Axle Alley
Extasy
Woody's Wash

and a few others.

There is plenty in the area to wheel. All in all goodtimes and we will be doing our best to keep people happy.

And I hope you do all realize this has become a low key event for us here in Arizona. No raffles, no sponsers. Just a meeting of friends. We will be looking to do a BBQ on Saturday night.

Chad

Mtn WJ
07-13-2010, 09:07 AM
Good I idea on checking out Wells book. I have a few for the Colorado and Utah area. Low key is good with me.

I will check the trails out, thanks for the list.

Keith

MitchRonda
08-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Damn, missed it again... (Dumb @$$ -too many pain pills - looked @ the date again & may be cleared before than -YEA !!!)
Guess thats ok since I haven't been cleared to WHEEL yet...
Got SMASHED on mem-day...
{26+ left hip & L-3 vert broken, 5 chest tubes, 2 major surgery's for punchered lung & spleen & Titanium shoulder rebuild...}
Got hit & run on my buddys dirt bike just out my driveway & have to wear my back brace for another 6 weeks...
I havent even really got to try the new 3-link & E-locker yet & FJ is just up the road too...

recon zj
08-23-2010, 10:33 PM
I'm in - vacation is approved. Probably will make a reservation at the HIE. Thanks, Chad!

chadjans
08-23-2010, 11:12 PM
I'm in - vacation is approved. Probably will make a reservation at the HIE. Thanks, Chad!

Looking forward to it!

Who else is in?

I will have meeting location GPS coordinates and instructions up here in a few days.

Chad

BMB
08-23-2010, 11:45 PM
Cant do friday but should be able to do saturday and sunday.

theksmith
09-20-2010, 03:24 PM
i'm 90% in for saturday and sunday! looking forward to meeting everyone.

hoffyinaz
09-20-2010, 11:27 PM
I'll be there Saturday and Sunday. Will be in a pop-up trailer some where.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

chadjans
09-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Well as promised here are a few GPS points that are of interest for this year's event.

As mentioned this year's event is being held in the area north of the town of Florence, Arizona, called Florence Junction. Access to the area is from Highway 79.

Exit 79 at Cottonwood Canyon Road (there is a flag pole, visitor's kiosk and car park area at this point), GPS point: N33 10 44.1 W111 21 04.4 http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=N33+10+44.1+W111+21+04.4&sll=33.203073,-111.31073&sspn=0.07153,0.109692&ie=UTF8&z=16

I will be camping at what I call the Undertakers Camp, GPS Point: N33 11.556 W111 17.855
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=N33+11.556+W111+17.855&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=34.671324,56.162109&ie=UTF8&ll=33.203073,-111.31073&spn=0.07153,0.109692&z=13

Each day we will be meeting at 8:30 AM at the carpark at Highway 79 and Cottonwood Canyon Road to run trails in the area. I will be on CB Channel 17.

See you all in a few weeks!

Chad

chadjans
10-04-2010, 04:14 AM
See this thread in regards to state trust land permits: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22818

Nakidgun
10-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Count me as a strong maybe. Jeep is going in shop on Monday and he promises I'll have it by the weekend. Friday is probably out but can do Saturday and Sunday.

Is there any shade there to camp by? I've been out there a few times but never really checked out the area for camping spots.

Also, I had my shop broken into last month and all my tools were stolen along with a bunch of other stuff. They got my portable air compressor I used to air up tires, etc. I don't even have a &$@! hammer anymore. If I break anything I'll be needing some help. I'll try to pick up a few up before then.

chadjans
10-10-2010, 01:53 AM
Is there any shade there to camp by? I've been out there a few times but never really checked out the area for camping spots.

Also, I had my shop broken into last month and all my tools were stolen along with a bunch of other stuff. They got my portable air compressor I used to air up tires, etc. I don't even have a &$@! hammer anymore. If I break anything I'll be needing some help. I'll try to pick up a few up before then.

There are some trees but not much shade.

Sorry to hear. Bring what you can and I am sure we can help if need be. I would only hope that someone would do the same for me.

Chad

theksmith
10-13-2010, 03:43 PM
not sure if anyone will be using price road at all on this trip, but this was posted recently on the VJC, thought i'd share:

We were heading down Price Road to access Elvis today. I was waved down by a friendly Pinal County Sheriff. Apparently, Price Road is private land with an easement given to the county. The private land owners are unhappy with the amount of dust from the traffic. So they are considering closing the road. This would make access to Elvis, Box Canyon, and other trails a lot harder. The sheriff wanted me to ask all our fellow wheelers to slow down on that road to reduce the dust generated. If we can appease the private land owners, the road will remain open. The speed limit is 25 MPH and somewhere between 20 and 25 was a good pace for low dust.

Lets get this out to as many people as possible, pass it on to any other sites you visit, and start telling any wheelers, quads, or riders you see.

It occurred to us that signs indicating that you are crossing private land and to keep down the dust would be very helpful. I did not think to ask the Sheriff about this. Perhaps the AZOHVC can offer some help in this matter.

In the meantime, we all need to slow down. An extra 5 minutes on your trip is worth keeping our access rights. If you post up a run that will use Price, please add a reminder about this to your message.

i don't want to hijack the thread with a debate on wheeler versus land owner rights please - just slow down a bit if you agree with what's being asked.

chadjans
10-14-2010, 03:05 AM
not sure if anyone will be using price road at all on this trip, but this was posted recently on the VJC, thought i'd share:

i don't want to hijack the thread with a debate on wheeler versus land owner rights please - just slow down a bit if you agree with what's being asked.

We are not using Price Road. We are using Cottonwood Road. Price Road is popular with the smaller rig drivers because the easier trails can be accessed from that road. All the trails in that area can currently be accessed from Cottonwood. I stay away from Price Road because it is difficult to get my trailer back there.

hoffyinaz
10-15-2010, 08:30 AM
We are not using Price Road. We are using Cottonwood Road. Price Road is popular with the smaller rig drivers because the easier trails can be accessed from that road. All the trails in that area can currently be accessed from Cottonwood. I stay away from Price Road because it is difficult to get my trailer back there.

smaller rigs and easier trails........................... I'm only on 29" tires with NO lift.

Nakidgun
10-15-2010, 11:11 AM
I'll be there Saturday and Sunday. Probably get a hotel Saturday night unless I get real ambitious this afternoon and pack up all the camping gear. See you in the morning.

recon zj
10-15-2010, 08:00 PM
Sorry I couldn't make it this year, but I still haven't got my rear r&p replaced from GSW. Have a great time!

gary

hoffyinaz
10-17-2010, 10:51 PM
I finally got home. Near Coolidge the Jeep lost over drive and got "hot" from RPM's being so high. I had to drive like 50 miles at like 40 MPH. All roads, except 10 miles on I-10

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

chadjans
10-18-2010, 07:52 PM
I finally got home. Near Coolidge the Jeep lost over drive and got "hot" from RPM's being so high. I had to drive like 50 miles at like 40 MPH. All roads, except 10 miles on I-10

Isn't 40 as fast as you should go with that trailer you were pulling? lol.

Glad to hear you got home though.

Chad

chadjans
10-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Sorry I couldn't make it this year, but I still haven't got my rear r&p replaced from GSW. Have a great time!

gary

Now you tell us.

Sorry we missed you this year Gary. We were looking for you and Sandy to pull into camp. Maybe next year.

Chad