PDA

View Full Version : millermatic 175 issue

BigDaveZJ
07-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Working on the trailer last night the welder started giving us fits. Started out not releasing any welding gas, then maybe 8" of linear weld later it shut down completely. When you turn it on, the fan comes on and everything, the green light on the main board lights up, but NOTHING changes when you engage the trigger. For troubleshooting this scenario the manual states to double check the leads for the trigger, done (even tried jumping the trigger switch), and that the Thermostat TP1 is open due to overheating. I doubt overheating is the cause, as this happened last night and it still does not work this morning. Anyone have any ideas?

downtowncb
07-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Did you check to see if the thermostat is open because it is broken? Baring that, it sounds like the little control circuit might be cooked...?

BigDaveZJ
07-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Figured it out. We tested the switch and everything last night, and it tested good. Did some searching this morning on the net and found a couple people who had the spade terminals at the machine end of the gun lead come loose. Took all that apart and sure enough, the wires were completely broken. Soldered them back up and spent most of the day welding.

Kraqa
07-27-2010, 01:30 AM
Side note. How do you like the performance of the welder. I won one at my koh qualifier. I haven't used it yet. But I do plan on keeping it formy shop at home.

BigDaveZJ
07-28-2010, 09:58 AM
For the level of fab work I do at home it's certainly done well. I've never ran in to any duty cycle issues and it's always been able to lay down plenty of heat.

cLAYH
08-29-2010, 01:51 AM
Have the same welder, used it to install my Clayton kit and put the brackets on my D44 and D60. Well most of them, did the uppers on the D44 with the stick at work as I welded onto the pumpkin.

After a fair bit of use the feed started act up, wouldn't come out at an even rate. Turned out the liner in the hose was dirty. Pulled the hose off and blew air thru both ends and got out a bunch of crap. After that it worked good again. I added a felt wiper right where the wire comes off the reel, just before the rollers and it hasn't happened since.

Its been a really good little welder. I've even dragged it out to the acreage and run it off a 3500 watt generator to do some trailer mods.