PDA

View Full Version : HF bolt extractors?

ATL ZJ
06-24-2010, 01:28 AM
Do they work?

Should I spend 4x more and get Irwin or Craftsman instead?

Apparently I've gotten good at rounding nuts off...

IndyZJ
06-24-2010, 02:33 AM
As in the kind you put around the bolt? I can't comment on the HF versions, but the Craftsman extractors are awesome. I have never had a problem with one and have never had one not do it's job. Being in the rust belt, my set gets used all the time on my family's projects. As much as I hate spending money, I don't mind spending a little more on a tool if I know it will last and do the job every time...

Sorry, I guess that doesn't really answer your question :D

jsteves
06-24-2010, 09:57 AM
The HF stud extractors suck bawls so my guess is this would suck as well. I would get a better set.

ATL ZJ
06-24-2010, 10:04 AM
Looks like I'll be heading to Sears at lunch.

This is a header nut on my Titan that I newbed up last night.

thanks guys

rstrucks
06-24-2010, 10:24 AM
On the topic of headers - are you running stock hardware? (I know you like good hardware Cam :)) I would suggest using Stage 8 locking header bolts. I have them on my Grand, well most of the header bolts are Stage 8's, one of them was a factory bolt as I lost one of the Stage 8 peices before installation. After they were on there for almost a year I found one header bolt about a third of the way backed out - guess which one.

Disclaimer - You could say I'm very loosely tied to this company as our company works with theirs on occasion. However, there is nothing in it for me............... unfortunately.

FWIW - I have the Craftsmen extractor sets and they have always worked for me and seem to be of good quality.

ATL ZJ
06-24-2010, 10:34 AM
Yeah the stock Nissan hardware is pretty nice and with only 100k miles on it, still looks brand new. I'll need to replace one nut but that's easily sourceable from McMaster.

I have the stage 8 locking collector bolts on my Hooker headers on my LQ4 and they work awesome. I have no doubt the stage 8 bolts for actual header flanges work just as well. But the Titan header bolts are about 100 times harder to access than those on my trail rig though, so I might pass on that this time in favor of just retightening them several times.

Who would have guessed you're loosely (which is ironic in its own right) associated with Stage 8 after seeing this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U15OxrX_NBc&feature=related :flipoff2:

FearTheDentist
06-24-2010, 10:37 AM
I have the Irwin set and it's never let me down.

rstrucks
06-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Who would have guessed you're loosely (which is ironic in its own right) associated with Stage 8 after seeing this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U15OxrX_NBc&feature=related :flipoff2:

:eek: Haha! What a product whore! Hell, they've had me talk about glass cleaner and fuel additives before, I just recommend stuff that I have used and know to work.